ADVERTISEMENT

Jameis tells Harbaugh he was getting "hooked up" with the crab legs

top4209

Walk-on
Jan 31, 2010
I know we all suspected this ever since the news broke last year, but now we have it straight from the horse's mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
A hookup is when it is sucessful. A setup is when security is waiting for you.

I may be wrong, but I kinda believe they've already talked about this.

My memory might be fading, but I think they fired that guy right after this happened.

Also, while it certainly isn't a "major" it could be construed as a minor NCAA violation,
under their "special benefits" clauses. At the time, it was a simple shoplifting deal and JW
was punished for it. Now the admission changes that scenario. It ain't gonna amount to
anything, but it will be something else for Fisher to have to explain to players of what they
can and cannot do.

I may be wrong, but I kinda believe they've already talked about this.

My memory might be fading, but I think they fired that guy right after this happened.

Also, while it certainly isn't a "major" it could be construed as a minor NCAA violation,
under their "special benefits" clauses. At the time, it was a simple shoplifting deal and JW
was punished for it. Now the admission changes that scenario. It ain't gonna amount to
anything, but it will be something else for Fisher to have to explain to players of what they
can and cannot do.

Agree

Most in Tallahassee figured this was the case all along I think. Can FSU get in NCAA trouble now that this is admitted though?

Reactions: ziza9
I have felt the media has had a vendetta against JW and have been sympathetic to his plight.
However, I am beginning to change my mind. He may be smart academically but I am beginning to believe the old adage that he doesn't have sense enough to come in out of the rain!! Why on earth would he admit a hookup @ Publix at this late date which ultimately confirms to the public that he is a liar. Why didn't he understand that standing on a table shouting an obsene meme when he had been accused of rape wouldn't set off a firestorm.
Any psychiatrists out there that could have an explanation of this?

I have felt the media has had a vendetta against JW and have been sympathetic to his plight.
However, I am beginning to change my mind. He may be smart academically but I am beginning to believe the old adage that he doesn't have sense enough to come in out of the rain!! Why on earth would he admit a hookup @ Publix at this late date which ultimately confirms to the public that he is a liar. Why didn't he understand that standing on a table shouting an obsene meme when he had been accused of rape wouldn't set off a firestorm.
Any psychiatrists out there that could have an explanation of this?
because he's taken the fall for everything and everyone while being bashed as public enemy #1 since day one and now, the NCAA doesn't own him. FSU doesn't own him. he's obviously got people in his corner telling him what is ok and what isn't, but until now, those people have worried about FSU first and jameis second. now they're employed by jameis and are paid to protect jameis.

if you had the common sense to come out of the rain, you'd know every mildly known local star, even at the HS level, gets stuff, more attention, etc. hell i played ball at a 3a HS and got free food every friday night after the football games because the restaurant owner said he liked how i played harder than everyone else out there. people like to support what they like. that's how YOU and everyone else operate on a day to day basis, that's why every major company spends tons on promoting brand loyalty. you support what you like and it all comes down to money.

everyone knew jameis stole nothing, he walked in, grabbed it, shopped, walked out.
it was during baseball season, he was suspended, there will be no NCAA violations. he basically let his name get dragged through the mud because someone at FSU told him to

I think we all knew this to be the case anyway. So no shocker there. I just hope no deeper NCAA investigation comes of this.

Tank Black "hooked up" more Gator players, and for longer, than any agent in the history of amateur athletics with the possible exception of Nevin Shapiro and Headset Guy, but it was not an NCAA violation because UF claimed they knew nothing about it even though Spurrier said "something like that" (agent hook ups) couldn't happen at UF without him knowing about it (in response to FootLocker).

Tank Black "hooked up" more Gator players, and for longer, than any agent in the history of amateur athletics with the possible exception of Nevin Shapiro and Headset Guy, but it was not an NCAA violation because UF claimed they knew nothing about it even though Spurrier said "something like that" (agent hook ups) couldn't happen at UF without him knowing about it (in response to FootLocker).
Exactly. And nothing has changed here. It was theft...PERIOD. A better comparison would be Peter Warrick/Laverneous Coles getting discounts at Dillards by employee of the company. NCAA doesn't get involved in theft cases like this. Jameis was punished by FSU with a suspension, when they had no obligation to do so. And the rest was handled by the legal system. Case closed. Time to move on FSU rivals and deal with your own issues, especially gator fans.

I think we all knew this to be the case anyway. So no shocker there. I just hope no deeper NCAA investigation comes of this.

It was treated and rectified as shoplifting, so I doubt anything comes of thus particular incident. However, how many more instances were there, with how many other players? That could be problematic, but likely very difficult to investigate.

everyone knew jameis stole nothing

I have to disagree with this. The guy behind the counter doesn't have the authority to give anyone free food. He can't do that without permission from a manager. If you want to say the guy behind the counter is at fault as well, that's fine, but Winston is still legally responsible also.

I also have to wonder if there are any legal ramifications in all of this, because Winston told the police he forgot to pay. If what he is saying now is that he really knew he was getting the food for free, then he gave false statements to the police.

Stealing is stealing. He payed up the consequences for the crime. Trying to prosecute for "false statements" on a shop lifting case is a bit of a stretch don't you think? 95% of the people caught shoplifting do not give entirely factual statements to the police.

I am not trying to excuse his behavior. Like I said, he stole food from the store. My roommate in the mid 90's had a similar hook up at that exact same store. He could go to a certain cashier that would give him and his frat bothers a deal. She would scan everything on the belt except the meat. I had access to the same hook up, but chose not to do it. BECAUSE IT WAS STEALING

Stealing is stealing. He payed up the consequences for the crime. Trying to prosecute for "false statements" on a shop lifting case is a bit of a stretch don't you think? 95% of the people caught shoplifting do not give entirely factual statements to the police.

I am not trying to excuse his behavior. Like I said, he stole food from the store. My roommate in the mid 90's had a similar hook up at that exact same store. He could go to a certain cashier that would give him and his frat bothers a deal. She would scan everything on the belt except the meat. I had access to the same hook up, but chose not to do it. BECAUSE IT WAS STEALING

It's not a stretch. I'm not advocating for them to do it, and I don't think they will, but it's not a stretch, by any imagination.

When you say most people who shoplift lie, that's true, but that's usually before the fact. Usually, the police say, "Did you steal this?" The perp says, "No." Then the police find evidence to the contrary, and accordingly arrest him.

Winston was given a citation, and got the PTI on the basis of his statement that he just "forgot" to pay. Now, after the fact, he says he took the food intentionally (regardless of the fact it was a "hookup). That's a completely different situation from the 95% you were describing.

Again, I'm not saying the will or should do anything to Winston. I'm just saying this issue is there, and I don't think it can be brushed off as lightly as you are implying.

TD You stated, "Winston was given a citation, and got the PTI on the basis of his statement that he just "forgot" to pay." Is this what you know he said, or are you basing it off hearsay? I have seen an official statement, where he stated more like,"I left the store without paying, I made a mistake." The reason is while they basically mean the same thing, if he stated he 'forgot to pay' vs "I did not pay,I made a mistake" there is a difference when saying he "lied."

Just looking for clarification.

This is a rehash of old mews. Of course it was a hookup vs stealing per se. Not saying its right but happens all the time. Why not come clean and say exactly what it was? Video proves his version.

It's not a stretch. I'm not advocating for them to do it, and I don't think they will, but it's not a stretch, by any imagination.

When you say most people who shoplift lie, that's true, but that's usually before the fact. Usually, the police say, "Did you steal this?" The perp says, "No." Then the police find evidence to the contrary, and accordingly arrest him.

Winston was given a citation, and got the PTI on the basis of his statement that he just "forgot" to pay. Now, after the fact, he says he took the food intentionally (regardless of the fact it was a "hookup). That's a completely different situation from the 95% you were describing.

Again, I'm not saying the will or should do anything to Winston. I'm just saying this issue is there, and I don't think it can be brushed off as lightly as you are implying.

You know, I totally agree with this. If JW gave one statement last year. Then he changes it this week to something else....I am totally fine with it being checked out again by the police, etc. This is the first time he has changed his story about one of his issues while at FSU. He has stuck with his story about the rape and the facts have backed him up. The crab incident was on him and he said as much. Now, he is recanting his story to police. I think it is b.s. and he should be questioned again, if warranted.

As TD said, I highly doubt it is a big deal and much to do about nothing, however I am not opposed for JW to account for his multiple stories and be held accountable for what actually did happen at the Publix.

Trying to prosecute for "false statements" on a shop lifting case is a bit of a stretch don't you think?

Bro, do you remember TDCT from old boards?
He always makes outlandish claims if it is negative for FSU - you know, largely because his team is our stomping ground.

I don't see how this would be any more important than a guy getting caught speeding at 90 mph and telling the officer he thought he was going 80, only to later say "yeah I was going about 90." Worth investigation? I guess if you're really interested in using tax dollars for it...be my guest.

TD You stated, "Winston was given a citation, and got the PTI on the basis of his statement that he just "forgot" to pay." Is this what you know he said, or are you basing it off hearsay? I have seen an official statement, where he stated more like,"I left the store without paying, I made a mistake." The reason is while they basically mean the same thing, if he stated he 'forgot to pay' vs "I did not pay,I made a mistake" there is a difference when saying he "lied."

Here is his statement : "In a moment of youthful ignorance, I walked out of the store without paying for one of my items," Winston said in a statement.

His statement to Harbaugh, does not change that statement at all. He did walk out without paying.

Reactions: Nolebra Kai

According to Mike Wood of Leon County Sheriff's office, Winston told the police that he forgot to pay.

Deputies went to Winston's house, where Wood said he told officers he had forgotten to pay for the food.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/police-jameis-winston-forgot-to-pay-for-crab-crawfish/

I guess its theoretically possible that all the news agencies got it wrong, but the source cited is an officer with Leon County. You also said in your response that Winston said "more like." Well, "more like" isn't exact either. I think its pretty clear from the reporting that Winston told police he forgot to pay.

Again, will anything come of it? I doubt it. I was just pointing it out. My issue really isn't with Winston or the cops. My issue is more with the fans, illustrated by your "more like" statement.

According to Mike Wood of Leon County Sheriff's office, Winston told the police that he forgot to pay.

Deputies went to Winston's house, where Wood said he told officers he had forgotten to pay for the food.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/police-jameis-winston-forgot-to-pay-for-crab-crawfish/

I guess its theoretically possible that all the news agencies got it wrong, but the source cited is an officer with Leon County. You also said in your response that Winston said "more like." Well, "more like" isn't exact either. I think its pretty clear from the reporting that Winston told police he forgot to pay.

Again, will anything come of it? I doubt it. I was just pointing it out. My issue really isn't with Winston or the cops. My issue is more with the fans, illustrated by your "more like" statement.

So, he tried to protect the guy who gave it to him and later in a prepared statement, he accepted total responsibility and punishment for it. Any way you shake it, what he did was wrong (theft). It might be time for our rivals to focus on a way to beat us on the field rather than worrying about a former player of ours.

So, he tried to protect the guy who gave it to him and later in a prepared statement, he accepted total responsibility and punishment for it. Any way you shake it, what he did was wrong (theft). It might be time for our rivals to focus on a way to beat us on the field rather than worrying about a former player of ours.

Accepting total responsibility has nothing do with it. If he says, "I forgot to pay," or "I walked out without paying," that's "total responsibility" either way. That's not the issue. What I was pointing out is that neither one of those statements indicates anything about a "hook up."

Accepting total responsibility has nothing do with it. If he says, "I forgot to pay," or "I walked out without paying," that's "total responsibility" either way. That's not the issue. What I was pointing out is that neither one of those statements indicates anything about a "hook up."

Would it make any less or more of a crime? No.

Does it make it a NCAA violation? No.

Peter Warrick and Laverneous Coles got a "hook up" too at Dillard's. Winston got his at Publix. Almost identical. Winston was suspended from games, paid restitution, etc. It's over. Time to move on to something or someone new rival fans.

Reactions: Jay1187

Peter Warrick and Laverneous Coles got a "hook up" too at Dillard's. Winston got his at Publix. Almost identical. Winston was suspended from games, paid restitution, etc. It's over. Time to move on to something or someone new rival fans.

Jealous rival fans do not want to move on, they want to make another mountain out of a mole hill. Of course, having a hookup at Publix is the Crime of the Century, and every Gator, Cane and Clemson Tiger needs to drop what they are doing and express their outrage at FSU's chicanery. As we know, none of the choir boys at Florida, Miami or Clemson would ever get any special treatment, those schools are just clean as a whistle.:confused:

I had a hook up at steak n shake the other day when I knew one of the workers and got a free shake. This has nothing to do with Jameis even if it was a hook up with the crab legs. I know the NCAA will make a big deal out of it and so will ESPN and what not but I'm pretty sure Jameis isn't the only college kid who gets free stuff cause a friend works at a store. The only person who should be getting in any trouble here is the worker and he should only be getting in trouble with publix. Not like Jameis was given a free car by a booster or something. It was crab legs from some kid who doesnt give two poops about his crappy publix job. This kinda stuff happens all the time.

Actually, yes it does. It's a whole lot easier to get PTI if you tell a judge, "I just messed up this one time," as opposed to, "I've done it before."

What's funny is while most fans and locals figured a "hook up" was what it was now he says it was, media dopes and social media trolls now insist this is just another Jameis lie.
I think he should have just kept his piehole shut for a while longer.I'll be waiting to hear some breaking news the day of draft day.

The only thing that this new story proves is that Winston is a liar. This will be used in regards to his character in the civil suit and make a case for an even larger settlement and puts FSU in a bad spot to defend their case because the accused credibility is even further diminished.

Gritz ... it's similar but not close in value. Not defending Winston on this and never did. If he walked out and "forgot to pay" the honest thing to have done when he realized that oversite would have been to call the store and explain he inadvertently walked out with the crab and would either come back and pay or drop the money off on the way to school the next morning (since it was so late).

If he took responsibility and stated he "left the store without paying" then it becomes obvious he was protecting the pirp who was providing the benefit.

Either way he was wrong in his actions.

That said, I challenged even the most challenged haters to show me a school where this sort of behavior doesn't happen almost daily. FB/BB players getting free pizza at the local pizza parlor. Or ordering two pies and getting charged for one. Bartenders pouring a drink or a beer and stating "it's on the house". Free round of golf back home. Discounted clothing because you play for a certain team. Discount on a car purchase. Happens all the time. .... every university. .

Gritz ... it's similar but not close in value. Not defending Winston on this and never did. If he walked out and "forgot to pay" the honest thing to have done when he realized that oversite would have been to call the store and explain he inadvertently walked out with the crab and would either come back and pay or drop the money off on the way to school the next morning (since it was so late).

If he took responsibility and stated he "left the store without paying" then it becomes obvious he was protecting the pirp who was providing the benefit.

Either way he was wrong in his actions.

That said, I challenged even the most challenged haters to show me a school where this sort of behavior doesn't happen almost daily. FB/BB players getting free pizza at the local pizza parlor. Or ordering two pies and getting charged for one. Bartenders pouring a drink or a beer and stating "it's on the house". Free round of golf back home. Discounted clothing because you play for a certain team. Discount on a car purchase. Happens all the time. .... every university. .

The value of the clothes that Coles and Warrick were involved in with their discount, far outweighed the value of a cake and crab legs. It was several hundred dollars worth. We agree Winston was wrong in his actions either way because it amounts to theft. I think his comment to the police was to protect the Publix employee and himself and off the cuff. His statement later was one that was prepared. Either way, he was punished by the school (suspension) and legal system (retribution/community service).

TDClemson has his agenda and it is clear. I am not sure why this is even news as much as it is...must be a slow news week. If our rival's coaching staff put in as much time trying to figure out how to beat FSU as their fans put into the hate, they might actually win every now and then. Hell, based on TDCT, Clemson might even manage to put a couple in a row on us.

I had a hook up at steak n shake the other day when I knew one of the workers and got a free shake. This has nothing to do with Jameis even if it was a hook up with the crab legs. I know the NCAA will make a big deal out of it and so will ESPN and what not but I'm pretty sure Jameis isn't the only college kid who gets free stuff cause a friend works at a store. The only person who should be getting in any trouble here is the worker and he should only be getting in trouble with publix. Not like Jameis was given a free car by a booster or something. It was crab legs from some kid who doesnt give two poops about his crappy publix job. This kinda stuff happens all the time.

ESPN doesn't even care, that's how meaningless it is.

The really funny part is that a large majority of the people nit-picking on this would do the exact same thing if they were a star athlete with tons of dudes trying to give them stuff. I know because I've seen it happen to equipment managers, trainers, ball boys, etc. There's a lot of holier-than-thou going on...

This DOES NOT happen at every University, just as most things that Winston has been involved in would never have been tolerated at most Universities.

Let's at least try to lighten the spin.

This DOES NOT happen at every University, just as most things that Winston has been involved in would never have been tolerated at most Universities.

Let's at least try to lighten the spin.

In my opinion, Guys hooking- up with girls, yelling/saying obscenities are rampant across most Universities. I can't tell you how often I hear the F word in public around young people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT