ADVERTISEMENT

Interstellar - I am late to the party (spoilers)

mjpwooo

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
Tampa, FL
Waited a LONG time to see this movie. Watched the Blu-ray two nights ago. Visuals were awesome; really awesome. Story was just fine;no real problems with it, although I would agree with those that piint out plot holes.

I was confused when he was communicating in the tesseract though.

What I REALLY had a problem with was old lady Murphy and Cooper reunion at the end. Very disappointing that they had 90 seconds and that was it.

I know there was a thread on this a while back, but I didn't read it. Anyone else have thoughts on the movie?

I missed the first thread too.

I liked the movie. I felt the plot holes were not glaring and the movie even attempted addressing the time paradox issue though it was not directly explained in the movie.

The real problems in the movie were unrealistic character motivations. For example, when choosing which planet to check out first, these people would've realized that the woman on the planet nearest the black hole was only there for a few minutes. They would not have realized that AFTER landing, but before during the selection process. Also, their would've been tidal wave concerns right off the bat because of the gravity involved.

The short father/daughter reunion was fine. What else can you say? She was a different person by that point. It would be like talking to your father's ghost or something.

I would give my left nut to talk with my dad's ghost. And Cooper didn't want to meet his grandkids? And NONE of them wanted to even say hello to him?

Funny, I just got done watching it and was severely let down. I haven't anticipated a movie like this in years and heard so much good about it, that I couldn't believe the plot holes and how cheesy it was. And I hate, hate, hate when Hollywood insults us by having 30 mins of the movie having characters explain to each other (really us) about basic scientific principles, they're friggin astrophysicists and NASA engineers, but they have to teach each other about gravity and planets while they are already flying through space?!

Former astronaut is now a corn farmer cause nothing else grows on the Earth.
Farmer looks at dirt on floor and translates that into binary code to secret NASA base
Within days and little training or info he flies to another galaxy through a wormhole
Meets Matt Damon who goes crazy on ice planet (hollywood cliched marooned guy)
Flys into blackhole, ejects from spacecraft inside blackhole unharmed (lol) and falls into a room with endless windows into his daughters room
Pushed books into daughters room
Casey Affleck character was horrible and he doesnt care if his kids die, he likes farming corn in the dust more than them.
Daughter figures out how to save humanity from watch that Mcconaughey somehow programmed from behind her bookshelf (wtf, he could barely push the books and somehow he programs a watch with morse code with the most important and complex equation in history lol)
Winds up floating around Saturn, wakes up in hospital bed totally fine and coherent.
Steals spaceship to fly back through wormhole to planet Hathaway is on, even though she loved another guy and was willing to sacrifice humanity and jeopardize the mission to be with him.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Poop, do you want to watch it again? I do, just to see the visuals again and see if I like it more a second time.

Like you, I could not wait to see it, and felt a bit let down. Almost all my frustration lies with two aspects:

1) that ending scene I referenced above; and
2) Anne H's speech about love. Not her delivery (even though it wasn't the most convincing), but because it didn't seem like it fit the rest of the movie.

All the points you raise are valid; I didn't havr a problem with them....movie convention and acceptance. But in the context of the movie, the two of them. Not really reconciling face to face was unacceptable.

Originally posted by PoopandBoogers:
Funny, I just got done watching it and was severely let down. I haven't anticipated a movie like this in years and heard so much good about it, that I couldn't believe the plot holes and how cheesy it was. And I hate, hate, hate when Hollywood insults us by having 30 mins of the movie having characters explain to each other (really us) about basic scientific principles, they're friggin astrophysicists and NASA engineers, but they have to teach each other about gravity and planets while they are already flying through space?!

Former astronaut is now a corn farmer cause nothing else grows on the Earth.
Farmer looks at dirt on floor and translates that into binary code to secret NASA base
Within days and little training or info he flies to another galaxy through a wormhole
Meets Matt Damon who goes crazy on ice planet (hollywood cliched marooned guy)
Flys into blackhole, ejects from spacecraft inside blackhole unharmed (lol) and falls into a room with endless windows into his daughters room
Pushed books into daughters room
Casey Affleck character was horrible and he doesnt care if his kids die, he likes farming corn in the dust more than them.
Daughter figures out how to save humanity from watch that Mcconaughey somehow programmed from behind her bookshelf (wtf, he could barely push the books and somehow he programs a watch with morse code with the most important and complex equation in history lol)
Winds up floating around Saturn, wakes up in hospital bed totally fine and coherent.
Steals spaceship to fly back through wormhole to planet Hathaway is on, even though she loved another guy and was willing to sacrifice humanity and jeopardize the mission to be with him.
...yeah but other than that...

I thought it was a fabulously creative story with the execution a bit lacking. It could have been improved by -

1) deleting the fight scene between Matt Damon and Cooper - have Damon steal the drop ship and you accomplish the same thing

2) having a bit more discussion of the future people who created the wormhole at just the right time.

3) discussing specifically how the ability to harness gravity enabled them to do x,y,z.

Couldn't they have just put the wormhole a lot closer to Earth? I have to fly all the way to friggin Saturn? Really?

Saw this flick at a newly opened IMAX theater in our county. Holy smokes, my chest hurt from the surround sound. The visuals were incredible, felt like I was in space a couple times.

My dad, whom actually is a rocket-scientist, said he tried to suspend disbelief, but could not when it came to how much thrust and fuel they were using in space - unnecessary and unlimited, apparently.

It was an entertaining flick and trying to take on and represent a credible fifth dimension? Well, you try it.

Originally posted by More Kirk Less Spock:

1) deleting the fight scene between Matt Damon and Cooper - have Damon steal the drop ship and you accomplish the same thing
Just get rid of Matt Damon all together..........it add nothing to the plot and made the movie that much long, but I do admit Cooper/Tars connecting back to the Endurance was awesome.

2) having a bit more discussion of the future people who created the wormhole at just the right time.
It wasn't at just the right time.........remember time is relative. From gravity's point of view any point of past/present/future can be accessed, watch this (Neil deGrasse Tyson Explains The End Of 'Interstellar') for a better explanation.

I just saw it too. I was really impressed by the film, 2.5 hours long and I could have watched another hour without a complaint.

Sure the plot was complex and had issues, it was like Inception meets Abyss, but I didn't care. It was so darned inventive and better than 99% Hollywood dumbed down junk.

I liked the Damon side story it was s total plot twist and well done.

My lone critiques were I agree the ending with the family there and they're reunion was way too short and glossed over. I really wanted to see him get to Rand then.
And picking that planet to visit first from the little info they gave was hard to believe.

Wish I'd seen this in theater

Posted from Rivals Mobile

For any of you who have read Arthur C. Clarks "The Songs of Distant Earth" you may know what I felt strongly about in the Interstellar movie.

Waking after decades(centuries) of sleep on a ship in space far from earth, watching the recorded messages from loved ones long since dead. Seeing them age from one message to the next until their death.

That would be tough.

Originally posted by BarryB1081:
My dad, whom actually is a rocket-scientist, said he tried to suspend disbelief, but could not when it came to how much thrust and fuel they were using in space - unnecessary and unlimited, apparently.
Which parts, specifically? I want to mention it to somebody in physics.

Originally posted by Spearchucker87:
Which parts, specifically? I want to mention it to somebody in physics.
He's the smart one, not me, but he commented that there were several scenarios where the space craft was using these space shuttle type / size engines burning for prolonged periods during several parts of the movie. His point (as I understood it) was that the ship could not possibly have stored that much fuel given its depiction, and that in most cases you would need only a fraction of the thrust to perform the maneuvers depicted on screen.

"It wasn't at just the right time.........remember time is relative. From gravity's point of view any point of past/present/future can be accessed, watch this"

great video, but I understood that; they created the wormhole for humanity at the moment humanity most needed it. I get that they can access any point on the timeline, but it begs the question, since they will have (will have always had) the godlike power to intercede, why wait until things are that grim?

Obviously, there are a number of possible answers, very similar to the problem of evil question facing philosophers/theologians. But it would have been nice to see that addressed or even hinted at in the falling action.

I enjoyed it, I've already watched it twice. Pretty interesting, love the science aspects and they did an excellent job with the special effects.

Originally posted by 75seminoles:
Gay
laugh.r191677.gif

"It wasn't at just the right time.........remember time is relative. From gravity's point of view any point of past/present/future can be accessed, watch this"

great video, but I understood that; they created the wormhole for humanity at the moment humanity most needed it. I get that they can access any point on the timeline, but it begs the question, since they will have (will have always had) the godlike power to intercede, why wait until things are that grim?

Obviously, there are a number of possible answers, very similar to the problem of evil question facing philosophers/theologians. But it would have been nice to see that addressed or even hinted at in the falling action.
Gotcha............yea, that is a plot hole.

Originally posted by fsu1jreed:

Gotcha............yea, that is a plot hole.
They had to wait until people could grasp the help they were trying to give. The fact that it was almost too late maeks for a more dramatic scenario.

I think of the work done by the "others" (our future selves?) as being more deus ex machina than plot hole. If you accept that we will one day be able to harness space and time to have that capability, then the way the movie represented those things was interesting to me.

But it has a very bootstrappy feel to it like how could we get to that point in the first place without getting to that point and then helping our past selves?

Overall I loved the movie and watched it again the next day. Watched it with my 16 yo daughter and she gave me a big hug afterwards.

As for the physics of the way the ships navigated space, I think they handled that better than 90% of movies do. Most movies make spacecraft look like airplanes flying in atmosphere, banking and rolling, etc.

" They had to wait until people could grasp the help they were trying to give."

Good answer, but if they can insert themselves into the flow of events, why not help mankind advance more quickly making the starvation/wars/suffering unnecessary. We end up in the circular loop of fatalistic causation despite seemingly limitless ability to move about in time and direct the course of events.

He's the smart one, not me, but he commented that there were several scenarios where the space craft was using these space shuttle type / size engines burning for prolonged periods during several parts of the movie. His point (as I understood it) was that the ship could not possibly have stored that much fuel given its depiction, and that in most cases you would need only a fraction of the thrust to perform the maneuvers depicted on screen.
No that's perfect, I get it now. I wasn't sure if he had picked up on problems with macro maneuvers like you describe above or was speaking of problems with the depiction of small scale stuff like the minor maneuvering thrusters used to swing into docking position.

" They had to wait until people could grasp the help they were trying to give."

Good answer, but if they can insert themselves into the flow of events, why not help mankind advance more quickly making the starvation/wars/suffering unnecessary. We end up in the circular loop of fatalistic causation despite seemingly limitless ability to move about in time and direct the course of events.
Why did they need cooper to be the ghost? If one of them could have been the ghost, then your question makes a lot of sense.

For whatever reason, they needed Cooper to be the conduit.

The paradox I see is that they show Cooper can't change the past (STAY), but they can influence their own future by having Cooper do what he does.

I thought it was a good movie, but my expectations as a huge Nolan fan were through the roof. Everything until the last half hour was fine, but Cooper traveling through a wormhole in just a spacesuit and being picked up randomly floating around Saturn was a little much (how much oxygen could he have in his tank). The reunion was also odd. I've tried to get back to my daughter, we solved the most complicated equation of all-time through a watch, so here's a high five and peace out so I can try and get with Anne Hathaway. Again, a decent movie but not on par with others he has made. Insomnia is a highly underrated movie.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

How does interstellar compare to Gravity? No Bullock bashing necessary, just stick to the movie.

Originally posted by mjpwooo:
How does interstellar compare to Gravity? No Bullock bashing necessary, just stick to the movie.
They are nothing alike, except that they take place in space.

Gravity was a survival movie with pretty much only 2 characters.

Interstellar is heavy on the science and the story is pretty solid overall. The science parts were too much for my wife, she fell asleep in 15 minutes, but then again she didn't like Gravity either.

IMO
Interstellar >>> Gravity

I liked Interstellar but it really had a 2001 feel to it, the marine robots had a little HAL-esq quality to them. The wormhole being the connection to the savior of mankind, like the monoliths, etc.

I thought the reunion scene at the end with is daughter was bizarre. I mean this guy is supposed to be the one who saved all of humanity and he can walk through the space station like he's no biggie at all. No one wants to really talk to him to discuss the absolutely freaking incredible things he was though. And the daughter is like hey dad, whatevs nice of you to speak to me from another dimension and then return. The rest of the family comes back into her hospital room and goes right to her, dismissively pushing by the long lost family patriarch, oh who happened to help save humankind on the planet earth. Literally just weird.

And I guess it's just easy to steal a spaceship from the base and take off undetected until someone just notices it missing it later. Hell its harder to steal a rental car off a lot today, but in the future no problem. I just felt that whole ending was kind of rushed and thrown together which took away from the rest of the film.

"I thought the reunion scene at the end with is daughter was bizarre. I mean this guy is supposed to be the one who saved all of humanity and he can walk through the space station like he's no biggie at all. No one wants to really talk to him to discuss the absolutely freaking incredible things he went through"

agree - to me that was the weakest part of the movie. Should have been more falling action and discussion of how he changed the world reaching out through space/time. Also, why would they choose to disbelieve her that he contacted her. Clearly they bought into the idea of intelligence interceding on their behalf, but they reject the idea that it could have been him??

This post was edited on 4/20 10:29 AM by More Kirk Less Spock

I didn't like the smug nature of the people naming a building after his daughter and not him. Like you all have pointed out the guy saved humanity and he doesn't get a sniff of recognition.

His daughter, fought tooth and nail to get to her dad and into space. She realizes it's him communicating with her, she knows he saved the world at a tremendous sacrifice and then she and her whole family totally diss him when he shows up. I'm not buying it.

Future humans can build a worm hole and an infinite library that allows one to communicate with the past via morse code but won't come back from the future and just give the answers the humans in the past need? And why wait until earth is nearly dead? Why not sooner? What makes that moment in time so special?

I thought no one cared about him because they all thought they were deserted? Didn't they think she was the genius for solving the equations, not believing she quizjacked the answers through time even after she kept telling them she was?

Originally posted by FSULongM:
I thought no one cared about him because they all thought they were deserted? Didn't they think she was the genius for solving the equations, not believing she quizjacked the answers through time even after she kept telling them she was?
That could be, even so he would have been the first human to have survived and returned from going through a wormhole and a blackhole. You would think that would at least merit a nice dinner in his honor and maybe a ribbon.

The original premise was that someone made the wormhole to habitable worlds appear at the time they needed it most. They were proceeding based on the assumption that someone/something had pointed them in the right direction. Therefore, it does not make sense to suddenly reject the idea that she was provided information by an outside intelligence. In fact, when he first arrives at the secret base they are aware that they have been guided to the most secretest place ever!!!

But, this huge plot hole notwithstanding, it was a fun ride.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT