ADVERTISEMENT

German Plane Crash

Don't you people watch 24? If you implement drone controls on a 747, then the terrorists can control ALL the planes.

Iran already hacked and landed a spy drone of ours a couple years ago.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by F4Gary:
As a US commercial pilot, it I go to the doctor and he prescribes me a drug that I know I can't fly with in my system, it is my job to tell my airline I can't fly. Even if that doctor is a flight surgeon (Aviation Physiology), he doesn't contact the FAA. That again is my job as a pilot.

Now, if I go get my 6 month flight physical and something on that causes me to be grounded, the FAA is informed of that and I'm not issued a new physical until I get well. Even then, the FAA does not inform my company. That also is on me to tell them I don't have a current physical and can't fly.
You know F4, I was thinking as you said this that it would not cost that much (probably a half mil per airport at current rates but the price on the machines are going way down as we speak up front and maybe $100k for technicians to run it afterwards) to have the equipment and personnel to do an onsite nearly instantaneous mouth swab test for drugs and alcohol for pilots. That way you could instantly see if there's any unexpected cocaine, alcohol, benzos, psychotropics, opiates, etc... in their system and at what levels.

But then I'd guess 80% of flights would be grounded and that would ruin my travel plans.

This post was edited on 3/27 10:39 AM by FSUTribe76

Originally posted by 321Nole:
Don't you people watch 24? If you implement drone controls on a 747, then the terrorists can control ALL the planes.

C'mon rookie!!!! You put a password on the damn thing!

Sheesh....

3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by 321Nole:

That's what Iran said. But our government said it simply malfunctioned. I trust the US Government....not at all really. I assume 99.9999999% is a load of %*%^. But ditto for Iran. So which lying liar to trust?

In this case I'm going with good ole 'Merikuh. Our %*%^ level drones MAY utilise gps (and a lot of the non military commercial drones do as well) which can be hacked or "spoofed", but the elite level spy drones like the one Iran claims to have captured utilizes an inertial guidance system which is supposedly hack proof. I'd guess it's far more likely something simply went wrong than for Iran to crack our security and control a system they have no understanding of from the moment they gained control.

Originally posted by SeaPA:
Originally posted by seminole97:
Mental illness isn't logical.
That's why my wife deals with those people and I prefer to deal with machines.
I'd like to read your wife's case study on why you refer to yourself as "those people."
Highly underrated post!!!!

Lubitz's health timeline
2009: Breaks off pilot training while still in his
early twenties after suffering "depressions and anxiety attacks", the
German tabloid Bild reports, quoting Lufthansa medical files. Resumes
training after 18 months of treatment, according to Bild
2013: Qualifies "with flying colours" as pilot, according to Lufthansa
2013-2015: Medical file quoted by Bild marks him as requiring "specific regular medical examination" but no details are given
February 2015: Undergoes diagnosis at Duesseldorf
University Clinic for an unspecified illness; clinic has clarified the
illness was not depression
10 March 2015: Again attends Duesseldorf University Clinic
24 March 2015:Is believed to have deliberately crashed airliner, killing himself and 149 others
26 March 2015: Prosecutors announce that two sick notes have been found torn up at his addresses in Germany

Read more here... This downward spiral of mental health is not uncommon for people who are being treated for anxiety long-term with benzos. The drugs put you into a deressed state then they put you on an anti-depressant to deal with that and then you go mad. It happens all the time. Not saying that's what happened here but if Vegas put odds on it I'd bet the house...

This downward spiral of mental health is not uncommon for people who are being treated for anxiety long-term with benzos. The drugs put you into a deressed state then they put you on an anti-depressant to deal with that and then you go mad. It happens all the time. Not saying that's what happened here but if Vegas put odds on it I'd bet the house...

Obvious solution to this problem is to ban planes.

At lunch I thought I'd find out some news about the war in Yemen that involves almost every country in the middle east, but it's all plane crash all the time.

Originally posted by seminole97:

Obvious solution to this problem is to ban planes.

At lunch I thought I'd find out some news about the war in Yemen that involves almost every country in the middle east, but it's all plane crash all the time.
I would simply ban the wheel. Ever since its invention, it has resulted in all manner of mayhem and a spiraling amount of deaths and accidents. Manufacturing tragedies, industrial catastrophies........and don't get me started on automobile deaths -- they dwarf aviation fatalities.

This post was edited on 3/30 2:05 PM by Spearchucker87

It's good that there are discussions of mental illness on the news in the wake of this, but I can't help but think that if someone who was mentally ill took an AR15 and killed 150 people that gun control/elimination would be the only discussion.

Originally posted by TeacherNole:

It's good that there are discussions of mental illness on the news in the wake of this, but I can't help but think that if someone who was mentally ill took an AR15 and killed 150 people that gun control/elimination would be the only discussion.
Tend to agree

Yeah, ban planes and wheels because they were constructed to be lethal weapons. Come on now, you can make your argument with a little more intelligence.

Ahhhh, still a political backdrop to everything, lol. I didn't even consider the gun analogy when I read Seminole97's comment on banning planes, and wasn't thinking about it at all when I made the followup on banning the wheel, it was just a joke I'd heard recently that I liked. Obviously we could save tens of thousands of US lives quarterly by banning the wheel, but we won't. It highlights the fact that we will always engage in tradeoffs between competing values.

For the record I'm pro gun rights, but there's probably some things that could be done at the margins to tighten up safety / criminal access to guns without significantly hindering lawful access to firearms. I'm not a gun owner but will probably get around to it eventually.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, misses an opportunity to make light of or turn a tragedy into a pro-gun argument with an illogical analogy like the pro-gun crowd does.

Even the Westboro Baptist people skip a funeral here and there...

Wow, did they really recover a video chip from somebody's cellphone? Could be a hoax, although It does sound about right.

A video allegedly found at the crash site of Germanwings Flight 9525 captures the terrifying moments inside the passenger jet before it slammed into a mountain in the French Alps, two media outlets reported Tuesday.

………….the video was found on a memory chip that could have come from a cellphone. Paris Match said the footage was found "among the wreckage by a source close to the investigation."

Paris Match reported that "you can hear cries of 'My God' in several languages" and metallic banging, perhaps of the pilot trying to open the cockpit door with a heavy object. It said the screaming intensified toward the end, after a heavy shake.

…………… "even though the scene on board is chaotic and completely shaky, and no individual person can be identified, the accuracy of the video is beyond question."

Paris Match says the video corroborates some of the contents of the plane's cockpit recording. On Sunday, French officials refused to confirm or deny a partial transcript that Bild said it had obtained of the cockpit recording. The paper reported that the pilot left for the toilet shortly before 10:30 a.m. and was heard trying unsuccessfully to get into the cockpit again a few minutes later, then shouting "for God's sake open the door."

As passengers began screaming and the pilot continued pounding on the door, an automatic warning went off: "Terrain. Pull up."

The captain screamed "open the damn door," as co-pilot Andreas Lubitz could be heard breathing normally.
This post was edited on 3/31 5:53 PM by Spearchucker87

Cellphone video from inside cabin?

Originally posted by cmanole:
Lubitz's health timeline
2013-2015: Medical file quoted by Bild marks him as requiring "specific regular medical examination" but no details are given
24 March 2015:Is believed to have deliberately crashed airliner, killing himself and 149 others
26 March 2015: Prosecutors announce that two sick notes have been found torn up at his addresses in Germany

I told you so.

"Medical records indicate that Andreas Lubitz, the co-pilot who crashed the Germanwings plane last week in the French Alps, was on medications for depression, anxiety and panic attacks, including lorazepam, a tranquilizer that can have dangerous side effects, German newspaper Bild reported. Federal drug information advises that "patients receiving lorazepam should be warned not to operate dangerous machinery or motor vehicles" and that "in patients with depression, a possibility for suicide should be borne in mind."

The article goes on to say that "Lubitz, 27, was also reportedly taking an antidepressant, Reuters reported.".

And there is your smoking gun ladies and gentlemen...

This post was edited on 4/3 2:33 PM by cmanole

How long before they install auto pilot overrides in these planes to prevent this sort of thing?
What's to stop this guy from disabling an autopilot override?
No, get something beamed in from satellite that overrides whatever is going on in the plane. Push a button and say land at xyz airport...
Maybe in the movies...
Read this Gary. Can't link from phone. .http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/german-plane-crash/germanwings-tragedy-prompts-discussion-about-remote-controlled-planes-n343446

How long before they install auto pilot overrides in these planes to prevent this sort of thing?
What's to stop this guy from disabling an autopilot override?
No, get something beamed in from satellite that overrides whatever is going on in the plane. Push a button and say land at xyz airport...
Maybe in the movies...
Read this Gary. Can't link from phone. .http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/german-plane-crash/germanwings-tragedy-prompts-discussion-about-remote-controlled-planes-n343446
I linked it for you Cma.

I would think allowing control from the ground would open up huge risks to hackers. Whether it is just people wanting to divert a plane for fun, or others wanting to crash a plane, I see huge risks if they somehow allow remote access to fly the plane. At some point an unwanted person will hack into the system.

Link

If you have the "if they seek help for depression or Anxiety attacks they lose their wings" policy all it would do is force these guys to fly untreated.

Lubitz's health timeline

I told you so.

"Medical records indicate that Andreas Lubitz, the co-pilot who crashed the Germanwings plane last week in the French Alps, was on medications for depression, anxiety and panic attacks, including lorazepam, a tranquilizer that can have dangerous side effects, German newspaper Bild reported. Federal drug information advises that "patients receiving lorazepam should be warned not to operate dangerous machinery or motor vehicles" and that "in patients with depression, a possibility for suicide should be borne in mind."

The article goes on to say that "Lubitz, 27, was also reportedly taking an antidepressant, Reuters reported.".

A lot of people who die from cancer had chemotherapy. Clearly chemotherapy kills people.

Correlation is a hell of a thing.

Originally posted by MuchasVeces:
Lubitz's health timeline

I told you so.

A lot of people who die from cancer had chemotherapy. Clearly chemotherapy kills people.

Correlation is a hell of a thing.
Not in the same league Veces. Not even close...

ADVERTISEMENT