ADVERTISEMENT

I'm done with the Jaguars

I was never a Jags fan, but I used to root for them before that. By the way, the worst part was that they were a playoff team at the time and after they gave away all of their picks to move up for the gator bust, they went on record and defended the move by saying those 3rd and 4th round picks wouldn't have made the team anyways. They haven't made the playoffs since... Sad sad sad.
No doubt Harvey was a terrible move. That's why the GM is not there. Every NFL team is littered with bad draft picks

Um, yes. Gus Bradley has a mealy mouth voice, and never gets onto his players. He is the epitome of a player's coach. Fowler was a reach. The only reason the "experts" mocked the Jags to draft him at 3, was because they know the Jaguars have a rich history of head-scratchers. They are predictably stupid. I've been a Jags fan since they came in the league, and their worst decision was getting rid of Coughlin.
I don't understand this. What good does it do you to make stuff up? The Fowler pick hasn't been questioned by any "expert" and has been praised by many. You can say you don't like the pick without resorting to fiction.

Definitely not making anything up. We could've gotten a guy like him in the 2nd...or if we were so desperate for a "LEO"...then we probably could've traded some of next year's picks to a team picking in the 1st round and gotten Bud Dupree later. I don't know how you could pass up Sherff/Williams/Cooper for Fowler...and his stats aren't 3rd pick in the draft-worthy. Keep throwing in your 2 cents. Are you a closet Gator fan or something? Or were you one of the guys who defended Gene Smith's small school, nice guy draft picks, who are all out of the league now?
You are assuming that the Jaguars and everyone else shares your opinion of the guy of you think we could have gotten a "guy like him" in the second round.

I agree it's tough to pass on Williams. Cooper and Sherff I definitely disagree on. Stats are not all that gm's and coaches go by when drafting a player. Lest we believe JW 18 int's should have put him out of the first round or two

As a Jag fan, it feels good to be on this side of the Fowler debate, as I always knew he was an animal. Just hurt too much to say it. This thread shows me just how idiotic I sounded

Let me see if I'm understanding this thread right. Some Noles are no longer Jags fans because they drafted a gator with the first pick. And in another thread Noles fans are making fun of gator fans because they are no longer Bucs fans after drafting a Nole with the first pick. Does that about sum it up?

Let me see if I'm understanding this thread right. Some Noles are no longer Jags fans because they drafted a gator with the first pick. And in another thread Noles fans are making fun of gator fans because they are no longer Bucs fans after drafting a Nole with the first pick. Does that about sum it up?
Yep. I make fun/call them both out. Just like the fans that switch NFL teams for 1 player being drafted or traded.

Reactions: Horus.
You are assuming that the Jaguars and everyone else shares your opinion of the guy of you think we could have gotten a "guy like him" in the second round.

I agree it's tough to pass on Williams. Cooper and Sherff I definitely disagree on. Stats are not all that gm's and coaches go by when drafting a player. Lest we believe JW 18 int's should have put him out of the first round or two

Most of Winston's interceptions came from his receivers running the wrong routes. Dan Marino threw 38 picks his last 2 years at Pittsburgh fyi. The vast majority of Fowler's big plays came against non-power 5 conference teams, and teams not in the top 25. That's not an opinion, buddy...that's a fact, whether you want to accept it or not is up to you.

Also, the Redskins and Falcons both coveted Fowler. So this notion that he was overrated or could have been had later is false.

I didn't love the Yeldon pick, but the Jags clearly had him as their third best back and the new regime has shown an ability to evaluate talent so I'll trust them.

And then the rest of the draft was serendipity. Getting Greene that late was crazy awesome and then getting Michael Bennet after that was awesomeballs.

To the guy going on and on like a doofus, Jags are getting all A's from the experts so just do yourself a favor and shut up.

The rest of the draft was great...but your all pro players are found in the first round. That's where GMs need to do their homework the most. The 3rd overall pick should make the probowl. That much money invested? I don't want to hear "oh, well...we'll wait and see. He will get better, he just needs time." It's make or break for this regime this year. Gus and his pat everyone on the back/Mr. Niceguy routine isn't working so far at all either.

Most of Winston's interceptions came from his receivers running the wrong routes. Dan Marino threw 38 picks his last 2 years at Pittsburgh fyi. The vast majority of Fowler's big plays came against non-power 5 conference teams, and teams not in the top 25. That's not an opinion, buddy...that's a fact, whether you want to accept it or not is up to you.
Not your buddy, and I guess I'll just admit you know more than every analyst and step out of the thread

Not your buddy, and I guess I'll just admit you know more than every analyst and step out of the thread.

The strawman "every analyst said that"...isn't true. Quite a few say what I say. Fowler is top 15 worthy, but top 3 was too high. Overall, they said the Jags' draft was nice...but when you have a chance at Williams, you can't pass that up.

they should move to LA. How can ANYONE take the jags seriously at all

Last edited by a moderator:
The rest of the draft was great...but your all pro players are found in the first round. That's where GMs need to do their homework the most. The 3rd overall pick should make the probowl. That much money invested? I don't want to hear "oh, well...we'll wait and see. He will get better, he just needs time." It's make or break for this regime this year. Gus and his pat everyone on the back/Mr. Niceguy routine isn't working so far at all either.
The fact remains that at least 2 other teams wanted him in the top 10 and one of those tried to trade up to get him. The draft is always a projection even in the top 5. Fowler wasn't my favorite choice, but it's silly to act like there's no way he could possible be a pro bowler hat it in the next 3 years. He has talent.

They obviously had Fowler rated higher, and a week before the draft they were going to select him, so obviously they thought you could pass Williams up.

The fact remains that at least 2 other teams wanted him in the top 10 and one of those tried to trade up to get him. The draft is always a projection even in the top 5. Fowler wasn't my favorite choice, but it's silly to act like there's no way he could possible be a pro bowler hat it in the next 3 years. He has talent.

Top 15...yes....top 3? I hope I'm wrong.

They had a good overall draft, but Fowler at 3 is still too high. Someone who saw the field as much as he did should have way more sacks, tfl, interceptions. The Gators offense was so terrible, he saw the field after 4 downs

3 is too high to YOU. Fortunately, it doesn't matter what you think. They had him rated higher on their board than Williams, so according to them three wasn't too high to take him.

3 is too high to YOU. Fortunately, it doesn't matter what you think. They had him rated higher on their board than Williams, so according to them three wasn't too high to take him.

As he was drafted...I said he was top-heavy, had a fragile build, didn't post up eye-popping stats for a guy who saw the field so much, due to a terrible offense...and he relies on speed and athleticism too much. With a knee injury, that will throw a monkey wrench into how he gets his sacks.

Reactions: NJNOLES
They had a good overall draft, but Fowler at 3 is still too high. Someone who saw the field as much as he did should have way more sacks, tfl, interceptions. The Gators offense was so terrible, he saw the field after 4 downs

Pretty much everyone had him going in the top 5. College stats are a very weak barometer to measure a guys potential on. Like I mentioned in another thread, Fowler had 14 sacks at Florida, Jevon Kearse had 16. Kearse had 14.5 his rookie year in the NFL.

Pretty much everyone had him going in the top 5. College stats are a very weak barometer to measure a guys potential on. Like I mentioned in another thread, Fowler had 14 sacks at Florida, Jevon Kearse had 16. Kearse had 14.5 his rookie year in the NFL.
Poor comparison, Kearse was a DB transitioning to DE and growing into his frame. fowler was and has been a DE.

Poor comparison, Kearse was a DB transitioning to DE and growing into his frame. fowler was and has been a DE.

Fowler was mostly a linebacker his first 2 years at Florida, not a DE. This past year was the only year he was primarily a DE, and he had 8.5 sacks. He is not Kearse on athleticism no, but very few people that size are. But it doesnt change the fact that holding up college sack #s as some kind of barometer for pro potential is a pretty weak barometer.

He was 3-4 LB who rushed every play, spare us the semantics. Fowler played DL in HS and was a stand up rusher in college.

Bottom line fowler rarely got to the QB's in college. No reason to believe he will be more successful in the pros and my prediction is already looking amazing since he won't get 1 sack this year.

Bust city!

Reactions: Jagnole101
He was 3-4 LB who rushed every play, spare us the semantics. Fowler played DL in HS and was a stand up rusher in college.

Bottom line fowler rarely got to the QB's in college. No reason to believe he will be more successful in the pros and my prediction is already looking amazing since he won't get 1 sack this year.

Bust city!

Best post yet. The guy saw the field so much. Literally every 4 downs, because their offense was so horrific. Someone who sees the field that much should post up huge stats. He didn't. He relies on athleticism and speed, and is top-heavy...which usually translates to non-contact inuries like what he got. Jacksonville luckily had a good rest of their draft. Stinks we drafted with our hearts this year, instead of brains.

Reactions: NJNOLES

Bust city!

He had 37 pressures last year, so "rarely getting" to the QB couldn't be more wrong.

You guys are so eat up with stats it's pathetic.

SOURCES TELL US
"He's had to play at different weights and different spots on the field, and I think he's finally understanding how to use his athleticism to dominate a game. He will be way better in the pros than what he is now." -- AFC East college director of scouting

From NFL.com

Last edited:
He had 37 pressures last year, so "rarely getting" to the QB couldn't be more wrong.

You guys are so eat up with stats it's pathetic.

SOURCES TELL US
"He's had to play at different weights and different spots on the field, and I think he's finally understanding how to use his athleticism to dominate a game. He will be way better in the pros than what he is now." -- AFC East college director of scouting

From NFL.com
He had "37 pressures" but clearly we are the ones obsessed with statistics... The kid sucks. Take a lap.

ADVERTISEMENT