ADVERTISEMENT

Golf Lottie Woad in first place after two rounds at Augusta National

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU sports information:

Florida State All-America Lottie Woad is in first place after the second round of the Fifth Annual Augusta National Women’s Amateur at the Champions Retreat Golf Course. Woad has a two-round total of 139 (68-71) and is two strokes ahead of Florida’s Maisie Filler as the field enters Saturday’s championship round at the famed Augusta National Golf Club.

Woad (1, -5, 139) and Mirabel Ting (T5, -1, 143) have both advanced to the final round of the 2024 ANWA. Woad finished the second round with a score of 1 under par 71 while Ting finished the second round with a 74. Both Seminoles finished inside the top 30 and advanced to the to the final round of the championship. Seminole All-American Charlotte Heath also carded a score of 74 in the final round but did not advance.

Woad (68-71) and Gianna Clemente (70-71) are the only two players in the field of 72 who totaled under par scores in both of the first two rounds.

Woad played magnificent golf in very challenging conditions in round two. She finished with five birdies on a windy day to keep her total score under par. Woad has been at or under par through the majority the first two rounds of play.

“It was probably one of the best 1-unders I have shot in a long time,” said Woad immediately following the round. “I stuck a nice one close on nine to get some momentum going, and then it was really just trying to work out the right numbers because it was so hard to get the right clubs.”

Woad spoke about playing the famed course at Augusta National.

“Playing (Augusta) last year definitely helps, so I know what to expect,” said Woad. “It’s going to be really cool to play Augusta again Saturday.”

Ting made the cut in her first career ANWA as she carded a 2 over par score of 74 in the second round. She finished the first two rounds in a tie for fifth place with a two-round total of 1 under par 143. Ting carded scores of 69-74 with six birdies and one eagle over her first 36 holes. She totaled one birdie and 15 holes scored at par or better in the second round to earn her top-10 placing.

“It started pretty well for me on the front nine,” said Ting shortly after the completion of the second round. “The wind picked up a little on the back. Overall, it was pretty good; I felt like I played well today. The greens are firmer today than yesterday, the balls are impossible to stop, and with this wind is tough.”

Heath finished in a tie for 51st place with scores of 76-74 for a 36-hole total of 150. She totaled four second-round birdies and earned five birdies on her 36 holes during her second carer appearance in the ANWA.

Florida State and South Carolina are the only two schools in the nation with multiple players in the top five of the ANWA after two rounds of play.

“I am extremely proud of our three Seminoles and how they have represented our university this week,” said Head Coach Amy Bond. “They each put together great rounds today. To have two in the top five is special. This is a pinnacle golf tournament with the best players in the world of amateur golf.

“Lottie and Mirabel have a chance to compete on the highest stage at Augusta National on Saturday. They have worked hard to get here, and this is their week. I hope that have some fun now and enjoy the walk.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT