ADVERTISEMENT

I continue to be absolutely baffled...

I like walking the beach, the sound of the waves, the smell of salt air, swimming in waves, and the breeze. But I do hate laying at the beach. For me the trips to beach consist of me either walking the beach or swimming. I lay about at the Air Conditioned condo.

I was in Amelia Island this weekend and had two very different beach experiences:
  1. We got into town Saturday morning, so after a quick lunch headed down to the nearest beach to downtown Fernandina, Main Beach, arriving around 12:30. Took about 20 minutes to find a parking spot. The beach was slammed with awful, Winston-smoking, sunburned, inconsiderate white trash. Lots of neck tattoos, lots of noise, lots of awful. Thirty minutes in and we couldn't wait to leave.
  2. Sunday morning we drove down to Little Talbot State Park. We got there around 10:00 and, after paying $5 to get into the park, found a parking spot right away in a mostly-empty lot. The beach was nearly secluded; a few shell-searchers and 4-5 other families with umbrellas set up. We walked about five minutes down the beach and set up our towels at least 100 yards from anyone else. We spent a couple of hours just lying there, enjoying the sound of the ocean and the breeze. Got some sun, did some reading, and felt nice and refreshed when we left.
TL;DR: depends which beach you go to.

Fernandina is where the south Georgia people go because it's easy to get there and they can't get on the beach at Amelia, so there you go.

Few went to Little Talbot yesterday, after seeing it all over the news that two people drowned there this weekend, despite urgent warnings that the rip current made going into the water an imbecilic adventure. Saw that someone drowned off Daytona Beach as well.

Grew up going to the beach every weekend in summer - it's what you did if you're a Florida teenager. Now all of us are spending our time going to the dermatologist.
I manage two oceanfront condo communities with expensive condos that are largely second or third homes for very well to do types. Those folks never drag chairs down to the beach. They might run their pedigree golden retrievers along the beach, and every now and then go down to the spa with a glass of wine in hand. But "lay out"? Ha!

I might walk along the beach once a year holding my sandals just so I can get my toes wet. Other than that, meh.

Otherwise, what is the appeal exactly? What can you do at a beach that you can't do at a pool or a deck?

I'm actually in your camp. I just don't get the love affair with the beach. Would much rather be in the mountains skiing/hiking/fly fishing or in some big, cosmopolitan city with historical sites and museums.

That said, there are several obvious answers to your question regarding what can be done at a beach that can't be done at a pool or deck.

1. Fishing
2. Snorkeling
3. Skimboarding
4. Collecting seashells, shark teeth, etc.
5. Beach Volleyball
6. Listening to the waves crash on shore
7. Wind Surfing
8. Kayaking
9. Horseback riding (depending on the beach)
10. Jet skiing

It's hard for me to take the OP statement serious.

Maybe he's been to the wrong beach, wrong company, etc.

But the beach when with me at the spots I like will change your entire way of life...much less your thought on whether it's better than a pool.

Naming the reasons why in a thread is impossible to do...you will never agree with me no matter what I say.

But just know you're wrong. ;)

Beach>Pool>Pond

I have nothing against lounging at a pool. It's all I have here in CO and for three months a year I will do it pretty regularly. But given the choice, I'll take the beach anytime. Part of that, of course, is you want what you can't have but the sights, sounds and smells of a beach continue to amaze me. I wish I could have it every day.

We love the beach.....great time with friends and their kids almost every weekend. Kids have a blast....adults have a blast.....just a fun relaxing time

Can't boogie board or surf or throw a football at the pool.

We take two beach trips every summer to Hilton Head for these reasons:
1. The pure beauty of the ocean
2. Sound of waves crashing
3. Sit in chair while the tide approaches and hits your feet. So RELAXING!
4. Sunsets
5. Sunrise on the beach, so calming
6. Eye candy galore
7. Cocktails at dusk
8. Smell of salt air
9. Watching my kids have the time of their lives when dolphins go bye
10. Oceanfront resorts, simply hit outdoor shower after getting sandy and jump in pool. Then stare at ocean!

Love the beach! My two little boys ( 7 & 9 ) love playing in water and the sand and they get covered in it. Wife likes laying in the sun and having a rum runner. We go behind Schooners on PCB about 4 or 5 times a month. I live about 2 miles from there and when we get home I hose the kids off in the driveway and throw them in the pool.

I don't like the beach either, unless it's at some exotic location with clear water like the Bahamas or Costa Rica.

Growing up I went to Bethany Beach because my parents had a house there. I never liked the beach. The Atlantic ocean was brown and salty. Also:

- Sand sucks. It gets everywhere and is hot as hell.
-Bugs suck.
-Waves are annoying.
-The heat sucks.
-Carrying beach chairs and umbrellas sucks.
-Dive bombing birds suck.
-Skin cancer sucks.

Last edited:
We have a great crew we go with.....all the kids get along and all the adults just relax and have drinks...we're there from 11 to 6 if not longer and the only time we see the kids is when they are hungry or thirsty.

Of course I do like to go boogie boarding with the kids for a little while alao.

People spend hundreds of dollars to go to Disney for a day and the beach costs me $12 for parking.

Love the beach. Went to the beach club this weekend and had a blast. Older son snorkeled, boogie boarded, built sand castles, pretty much had a blast. I agree with the pubic packed beaches, those are just awful. Need a nice secluded spot. I got an hour to myself out there this weekend as the wife took the kids up for a nap. Something about sitting on our chair, reading a book and hearing the waves/birds/whatever. Very relaxing to me.

For anyone in St Johns County area. Oh my lord is Micklers turning into a nightmare or what? With the influx of people to Nocatee/210 that place is turning into a train wreck with the limited parking.

I don't like the beach either, unless it's at some exotic location with clear water like the Bahamas or Costa Rica.

Growing up I went to Bethany Beach because my parents had a house there. I never liked the beach. The Atlantic ocean was brown and salty. Also:

-Bugs suck.
-Waves are annoying.
-The heat sucks.
-Skin cancer sucks.
Hard to argue with the Atlantic side. We went to New Symerna Beach a year or two ago and got attacked my 50 Billion Love Bugs. Jax Beach is nasty too for the most part.

Florida Gulf Coast is where it's at. No pool in the world is better.

Easy to question when you are around it or within a short drive to it your whole life.
Same thing I question when I read about people wanting to see snow.

Or maybe it was just the cabana boys...
More likely the cabana girls

tumblr_ncmfgnjaI61s2wio8o1_500.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
The ocean is the source. It's good for the soul to go to the beach...
And this is why I'm in the ocean almost every day. if you live in Florida and you can't find an uncrowded stretch you are doing it wrong. I have no interest in converting anyone so I'll offer no advice but will just agree with dirty C. Of course I go to the beach by bicycle. Sometimes with a chair on my back. Usually not. I ride the waves,get a good ocean swim in. Sometimes sit on the beach between swims and listen to music or sports/sports talk. The whole scene is rejuvenating to me and.....I'm never covered in or have significant sand on me. WTF?

Reactions: FSUTribe76
And this is why I'm in the ocean almost every day. if you live in Florida and you can't find an uncrowded stretch you are doing it wrong. I have no interest in converting anyone so I'll offer no advice but will just agree with dirty C. Of course I go to the beach by bicycle. Sometimes with a chair on my back. Usually not. I ride the waves,get a good ocean swim in. Sometimes sit on the beach between swims and listen to music or sports/sports talk. The whole scene is rejuvenating to me and.....I'm never covered in or have significant sand on me. WTF?

I never get a bunch of sand on me or my stuff but I'm used to it too. I've been going to be beach since day one and I'll be going until my last day. It's just a way of life for some people. Obviously OP and others are not those people...

Crowded tourist trap beaches do suck but I still like the beach. Probably b/c I am very lucky to have my in-laws live full time on St George Island. To me that is the perfect beach. The sand is nice and its never too crowded. They have all the tools that make "hauling" all the beach stuff super easy. I do think there are things to do at the beach that you can't do at a pool or lake. Example, I like playing games on the beach
The beach is a perfect horseshoe & boccie ball court. Easy set up and hours of fun
On SGI I can bring my dog and she is entertained without me having to do anything
I also like the sound of the waves. Find it relaxing and something that is hard to duplicate.

For anyone in St Johns County area. Oh my lord is Micklers turning into a nightmare or what? With the influx of people to Nocatee/210 that place is turning into a train wreck with the limited parking.

I live off 210 and, on the rare occasion we decide to go to the beach, we don't go near Micklers. Way too crowded but Micklers has been crowded for several years. It's only going to get worse once they start building out that Shearwater community on 210.

I don't necessarily love the sand, but there are few things in life I cherish more than swimming in the ocean. Everywhere I go, if there is water, I get in. Even if it's only for a few minutes

I love the beach. The sand too. Nothing like plopping my chair on the water's edge and relaxing.
I enjoy people watching as well. As long as I have my space, all is good. Can't stand it when I've picked out a good place well away from the crowds and some dipshit family decides that the best spot is 5 feet away from me.

-Bugs suck.
-Waves are annoying.
-The heat sucks.
-Skin cancer sucks.

You pretty much summed it up for me, especially the skin cancer part. If I do go to the beach anymore, I go in the late fall to early spring period. My "laying out in the sun and getting roasted" days are long over.

I never get a bunch of sand on me or my stuff but I'm used to it too. I've been going to be beach since day one and I'll be going until my last day. It's just a way of life for some people. Obviously OP and others are not those people...

It's the Salt Life!

I live off 210 and, on the rare occasion we decide to go to the beach, we don't go near Micklers. Way too crowded but Micklers has been crowded for several years. It's only going to get worse once they start building out that Shearwater community on 210.

Micklers is completely off the charts and parking is so inadequate. With Nocatee and the widening of 210 plus all the interconnecting stuff being built there will literally be no place to park within ten miles of there. You have all those private mansions in the vicinity and so-called public beach along there, and people will want to be there. With crime coming to Jax Beach more and more people are not going to want to park anywhere in the vicinity of Jax Beach proper because they could be in the middle of a gang fight at any second. So more and more families are going to scatter up and down the coast where there is no parking. Aren't urban planners great?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT