ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting article about MLS

I live in Seattle, have been to 25 games or so over the past two years. Can you please expand on your comment because I Have seen nothing resembling what you speak of and I Tend to lean a little more to the right than the average citizen out here.

If this is too political please remove. This topic is one of a few that the MLS continues to write articles on. I've known of at least 4 in the last two months on this topic. Here's the thing-- I could care less about Rogers sexuality or anyone else's when I go to a sports site. I feel for Rogers and what he has probably gone through but it's clear that the MLS has some sort of agenda to fill on this: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

The MLS prime segment of population is millennials-- urban young professionals. There is a reason that most new stadiums are smack dab downtown in cities. This is to appease the in-city living folks that like to take public transit to the game. I think this is great as well. I love going into the city-- but I'm a suburbanite.

This is going to have to change some because the league cannot survive alone on just the support of urban hipsters. I wouldn't think at least.

Maybe I'm making too big of a deal about it but the fact that another article was front and center on their site and thus on their FB feed it just rubbed me the wrong way.

Soccer is a good sport. I'll continue to enjoy it. I just wish the MLS would stop with force feeding this topic down our throat. I get enough of that from the mainstream media.

Last edited:
I've turned into a big soccer fan today after really taking to the game in 2006 (WC in South Africa).

I'm probably one of the biggest supporters of the MLS on Warchant. I don't have a favorite team however-- not until Atlanta arrives.

One thing that is rubbing me wrong is the MLS seems to be dipping it's toe consistently into a political topic. I'm not going to delve into it because I know that's not allowable by board rules. It shouldn't surprise me because after doing some research the MLS was most popular originally with "hipsters"... who tend to think one way in terms of politics. IMO, the MLS needs to tread lightly here-- judging by the TV contract and TV audience for nationally televised games (Sunday nights) they need all the fans they can get. Yes, attendance is rising but the ratings for televised games and the contract lag waaay behind even the NHL.

My son and I have both taken to the sport--- the MLS needs to realize they cannot survive with fans of just one political party.

The teams would be better off with American names. Atlanta United FC? And the owner says it's a "unique" name? That's a bigger joke, IMHO, and is part of holding back the league.

Thanks @GwinnettNole for laying it out for me, I appreciate your view of what MLS looks like from your perspective.
From what I can gather, the success of the Sounders is in the supporters groups, which are young fans as as you mentioned. However, the season ticket base from what I understand and have actually witnessed is incredibly family oriented. I have always been impressed at the family attendance at the matches I have been to.
The MLS vision in having teams based in a downtown setting also has been very successful, for at least making it a day long event. We enjoy rolling down to Pioneer Square hours before the match and participating in the march, or the pub crawl, the bands and the celebrations. When I moved here from Florida 24 months ago, I had never seen anything like it. Portland and Vancouver enjoy the same theatrics, which is why I think MLS is most popular in this region. If anything, I think this region is trying to emulate their English and European counterparts. And judging by Seattle, we have been pretty successful.
Let me know if you are ever in the area. I live a 15 walk from the park. I have introduced several friends to MLS life out here. I would love to bring a man who is already a believer to a match.

I've turned into a big soccer fan today after really taking to the game in 2006 (WC in South Africa).

Hate to be nit-picky, but South Africa was 2010, vividly remember watching games online while studying for the Bar and all of us going crazy in class (was watching a video lecture without a live professor) when Donovan scored. 2006 was Germany.

If this is too political please remove. This topic is one of a few that the MLS continues to write articles on. I've known of at least 4 in the last two months on this topic. Here's the thing-- I could care less about Rogers sexuality or anyone else's when I go to a sports site. I feel for Rogers and what he has probably gone through but it's clear that the MLS has some sort of agenda to fill on this: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

The MLS prime segment of population is millennials-- urban young professionals. There is a reason that most new stadiums are smack dab downtown in cities. This is to appease the in-city living folks that like to take public transit to the game. I think this is great as well. I love going into the city-- but I'm a suburbanite.

This is going to have to change some because the league cannot survive alone on just the support of urban hipsters. I wouldn't think at least.

Maybe I'm making too big of a deal about it but the fact that another article was front and center on their site and thus on their FB feed it just rubbed me the wrong way.

Soccer is a good sport. I'll continue to enjoy it. I just wish the MLS would stop with force feeding this topic down our throat. I get enough of that from the mainstream media.

there have always been plenty of "out" pro athletes, they were just all in the womens sports.

Thanks @GwinnettNole for laying it out for me, I appreciate your view of what MLS looks like from your perspective.
From what I can gather, the success of the Sounders is in the supporters groups, which are young fans as as you mentioned. However, the season ticket base from what I understand and have actually witnessed is incredibly family oriented. I have always been impressed at the family attendance at the matches I have been to.
The MLS vision in having teams based in a downtown setting also has been very successful, for at least making it a day long event. We enjoy rolling down to Pioneer Square hours before the match and participating in the march, or the pub crawl, the bands and the celebrations. When I moved here from Florida 24 months ago, I had never seen anything like it. Portland and Vancouver enjoy the same theatrics, which is why I think MLS is most popular in this region. If anything, I think this region is trying to emulate their English and European counterparts. And judging by Seattle, we have been pretty successful.
Let me know if you are ever in the area. I live a 15 walk from the park. I have introduced several friends to MLS life out here. I would love to bring a man who is already a believer to a match.

Thanks Hardi. I think I was just rubbed wrong yesterday-- in a foul mood.... regarding the article.

Seattle, Portland and Vancouver are probably the most impressive atmospheres in the league with KC, Orlando and others behind them.

I've often said soccer done right can resemble the atmosphere at southern college football games. Seattle is amazing (on TV at least).

Reactions: HardiNole
The Dynamo games are pretty well attend (better when they were winning) - I like to sit with the Orange Army (Guerra de Naranja) which is mostly compromised of hispanics. It's the closest I have experienced to watching games in south America. I have not been to a Sounders game, would like to go. I am supposed to get up there this summer for a few days, might be able to make that work.

Reactions: HardiNole
Hate to be nit-picky, but South Africa was 2010, vividly remember watching games online while studying for the Bar and all of us going crazy in class (was watching a video lecture without a live professor) when Donovan scored. 2006 was Germany.

That's right-- 2006 was in Germany. This is when I slowly started becoming a soccer fan.

My soccer fandom started in the Confederations Cup in South Africa of 2009 when we beat Spain and then played well vs Brazil in the finals. It has only grown since then. I started watching the MLS about 4 years ago, and without a team always pulled for Seattle due to how incredible their fans are. Now that Orlando has a team, I have adopted them as my club. The atmosphere in the DC game was amazing and felt very much like a college atmosphere. I'm now a full fledged soccer fan as probably my second favorite sport behind NCAA College Football and just above the NFL. I'm seeing more and more Orlando magnets on cars around Tallahassee and am finding a relatively large soccer community now ready to welcome new people in instead of just being the db soccer guys they were 10 years ago.

While soccer players are in great shape......it doesn't require any athletic skill to play it. Just kick a ball towards the net and hope it goes in.

It's a game.....not a sport

While soccer players are in great shape......it doesn't require any athletic skill to play it. Just kick a ball towards the net and hope it goes in.

As someone who has played many sports now soccer requires the most athletic ability.. Just my opinion of course.

In terms of skill I would say trying to master the skill of dribbling and scoring a goal is on the same level as trying to hit a curveball over the fence vs a really good pitcher.

It seems like the US is really ready to embrace soccer this time. It's been a year since the World Cup and I still hear a lot of people talking about watching games, going to games, etc.

The game really is not growing in popularity among most American citizens. We just have a larger international population than ever before.

The game really is not growing in popularity among most American citizens. We just have a larger international population than ever before.

Not sure I agree with this. Some of that international population have either become naturalized and therefore are American citizens or have married or had relations with an American citizen that has produced offspring that is an American citizen. And the influence of their culture in liking soccer has increased the popularity in American citizens. Now it is nowhere near as popular here as it is abroad especially club soccer. But our National teams popularity has increased quite a bit in my opinion.

Still not anywhere near as popular as football here and not sure it could ever catch it.

Not sure I agree with this. Some of that international population have either become naturalized and therefore are American citizens or have married or had relations with an American citizen that has produced offspring that is an American citizen. And the influence of their culture in liking soccer has increased the popularity in American citizens. Now it is nowhere near as popular here as it is abroad especially club soccer. But our National teams popularity has increased quite a bit in my opinion.

Still not anywhere near as popular as football here and not sure it could ever catch it.

There's a reason that uniformed immigration officers attend these games. Never see them at NFL, PGA or NASCAR events.

That is part of the growth however I'm certainly not an immigrant, none of the 20 or so friends of mine who have be one huge soccer fans over the last few years are either.

It's very popular here in Orlando. 2nd or 3rd highest attendance in MLS this season (1st in MLS).

It's very popular here in Orlando. 2nd or 3rd highest attendance in MLS this season (1st in MLS).

Orlando = extremely large Hispanic population. No surprise soccer is thriving in such a city (with no professional baseball, football, etc.).

That is part of the growth however I'm certainly not an immigrant, none of the 20 or so friends of mine who have be one huge soccer fans over the last few years are either.

The Tampa Bay Rowdies had some popularity 30+ years ago, before America's population became um, er, so "diverse." So sure, there are some American citizens that follow soccer. But soccer is thriving in the U.S. now primarily because there are so many non-American citizens living here who follow the game.

The Tampa Bay Rowdies had some popularity 30+ years ago, before America's population became um, er, so "diverse." So sure, there are some American citizens that follow soccer. But soccer is thriving in the U.S. now primarily because there are so many non-American citizens living here who follow the game.

Not doubting what you are saying but count me as another red blooded American that has taken to the game just in the past ten years. I would love to see a link on who are MLS season ticket holders?

I think you maybe underestimating the popularity of the game some by native Americans.

I think your notion that it's strictly immigrant supported is hogwash. There are plenty of America-born citizens who support soccer. Maybe not in your circle

It appears to be having good support so far... but is this its first or second year? Even the USFL, and former soccer leagues (NY Cosmos anyone?) had some good years. Maybe the more diverse/international population can make the difference this time for soccer, but all those other spring football leagues and pro soccer leagues that tried to go big time ultimately failed for financial reasons.

I think your notion that it's strictly immigrant supported is hogwash. There are plenty of America-born citizens who support soccer. Maybe not in your circle

Never said it is "strictly immigrant supported." But if you go to a game, you will find well over 50% of those in attendance being not-born-in-the-U.S. English is not the predominant language in the stands.

Never said it is "strictly immigrant supported." But if you go to a game, you will find well over 50% of those in attendance being not-born-in-the-U.S. English is not the predominant language in the stands.

Johnnie- just stop. Your last sentence above isn't close to accurate.

Johnnie- just stop. Your last sentence above isn't close to accurate.

Huh? What is your authority to tell me to "stop"? I actually (was forced to) attend one of these things. Along with the uniformed INS officers -- whom I have never seen at any other sporting event -- I was one of the only people there whose first language was English.

That's fine. But don't try to say that soccer's current surge is because U.S.-born people have suddenly embraced it.....that's not true at all.

have you ever tried to play soccer in golf sandals? a lot harder than you think

Huh? What is your authority to tell me to "stop"? I actually (was forced to) attend one of these things. Along with the uniformed INS officers -- whom I have never seen at any other sporting event -- I was one of the only people there whose first language was English.

That's fine. But don't try to say that soccer's current surge is because U.S.-born people have suddenly embraced it.....that's not true at all.

There's an excellent article in Sports Illustrated (yeah, I know, that's a true contradiction in terms) on this very subject; highly recommended reading.

I get what you are saying about the location. That's why the Braves will be moving to Cobb. Most of the soccer leagues are in the burbs and Marta can be a very scary option.

It appears to be having good support so far... but is this its first or second year? Even the USFL, and former soccer leagues (NY Cosmos anyone?) had some good years. Maybe the more diverse/international population can make the difference this time for soccer, but all those other spring football leagues and pro soccer leagues that tried to go big time ultimately failed for financial reasons.

The MLS has been around for 20+ years now. It's been on a steady incline throughout that entire time. They just got new TV contracts (and in the last few years, been picking up bigger well-known players from around the world), so maybe that's why it seems to be "new" to you?

One of my favorite things to watch is an athlete from another sport attempt to dribble, juggle or kick a soccer ball. It is always entertaining.
And call it a game or a sport. Regardless, it is the most popular in the world.

Time we start teachin' those white folks to speak English.

http://opendorse.com/blog/2013-sports-fan-demographics/

https://petervamador.wordpress.com/2010/05/16/major-league-soccer-fan-demographics/

I get what you are saying about the location. That's why the Braves will be moving to Cobb. Most of the soccer leagues are in the burbs and Marta can be a very scary option.

Oh dear God-- don't get me started on the insaneness that is the braves moving to Cobb Co. Absolutely ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT