ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting article about MLS

Fox Sports 1 right now, Portland vs Seattle. Two of the most well supported clubs in MLS. Despite the uninformed narrative, the crowd looks similar to what you would find at an Amway rally or Dave Matthews concert.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Fox Sports 1 right now, Portland vs Seattle. Two of the most well supported clubs in MLS. Despite the uninformed narrative, the crowd looks similar to what you would find at an Amway rally or Dave Matthews concert.

I watched a good bit of that game and the NY match earlier (Red Bulls vs NYCFC).... The NY game was sold out at Yankee stadium-- 45k.

I watched a good bit of that game and the NY match earlier (Red Bulls vs NYCFC).... The NY game was sold out at Yankee stadium-- 45k.

How cute, they managed 45k to a game? They're really doing things there. At least they're not in last place any more. Let me know when they come anywhere close to this.

orlandocitystadium.jpeg

One of my favorite things to watch is an athlete from another sport attempt to dribble, juggle or kick a soccer ball. It is always entertaining.
And call it a game or a sport. Regardless, it is the most popular in the world.

I don't understand the point of this post. I'm sure it's equally as hysterical to watch a MLS player trying to dribble drive past someone and dunk on another person in an NBA practice, or watch them do full contact NFL practices or hit a home run against a curve ball from a MLB pitcher.

I find the hyperbole used on both sides of the pro and anti soccer growth/sport/etc. argument to be obnoxious. The anti-soccer trolls can't help but jump into any and all soccer threads and the pro-soccer fans always get sucked into this ridiculous forum of back and forth.

I like soccer, but I don't watch any regular season games/matches, been watching the World Cup(s) since 1996 (a friend from Columbia in college got me into it). I don't have a regular season team, totally a jingoistic event for me, I don't wear a jersey or have bumper stickers. I appreciate the athletic skill and talent a soccer player has, the footwork, technique, endurance and stamina is ridiculous.

I don't understand the point of this post. I'm sure it's equally as hysterical to watch a MLS player trying to dribble drive past someone and dunk on another person in an NBA practice, or watch them do full contact NFL practices or hit a home run against a curve ball from a MLB pitcher.

I find the hyperbole used on both sides of the pro and anti soccer growth/sport/etc. argument to be obnoxious. The anti-soccer trolls can't help but jump into any and all soccer threads and the pro-soccer fans always get sucked into this ridiculous forum of back and forth.

I like soccer, but I don't watch any regular season games/matches, been watching the World Cup(s) since 1996 (a friend from Columbia in college got me into it). I don't have a regular season team, totally a jingoistic event for me, I don't wear a jersey or have bumper stickers. I appreciate the athletic skill and talent a soccer player has, the footwork, technique, endurance and stamina is ridiculous.
The point of my post was that if soccer was so easy and required no skill as the previous poster pointed to, surely any decent athlete could master the basic principles easily.

I'm a rabid soccer fan. I don't know a bigger soccer fan than me.

That said, I avoid soccer threads except for the one that us regulars have in the PGSF. It's safer that way. I'd encourage others to do the same, for their sanity.

The Colombia v. Argentina match on Friday was very good. Don't understand why Colombia was afraid to shoot the ball. Peru plays Chile this evening...you want to talk about a heated rivalry. I wouldn't expect Peru to win, but should be a fun game.

The guy above has won more majors than:
Fred Couples
Colin Montgomerie
Luke Donald
Lee Westwood
Adam Scott
Jim Furyk
Tom Kite
Tom Weiskopf
Davis Love III

Why does every soccer thread turn into the soccer haters trying to piss all over it?

Considering that soccer players run for more miles per game than any other sport, I think the debate over whether they are athletes or not is a bit irrelevant. You can debate all you want whether its any good as a sport, but this may be the dumbest soccer complaint thread I've ever read.

Why does every soccer thread turn into the soccer haters trying to piss all over it?

Considering that soccer players run for more miles per game than any other sport, I think the debate over whether they are athletes or not is a bit irrelevant. You can debate all you want whether its any good as a sport, but this may be the dumbest soccer complaint thread I've ever read.

Bell and Lemon pissing on the golf threads. Sissies...

These sports threads belong on the sports board anyway. Lem and Bell shouldn't be clogging up the LR with threads about soccer that nobody cares about...

If you want a war you got a war. Let's go...

These sports threads belong on the sports board anyway. Lem and Bell shouldn't be clogging up the LR with threads about soccer that nobody cares about...

I don't recall starting any threads about either silly game. The one with the fat old smoking men, or the one with the whiney euros who fall down a lot.

What a cry baby. Any thing you can kill a six pack and smoke a cigar while doing is not a sport.

If the mods allow soccer threads in the LR and require golf threads to be on the sports board than clear golf is a sport while soccer is not...

What was wrong with what I said. When I golf, I crush a six pack and smoke a cigar. If the beer doesn't foam, it is not a sport.
But that's not the criteria. You can smoke a stogie and crush beers playing softball too...

So...back to the MLS....

Dos Santos and Chicharito rumored to be moving to the MLS this year. It was one thing to get the older guys into the league. These two (along with possibly Aron Johansson) coming over in their prime might be starting a trend. Also Orlando City seems to be in the mix for both Chicharito and Johansson, which would be awesome to have them up top with Larin and Kaka feeding them. They'd be unstoppable if that was the case.

MLS Soccer was the third highest average per game of all sports last year in the US. MLS average was above both NBA and NHL. Orlando FC has outdrawn the magic by more than 2 to 1... and some of the stadiums are more advanced than most most NFL and MLB parks. Furthermore, most MLS stadiums are way more advanced than almost all European stadiums. I have toured Sporting Park, (KC) and both Barcalona and Real Madrid stadiums. Though the former two were bigger, Sporting KC was much nicer and way more advanced. Jerry Jones is trying to implement some of the technologies that Sporting KC uses.... complete interaction with the game and your mobile device. I have tried unsuccessfully to get FSU involved with the company that set up Sporting KC....

ADVERTISEMENT