ADVERTISEMENT

Here honey...stand next to that cute Bison...he loves us!

It will be a great shot to show the folks back home about how nice animals are.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/17/girl-16-gored-by-bison-in-yellowstone-park/?intcmp=latestnews

Natural selection. It's a beautiful thing. Bison are notoriously hostile mammals. I have ALWAYS given them a wide berth. But ...meh...that's just me.

We see nimrods out of the car with kids looking at the cute bears and elk in the Smokies Park near us. Population control just like the organ donors on rice rockets.

My cousin worked at the National Zoo (still volunteers there). She can't count the times she's had to tell people to not lean over the railing, stick their arms through the fence, try to feed the animals, hold their kids over the railing. People are dumb.

If you have never been to Yellowstone I can understand why it would be easy to not understand how many animals are in the park. It's a ginormous zoo with NO fences or enclosures. You are in their house. We parked in the lot to go watch Old Faithful. On the way back to the car we saw a lone buffalo in the lot - it had wandered up and was right there. People think because they don't run away at the sight of humans that they are "tame". Nothing could be more mistaken. That dumb State Farm ad about the two guys sitting in their car and suddenly a very large buffalo just slams the car is annoying but not off base.
Glad the girl will be OK.

Not surprising at all. We saw all sorts of stupid touron tricks last year when we were in the park. Foreign visitors tend to be the worst about wildlife. We saw people telling their kids to stand next to a bull elk for photos. Someone had hung a bag on the rack of another and during the same week someone had tried to put their kid on the back of one for a photo. It's amazing that there aren't more deaths.

Bull elks will put a hurt on you especially during the late summer early fall when mating season begins. We saw a large group of elk hanging around the little park in front of the Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel, where the park's post office is , and the Asian tourists especially did not seem to understand that they probably shouldn't get right in the face of that bull elk with the big rack and the short temper. NPS rangers had to keep asking them to move away.

I walked up on a baby Bison at Old Faithful while walking back to my car. I stop for a second looking at it and I hear this big snort, mama was laying down not far away. I was gone quick. Asian tourist and their cameras are annoying, they have to get a picture with everything.

Was in Yellowstone a few years ago (have been several times) in late fall. This one guy (not the above stereotype) was taking pictures of a big male and his harem. This clown got closer and closer to the group until the male took note. This fully enraged, huge male with antlers chased that guy around a pine for about 10 minutes. He struck and shook the tree at least 15 times, while constantly trying to gore the clown with the camera. Finally, he moved on and left the photo bunny alone. Guaranteed someone's shorts were dirty after that. Guy should thank his lucky stars that the tree was there, otherwise....12 inch eye prongs up the keester.

I also noticed some foreign tourists putting their off the boardwalk at the thermal areas for pictures. It's insane...they couldn't be more clear about staying out of there and why. I think many more people have been killed by the falling in the thermals than by animals even.

We did get too close to a bull elk (20 feet?) and got yelled at by a ranger, but there was a large group there already and we just walked into it.

But man...3-6 feet? That's REALLY close. I can't even imagine getting that close.

Reminds me of a video I saw quite a while back where a father got out on a safari trying to get a closer picture of the napping lions. The napping lions unfortunately were not napping and they quickly became the snacking lions. It was quite disturbing because the guys kids were right there watching their idiot father have his leg ripped off and eaten in front of them.

Reminds me of a video I saw quite a while back where a father got out on a safari trying to get a closer picture of the napping lions. The napping lions unfortunately were not napping and they quickly became the snacking lions. It was quite disturbing because the guys kids were right there watching their idiot father have his leg ripped off and eaten in front of them.

More than likely that's a fake scene from Faces of Death you are talking about. There's lots of videos of people getting eaten by lions and Tigers but the 70s tourist family tape is a fake.

About 20 years ago, when I lived in Colorado my buddies friend thought it would be funny to beep at one that was standing to the side of the road. We were in the car behind him and his friend, he was in a little VW beetle. He drove as close to it as possible, the bison didn't even flinch, like he didn't care. Bison and bulls have a similar temperament but are set off differently. I guess this clown thought if it turned he could easily get away, but those beasts are a lot faster than they look. It turned and hit his car flipping it over like you'd flip over a toy car. Now a bull would have kept on crushing the car, but Mr bison was satisfied, he just stood next to the car for over an hour not moving. The police came, paramedics and a wildlife worker all trying to "convince" the bison to move on. Finally it was satisfied and slowly walked away as if to say, "take that bitches". Guys were OK, and arrested.. I watched more than a few people think they could scare off a bison or one of the bigger antler beasts by shouting at them, like a black bear raiding a garbage can. WRONG idea!!

when i was 17 i was at Yellowstone with my parents. We were driving and came upon a buffalo kind of meandering along the side of the road. Naturally, we slowed down the car and tried to get a few pictures. The buffalo started to jog a little and got about 30 feet ahead of our car and walked right into the middle of the road. It was a fairly narrow road and the way he was positioned made it difficult to get around him. My dad started inching the car forward to go into the grass to get around him and this huge, ugly thing started snorting and stamping his feet, so my dad immediately stopped. He put his head down and started running at a pretty good pace right at the car. We thought he was going to ram the car, but he stopped about 10 feet from the car and started snorting again, then ran down the hill to the side of the road. It was a pretty intense few moments and i always wonder how we would have explained that to the rental car people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT