ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Ramsey donates $1M

This post is so short sighted, I don't know where to begin....to be employable, you must have a decent education. A lot of the schools in under privileged areas do not even equip kids to get into college (even with good grades at their low educational standards)...talking about putting the cart before the horse...or in the case of short sighted posters...the jackass!

If I am the employer I can hire whoever I want. It’s like business owners that try and hire felons to give them a chance. And all I was saying, is that to the posters point about starting enterprises and how that can lead to direct tangible benefits, I could “understand” their point.

I am blessed in that I have an ability to understand different points of view even if I disagree with them. It is clear you are not as fortunate. And that’s ok. It is an undeniable fact that if I hire someone or I give that same salary to a school board the person I hire will directly benefit 100% of the time with 100% of my investment in terms of their salary and beyond. Donating the same amount to a school board by definition of being split amongst multiple schools and head count for students as well as retired pensioners means they will not. It’s actually simple math. I will only merely mention the poor results that continue to occur and get worse year after year and decade after decade in the public school systems. Some will get a good education and others will flunk out.

Generally those that have been fortunate enough to receive a “decent” education you speak of typically do not have to resort to name calling and can thrive by expanding their perspective through rational discord. It’s ok, though. If that is the only way you know how to express yourself, I understand. You probably weren’t given the tools to communicate any other way...

Last edited:
Reactions: WOOK66
Not really, and I anticipate that you think that solving the core issue is easily satisfied with money.

You anticipate wrong.

This is about public schools in general. I'd bet that most people on this board, whether black, white, red, yellow or whatever and from all different income brackets, went to public school and received a solid education from public school.

I just find it fascinating and ignorant that someone would hold have such a ridiculous, skewed and broad-brush opinion about public schools, like there is only one kind of public school and only one kind of student who attends/attended public schools and one kind of person who sends their kids to public school, all negative.

I suspect that opinion politically motivated and based on ridiculous biases and prejudices that do not reflect the real world. It's just ignorant.

There's a whole spectrum of public schools and people who attend public schools.

You serious? I mean, a man just donated a large sum of his own money to provide more and better resources for our youth (many of which being underprivileged) for their education, and this is what you have to say?

SMH.
The only resources is jobs and businesses. Kids don't need resources to make better grades in a system that has nothing to do with the hiring processes of America. Ramsey should have created businesses that will help parents get employed. Grade school needs no resources at all other than the regular tax dollars it already gets. These high school institutions in America don't teach kids about stocks, businesses or anything of value especially financially literacy

The only resources is jobs and businesses. Kids don't need resources to make better grades in a system that has nothing to do with the hiring processes of America. Ramsey should have created businesses that will help parents get employed. Grade school needs no resources at all other than the regular tax dollars it already gets. These high school institutions in America don't teach kids about stocks, businesses or anything of value especially financially literacy

Bingo!

You anticipate wrong.

This is about public schools in general. I'd bet that most people on this board, whether black, white, red, yellow or whatever and from all different income brackets, went to public school and received a solid education from public school.

I just find it fascinating and ignorant that someone would hold have such a ridiculous, skewed and broad-brush opinion about public schools, like there is only one kind of public school and only one kind of student who attends/attended public schools and one kind of person who sends their kids to public school, all negative.

I suspect that opinion politically motivated and based on ridiculous biases and prejudices that do not reflect the real world. It's just ignorant.

There's a whole spectrum of public schools and people who attend public schools.

Sorry, but your idea of what public schools are today is woefully lagging the reality of today’s inner city school atmosphere.
Specifically, discipline and academics. Today public school Teachers are restricted on many levels with the bureaucracy involved in lesson plan approval and disciplining students. It’s a mess. It sounds like you’ve been away from city schools for awhile. I haven’t. It’s a mess.
Charter schools are a bright spot but of course some don’t want them for various reasons.

BTW, politics is the reason that things are the way that they are.

Unfortunately the money isn’t being spent the right way. Literacy rates among minorities has decreased over the last 20 years. School systems are failing our youth...lower graduation rates trending in the wrong direction the last twenty years. I am all for education but The systems is broken. Private schools on average spend half on students than public school systems across the country yet have a more than double graduation and college entrance rates and pay teachers less money in average without pensions. If money was the issue this would be reversed. Baltimore spends more money on high school students than almost any municipality in the country yet have one Of the lowest literacy rates in the country and not a single student in the city of Baltimore scored at a competent level in mathematics(let that sink in)!

Not trying to get in a debate about efficiency of school system but you brought it up (and public school systems are dreadful for disadvantaged students)

I merely said employing people more directly impacts someone’s economy than giving funds to a bureaucratic system that may help some but will fail many others. Employment is a direct undeniable benefit. The other is it guaranteed . I also am elated that Jalen made this contribution. Simply trying to point out “I think” I got the point of the poster.
All the stats you mention have more to do with parenting then the school system. Put the kids in private school in public school and the kids in public school in private school and the numbers would reverse. I am very familiar with both institutions and overall there are more academic opportunities in the public school system then private. Teaching in the public school is far more difficult because a lot parents do view it as baby sitting and have not taught their kids the value of a quality education. Parents that invest in their children by sending them to private school have instilled a different work ethic in their kids.

Last edited:
All the stats you mention have more to do with parenting then the school system. Put the kids in private school in public school and the kids in public school kids in private school and the numbers would reverse. I am very familiar with both institutions and overall there are more academic opportunities in the public school system then private.

I 100% agree but wasn’t going to go near that topic with a ten foot pole. And yes, except for the elite private schools as I stated in a post public schools on average have double the funding per student than private schools and yet private schools perform twice as well from a graduation rate and college acceptance stand point I.e. it’s not a money issue (public schools provide more opportunity based on funding per student).And not to be repetitive but someone (not saying you) will read my post and disagree vehemently and possibly go on the attack. So once again, for the cheap seats, I think it is extremely admirable that Jalen Ramsey gifted an enormous sum of money to Nashville schools!!!

I will point out in NYC charter schools in some
Cases are mixed in with the same general public schools literally in the same building. And regardless of socioeconomic situation the Charter kids do remarkably better.

Last edited:

The only resources? Really?? lol ok.

I am a free enterprise capitalist advocate with an MBA, and have worked in both the private and public sectors, so a I have good understanding of the benefits from a strong and successful economy. But those are not the only two resources.

I am done with this thread though. Moving on and Ramsey did an amazingly good deed with his own money, and proud of him for it.

I wish these athletes start building businesses and create jobs and stop wasting money into general educational institutions
Honestly not picking on you but when arguing against further investment in early education or education in general by wealthy donors your argument would resonate with more validity and force if you proofread it and made it structurally more grammatically correct.

The only resources? Really?? lol ok.

I am a free enterprise capitalist advocate with an MBA, and have worked in both the private and public sectors, so a I have good understanding of the benefits from a strong and successful economy. But those are not the only two resources.

I am done with this thread though. Moving on and Ramsey did an amazingly good deed with his own money, and proud of him for it.
Giving a drug addict $500 dollars is technically a good deed too. What the addict decides to do with it is another thing. Show me proof that more money in general grade school educational system equates to wealth later on in an individual life.

Not really, employing people is a much more positively impactful endeavor. However, I am happy to read Jalen giving back in such a big way. But, I understand the intent of the post (I think). Creating enterprises directly helps people put food in the table. A lot of administrative overhead tied to educational systems. biggest expense is teacher pensions (which they deserve but a lot of today’s dollars raisers got to paying for retired pensioners not the students).
Putting quality teachers to work (or retaining them) is also job creation. What prevents folks on the other side of this discussion from seeing that?

Reactions: noletaire
Giving a drug addict $500 dollars is technically a good deed too. What the addict decides to do with it is another thing. Show me proof that more money in general grade school educational system equates to wealth later on in an individual life.

keep safe, brother!

you speak the truth. I’m leaving this site and FSU sports. It’s been a good time. No one on these boards is to blame. It’s just the schools recent decisions and the coach’s pro craziness agenda that’s got me to leave. Maybe, someday I’ll be back. But, for now see ya!!!!

Reactions: 1GiantKing
Good luck in your efforts to shield yourself from the real world and differing viewpoints.

Reasonable men can differ. Good people can disagree about politics and they are still good people. The worst part about our culture today is how effectively TV and radio politicos and politicians have turned everyone against each other for holding different viewpoints.

What we need is more people communicating and being tolerant of opposing viewpoints. We need more politicians willing to compromise and work with each other and less morons dividing our country.

Last edited:
Putting quality teachers to work (or retaining them) is also job creation. What prevents folks on the other side of this discussion from seeing that?

Jalen Ramsey is not directly responsible for hiring teachers by donating money to the school system. Where as if he is a business owner he is. Again direct vs. indirect tangible benefit from the benefactor. It is not really up for debate. I think it’s a simple disagreement in that some people feel that giving money to a school system may garner better long term results than being a direct employer. This may be true or not. However, as stated myriad times in multiple ways, there is no denying that as a business owner you have a more direct tangible benefit to offer on an individual basis.

let me try it again. Let’s say I volunteer time to teach kid’s how to read or I can donate the same amount of time I would have spent tutoring in my hourly wage. If I tutor kids there is a DIRECT benefit individuals can receive. If I donate money it is indirect and may not directly benefit the students and certainly not all of them. In tutoring (or hiring) every student I spend time with is having the resources spent directly in them). Not even trying to argue against people’s opinions on anything else.

I have been drawn into some other philosophical discussions regarding the much harder to quantify value of education, public systems, etc...These are all different issues that some people seem to internalize for personal reasons, I guess but really have nothing to do with my initial statement.

however, I agreed to play along and Ironically, I think almost everyone on here agrees the educational sustem in the this country could be better. And I don’t think anyone has even tried to disagree with the FACTS that literacy rates, graduation rates for disadvantaged youth has gotten worse over the years. Also, not a single person has debated that in the public school systems, the finds allocated for students is significantly higher than private schools (on average as of course there are elite private schools that most of us could not afford to send our kids to, so let’s acknowledge that).

Also, when I mentioned that again on average , across the country, the greatest expense to the tax base these days is paying out pensioners. I even tried to head off those that would say these teachers deserve it (I agree and wrote this multiple times but reading comprehension is not so great on the TC). I merely pointed the fact out that for every dollar of tax revenue spent today on pension liabilities for retirees that is one less dollar that has a DIRECT benefit on any student TODAY. Again, not even remotely debatable, it is a fact. I also tried to point out the hisotry of this phenomenon that started about 40 years ago. It is not teachers’ fault that local superintendents negotiated with union bosses for lower pay now for more pay in retirement. It was and is simply a kick the can down the road proposition by superintendents that know they will no longer be in office to deal with the bill when it comes in time to pay (somebody else’s problem).

I mention all of these things to point out how the conversation really devolved from my original post but I am happy to engage in friendly correspondence and even some discord.

my initial post was merely saying I can understand (I have said at least “I think” to infer I could be wrong in posters intent) about enterprise vs donations. I am also an economist and have coincidentally studied these philosophical issues.

But my point was NEVER to go down the path so many wanted to for obviously feeling very passionate about the subject of education efficiency from a political perspective. So I was game for that. I also acknowledged in my initial post that I was proud that Jalen’s donation and it is a very magnanimous gesture. I would never fault him for however he sees fit in trying to help out the community fincancially. It’s weird what a polarizing environment we are in today that leads people to infer so many negative things because it ties back to someone’s politics.

Not disagreeing with you at all (to the contrary) that more money for the school system COULD lead to more jobs directly in the system or from the suppliers if they use the funds for tangible goods or construction. Conversey if any portion of the money goes towards pension liabilities or over due pay raises the employment opportunity factor becomes diluted as INDIRECTLY maybe the additional income can support more jobs in what the teachers’ spend the money on.

AGAIN for the LAST time. A business owner will have more DIRECT impact on an individual than giving money to a 3rd party SYSTEM. Never have I debated which one is “better” as it’s all subjective. Ironically most have taken what I wrote on factual information and added subjective informational retorts coupled with absolutes. Absolutes should really only be used for facts like the myriad I have pointed out that few actually outright ever tried to deny because they are facts unless stated other wise (like when I write , I think in parentheses).

As I have stated a number of times it is simply velocity of money...

Reactions: 1GiantKing
Good discussion about education.

How many on this thread are actual teachers in public schools?

Good discussion about education.

How many on this thread are actual teachers in public schools?
You don't have to be a teacher at all. We all went to school and are now grown and can see the educational system is nothing more than a babysitter for adults to go do a 9 to 5. Once you learn addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, and basic fraction and reading, writing and reading comprehensive skills, school is done at the point and has no purpose for the real working world at all. I Aced calculus and geometry in high school and will never use it again in life.

This is an FSU football board. It is not an economics debate board. If I saw any FSU alumni or even a fan reach in his pocket and give a bunch of cash to someone in a less prosperous situation it should be applauded and any criticism of that action is unwarranted.

Reactions: NoleOne
You serious? I mean, a man just donated a large sum of his own money to provide more and better resources for our youth (many of which being underprivileged) for their education, and this is what you have to say?

SMH.
I was thinking the same thing. Smdh

The worst part about our culture today is how effectively TV and radio politicos and politicians have turned everyone against each other for holding different viewpoints.

What we need is more people communicating and being tolerant of opposing viewpoints. We need more politicians willing to compromise and work with each other and less morons dividing our country.
^^^^Great post. 1000%truth here.
Divide and conquer, oldest trick in the book. Well, 2nd oldest trick in the book, I guess.

Last edited:
It depends on how do you define "education". You have grade school education and this is what Ramsey donated to and you have job skill based education which helps you professionally carry out job related tasks. Getting all A's will get you the same high school diploma as Getting all C's. Once the A student and C student graduate they are in the real world and it's even. No application asks you what your GPA, SAT, or ACT scores are at all. They generally check your work history and call your previous employers. It's sad kids are being mislead into the college loan debt scam with a degree that doesn't have enough jobs to hire in your field
If you can't read, calculate etc. (which comes from a good base in elementary) you will be relegated to menial work your whole life. This was a REAL good move.

If you can't read, calculate etc. (which comes from a good base in elementary) you will be relegated to menial work your whole life. This was a REAL good move.
You learn how to completely read in calculate regular math by the 3rd grade. So what's the purpose of the rest of the grades? Nothing at all. School is just to keep minors in a daycare until they get 18 so their parents can work and don't have to pay anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT