ADVERTISEMENT

If AMERICAN Football were in the Olympics

tommynole3476

Contributor
Aug 31, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
Who is on the team if you're picking?

Saw this floated on Twitter, and found it funny, but made me wonder too.

Comment was "American Football in the Olympics... There isn't an insurance company in the world that would insure the teams that played the USA."

You don't have to fill out all 24 starting positions, but who is your QB, RB, WRs, etc?

To name a few off the top, give me Aaron Rodgers, JJ Watt, Dez, Calvin Johnson, Gronk, Jimmy Graham, and two of Adrian Peterson, Demarco Murray or Marshawn at RB.

Even the gatahs would probably make the final eight.

You could probably just take St Thomas Aquinas HS and still win every game by multiple scores.
I agree. I don't think we'd have to over-think this too much. Give me any top 25 college team and every game would be a rout. Might be fun to see a team like Oregon or Baylor out there running up the score on other teams that barely know the rules.

That is some wild, wild stuff. Did not realize that. Reading through the results is funny too. US didn't participate the first two times, but once they started, had a team full of nobodies and won back to back ships lol.

Pretty restrictive on who they take:

"restrictions include:
  • Professionals from any US or Canadian league were ineligible
  • Player must have graduated from college—current college players were ineligible
  • All levels of NCAA and NAIA athletics were required to be represented, not just DI-A
  • Players must be no more than one year removed from college"

That is some wild, wild stuff. Did not realize that. Reading through the results is funny too. US didn't participate the first two times, but once they started, had a team full of nobodies and won back to back ships lol.

I suppose this is one way the NFL is trying to grow the game of football. I actually had no idea some of those countries had teams, like Sweden and Italy?

Note that the first world cup was in 1999. So, it's not like this has gone on for long. I would actually be very surprised if Amercian Football does come close to a following in foreign lands.

Years ago English rugby players said American football players were wimps for wearing equipment. The NFL held an event in London with Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware, Joey Porter & some O-Linemen.

The english players who attended were stunned at the size of NFL players. Then they saw them running drills!

Years ago English rugby players said American football players were wimps for wearing equipment. The NFL held an event in London with Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware, Joey Porter & some O-Linemen.

The english players who attended were stunned at the size of NFL players. Then they saw them running drills!

Literally apples and oranges. Rugby is less football without pads than it is soccer for nonpus#*%.

The average length for an NFL play between stoppages is 6 seconds with about 30 seconds of rest (to set the ball plus play lock). Then there are large lengths of time to recover as there are multiple tv timeouts, substitions, and actual timeouts. Plus they only play roughly half the time as defenders are not on at the same time as the offends.

Meanwhile, the average play time between stoppages in rugby is over a minute and stoppages are usually quick with a few seconds between typical stoppages. Then there are usually few time stoppages for injury and players are usually playing both offense and defense with little substition.

The end result is that the average NFL game has only 11 minutes of actual running time so the average player is only actively playing his position for about 4 minutes with tons of rest in between. Meanwhile the rugby ball is usually at play 44 minutes with very little rest.

So by saying a football player outclasses a rugby player is like saying a sprinter outclasses a marathon runner. Yes in the short term. But 20 seconds into the action the football player is already huffing and puffing because he's quadrupled his average play time.

So the average football player would never make it through a rugby match. That's not even a guess, Dhani Jones (11 year NFL linebacker) had a tv show near the end of his career but while he was still a starter where he tried various sports and he THOUGHT he would have an easy time at rugby playing for a low level minor league team. But he couldn't even stay up with them in practice let alone a live match. The endurance required in rugby does not match up well with the fast twitch muscle required in the NFL.

Frankly, I would think an average professional rugby player would have a better shot of making an NFL team as a backup safety or linebacker than an NFL starting safety or linebacker making a high level rugby squad. And no other NFL positions (lineman, WR, running back, QB, TE) would even have a shot.

Literally apples and oranges. Rugby is less football without pads than it is soccer for nonpus#*%.

The average length for an NFL play between stoppages is 6 seconds with about 30 seconds of rest (to set the ball plus play lock). Then there are large lengths of time to recover as there are multiple tv timeouts, substitions, and actual timeouts. Plus they only play roughly half the time as defenders are not on at the same time as the offends.

Meanwhile, the average play time between stoppages in rugby is over a minute and stoppages are usually quick with a few seconds between typical stoppages. Then there are usually few time stoppages for injury and players are usually playing both offense and defense with little substition.

The end result is that the average NFL game has only 11 minutes of actual running time so the average player is only actively playing his position for about 4 minutes with tons of rest in between. Meanwhile the rugby ball is usually at play 44 minutes with very little rest.

So by saying a football player outclasses a rugby player is like saying a sprinter outclasses a marathon runner. Yes in the short term. But 20 seconds into the action the football player is already huffing and puffing because he's quadrupled his average play time.

So the average football player would never make it through a rugby match. That's not even a guess, Dhani Jones (11 year NFL linebacker) had a tv show near the end of his career but while he was still a starter where he tried various sports and he THOUGHT he would have an easy time at rugby playing for a low level minor league team. But he couldn't even stay up with them in practice let alone a live match. The endurance required in rugby does not match up well with the fast twitch muscle required in the NFL.

Frankly, I would think an average professional rugby player would have a better shot of making an NFL team as a backup safety or linebacker than an NFL starting safety or linebacker making a high level rugby squad. And no other NFL positions (lineman, WR, running back, QB, TE) would even have a shot.
IMO, if NFL players prepared their cardio for rugby type endurance they'd be able to hang no problem. Don't see a rugby player tackling Marshawn Lynch or covering Megatron.

I always used to want to see Barry Sanders or even Warrick Dunn (jitterbug speed back types) in rugby match to see how difficult it would be for the rugby pros to tackle them

I always used to want to see Barry Sanders or even Warrick Dunn (jitterbug speed back types) in rugby match to see how difficult it would be for the rugby pros to tackle them

I don't know diddly about rugby, but I thought drawing guys to you and getting tackled was intentional to then pass the ball to someone else who should consequently have more open field to advance the ball.

When I see rugby I'm reminded of that desperation play in football where they just keep lateraling the ball around hoping to get to the endzone on the final play.

P.S. The idea that WRs, RBs, and TEs wouldn't be able to play rugby is silly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT