ADVERTISEMENT

Kurt Cobain doc on HBO tonight

QuaZ2002

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Reviews I've read seem to be positive. They got a ton of home movies from his childhood and also access to his journals and interviews with lots of family and friends. His daughter is a producer which is kind of cool. I'm going go check it out for sure. 9pm.

One of my old reps brother was one of the editors on this project, looks cool.

That was incredibly uncomfortable to watch...but really really good too!

His parents really did a number on him.

I just saw it. Cobain's childhood was really screwed up. You can see why he was screwed up as an adult. And marrying Courtney didn't help. I think she was the worst thing to happen to him. Junkie + Junkie = Disaster

And one other thing: I think Courtney's a pig. She's living off her dead husband. The only thing she ever did that I liked was Man On The Moon.

I feel like he sold himself to the devil in a way.

He hated the way the drugs and fame and even the his rough childhood made him feel...which was clearly angry and depressed.

But at the same time he knew that his struggles is what inspired his creative side and provided him with the drive to prove to everyone that he was relevant in this world.

It was a double edge sword.

And clearly through his music and voice you could hear the story we were told tonight. This doc was the first time it was told, but from the first time you heard his voice 20 years ago you knew this is what went down. Pretty incredible how he nailed it.

I feel like he sold himself to the devil in a way.

He hated the way the drugs and fame and even the his rough childhood made him feel...which was clearly angry and depressed.

But at the same time he knew that his struggles is what inspired his creative side and provided him with the drive to prove to everyone that he was relevant in this world.

See, this is the common Nirvana/Cobain narrative, but much like the Jameis Winston narrative, it is very inaccurate and completely media driven. Nirvana's music wasn't angry. It was very positive, fun and funny. Most Nirvana songs were written while Cobain wasn't on heroin. He was living a nice artistic life while his girlfriend supported him by working at Boeing while he slept late, painted, wrote songs and rehearsed with the band. He was part of a thriving and vibrant artistic community in Olympia, Washington.

Then he got famous, got addicted and killed himself. All that had next to zero impact on the music since Cobain only wrote and handful of songs after he became a junkie and famous. Cobain was no different than a lot of people that had it rough growing up. He was very creative, talented and good looking. It's good media and marketing to sell the tortured artist, but it's not true.

See, this is the common Nirvana/Cobain narrative, but much like the Jameis Winston narrative, it is very inaccurate and completely media driven. Nirvana's music wasn't angry. It was very positive, fun and funny. Most Nirvana songs were written while Cobain wasn't on heroin. He was living a nice artistic life while his girlfriend supported him by working at Boeing while he slept late, painted, wrote songs and rehearsed with the band. He was part of a thriving and vibrant artistic community in Olympia, Washington.

Then he got famous, got addicted and killed himself. All that had next to zero impact on the music since Cobain only wrote and handful of songs after he became a junkie and famous. Cobain was no different than a lot of people that had it rough growing up. He was very creative, talented and good looking. It's good media and marketing to sell the tortured artist, but it's not true.

I disagree, his parents were telling the story last about they passed him around as a teenager. Kurt himself told stories about being an outcast and not feeling accepted at school. He turned to his artistic side to release his frustration and for a lack of better term, get his side out.

As he started to redeem himself and people began to pay attention to him and take him serious....I believe this is when he felt that he was losing his edge, and that scares him. He didn't know how to handle the fact that people liked him and accepted him. This is when Courtney came along and he gravatated to her.

And I never implied that he wrote his best music while high or during those years. Not sure why you went and assumed that. It was pretty clear last night during the doc he wrote all his best stuff while living with his gf while she worked.

As far as the nature of his songs, if you found them fun and funny, that's your opinion. I didn't find them fun or funny at all....didn't think they were dark either. Just associated a kid with frustrations about being a teenager and divorced parents etc....which turned out to be true...that's exactly what he was.

My favorite song by Nirvana that I felt wrapped up Kurt best was "Sliver". The lyrics energy and frustration in his voice was all spot on IMO.

Did you watch the doc?

Last edited:
So he was made fun of by his high school friends for trying to bang a fat retarded girl and stealing her booze? What a demented freak! No wonder how I could relate so much to his music.

Watching it a second time I could tell that Courtney had some work done on her mug to make her look more presentable.

I liked when they showed the concert posters because I saw some of the bands that Nirvana played with---Tad, Screaming Trees and The Melvins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT