ADVERTISEMENT

Gulf Place on 30A

Osceola1728

Starter
Mar 29, 2002
Anyone ever stayed there? We've never stayed in the 30A area. We just booked for the end of the month. I notice it's right next to Santa Rosa golf club.

Developed by a buddy of mine. Nice place. Not as busy as Seaside or Watercolor. Several beach accesses in easy walking distance.

Yeah, it looks really nice. Is Santa Rosa golf club a good track? We're new to that area because we usually stay at holiday isle or sandestin resort. Any good restaurants?

I live at the east end right by 30A, many more restaurants towards the Panama City Beach end than rhe Destin end but more restaurants there by Sandestin. Stinkys Fish camp, Smiling Fish are good. There's some good restaurants on 98 within about a 5 mile radius. I like Louie Louie. Check out Sowal.com dining message board

I'm sure you already know where all the chains are so I won't mention those. Some of the locals are;
Breakfast, Don Pedro's Cantina on US98 between CR393 and the western end of CR30A.
Lunch, there's a sandwich shop just north of where you are on CR393 on the west side of the street. The name escapes me but it's good.
Lunch/dinner try 98 BBQ. Owned by a friend. Also on US98 just to the west of Don Pedro's.

Played Santa Rosa recently. Good track at a nice price. Well maintained and was very impressed with the greens. It was tight though, so bring plenty of balls.

As for places to eat, it's a ways down from you by Water Sound, but The Hub is a pretty cool place. Several places to eat with a common outdoor, shaded dining area. Huge bar and there's always someone on stage playing a guitar. Have heard Luke Bryan has stopped by a few times and played already when he's at his house there. Place has only been open since May and they are still building parts of it.

I'm sure you already know where all the chains are so I won't mention those. Some of the locals are;
Breakfast, Don Pedro's Cantina on US98 between CR393 and the western end of CR30A.
Lunch, there's a sandwich shop just north of where you are on CR393 on the west side of the street. The name escapes me but it's good.
Lunch/dinner try 98 BBQ. Owned by a friend. Also on US98 just to the west of Don Pedro's.

I'll have to check out your friends place next time we're over there. I'm thinking about going tubing down the Blackwater next weekend (my wife and I usually go tubing in Itchnetucknee and Blackwater once or twice a year but we have been zero times since it's warmed up this year for some reason or another) and maybe we'll spend a day down on the coast to go with it.

You're probably talking about South of Philly, their specialty is the cheese steak sammich and you are right, it is good. Jeremy is a transplant from Philly and takes great pride in making it authentic. I concur on Don Pedro's, its much like the Donut Hole but without the lines. I'm a twice a week guy at 98 BBQ, John has always been a big supporter of our youth athletic programs and is just a great guy. Go on Thursday and get the BBQ nachos, its enough for two.

And Jamie, Smiling Fish has been closed for a couple of years. The owner is working at Whiskey Bravo in Seagrove and took his menu with him so its a little closer for you but the same food.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
You're probably talking about South of Philly, their specialty is the cheese steak sammich and you are right, it is good. Jeremy is a transplant from Philly and takes great pride in making it authentic.
Thanks. I was going to drive down there today because not remembering the name was bothering me.

Just came back from a week in a house in the Seagrove area and played the Santa Rosa Golf and Beach Club. Starter warned us about how "tight" the course was and a couple of my playing partners who don't play much golf went through many, many golf balls.

After golf get lunch or dinner at Stinky's, just west of the course. Outstanding. Also, I didn't get to the Hub myself but heard great things about it from family members. Dinner one night at Whisky Bravo. Good food but not much of a "beach" feel. Seaside is a zoo and parking there is next to impossible.

Also, don't go to Donut Hut in Seagrove until late in your stay, otherwise you will be back every morning.

Last edited:
Fish out of Water at Watercolor is a great restaurant too. you don't have to stay there to eat there.

Reactions: goldmom
Just came back from a week in a house in the Seagrove area and played the Santa Rosa Golf and Beach Club. Starter warned us about how "tight" the course was and a couple of my playing partners who don't play much golf went through many, many golf balls.

After golf get lunch or dinner at Stinky's, just west of the course. Outstanding. Also, I didn't get to the Hub myself but heard great things about it from family members. Dinner one night at Whisky Bravo. Good food but not much of a "beach" feel. Seaside is a zoo and parking there is next to impossible.

Also, don't go to Donut Hut in Seagrove until late in your stay, otherwise you will be back every morning.

What about fishing? Cant afford to charter but my two boys want to fish. Can we fish off the beach in the evening or is there a pier nearby?

You can fish off the beach - closest pier is PCB. You may catch a pompano or two along with a ton of catfish if you get some sandfleas for bait . I heard the perfect pig in gulfplace is good but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Also check out the growler garage not to far from there.

You can fish off the beach - closest pier is PCB. You may catch a pompano or two along with a ton of catfish if you get some sandfleas for bait . I heard the perfect pig in gulfplace is good but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Also check out the growler garage not to far from there.

I guess the best bait would be squid and shrimp?? Anything else I should try? Also, is the June grass gone? I hate fishing in that stuff!

Thanks to everyone for all of your suggestions. Its been too long away from the beach and I cant wait to hang out and fish....and just relax. If anyone has any other suggestions on what to do or places to eat , etc, let them fly. Thanks again.

I guess the best bait would be squid and shrimp?? Anything else I should try? Also, is the June grass gone? I hate fishing in that stuff!
Sand fleas or Shrimp. You can get sand fleas with a flea rake or you can get them frozen. Squid off the beach wont land you much but maybe some trash fish. You do have to have a valid Florida fishing license to fish from the beach if you are an adult. I haven't seen much june grass so far this year.

My fav place to eat on 30a is Edwards in Rosemary. Ed is from Birmingham and worked for years with Frank Stitt and Chris Hastings before moving to 30a and jumping around before he ended up opening Edwards.

Another good but very busy spot is the pizza and taco bars at bud and ally's. Caliza in alys beach is a stunning restaurant, very romantic. Food can be hit and miss, its by far the most modern style food on 30a. (cocktails are excellent) but the setting is so very worth it. Another really cool place is roux30a which is super small and a fun atmosphere. He does like these little dinner parties at roux and the food is very good.

I love stinkys and highlands house. Both are reliable and worth the money

The hub has great live music and a wide variety to eat. They also play sports on a very large outdoor screen. Be mindful though its quite expensive for what you get. Two Tacos and a margarita cost me I believe $22.50.

There really is not any terrible food on 30a. Wide variety of everything and its a quick jump to all the communities.

What about fishing? Cant afford to charter but my two boys want to fish. Can we fish off the beach in the evening or is there a pier nearby?

We saw several people trying to fish off the beach in Seagrove and my observation is 1) they never caught anything, and 2) it appeared to me very rude to the scores of people trying to enjoy the water. If you are going to fish there is a public pier in PCB and I'm sure other places. We looked into the charters as well but it seemed that either you had to have 5 or less people (about $125 each) or go on a party boat, which isn't a great experience with all of the crossed lines, etc.

We saw several people trying to fish off the beach in Seagrove and my observation is 1) they never caught anything, and 2) it appeared to me very rude to the scores of people trying to enjoy the water. If you are going to fish there is a public pier in PCB and I'm sure other places. We looked into the charters as well but it seemed that either you had to have 5 or less people (about $125 each) or go on a party boat, which isn't a great experience with all of the crossed lines, etc.

I'm talking about fishing late evening when no one is in the water, not middle of the day.

I'm talking about fishing late evening when no one is in the water, not middle of the day.

My 16 year old and a buddy of his caught two 7' sharks off the beach at night a couple of months ago. They paddle the bait out on a kayak and usually hook up within a half hour. They went out on YOLO boards a few days ago and got in the middle of a bait pod that was being crashed by about 30 sharks. They were so close to the sharks that they were being splashed when the sharks would hit the bait. Said it was kind of scary but cool as hell.

ADVERTISEMENT