ADVERTISEMENT

Jag fans...Fowler Jr. injured knee

His initial contract will not be affected by this... he'll make more than the number 4 pick and less than the number 2 pick. The only negotiations anymore are the amount up front (signing bonuses) and annual average pay, the sum of the 4 years is set based on the CBA

His initial contract will not be affected by this... he'll make more than the number 4 pick and less than the number 2 pick. The only negotiations anymore are the amount up front (signing bonuses) and annual average pay, the sum of the 4 years is set based on the CBA
Those are pretty big variables that de-risk the contract for the team... Jax could hope to backload the contract and minimize the bonus. At this point letting him hold out for weeks on end doesn't matter, they're not going to miss him on the field this season.

That said, it would be a stand up move if they negotiated as if nothing had happened. He took a risk in going out there w/o a contract and maybe that was naive, but I hope he's not unfairly penalized for doing something a good teammate would do (not saying he's a good teammate, he might be, I don't know).

They sign waivers and still negotiate under good faith. I don't think it will change much.

I understand it's a fluke/freak accident or whatever you wanna call it. I'm just looking at the future. If he doesn't come out like a allpro next year or even 2 then he'll fall into rg3, Courtney Brown, etc. territory.

Well the innjury has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not it was a good pick.
No matter what happened 4 years ago, this is the Pro's. I wouldn't wish this on any young man. Hoping for a quick and complete recovery for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 81AugustaNole
Facts is facts. Harvey was one of the top 5 busts of all time. Fowler was a clown who some people claimed had promise but now we won't know. What we do know is that the Jags should not draft fricking gators in the first round because it has resulted in cataclysmic failures. Even the gator lovers on warchant can't argue with that fact.

Reactions: goldmom
Couldn't happen to a better person, that's what he gets for being a clown, liar and piece of crap.

never like to see injuries like this, but for all the gator fans that were hoping for a season ending injury to Jameis on the first day of training camp (and yes they were) I just have to lol at them.

Reactions: stevemacc
Those are pretty big variables that de-risk the contract for the team... Jax could hope to backload the contract and minimize the bonus. At this point letting him hold out for weeks on end doesn't matter, they're not going to miss him on the field this season.

That said, it would be a stand up move if they negotiated as if nothing had happened. He took a risk in going out there w/o a contract and maybe that was naive, but I hope he's not unfairly penalized for doing something a good teammate would do (not saying he's a good teammate, he might be, I don't know).

I dont think they have a choice how they negotiate. The contract money is slotted to the picks since the last CBA, so they have to pay him the allotted amount for the #3 pick.

They will negotiate as if nothing happened. He signed an injury protection waiver today before participating in practice that says the team will still in good faith negotiate as if nothing happened.

They will negotiate as if nothing happened. He signed an injury protection waiver today before participating in practice that says the team will still in good faith negotiate as if nothing happened.

They dont have a choice. The contracts are slotted now for the draft position. They have give him the slotted contract for the #3 pick. There may be some slight variables here and there they can negotiate, but he is going to get the contract allotted for that #3 pick.

Hope you are right. Otherwise, he becomes a ward of the state earlier instead of later.
I'm no expert on those things or anything, I'm just going by what they said on the tv. One guy even said Kahn is the type of guy who would make sure Fowler was taken care of and not mishandled.

I'm no expert on those things or anything, I'm just going by what they said on the tv. One guy even said Kahn is the type of guy who would make sure Fowler was taken care of and not mishandled.

He has no choice. The last CBA 3 or 4 years ago, they decided to slot the money for draft position. I think veteran players were pissed about guys like Jamarcus Russell making $32 million guaranteed, while proven veterans could get no where near that. So rookie contracts are no where near what they used to be, but you are paying for the draft slot. The Jags have to give him the allotted contract for his draft slot.

ADVERTISEMENT