ADVERTISEMENT

If we could go back in time for one more drink....The Phyrst? Pink Flamingo? Doc's?

Fall of 99 was my Freshman year. The first few weeks living in Smith Hall is a blur. I remember going to Potbelly’s on a Tuesday for “Nickel Beer Night” and thinking, this has got to be bs, what’s the catch? I got my under 21 yellow band, took it off, and sure enough, $5 got a couple trays of beer. I remember thinking, holy s, I love college. I can’t remember the name of the Led Zeppelin cover band, but they were great. Pretty good football team that year too!

All I know it was 18 in the fall of '77. Journey and Van Halen came in the spring
of 1978 in Ruuuuuuuby Diamond Auditorium and the fix was in.
Steve Perry and David Lee Roth
Why do I remember David Lee shoving a legit thorny rose stem down his crotch....?
Is this the onset where I became somewhat or fully twisted? :cool: I was just a naiive impressionable purely innocent young lad taking a rare date to a massive brawl with the spraying of mace..... Let's just say that date ended with a misunderstanding.
The cold *****. I'm still working through it....
Mag, we were Freshmen in the same year - I was at both of those shows as well. Lived in Osceola in 77, First floor north, which was the asylum (all Freshmen males).

Reactions: MagNoleA
Let me get a box from Guthrie’s while I’m drunk.
Or 3. I lived in Polo Club my Sophomore year right next to Guthrie’s. I remember not being very proud of myself for having a gut box for lunch, dinner, and drunk time after the bar all in one day.

I was at the Subway Station the day that it opened......pitchers of bourbon and coke.....I am sitting on the couch right now with 2 of my grandchildren.....they must never know of their grandfather’s bad behavior......
We used to get pitchers of gin and tonics at Subway Station and then off to the Perimeter Plaza pool for martinis. OMG.

Everybody's Tavern was open for a short time behind and facing west toward the Subway Station. After a few pitchers, we would sing our version of Rod Stewart's "Passion." You know, replace that word with another. It was always rather intriguing to see how the coeds would respond to us. And they all looked hot toward closing time....

Beat the Clock at Big Daddy's Disco on Thursday night.
"Saaaatisfaction.....It came in a chain reeee-action...." Disco Inferno
We'd start with free drinks at 8:00 and often wouldn't remember leaving....
Fred's and the motorcycle gangs on Friday Night.
"Dont' take me to a Disco"
Bob Seger

Reactions: Crappy Davenpot
Mag, we were Freshmen in the same year - I was at both of those shows as well. Lived in Osceola in 77, First floor north, which was the asylum (all Freshmen males).
Magnolia Basement Reigns! We'd lift up the man hole covers nearby and would tunnel over to Reynolds Hall and Zero Ally for a quick look see. The statute of limitations don't last for over 40 years do they?

Magnolia Basement Reigns! We'd lift up the man hole covers nearby and would tunnel over to Reynolds Hall and Zero Ally for a quick look see. The statute of limitations don't last for over 40 years do they?
If you lived in Jennie you found the not-so-secret ways to travel through Reynolds and into Bryan and Gilchrist after the curfew that was mandatory back in the day.
Magnolia Hall was where the weirdos lived. 😜

Reactions: MagNoleA
Beat the Clock at Big Daddy's Disco on Thursday night.
"Saaaatisfaction.....It came in a chain reeee-action...." Disco Inferno
We'd start with free drinks at 8:00 and often wouldn't remember leaving....
Fred's and the motorcycle gangs on Friday Night.
"Dont' take me to a Disco"
Bob Seger

Yep. School of business had no Friday classes my first year. Thursday night beat the clock was our business. Think drinks went up a quarter every 1/2 hour. Then after peaking at midnight started back down until closing. Friday mornings were rough.

Great thread! The Phyrst Spring of 84 when I lived in Landis (all freshmen coed) and turned 18( when drinking age was still 18); then Bullwinkles, Poor Paul’s (in that order of course); Thursday night 4 for 1 at Clydes (ladies night); Flamingo Cafe; the Moon. After graduation, the Mill and Roosters! I’m sure I saw a lot of you there over the years!!
Love this thread also. Ones like this are half the reason I stay on Warchant. Turned 19 that spring in Landis as well. Wouldn’t trade those days for anything.

Reactions: David Slaton
Hoggly Woggly 1988, on the corner of W Tennessee and Ocala.....a huge cup of beer to go... I still can’t believe they did that.
Oh my...it was a Texaco and had a car wash to....parents let me have Texaco gas card until the realized I could buy beer while getting gas there...

A good friend of mine used to manage some of the Po' Boys in town. Sadly, he passed away much too soon. Anytime we went to Po' Boys we'd get at least something for free, but he had connections all over town, so free to get in and free drinks at most places.

We pulled through the drive-thru at Guthries one late night, made an order and the manager overheard my buddy's voice and they started talking for a bit. Pulled up, got our order and stopped in parking lot to pass out the goods. He opened a gut box and exclaimed "IT'S ALL CHICKEN FINGERS!". Next couple of boxes were the same. A few more all fries. A few more all texas toast. One with the sauce. We ate like kings that night.

The best was going back to Po's Boys on occasion after it was closed and having access to the kitchen. Would make whatever we wanted and a lot of it. He didn't want to get caught, so we ate and drank in the dark. lol.

A good friend of mine used to manage some of the Po' Boys in town. Sadly, he passed away much too soon. Anytime we went to Po' Boys we'd get at least something for free, but he had connections all over town, so free to get in and free drinks at most places.

We pulled through the drive-thru at Guthries one late night, made an order and the manager overheard my buddy's voice and they started talking for a bit. Pulled up, got our order and stopped in parking lot to pass out the goods. He opened a gut box and exclaimed "IT'S ALL CHICKEN FINGERS!". Next couple of boxes were the same. A few more all fries. A few more all texas toast. One with the sauce. We ate like kings that night.

The best was going back to Po's Boys on occasion after it was closed and having access to the kitchen. Would make whatever we wanted and a lot of it. He didn't want to get caught, so we ate and drank in the dark. lol.

I knew your buddy. Owners were good friends of mine. Your buddy was a good guy and it was a sad day when he passed.

Fred's Back Door. Started going there when I was like 15. Never carded. Strongest drinks in town back in the day.
Big Daddy's for dancing.
Late at night we'd go to City of Nights to watch the crowd.

What's that place where we stood on the roof outside on Tennessee?? It's still there but not open now.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT