ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting article about MLS

Soccer is a game....not a sport.
200.gif

Reactions: Wendy79
Seatle's team has the best support of any team in north or south america except for 1 team in argentina.

if they played in the English Premier league, they'd have the 6th best attendance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...s-football-fever-mighty-NFL-heading-fall.html
2014 Seattle season ticket price was $25.41/game. That would have ranked last in the Premier League. The cheapest season ticket there is West Brom which is around $37/game. Arsenal is the most expensive, north of $160/game.

I thought the test was:

Any competition that's part of the Olympics is a game.

Any competition that uses a ball/puck is a sport.

Any competition that doesn't is an activity.

Or is it:

Any competition that also occurs at a country club is an activity.

Any competition that doesn't is a sport.

I get so confused sometimes!

Can you imagine the flopping going on with Suh playing against the pro soccer players? He could get within 5 yards of them and they would hit the ground based on the wind created from his large body moving.
in fairness, if suh got within 5 yards of me looking to hit me, i would probably play dead too

Orlando City (I hate the "city" part of their name, but as least they went with "SC" rather than "FC"...) is right behind Seattle in attendance. They're doing really well. And MLS is making some headways into the tv market (see the games this weekend that are being shifted to big ESPN rather than the minor channels).

It seems like the US is really ready to embrace soccer this time. It's been a year since the World Cup and I still hear a lot of people talking about watching games, going to games, etc.

Interesting line in there that is a lesson for the ACC:

"Major League Soccer is coming to realise that the key to growth is rivalry, which is why New York now has two teams and Los Angeles is getting more."-

That is Lem's criteria...

no, my criteria is whether you can play it while smoking a cig and drinking a beer.

how many packs of cigs do you think Cabrera and Jimenez go through in a single tournament? Assume 1 full size cigar = 10 cigs.

i understand that a lot of the MLS players love tackle football. Some of them play it every weekend, and some plan to play it everyday when they retire.

Can you imagine the flopping going on with Suh playing against the pro soccer players? He could get within 5 yards of them and they would hit the ground based on the wind created from his large body moving.

Suh would stomp the competition.

Can we get back to the original point and get the trolls out.

MLS is growing rapidly. I just went to my first orlando city game in our win vs DC and it was fantastic. Whether the haters like it or not, soccer is here to stay. It is routinely listed as one of the top sports of youth today and will only continue to grow. Within 10-15 years the MLS will be a top 5 league in the world.

Reactions: fsUTampa
I've turned into a big soccer fan today after really taking to the game in 2006 (WC in South Africa).

I'm probably one of the biggest supporters of the MLS on Warchant. I don't have a favorite team however-- not until Atlanta arrives.

One thing that is rubbing me wrong is the MLS seems to be dipping it's toe consistently into a political topic. I'm not going to delve into it because I know that's not allowable by board rules. It shouldn't surprise me because after doing some research the MLS was most popular originally with "hipsters"... who tend to think one way in terms of politics. IMO, the MLS needs to tread lightly here-- judging by the TV contract and TV audience for nationally televised games (Sunday nights) they need all the fans they can get. Yes, attendance is rising but the ratings for televised games and the contract lag waaay behind even the NHL.

My son and I have both taken to the sport--- the MLS needs to realize they cannot survive with fans of just one political party.

I've turned into a big soccer fan today after really taking to the game in 2006 (WC in South Africa).

I'm probably one of the biggest supporters of the MLS on Warchant. I don't have a favorite team however-- not until Atlanta arrives.

One thing that is rubbing me wrong is the MLS seems to be dipping it's toe consistently into a political topic. I'm not going to delve into it because I know that's not allowable by board rules. It shouldn't surprise me because after doing some research the MLS was most popular originally with "hipsters"... who tend to think one way in terms of politics. IMO, the MLS needs to tread lightly here-- judging by the TV contract and TV audience for nationally televised games (Sunday nights) they need all the fans they can get. Yes, attendance is rising but the ratings for televised games and the contract lag waaay behind even the NHL.

My son and I have both taken to the sport--- the MLS needs to realize they cannot survive with fans of just one political party.
I live in Seattle, have been to 25 games or so over the past two years. Can you please expand on your comment because I Have seen nothing resembling what you speak of and I Tend to lean a little more to the right than the average citizen out here.

ADVERTISEMENT