ADVERTISEMENT

High School Football Canceled for Fall - Virginia

amstaff, this virus didn't spread (allegedly) when the protests occurred. Why do you think it would spread at an outdoor football game? What is the difference in those two events?

I'm not asking this question in a snarky, a-holey way. (just wanted to point that out)

amstaff, this virus didn't spread (allegedly) when the protests occurred. Why do you think it would spread at an outdoor football game? What is the difference in those two events?

I'm not asking this question in a snarky, a-holey way. (just wanted to point that out)

Virus def spread during protest...this isn’t a political issue and anyone who says otherwise is being ignorant.

Do you get out much?
My problem remains not being able to get in. Hard to get out when its all take out (Various Virus Eateries). You can almost tell if some people don't get out much. Just ask them if they've ever heard of Steve Perry. And there's your answer to such a fickle dilemma. :D

Last edited:
135000 dead football players in the US in a matter of 5 months...yeah thats sounds familiar.

Yes, because there have been 135,000 deaths of football aged people. College kids have a better chance of dying from alcohol poisoning than COVID.

Stay in your bubble.

Keep safe.

Our school board in Decatur, GA voted to go all virtual learning through at least late September. We start very early here (first week of August usually), and have a Fall break in late September. They pushed back the start of school two weeks so teachers can prepare for the virtual learning protocols. Sports are still going to happen, as well as marching band. So I assume we'll have high school football at least. My kids are only going into 5th grade so sports isn't really an issue. I just hope their soccer club can salvage a fairly normal season. I assume they'll be able to practice, but not sure how games between clubs will be handled. For the record, I was hoping schools would be open to attend in person. I am totally in favor of doing everything to prevent the spread of covid as far as wearing masks, social distancing, and cancelling any large group gatherings. My kids have been playing soccer and I feel comfortable allowing them to. But teachers are fearful of having to be in classrooms all day, and many parents are adamant about not sending their kids to school. Everything the board did was based on numbers and trends. They had four quadrants and the numbers indicated virtual learning was the only option at this time. Hopefully by Fall break (which will not happen this year) they'll be able to move to at least a partial return to school. But that will only happen if the rate of infection in our area goes down and mitigation efforts go up.

How in the world can the school board justify football/sports and not having in school class?

Last edited:
How in the world can the school board justify football/sports and not having in school class?
Good question. I'll have to look again at the wording. But I think it has to do with sports being outdoors and relatively controlled numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT