ADVERTISEMENT

Gold Cup Thread

I know CONCACAF desperately wants a US/Mexico Final but it least try to make it look above board...that's the kind of call that hurts soccer with the people that only tune in to events like this...just egregiously bad and embarrassing for all involved

Reactions: Lemon Thrower
After the game, Fox Sports had the former head of officiating on that they usually call upon. Not only did he say that never should have been a penalty, he also said there never should have been that much stoppage time added to the end of the extra overtime period. There is just no way you make that call at that point of the game.

I did not see the game and forgot to add extra time when I DVR'd the game, so how many minutes were added at the end of the overtime, and do the Mexicans have any players suspended against Panama for the five yellowsn that they got.
Well, the Ticos are probably the only team that is worse than Mexico when it comes to their fans throwing things at opposing players. Can't say that I feel sorry for them.

Agreed and I stated just about the same above, the CR fans are just a notch better than the Mexican fans on the scumbag chain.

Penalty came in about the 122 minute, and I am not even sure the Mexican player was even touched. By the time he took it, it was the clock was in minute 124. Announcers thought it might have been a dive.

Surprised that ref got out of there alive because the CR players were none too pleased.

One thing that I did catch at the end of the shootout between Panama and TnT was that Fox put displayed a graphic that declared thqt Panama won 6-5 on PK's. Panama did not win on PK's, Panama ADVANCED on PK's, as the game is officially a draw. I would have thought that Fox was better than this.

I see the attendance was almost 75K for the games yesterday, just about double than what the US drew in Baltimore on Saturday.

Penalty came in about the 122 minute, and I am not even sure the Mexican player was even touched. By the time he took it, it was the clock was in minute 124. Announcers thought it might have been a dive.

Surprised that ref got out of there alive because the CR players were none too pleased.

The replay is on at 1:00 PM today, hopefully the end of the game is covered as if live and not edited.

Yeah, Peralta should've already been red-carded for his scissors-kick takedown. And Wynalda commented that his dive that resulted in the PK should've been a yellow on him it was that bad.

Worst part is that going to see the US on Wednesday is certain to be spoiled by all the obnoxious Mexican fans that will flock in to the Dome. Puts a bit of a damper on the experience. Guess I'll have to practice the proper accents on the only Spanish I know--'Dos a Cero'.

Reactions: Lemon Thrower
I believe the call was made by the AR on the close (TV) side, and the center went along with it.
If the AR who had the perfect view to see that it was a flop made that call, he has been paid off by someone. I was going to ask this board if an AR can meet and talk the Ref out of a call assuming the ref made it . But if the AR made that call I am speechless.

If the AR who had the perfect view to see that it was a flop made that call, he has been paid off by someone. I was going to ask this board if an AR can meet and talk the Ref out of a call assuming the ref made it . But if the AR made that call I am speechless.

Just my understanding of the situation; don't quote me on it. Regardless, I haven't seen any angles that warrant the call. I honestly believe the fix was in (and may still be).

too many other things to do in S. Fla, like watch the Canes.

OR
2311pc.jpg

ups15.jpg
goodgolly7.jpg

Worst part is that going to see the US on Wednesday is certain to be spoiled by all the obnoxious Mexican fans that will flock in to the Dome. Puts a bit of a damper on the experience. Guess I'll have to practice the proper accents on the only Spanish I know--'Dos a Cero'.

Ed-
Seriously will it be safe to bring my 12 year old to the game (I've heard about the El Tri fans)?

Ed-
Seriously will it be safe to bring my 12 year old to the game (I've heard about the El Tri fans)?

Ever been to a live wrestling match in the late 70's to mid 80's, before wrestling was made for TV entertainment, where the "bad guys" literally were hated and the fans in the first 10 rows were filthy, toothless drunks? The Mexican fans are those first ten rows of wrestling, times 100! You and your 12 year old should be more than fine, as I assume you will be sitting with a predominately American crowd, and there should be more than enough time to leave the stadium before the Mexico/Panama kickoff. If the Mexicans had the first game, I would suggest not taking your 12 year old, especially if Mexico were to lose a close game or there was a controversial call that went against Mexico.

If you stay and watch the 2nd game, don't be surprised to see cups of piss, golf balls, sneakers, D batteries, and anything else that can be brought in and thrown. I wouldn't be surprised if boat or road flares were set off. I, personally, would bring my 12 year old and leave after the first game.

Ever been to a live wrestling match in the late 70's to mid 80's, before wrestling was made for TV entertainment, where the "bad guys" literally were hated and the fans in the first 10 rows were filthy, toothless drunks? The Mexican fans are those first ten rows of wrestling, times 100! You and your 12 year old should be more than fine, as I assume you will be sitting with a predominately American crowd, and there should be more than enough time to leave the stadium before the Mexico/Panama kickoff. If the Mexicans had the first game, I would suggest not taking your 12 year old, especially if Mexico were to lose a close game or there was a controversial call that went against Mexico.

If you stay and watch the 2nd game, don't be surprised to see cups of piss, golf balls, sneakers, D batteries, and anything else that can be brought in and thrown. I wouldn't be surprised if boat or road flares were set off. I, personally, would bring my 12 year old and leave after the first game.

Sounds like Atlanta Police needs to be out in force. I wonder if anyone has tipped them (or done security) off as to how bad those fans are. Mexico doesn't play in ATL often.

Gwinnett,

You can be sure the popo know what it's likely to be like; thankfully, as Manch said, our game should be over and we're out of there before the Mexican contingent really starts filing in. You (and your daughter) should be fine.

Got an email yesterday from Ticketmaster listing all the things you can't bring in--vuvuzuelas (lol), air horns, large flags and signs, etc. Appears they're attempting to head off issues before they walk in the door.
Also, this from the new MLS franchise for those (like me) arriving early to soak up the atmosphere:

Ed,

Thank you to all of our Founding Members for making the official Atlanta United launch celebration a night to remember!

We’re excited to welcome our newest Founding Members and can’t wait to share the Atlanta United journey with all of you as we build toward our first match in 2017.

Relive the Atlanta United launch event now!

Gold Cup on Wednesday, July 22

The 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup Semi-Finals take place this Wednesday, July 22 at the Georgia Dome.

Please visit us at the Futbol Fiesta located at International Plaza next to the Georgia Dome from 4pm – 9pm. We’ll have a meet & greet with Atlanta United President Darren Eales and Technical Director Carlos Bocanegra from 4:15pm – 5:00pm, photos at our Atlanta United photo booth, a sign-making station and special giveaways!

Atlanta United merchandise will be available for purchase at our pop-up store across from Georgia Dome Gate B on Northside Drive.

We look forward to seeing you on Wednesday!
- Atlanta United

ITT, OTPers are being OTPers.

Oh no, mexicans! Oh no, minorities! Hide your wife and daughters!

You should go to one of the Mexican matches, yell "Dos a cero!" in a crowd of them right after they got a "controversial" call against them, and watch what happens.

you still sore that the Braves are moving to Cobb County?

Nope. You guys deserve each other. The fact that Cobb is so ass-backwards and forty years behind the times. You champion the fact that you are the bastion of conservatism in the south, yet allow a non-democratic process, behind closed doors government agency, provide $400m of public money to a private, for profit, organization. And nobody gives two shits.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
You should go to one of the Mexican matches, yell "Dos a cero!" in a crowd of them right after they got a "controversial" call against them, and watch what happens.

I've been to a few matches in Mexico City, and never seen any poor behavior that I haven't seen any any NFL or college stadiums. But it's nice to stereotype an entire nationality.

I've been to a few matches in Mexico City, and never seen any poor behavior that I haven't seen any any NFL or college stadiums. But it's nice to stereotype an entire nationality.

Yeah, because NFL and college fans consistently pelt players during the run of play and such. Got it, head in sand...

Starting lineup for Jamaica match...

4-2-3-1

Guzan
Evans/Brooks/Alvarado/Johnson
Beckerman/Bradley
Bedoya/Dempsey/Zardes
Johannsson

I like it. No Chandler (biggest positive). Interesting offensive-approach given the "mids". And somehow Omar Gonzalez has found is way out of Jurgen's favorites for what seems like good.

We're playing so sloppy. Jamaica goes up 1-0 because Alvarado and Brooks can't defend a header

And as soon as I type that, Guzan inexplicably walks over the line with the ball in his hand, and Jamaica converts on the free kick. 2-0. wow

How much does this set back US soccer. We should maybe lose to Mexico in Mexico. There is no Concacaf team we should ever lose to at home.

We left about 20 minutes into the Mexico game.... some thoughts/ observations:

1. Good showing of US fans-- the American Outlaws showed up in force
2. We still have absolutely no technical ability-- you mean we can't lower our shoulder pads and plow through a defender? I'm not sure this will ever not be the American way.... If it's not set pieces we have a hard time scoring
3. The Mexican fans weren't bad at all... except I could tell that as the night got later the drinks continued to flow. I heard there was a time after we left where some fans through debris on the pitch--- after a Panama player did something?
3b. I've never been to a national game over in Europe-- I would love to compare the atmosphere of England, Italy's or Spain's to the Mexican game day atmosphere. The Mexican fans for the most part turn this into a party. The drumbeats, chants, singing,--- I was impressed. Are the Euro countries like this as well? Impressive....
4. The GA Dome lines are concession lines are horrendous. We waited 25 minutes in one line and then 15 more in another trip.
5. I feel demoralized after this loss-- very similar to an FSU football loss. We have no business losing to a CONCACAF team at home....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT