ADVERTISEMENT

Heading to Newport, RI and Boston next week

ericram

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 5, 2002
Tallahassee, FL
We will be heading up to Newport, RI next week for my work and then to Boston for some exploring. We have tickets to see U2 at the Garden next Wednesday night. Not much of a baseball fan, so give me some places to eat and some things to do. We are staying in Boston Commons area.

We will be heading up to Newport, RI next week for my work and then to Boston for some exploring. We have tickets to see U2 at the Garden next Wednesday night. Not much of a baseball fan, so give me some places to eat and some things to do. We are staying in Boston Commons area.

I literally just took a trip to Maine, RI, Boston, CT and NH about three maybe four weeks ago. I only spent one day in Boston which is really all you need truthfully. We hiked the Freedom Trail from beginning to end, saw the USS Constitution, drank at some local vintage pubs (Warren Tavern is a moderately short hike from the Bunker Hill Monument and is a Revolutionary War era tavern) and ate around the city.

Union Oyster Bar is the oldest restaurant in Murca so of course we had to stop there. It is ridiculously overpriced but it was fine. Not worth a repeat though. Parker House is another old classic that invented Parker house rolls (duh), Boston Cream pie and the term scrod for broiled pollock, haddock and small cod. All three of those at the original PH are great although the menu and its decor is definitely about 40 years behind today at least. Is it worth the visit absolutely. Worth a repeat..maybe, I'd definitely return sooner than Union. Now as far as a place I would fly back for tomorrow, Regina's Pizza is amazing. I'd put it as my third favorite Pizza place I've ever been after Papa's Tomatoe Pies in Trenton (for original tomato pie) and Frank Pepes in CT (for white clam) and just ahead of the pepperoni at Totonno's in Brooklyn. Absolutely amazing pizza place and make sure you go to the original in the North End. Within walking distance of the original is Mike's the famous cannoli place (get the Florentine it's the best variety of cannoli) and the home of Paul Revere.

As far as Rhodie food, I absolutely loved Iggy's Doughboys. I went to the one near the beach, but I imagine any location would be excellent. They're famous for simple Rhodie seafood. They have the best of the Rhode Island Clear clam chowder (as opposed to the red Manhattan or white New England), their fried whole belly clams are amazing, the stuffies (quahogs chopped up and put into a deviled crab type of mixture and cooked interior shell), and the snail salad (actually made from whelk the large conch like sea snail not little French escargot land snails). The clamcakes were underwhelming because they had more dough than clam, but everything else I named was amazing.

Reactions: ericram
Newport is beautiful. It was the setting for the Great Gatsby. The home tour is awesome. Cool little town. Providence is ok. Brown University is very nice, but extremely hilly. If you are traveling from Newport to Boston- take the scenic coastal road that goes through Plymouth. The rock is disappointing- but the history is cool.

Used to vacation In Newport a lot. Be sure to take boat tour, lots of history on the Kennedy properties. Hit Christies for dinner and sit upstairs for view of Harbor. Walk around Long Wharf, cools shops & pubs. There's also a minor league team in town.

The wife unit and I went to Newport RI last summer, what an awesome summer vacation spot. If you've never been you're going to love it. I was with a buddy and his wife and his wife had gone to college there so we had pretty good tour guides. Lots of great seafood. You have to take a tour of the mansions and walk / run the cliff trail. I'll list a few of my favorites:

Brick Alley Pub
- It's a good pub, get the clams. Outstanding.

The Mooring - Seafood, a little pricy but you get great seafood for the money and its in a nice spot.

Castle Hill - This place has the best view in town, it's out of the way on a point with a beautiful view of the sea, I'd suggest going for lunch and sit out on the lawn and watch the sailboats go in and out. You will probably end up getting laid.

Midtown Oyster Bar - Well, it's an oyster bar. If you like oysters you'll be in the right spot.

Newport RI Mansions - Go see as many as you can, obviously don't miss the Breakers.

Take a jog or walk on the cliffs
- not that long of a trail and you can even negotiate it if you are a fat turd.

As for Boston there are too many good places to even start. Id say go to the North End and have a great seafood or Italian meal. It can be a pain to get in sometimes so if you're not there on a weekend it would be better.

Neptune Oyster Bar - They don't take reservations so good luck.

You have to get yourself a good lobster roll while you're there, I have investigated this subject deeply. I could make several suggestions, however I will only make one, primarily because of it's proximity to Harpoon Brewery.

Yankee Lobster Company - Don't mess around, get the lobster roll and maybe a chowder.

Then walk your completely satisfied ass down to the Harpoon Brewery and have a few IPAs.

Go to Chinatown and have Dim Sum for brunch. First you eat dim sum, dim sum more. Trust me, it's all that and dim sum.

The wife unit and I went to Newport RI last summer, what an awesome summer vacation spot. If you've never been you're going to love it. I was with a buddy and his wife and his wife had gone to college there so we had pretty good tour guides. Lots of great seafood. You have to take a tour of the mansions and walk / run the cliff trail. I'll list a few of my favorites:

Brick Alley Pub
- It's a good pub, get the clams. Outstanding.

The Mooring - Seafood, a little pricy but you get great seafood for the money and its in a nice spot.

Castle Hill - This place has the best view in town, it's out of the way on a point with a beautiful view of the sea, I'd suggest going for lunch and sit out on the lawn and watch the sailboats go in and out. You will probably end up getting laid.

Midtown Oyster Bar - Well, it's an oyster bar. If you like oysters you'll be in the right spot.

Newport RI Mansions - Go see as many as you can, obviously don't miss the Breakers.

Take a jog or walk on the cliffs
- not that long of a trail and you can even negotiate it if you are a fat turd.

As for Boston there are too many good places to even start. Id say go to the North End and have a great seafood or Italian meal. It can be a pain to get in sometimes so if you're not there on a weekend it would be better.

Neptune Oyster Bar - They don't take reservations so good luck.

You have to get yourself a good lobster roll while you're there, I have investigated this subject deeply. I could make several suggestions, however I will only make one, primarily because of it's proximity to Harpoon Brewery.

Yankee Lobster Company - Don't mess around, get the lobster roll and maybe a chowder.

Then walk your completely satisfied ass down to the Harpoon Brewery and have a few IPAs.

Go to Chinatown and have Dim Sum for brunch. First you eat dim sum, dim sum more. Trust me, it's all that and dim sum.
Great post, now I want to go back to RI.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We will be having a tour and dinner at Marble House Mansion and a dinner at the Pier restaurant.

Looking forward to the trip.

Tribe, what did you do while in New Hampshire?

Not much, we were just there for a wedding around a lake. Beautiful area, but we didnt spend much time. We spent most of our time (4 days) in Maine, a day in Boston (with a quick side trip to Salem) and a day in Rhode Island and Connecticut (stayed in pre revolutionary war mansion in Mystic, did some gambling at the Mohegan Sun and spent the day looking at the ships in Mystic). So as far as New Hampshire, I can strike it from my map but truthfully we didn't do anything other than attend a wedding around a mountain lake.

ADVERTISEMENT