ADVERTISEMENT

Leinenkugel-Summer Shandy

DanC78

Veteran Seminole Insider
Aug 29, 2003
Damn good beer, I highly recommend.

Alc content is moderate to low (4.2%), but I prefer that way when on the beach or drinking for longer periods of time.

Little pricey, but worth it next time you're outside and want a refreshing beer.

summershandy-bottle-pour.jpg

I had Bavarians on the boat yesterday. They drank Budweiser and sprite all day. Apparently mixing beer and sprite is a real thing in Germany. They had a name for it, but I can't remember or pronounce it.

I drank about 200 of them over the course of a holiday weekend last year when at a wedding in Michigan. I know you don't care but point being - yea I like them

Wait , what?? Tribe drinks publix lemonade and Miller High Life ???

Yep! It's a great summer drink. Although Simply Lemonade is better than Publix and grapefruit juice will work fantastically as well. I just don't think there's a reason to waste good quality beer when making a shandy. And the shamp on ya of beers is a nice cheap base with little off taste.

There's only two times I drink American adjunct lagers: 1) to make shandys and 2) when I've been doing long distance hiking in summer heat and want a light "recovery drink".

Yep! It's a great summer drink. Although Simply Lemonade is better than Publix and grapefruit juice will work fantastically as well. I just don't think there's a reason to waste good quality beer when making a shandy. And the shamp on ya of beers is a nice cheap base with little off taste.

There's only two times I drink American adjunct lagers: 1) to make shandys and 2) when I've been doing long distance hiking in summer heat and want a light "recovery drink".

Whats the beer to lemonade ratio?

Oh and don't shake it or vigorously stir it up. I use a Pilsner glass and pour a third of the lemonade/grapefruit juice into the bottom, half the beer, then a third of the fruit juice then the other half of the beer and then top it with the remaining juice. Then I take a butter knife and gently fold the layers about two or three times. That preserves most of the carbonation.

You putting Bacardi lemon in there too?

No because shandys are just a light slightly alcoholic drink you use in place of beer not a getting drunk kind of thing. But it would probably work just fine to "kick it up a notch". I've got some limoncello I'm making that should be done soon, if it's good to go tomorrow maybe I'll make some shandy plus kicker.

Yep. Radler is pilsener mixed with lemon soda. A shandy is similar, but uses lemonade. Germans who can't get a ready-mixed Radler will mix Sprite with a pilsener to make a pretty good approximation. My wife used to get confused looks from waiters when she'd order a sprite mixed with beer. Usually they'd just bring her a beer and Sprite and let her mix it herself. It's kind of a warm weather drink in Germany. Beer and cola is also a drink. That's called a Diesel.

Pour a XX into a margarita for a Mexican version. Abita strawberry also works very well

Between Greece defaulting and the HORRIBLE sound of those beer and soda mixes, I'm starting to worry about Germany.

Don't knock it till you try it!

(I will say adding sprite sounds a bit nasty)

Between Greece defaulting and the HORRIBLE sound of those beer and soda mixes, I'm starting to worry about Germany.
They do sound nasty, but keep in mind they are not every day drinkers. They are more geared towards women and people who want something refreshing on a hot day. Germans like bubbly drinks too, like carbonated water and fruit juices, so these are like sparkly beers.

Pour a can of Bud Light in a pint glass. Pour a shot of vodka, and then a shot of 50% lime juice/50% lemon juice (from those plastic lime/lemon bottles). Stir lightly. Tastes the same, and will give you a nice buzz after a few.

Delta was serving this on domestic flights a few years ago, it was pretty enjoyable for one or two on a flight. Not sure why they stopped this.

Edit, maybe it wasn't the "shandy" version, but it was the stock summer ale.... pretty good anyways.

My wife likes Summer Shandy. It's actually pretty refreshing and I'll have one every once in a while.

Today we had the Grapefruit Shandy sitting out on our back porch. Pretty tasty but I couldn't drink a bunch of them. I had one and then switched over to an IPA, LOL.

Shiner has a new summer brew with cactus fruit. It's pretty good. Just a light note of fruit with a sweet taste at the end.

There are 9 of these in my fridge that I'm not going to drink if anyone wants to come get them. Moral: Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, especially if authored by DanC78.

There are 9 of these in my fridge that I'm not going to drink if anyone wants to come get them. Moral: Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, especially if authored by DanC78.

Ouch!

What did you not like about it...sounds like a beyond not like and right to hate...although you did down 4 of them.

Shiner has a new summer brew with cactus fruit. It's pretty good. Just a light note of fruit with a sweet taste at the end.
Yep, made with Prickly Pear. Pretty good. Their Ruby Red (grapefruit) is better. It was so popular it became an all year brew.
They are good session/summer beers.
I'm not a big fan of the lemon beers.

Ouch!

What did you not like about it...sounds like a beyond not like and right to hate...although you did down 4 of them.
Your math skills are lacking too? Good grief, man! Get some help. I had 2 1/2 of them. The first I poured into a pilsner glass and thought it tasted like flat, bitter, lemon water. The second one I drank from the bottle and thought it was better, but only because the carbonation was noticeable. I tried the third because I'm, uh, frugal. I guess it just doesn't please my palate. Live & learn. No biggie.

Your math skills are lacking too? Good grief, man! Get some help. I had 2 1/2 of them. The first I poured into a pilsner glass and thought it tasted like flat, bitter, lemon water. The second one I drank from the bottle and thought it was better, but only because the carbonation was noticeable. I tried the third because I'm, uh, frugal. I guess it just doesn't please my palate. Live & learn. No biggie.

I know it's not a biggie....its effing beer for God sake, nothing to get panties in a wad about.

Stick with what works for you, I like them after doing yard work or when out in the sun.

To each their own.

Yep. Radler is pilsener mixed with lemon soda. A shandy is similar, but uses lemonade. Germans who can't get a ready-mixed Radler will mix Sprite with a pilsener to make a pretty good approximation. My wife used to get confused looks from waiters when she'd order a sprite mixed with beer. Usually they'd just bring her a beer and Sprite and let her mix it herself. It's kind of a warm weather drink in Germany. Beer and cola is also a drink. That's called a Diesel.

Coors just came out with Coors Light Citrus Radler. Sold a 12 pack and it came back. The guy hated it. Sam Adams has a lemon shandy out now under a different name, Traveler.

ADVERTISEMENT