ADVERTISEMENT

Listening to sports on the radio/ internet

GwinnettNole

Seminole Insider
Sep 4, 2001
All,
Does anyone listen to games on the radio or over the internet? It can be FSU sports, pro's or whatever.
I'm finding that as I get older the less and less I want to spend money on certain things and cable is one of them. We opted to YTTV/streaming about three years ago. I think most know that regional fox sports (now Bally's) has been discontinued on the streaming services like YTTV and Hulu.

So instead of hopping right back onto the cable, long term contract bandwagon, I kept YTTV and started listening to games of the local pro teams on the radio and internet.
This includes my favorite sports of baseball and soccer, but also do it for football and basketball. Its not bad. One thing I noticed is it kind of forces you to pay attention. Its like you can't really do something else for 10 minutes and know what's going on immediately after getting back to it like you can on TV. It takes more time to get back into knowing what's going on because the visual isn't there for radio (I guess?). Its different. Not a bad thing, but just what I noticed.
As a kid I used to listen to baseball on the radio (in the 80's), so its not really new for me. But it is for my son who isn't taking too it.

Anyway this thread is not about the different options to watch on TV. I know there are literally many of them including pirating games (which I'm not going to do).
Its more about listening to sports, ever try it?

I still find baseball is the most radio-friendly sport. I use the MLB app ($20 per year) and can listen to any MLB game and choose which team’s announcers I want to hear. I grew up in Houston so it is a cheap way to track the Astros. The FSU Gameday app is usually a good option for FSU baseball but they seemed to have volume issues this year. If more sports had easier access to live games I would give it a try. Radio allows me to be mobile and do other things while listening. TV tends to lock you in a place (unless you are streaming on your phone). There are a lot of options. The times they are a’changin’...

If I'm driving yes, alot. I used to put in 40-50 k a year working retail, driving the tristate area of Ohio, Pa and WVa. I would listen to Cleveland, Pittsburgh Buffalo and Cincinnati teams, usually at night when I could get the AM signal better. I could even pick up Boston, New York and Chicago stations on some nights, weather and season permitting. I would sometimes play a game to keep me awake at night, writing down the games whose broadcast signals reached me, I would sometimes rack up as many as 20-30 games! Of course not all were major leagues, I would get minor leagues as well. I occasionally still do it, when I fly in at night to Jax and make the long, boring drive over to Tally.

Reactions: GwinnettNole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT