ADVERTISEMENT

GoT season 5 episode 6

iupnole1

Contributor
Aug 30, 2005
just when we thought Sansa was progressing and gaining confidence that happened. I was so hoping she pulled a knife out and killed Ramsay. What did everyone think of the episode??

Normally I like the fight scenes on GOT, but I thought the Jaime and Bron versus Sand Snakes was either the worst or one of the worst. I definitely felt a Syfy level of professionalism vibe. That could be because I just finished Daredevil on Sat and watched Mad Max that Sun morning, but I was tres decu.

I've hated Sansa and her storyline in every facet and every medium so that was just more of the same as far as I was concerned.

Reactions: peezy28
One of the best episodes ever. So many story lines hit within 1 episode. Not sure where to start.

The Faceless Man temple reminded me of the mines of Moria. I kept waiting for Gimly to pop out.

The ending was pretty rough to watch. I half expected Theon to do something. Left me a little uneasy when they just faded out.

Everything about Theon was finally set up to perfectly fall into place by him killing Ramsey. And no. Dumb and tough to watch

The ending was pretty rough to watch. I half expected Theon to do something. Left me a little uneasy when they just faded out.
Should we expect anything less from Ramsey? I figured that sick bastard would have made her have sex with Reek.

Should we expect anything less from Ramsey? I figured that sick bastard would have made her have sex with Reek.

Not really possible for Reek, unless he's on the receiving end. The best he can do now is hit a triple.

Yeah, I wondered during that fight scene if the show runners had second thoughts on casting or if it was on the director/fight coordinator.

Speaking of the scene in the House of Black and White, I thought this was on point:

"@mattyglesias 19h19 hours ago
Kudos to Game of Thrones for giving the black levels on all our TVs a nice rigorous test."

Cersei is going to topple House Lannister.

Once Reek said he was "Theon Greyjoy" when giving away Sansa I thought he might be coming around. Oh well.

It was good....I was a little annoyed that Tyrion is on another route once again...was looking forward to him meeting Daenerys, two of my more favorite characters. Would be great if he were drunk and she was naked when that happened, but not going to happen.

The raping was uncomfortable. I was hoping Reek would snap and grab a letter opener and get him in the jugular.

And it's about time for a main character to die again...seems like it's been awhile.

Several of my friends believe that Reek crying/looking utterly lost is the breaking point. That instead of abuse being thrown of himself (which Ramsey has instilled a mindset of him being garbage, ergo you treat garbage like garbage), the torture is inflicted on a sweet girl that he knew all his life.

Good episode. Glad the cheesy fight didn't lead to a Bronn death. Glad Areo Hotah got some love. Looks like Jaime can go back to his book plotline after all.

It was an ok episode. No real surprises. In some ways they are back to following the books which is nice.

It was an ok episode. No real surprises. In some ways they are back to following the books which is nice.

Never understood the fight scene. They grabbed the whip several times. Seems as if you would cut it with your sword no?
Hated the Sansa scene. And i think the Aria is just a wasted character at this point

Reactions: nolesfan73
Think This is the breaking point for Reek, I've got a feeling Theon is gonna come back a little bit

Never understood the fight scene. They grabbed the whip several times. Seems as if you would cut it with your sword no?
Hated the Sansa scene. And i think the Aria is just a wasted character at this point
I don't think Arya will be a wasted character at all. They are setting up something big for her.
I agree the sand snake fight was hokey.
Sansa seems like she is just supposed to be going from one horrible situation to a worse one time after time. In the end I think she will live happily ever after, not sure how but how much more can they really do to her?

It was good....I was a little annoyed that Tyrion is on another route once again...was looking forward to him meeting Daenerys, two of my more favorite characters. Would be great if he were drunk and she was naked when that happened, but not going to happen.

The raping was uncomfortable. I was hoping Reek would snap and grab a letter opener and get him in the jugular.

And it's about time for a main character to die again...seems like it's been awhile.
Pretty sure Tyrion actually convinced the pirates to take them to Mareen with his story.

Reactions: DanC78
Several of my friends believe that Reek crying/looking utterly lost is the breaking point. That instead of abuse being thrown of himself (which Ramsey has instilled a mindset of him being garbage, ergo you treat garbage like garbage), the torture is inflicted on a sweet girl that he knew all his life.

Good episode. Glad the cheesy fight didn't lead to a Bronn death. Glad Areo Hotah got some love. Looks like Jaime can go back to his book plotline after all.
If I saw it right, Bronn got cut. Not a big cut, but a cut. And they're the Viper's kids. That's not good.

I know it's just show plot to move a story line but I have a difficult time imagining the King's Guard, Army of House Lannister, and Army of House Tyrell scared of some barefoot club carrying dudes dressed in feed sacks. I know Cersei is manipulating the situation but still. It's fiction. I get it. Just one of those you have to be kidding me situations.

I know it's just show plot to move a story line but I have a difficult time imagining the King's Guard, Army of House Lannister, and Army of House Tyrell scared of some barefoot club carrying dudes dressed in feed sacks. I know Cersei is manipulating the situation but still. It's fiction. I get it. Just one of those you have to be kidding me situations.

That's just an example of the show not having enough time and space to show all of the details. But in the book world, the guards would have been intimidated by the Faith Militant. There are only two types, the "Gold Cloaks" or City Guards which are just usually poor and poorly trained common folk and the seven members of the "White Cloaks" or Kingsguard who are supposed to be (but were not in reality) the best of the nobility. Varys said early in the books that Selmy was the only one who had any "steel". At the time Tommen is King, there's only a handful still around.

1) Jaime is off running around for Myrcella. 2) Loras is missing as well (in the books he's near death after a battle. In the series charged with being gay. 3) Kettleblack is imprisoned. 4) Trant has shown himself to be less than capable. 5) Balon Swann is in Dorne on a mission. 6) Blount is mocked for being fat and worthless and is made Tommen's food taster assuming he'll die soon. 7) Oakheart was killed and not yet replaced although he will be.

Facing the poorly trained commoner Yellow Cloaks and the few remaining but not elite White Cloaks are the two orders of the Faith Militant. 1) Is the poor lightly armed infantry in the "Poor Fellows". They'd be at most equal to the yellowcloaks, but maybe not as well trained. But the other order is the Warrior's Sons who are made up of some of the best noble heavy Calvary aka "Knights" (or in this case, Paladins). It's not just Lancel, but a large number of some the absolute best Knights have joined the Faith Militant. Mainly Knights from lords who lost (a lot are Knights that were survivors of Renly's host), but they came from all across the continent.

So yeah. Poor city guards and a handful of Knights with poor reputation versus not only some of the best Knights but fanatical ones at that equals....backing down before someone gets hurt.

Did the series do a good job of showing everything I just said? No. They did a %*%* job it.

Well, I think you are not accounting for the fact that all that is happening is precisely what Cersei wants. She armed the Faith Militant for just this reason. No matter what she told Tyrells about how this would go, she knew it would likely go worse. You don't think she believed Crazy Lancel was going to just hold an inquest then let the guy go, do you? She loved the result of that hearing - both the ghey she never wanted to marry and the DiL she hated are now in prison facing at best humiliation and at worst death.

I doubt House Tyrell has enough troops right now to deal with things in KL, but it won't take too long. And I think it's pretty clear the Lannister armies are about to be hungry because Granny T is pissed. This all works out so well for LF. He is about to have control of the Eerie and WF with whoever is left in KL being weak as hell. Stannis and the Boltons are about to exhaust each other and the Lannisters are Tyrells are about to get into it. Suddenly LF will be very powerful and this could come down to him and Dany.

Reactions: HulaNole
The king never gave the orders. I see it more as an intimidated king that's too afraid to make a difficult decision that may result in violence than the soldiers themselves being scared.

Reactions: HulaNole
Well, I think you are not accounting for the fact that all that is happening is precisely what Cersei wants. She armed the Faith Militant for just this reason. No matter what she told Tyrells about how this would go, she knew it would likely go worse. You don't think she believed Crazy Lancel was going to just hold an inquest then let the guy go, do you? She loved the result of that hearing - both the ghey she never wanted to marry and the DiL she hated are now in prison facing at best humiliation and at worst death.

I doubt House Tyrell has enough troops right now to deal with things in KL, but it won't take too long. And I think it's pretty clear the Lannister armies are about to be hungry because Granny T is pissed. This all works out so well for LF. He is about to have control of the Eerie and WF with whoever is left in KL being weak as hell. Stannis and the Boltons are about to exhaust each other and the Lannisters are Tyrells are about to get into it. Suddenly LF will be very powerful and this could come down to him and Dany.
Or maybe more specifically Littlefinger vs Varys? Those guys have shown to be pretty powerful puppet masters in a lot of the major events so far. If Varys earns the trust of Daenarys then he would be just as powerful.

Man, this show can be tough to watch. Hope there's a payoff for going through that, considering it was not from the books. If that's the straw that brings Theon and Sansa back together working against Ramsey, then I get it narratively. If the idea is that Theon's psychological destruction was so thorough that it took something that traumatic to bring him back, then you can justify it.

If it's nothing more than another in a long series of degradations and cruelties (with Ramsey and with Joffrey before), then it really makes me question the need to depict that.

It's lousy to see Arya tied up in this storyline. It seems like the kind of thing that could be fascinating in the books, but its too bad seeing one of the best characters sidelined like this. They're doing an admirable job, but I just can't help feeling like its impossible given the restraints of the show to make this whole faceless men thing particularly rich or interesting.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Man, this show can be tough to watch. Hope there's a payoff for going through that, considering it was not from the books. If that's the straw that brings Theon and Sansa back together working against Ramsey, then I get it narratively. If the idea is that Theon's psychological destruction was so thorough that it took something that traumatic to bring him back, then you can justify it.

If it's nothing more than another in a long series of degradations and cruelties (with Ramsey and with Joffrey before), then it really makes me question the need to depict that.

It's lousy to see Arya tied up in this storyline. It seems like the kind of thing that could be fascinating in the books, but its too bad seeing one of the best characters sidelined like this. They're doing an admirable job, but I just can't help feeling like its impossible given the restraints of the show to make this whole faceless men thing particularly rich or interesting.
They have really scaled back the Arya story in Bravos. What i have noticed though is the show , after skipping parts of the story , sometimes circles back and just presents it differently. An example would be the grey scale people and their attack on Tirion last week. So maybe they will fill in the missing pieces to the Arya story soon.

Not once have we seen Hodor or Brahn. What's going on with them north of the wall?

Amazing episode but a surprisingly horrible and cheesy fight scene between Bron, Jamie, and the Sandsnakes. Go back and watch it again...it was truly awful in every way.
Fight scene was really bad. Read a comment somewhere about it reminding them of a scene from Xena Warrior Princess. That whole story-line with Jamei and Bron is corny. It's almost seems meant to lighten things up because of its sheer ridiculousness. They are going to kidnap his niece (daughter), steal the other guys costumes like a bad cartoon where they pull them in bushes and come out wearing their clothes. Then they partake in wacky hi-jinx, with snappy dialogue.

Last edited:
Think This is the breaking point for Reek, I've got a feeling Theon is gonna come back a little bit
People keep talking about the scene as if it didn't have a purpose. I think it's the event that finally causes Reek to snap. He obviously wasn't going to do anything based on his own treatment, or them killing Rob Stark.

Tough episode. I agree with all the points so far. However with the changes, I'm afraid the Cersei is not going to get her what's supposed to be coming to her.

I love the the books/show but that episode was just another reminder that rarely anything good happens to the people who deserve it.

Tribe, just curious...have you read the books? :cool:

Lol, not only that but once I found out how much I liked them (I think book 3 had come out but maybe just the second), I made sure to buy a pristine first edition, first printing copy of the first book. I bought it for barely over face value, maybe $40 if that. Now it's going for $1,135 on rarebookceller. So maybe I should factor that in to the "best purchase" thread.

Tough episode. I agree with all the points so far. However with the changes, I'm afraid the Cersei is not going to get her what's supposed to be coming to her.

I love the the books/show but that episode was just another reminder that rarely anything good happens to the people who deserve it.

That's a wee bit of a spoiler though my show watched friends see it coming. Why do you think they'd deviate from Cersei's story? It's setting up perfectly.

Normally I like the fight scenes on GOT, but I thought the Jaime and Bron versus Sand Snakes was either the worst or one of the worst. I definitely felt a Syfy level of professionalism vibe. That could be because I just finished Daredevil on Sat and watched Mad Max that Sun morning, but I was tres decu.

I've hated Sansa and her storyline in every facet and every medium so that was just more of the same as far as I was concerned.

Yeah the sand snakes are the worst casting job yet

They are terrible

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT