ADVERTISEMENT

I'm sorry, but holy crap the old people down here in S. FL suck.

Bubbz

Star Player
Sep 6, 2009
I'm down here about 5 years now from ATX / Tally.

Where I come from, you say hello/howdy and always hold the door. There's not even an acknowledgement around here.

So many are verbally abusive to counter help, especially the old women.

Most do not believe in waiting in line, especially if it's to buy cigarettes.

Seems to me that they drink and drive more than I've ever noticed elsewhere.

It's a bummer because the old folks used to be a delight.

They're near death and aren't happy about it. I'd probably be crabby too if it was close to the end of my life.

the delightful old folks are all dying off and being replaced with their crybaby boomer children.

Where in SoFla? Bowca? Lawduhdale? Miyaammi? Nothing but New Yawkers or New Joisey types complaining about how stupid Southerners are and that they can't get a decent bagel down here. That's right, you rude jerk. Go back to longuyland and stuff your face with bagels and choke on 'em. I won't even drive through Dade or Broward County anymore. Ugh. They bring their (lack of) manners, inability to drive, their erroneous assumptions, and their voting patterns.

Yea, I don't get the impression the people I'm dealing with are Southerners. I was with my 3 year old daughter at a Publix and had to step in on a woman just absolutely belittling the staff. Her response was to tell me she was going to call the police on me for harassment. lol

She then went on to say how it's disgusting that I have a child that the taxpayers are going to have to take care of. I'm not sure why it escalated that quickly since all I was telling her was that those employees didn't deserve to be spoken to that way. She also told us to go back to our own country which was funny considering her European accent. Wow lol

Reactions: lurker2001
Society itself has gone to hell in general.

It used to be that southerners and mid westerners were the friendliest, and most still are..Not as many though.

Always been told the new Yorkers, Jersey and northeasterners from the big cities were the rudest. I haven't been there, so I can't say first hand.

The west coast seemed two part, laid back or snobs. I have been all over the USA, except the NE

Just in case this thread is a veiled swipe at elderly Jews from New York and Jersey, I feel compelled to state that I work with many elderly Jews from New York and Jersey and that the ones that I know and their offspring are very kind, caring, warm and generous people. They've also been a hell of a lot more generous to me than most WASPS have.

I say this as a 100% Gentile, lapsed Catholic, former alter boy.

Reactions: pauldNole
I love it down here. Sure the people can be rude, but I got that in Orlando, St. Pete, Atlanta. There are transplants everywhere in the south. The beauty of South Florida is the transplant usually have a lot of money and are here from Thanksgiving to Easter. That leaves 6-7 months without them here in this paradise. Just like anywhere, you have to know where to go.

Reactions: NoleFan2U
Where in SoFla? Bowca? Lawduhdale? Miyaammi? Nothing but New Yawkers or New Joisey types complaining about how stupid Southerners are and that they can't get a decent bagel down here. That's right, you rude jerk. Go back to longuyland and stuff your face with bagels and choke on 'em. I won't even drive through Dade or Broward County anymore. Ugh. They bring their (lack of) manners, inability to drive, their erroneous assumptions, and their voting patterns.

Goldmom nailed it. Also, many of the folks she describes are from the lower social tiers in Joisey and New Yawk....many of them are in Florida seeking bargains because they can't afford to stay up north (or afford Palm Beach or Palm Springs). They are nasty to start with, and don't have the "finesse" of some of their upper crust cohorts who would never be caught dead in Lawduhdale or Hollywood. I venture into South Florida only when absolutely necessary, and then do somersaults to get out of that sewer as soon as humanly possible.

Sure, there are some nice areas down there, and some nice people. But overall, it is a sewer.

They are f'ing brutal. I love it here (Delray Beach) but they are easily the worst part about it

I thought the Locker Room was slipping since it's been at least a month since we've had a bash S. Florida/Northeasterners thread. We were way overdue. Thankfully we pulled through so we can once again affirm how superior the Southerners are over those Northerners who apparently think they're so superior.

5th generation S Floridian here. People down here just are not very friendly. The area has a lot to offer, but the people can really stink around here.

Yeah, Goldmom, THOSE people really sound unpleasant.o_O

On the politeness and kindness scale I've definitely found

Kiwis > Canadians > Aussies > Most Caribbean Islanders > Welsh > English outside of London and industrial northern cities > Scots outside of lowland industrial cities > Irish > Southerners (Central VA to GA and over to MS) > Pacific from San Fran to Seattle > Midwesterners > Cajuns > Southwesterners excluding Texans > "Mountain" square states plus Idaho > Floridians excluding S Florida >Londoners > Industrial UK cities > Texans > MidAtlanticians (Northern Virginia through PA) > New Englanders > Southern California > New Jersians excluding the shore > South Florida > New Yorkers > Phillies > Jersey Shore

Last edited:
Yeah, Goldmom, THOSE people really sound unpleasant.o_O
Irene-Noblette.jpg

I just love when I get calls at work from all over the state from people all over the nation, telling me what they did to regulate certain practices back in Michigan, Ohio, New York, California, etc. Guess what, the rules and laws of Florida are what they are. They can be and are different in Florida.

I just love when I get calls at work from all over the state from people all over the nation, telling me what they did to regulate certain practices back in Michigan, Ohio, New York, California, etc. Guess what, the rules and laws of Florida are what they are. They can be and are different in Florida.

The funny thing is hearing Midwesterners call out the Northeasterners on this and their attitudes in general. My in-laws were born and raised in North Dakota and, as of today, they're ex-residents of Port Charlotte. My father-in-law, in his thick North Dakota accent, always bitches about how rude the Northeasterners are. They're moving up this way to Ponte Vedra to "escape them", LOL.

Those people @goldmom speaks of are all over Pinellas county.
Not really. We have a share, but it's nothing like the other coast. We have more Midwesterners here. It seems that our New York/ New Jersey, folk are a bit milder as well. They've better acclimated than those on the other coast. You really can't compare the two.

I live in West Palm, but spend a lot of time in Naples/ Ft Myers and there is a difference. Like others have mentioned, there are more people from the Midwest on the West coast of Florida.

Not really. We have a share, but it's nothing like the other coast. We have more Midwesterners here. It seems that our New York/ New Jersey, folk are a bit milder as well. They've better acclimated than those on the other coast. You really can't compare the two.

I'm not so sure about that. Property values ~15 yrs ago were extremely appealing to this group.
Is it bad that I cringe when I hear a Long Island, Boston or Jersey accent?
Ugh. Can't stand it. Lol.
And go to the Trop for a Rays game when the Yankees are playing. Good lord. Couldn't pay me.

I'm not so sure about that. Property values ~15 yrs ago were extremely appealing to this group.
Is it bad that I cringe when I hear a Long Island, Boston or Jersey accent?
Ugh. Can't stand it. Lol.
And go to the Trop for a Rays game when the Yankees are playing. Good lord. Couldn't pay me.
I'm not saying they're great. It's just not nearly as bad here as it is across alligator alley. And of course you're gonna see the worst of it at a Yankee game.

I thought the Locker Room was slipping since it's been at least a month since we've had a bash S. Florida/Northeasterners thread. We were way overdue. Thankfully we pulled through so we can once again affirm how superior the Southerners are over those Northerners who apparently think they're so superior.

Don't you dare talk bad about the goodly southern folk. Shame on you! Now let them get back to talking bad about everybody else and their weird sounding accents.

Don't you dare talk bad about the goodly southern folk. Shame on you! Now let them get back to talking bad about everybody else and their weird sounding accents.
Stereotyping large groups of people, making fun of their accents, claiming moral superiority over said group--the irony is not lost on me.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
And not one of them has ever had the decency to load up the RV with jugs of NY tap water so they can show us what real bagles and pizza taste like.

If Madcow was still around, he'd be giving goldmom a run for the person who dislikes northerners the most.

ADVERTISEMENT