ADVERTISEMENT

High School Booster Club Question

RangerNole

Seminole Insider
Apr 13, 2003
A little info before the question. My wife is on our kids school booster club. We are a very small school, less than 500 total enrollment for K-12. The booster club used to be under the school finances but a few years ago they bought out of the school umbrella and just made the last payment, which in total was around 30k. We do have a successful athletic program with multiple state titles in football, golf, baseball, tennis, girls volleyball etc. Football is where the majority of money is made with auctions, concession sales etc. and now our Booster club has roughly 40k in the bank.

So the school admin which included the Headmaster and AD came to the boosters and asked if they could pay to refinish the floors for the gym (bball, vball); but the gym is also used for chapel and other non- athletic events. This is something that needs to be done every 7 years and the cost is 13k. Boosters were also asked to pay to build some sort of structure to try and eliminate foul balls from getting out of the baseball field cost for this is about 2k. Boosters were also asked to help or fully pay the salaries of our Athletic Trainer and Strength Coach; these positions are not full time and they are there for treatments and strength training stuff . Currently the boosters does not get a copy of the athletic budget, so they do not know where and how the athletic money is spent. Part of the reason for the school asking is enrolment dipped and there is less money for the school; enrollment did increase this coming school year, but the school won't see that increase in funds till late this year/early next year. So essentially the school knows the boosters has 40k and is asking them to pick up the tab for all these things, which would pretty much drain the 40k.

When discussing this with my wife last night I said IMO the salaries for trainer and coach should be a yes since the goal of the boosters is to try and set apart your school athletics by having people, coaches etc that set you apart from the other teams in your conference. As far as the floors and baseball stuff I said the floors should be a no since it is an expense that should be budgeted and the baseball thing is a capital expense that while the boosters should be involved in and help with any capital expense should be fundraised for separately. My opinion is anything that is a capital improvement should have a separate fundraiser that the boosters can work into their yearly goals. I told my wife that booster clubs main goal with money should be to help with coaches salaries in order to keep them at the school, pay for trips like going to state, going to otherwise not normal tournaments , games etc. and anything that is a construction project or capital expense should have separate fundraising with that capital expense as the only goal.

What are the booster club experts in the LR thoughts?

High school booster clubs are something here that is so political, that we have stayed away from completely, other than buying $50-$100 worth of raffles.

We have 3 public high schools here in Manchester, and a few years ago, Central HS, of whom have had very successful basketball and football programs in the state, needed a new bball floor and had to play home games at another gym. The budget didn't allow for any extra for the floor.

A booster decided to pay for the project (believed to be Adam Sandler), but the city only allows a certain dollar amount to be donated to one school (I believe it was like $2,000), so anything donated over $2K would be split up evenly among the other schools, so the city ended up shortening another budget to pay for the roof/floor needed.

I agree with you that any construction should come from separate fundraisers, as the above case I mentioned, Booster A should have been allowed to donate the improvements and the school's athletic booster fund should go towards equipment and gear........

I also believe however, that the coaches salary should come from the city's budget and not from any booster monies. Times are tough all over and maybe it's different because we have 3 high schools compares to your one and I believe the rules here are to keep all 3 schools on the same playing field (level) and to not have one school become a powerhouse because of richer boosters.

Private school vs public school booster clubs are very different situations, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT