ADVERTISEMENT

"Hundreds ticketed under new Slow Poke law" Take that left lane cruisers!!!!

FreeFlyNole

Seminole Insider
Jan 2, 2008
They should be beaten.....

ATLANTA —

We've all been there -- stuck behind a slow driver in the passing lane. But WSB-TV has learned drivers are getting tickets for not moving over.

The update to the law on impeding traffic went into effect in July, 2014. It says anyone can get a ticket for driving in the fast lane, even if you thought you were obeying the law and driving the speed limit. It also makes you get out of the way of the law-breakers.

In just over nine months, the Georgia State Patrol has written 269 "Slow Poke Law" violations, mostly in the metro area.

It is designed to cut down on dangerous, aggressive driving and road rage incidents. The change to the law says a driver has to move out of the far left lane if approached from behind by a vehicle going faster than you. You should move to the right and allow them to pass, even if that driver is speeding.

"Typically where you'll see it is your two-lane interstates or three-lane just outside of metro area, or 285,” said GSP Capt. Mark Perry.

Gwinnett County officials have written over 100 "Slow Poke" tickets and Cobb County has written 200 since the change to the law.

One driver says he sees drivers getting frustrated and flashing their headlights.

"They would take the position of being the police and say, ‘get over, move, move, move,’” the driver said.

Troopers say they started with just education, not enforcement, issuing mostly warnings at first.

Even months after the “Slow Poke Law” changed, they do have to explain to most drivers it even exists and why they're getting a ticket.

"Most of the people I've dealt with, for them it was a completely educational experience. They had no idea,” Perry said.

- See more at: http://www.news965.com/news/news/na....com&utm_campaign=buffer#sthash.RthiT8ZH.dpuf

Not doubt that 99% of the people doing messed up stuff in traffic are ignorant...

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I would be totally in favor of police enforcing the slow poke law if they would also enforce the tail gating law.

You have to tailgate or else you will get cut off 100% of the time though...

Reactions: hav2bme
Second violation should be license suspended, third license revoked!

I wish they would do it on 75 in FL too... except for both the left and center lanes. Why people think the center lane is the slow lane is beyond me and it makes the roads far more dangerous.

It's a very simple rule. Did you get passed on the right? Yes! Then move over to the right.

So let me get this right... they are pulling over and issuing tickets to people who are going the speed limit in lieu of stopping the people who are actually breaking the law and have been inconvenienced by the law-abiders???

And you all are in favor of this??

So let me get this right... they are pulling over and issuing tickets to people who are going the speed limit in lieu of stopping the people who are actually breaking the law and have been inconvenienced by the law-abiders???

6a0120a95a88d5970b01a73d7634c9970d-800wi.gif

Holding up traffic in the left lane is also against the law. It also creates a greater danger.

Being a left lane napper is against the law and also presents a traffic hazard. It's time for people to remove their thumbs from their asses and get the F out of the left lane.

Reactions: CJRN

Yes. Stop being a bad driver and move out of my way. Oh and yes, the left hand idiots are breaking the law as well. They taught me that the first day of drivers ed.

Do you think the state puts up those signs "slower traffic keep right" for the fun of it?

Good point...

My thoughts exactly.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
When are they going to pass the "George Carlin" law? Everyone gets a dart gun that shoots a rubber suction cup dart with an "idiot" flag attached to mark the bad drivers. Once they've accumulated 10 flags they are banned from the highways till they pass an idiot drivers re-education class.

Because the State of Georgia (and I believe Florida) actually passed a law making what people were doing legally into a ticketable offense to protect/appease people WHO WERE BREAKING THE LAW!!!!

I don't want to hear one more word from the lot of you about government over-stepping it's bounds. Absolutely asinine.

Not everyone in the left lane is going the speed limit. Many of them are doing 5+ mph slower than the speed limit. Also, it creates a very dangerous situation to linger in the left lane with a large line of bumper to bumper cars behind you because they can't go around you because you are driving next to somebody in the right lane who is doing the same speed. Clearing the left lane also heavily reduces tailgating. People tailgate left lane drivers which leads to the previously mentioned bumper to bumper train of cars on the interstate which are dangerous.

Yes I am favor of this law. 100% in favor of it and it's long overdue.

Cops ticket speeders also and have for a long time.

Because the State of Georgia (and I believe Florida) actually passed a law making what people were doing legally into a ticketable offense to protect/appease people WHO WERE BREAKING THE LAW!!!!

I don't want to hear one more word from the lot of you about government over-stepping it's bounds. Absolutely asinine.

"Slower traffic keep right" has been around for ever, they are just putting teeth to it. Why would anyone want to force people to pass on the right? This is just common sense, and states are realizing it's safer to regulate as such.

I guess I can't comprehend why people feel the need to stay in the left lane if it means holding others up. I realize that I don't own the road (anymore than the next guy). I do my best to not let my driving habits effect other people. The best way to do so is to follow the long held standard of people passing on the left.

Not everyone in the left lane is going the speed limit. Many of them are doing 5+ mph slower than the speed limit. Also, it creates a very dangerous situation to linger in the left lane with a large line of bumper to bumper cars behind you because they can't go around you because you are driving next to somebody in the right lane who is doing the same speed. Clearing the left lane also heavily reduces tailgating. People tailgate left lane drivers which leads to the previously mentioned bumper to bumper train of cars on the interstate which are dangerous.

Yes I am favor of this law. 100% in favor of it and it's long overdue.

Cops ticket speeders also and have for a long time.

NO NO NO NO... the article CLEARLY states you can get a ticket going the speed limit while letting people who are speeding ILLEGALLY drive right on passed.

Listen... I speed, I think the speed limit on 285 is ridiculously low. But get the law changed... don't criminalize something for the convenience of people breaking the law.

HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE THAT IS A RIDICULOUSLY STUPID WAY TO GOVERN PEOPLE?????

Reactions: Bartdog

Here are the top 10 most common traffic violations (in order):
  • Speeding (by a large margin)
  • Running a red light
  • Not signaling
  • Reckless driving
  • Following too closely
  • Violating railroad rules
  • Driving in the wrong direction
  • Passing in a no passing zone
  • Not stopping for pedestrians
  • DUI
So they do enforce speeding and tailgating laws. Now (thankfully) they will also enforce the laws against obstructing the flow of traffic. About time!

Reactions: runkpanole
NO NO NO NO... the article CLEARLY states you can get a ticket going the speed limit while letting people who are speeding ILLEGALLY drive right on passed.

Listen... I speed, I think the speed limit on 285 is ridiculously low. But get the law changed... don't criminalize something for the convenience of people breaking the law.

HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE THAT IS A RIDICULOUSLY STUPID WAY TO GOVERN PEOPLE?????

Yes yes yes. Obstructing traffic is DANGEROUS and AGAINST THE LAW.

How can you be obstructing traffic going the speed limit?

Let's walk through this since you seem incapable of understanding basic ideas...

Easily. I'll keep it simple for you. Car in front driving in left lane is driving same speed as car in right lane. 20 miles of cars are backed up behind them. Not safe.

Here is a picture to make it easier to understand. The law wouldn't exist if people were smart enough to prevent this situation from occurring but apparently they are not.

1354690248_left_lane_driver_xlarge.jpeg

How can you be obstructing traffic going the speed limit?

Please name the times in your life that you've been on interstate and no one was speeding, and everyone going the speed limit or under.

The powers that be seem to be taking a common sense approach. People speed. Could they ticket all of the them, or at least try? Sure. Would voters let their voices be heard about this approach? Of course. It's not a feasible answer to the issue at hand.

They are recognizing that the safest thing to do is, force people who can't acknowledge the "Slower traffic keep right" suggestion, to move over.

Why is it so hard to yield to faster traffic? I've never once thought about making people slow down so that I can stay in the left lane. Never. Not even once. It's not my lane. Everyone owns it. Why would I make it personal?

Easily. I'll keep it simple for you. Car in front driving in left lane is driving same speed as car in right lane. 20 miles of cars are backed up behind them. Not safe.

Here is a picture to make it easier to understand. The law wouldn't exist if people were smart enough to prevent this situation from occurring but apparently they are not.

1354690248_left_lane_driver_xlarge.jpeg

So you are obstructing people who want to break the law? you are appeasing a criminal in the midst of committing a crime at the expense of a law abiding citizen? You clearly have a future in politics.

Let's take it way too far... let's make a law banning writing a check at the grocery store because it prevents an armed robber from actually getting any money...

A slippery slope, indeed.

Clearly the speed limit on 285 is artificially kept low in a revenue generating exercise, but instead of raising the speed limit lets just ticket people for not letting others speed around them because if they don't the law breaker (speeder) will commit another traffic offense and follow too closely...

Please name the times in your life that you've been on interstate and no one was speeding, and everyone going the speed limit or under.

The powers that be seem to be taking a common sense approach. People speed. Could they ticket all of the them, or at least try? Sure. Would voters let their voices be heard about this approach? Of course. It's not a feasible answer to the issue at hand.

They are recognizing that the safest thing to do is, force people who can't acknowledge the "Slower traffic keep right" suggestion, to move over.

Why is it so hard to yield to faster traffic? I've never once thought about making people slow down so that I can stay in the left lane. Never. Not even once. It's not my lane. Everyone owns it. Why would I make it personal?

This is a complete strawman and my anecdotal observations do not matter.

On the surface, I don't care about people driving the speed limit. I have admitted I speed. I have passed on the right.

What I don't agree with is passing any law to help the police because they can't do anything else about it... So if you can't stop people speeding we'll just get the most people out of their way as possible...

Nowhere in Mericuh is the speed limit followed. Having said that in most civilized countries not named Mericuh, Canada or Mexico it IS followed and heavily enforced.

In both New Zealand and especially Australia they have both automated traffic cams and cops ready to jank you over for even doing a couple of miles over. I got three tickets in two weeks in those countries and 1) I was driving a pink POS 4 cylinder rental car that would literally slow down when climbing a semi steep hill and 2) I seldom get tickets in Mericuh as I usually set my speed to about 7 over the speed limit.

The UK and France are similar although a little more forgiving of the slower speeders.

So yeah, if Mericuh decided (rightfully btw as it's an incredibly unsafe practice even though I do it on occasion) to actually regulate speeders it could.

This is a complete strawman and my anecdotal observations do not matter.

So if you can't stop people speeding we'll just get the most people out of their way as possible...

Absofreakinglutely.

What's the big deal? Why are you so troubled by this concept of moving to the right for faster traffic? We all learned "Slower traffic keep right" when we were 16.

I love the rant about big government in this, when it is actually colorado who thinks it is ok for himself to enforce the traffic laws. It is cool if he enforces the law, but not the actual people with delegated authority to enforce the law.

Why is "slower traffic keep right" such a hard concept? What gives slow ass drivers the right to park it in the left lane and hold up the flow of traffic?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT