ADVERTISEMENT

Mad Max getting great reviews

FSUTribe76

Veteran Seminole Insider
Jan 23, 2008
It's currently at 99% on Rotten tomatoes amongst critics and 100% with "top critics". I haven't seen anything that high in quite awhile.

It's currently at 99% on Rotten tomatoes amongst critics and 100% with "top critics". I haven't seen anything that high in quite awhile.
Could be the kiss of death!

I was never really a fan of the original ones.

Noticed that too. 9 times out of 10, my personal rating isn't very far off from the RT rating, so this development has definitely increased my interest in this movie.

Although Gravity has a 97% rating, and that was one of the worst movies I've seen in the last 10 years, maybe ever (needless to say that's definitely one of the 1 out of 10s).

It looks horrible to me, but I don't know anything about the story... Is it based off of a book or a video game or something?

Just the three other movies. I've tried to avoid spoilers as much as possible but one review I read said that despite the change from Mel Gibson to Tom Hardy, it's supposed to be set sometime between Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome. So after Max learns to care about people and society has turned to complete %*%* but before he becomes a Robin Hood caricature.

Noticed that too. 9 times out of 10, my personal rating isn't very far off from the RT rating, so this development has definitely increased my interest in this movie.

Although Gravity has a 97% rating, and that was one of the worst movies I've seen in the last 10 years, maybe ever (needless to say that's definitely one of the 1 out of 10s).

yeah, my rating is normally WAY off from the critics on rotten tomatoes. However, my rating is fairly accurate with the audience rating of rotten tomatoes...so I like to stick with that one.

I'm a slap stick comedy type a guy. I did like bird man, and midnight in paris and few others similar to those, but for the most part...I like comedies. And comedies hardly ever get good reviews from the critics. I also like the super hero movies...they typically get high rating from both audience and critics.

I was a big fan of the first two. Thunderdome was a HUGE disappointment to me. Seeing the trailer to this one got me very excited and I'm surprised/glad that critics are liking it.

I was a big fan of the first two. Thunderdome was a HUGE disappointment to me. Seeing the trailer to this one got me very excited and I'm surprised/glad that critics are liking it.

It had a great theme song though. :)

If Thunderdome could have come up with a different ending versus repeating the same chase scene from Road Warrior, that would have been a big help.

Loved Road Warrior ever since it came out. Mad Max creeps me out with all the bleakness and weird characters but it's a great flick too. Thunderdome had its moments but was too mainstream and I generally don't care for movies where children play a big part in the story. (Same with Indiana Jones and Temple of Doom).

I just hope the new film isn't overloaded with CGI.

Loved Road Warrior ever since it came out. Mad Max creeps me out with all the bleakness and weird characters but it's a great flick too. Thunderdome had its moments but was too mainstream and I generally don't care for movies where children play a big part in the story. (Same with Indiana Jones and Temple of Doom).

It's almost all practical effects. So no George Lucas prequel trilogy lame "action" sequences here.

Reactions: DFSNOLE

One reviewer stated that Mad Max "shamed all modern action films that rely too heavily on CGI, this is how it's done w/ practical effects".

Also, I hate to be that guy but how can someone not know what or who Mad Max is. It's iconic cinema and an iconic character unless you were born in the 30s or in early 2000.

Reactions: NoleinATL
One reviewer stated that Mad Max "shamed all modern action films that rely too heavily on CGI, this is how it's done w/ practical effects".

Also, I hate to be that guy but how can someone not know what or who Mad Max is. It's iconic cinema and an iconic character unless you were born in the 30s or in early 2000.

Big fan of the first two films. I pretend the third one never happened. And yes, I am the old, "get off my lawn" guy wondering how you can not know about this series?

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Big fan of the first two films. I pretend the third one never happened. And yes, I am the old, "get off my lawn" guy wondering how you can not know about this series?

Also, I'm really looking forward to seeing it at the I-Max -- Hey-oh, I'll be here all week. Tip your servers.

I do that for a number of films unfortunately. There's only one Matrix, Conan and Highlander. Only two Mad Maxes, Supermen and Terminators. Only three Star Wars, Batmen, Indiana Jones, Spidermen (first two and first reboot). And only four Xmen (first two and two reboots).

Reactions: mjpwooo
I never got into the first set of films, but I'd watch this one on Netflix or whatever. I thought that Tom Hardy was great in The Drop and Peaky Blinders and I'd be willing to give him a shot in the new Mad Max.

I do that for a number of films unfortunately. There's only one Matrix, Conan and Highlander. Only two Mad Maxes, Supermen and Terminators. Only three Star Wars, Batmen, Indiana Jones, Spidermen (first two and first reboot). And only four Xmen (first two and two reboots).

Yep, lots of overlap with you. Agree in regard to MM, Superman, Terminator, X-Men, and Indiana Jones. I can only get behind two of the Star Wars films. Was never a Spidey guy. I'm dubious about the next Terminator.

Yep, lots of overlap with you. Agree in regard to MM, Superman, Terminator, X-Men, and Indiana Jones. I can only get behind two of the Star Wars films. Was never a Spidey guy. I'm dubious about the next Terminator.

Gotta add the Godfather here too. I refuse to ever watch III again, just turrible.

Mad max Fury Road:
Good flick. Highly entertaining, strange and creepy at times, fantastic action and yes almost no noticeable cgi, solid storyline that never quite answers everything. But I didn't mind. Small critique that Hardy's Max was more socially awkward than mad, but fans of the original won't be disappointed. Supporting cast was excellent

Saw it on Sunday and loved it. Even better than Avengers Age of Ultron imo.

It. Is. Awesome.

Seriously, we went Saturday night, and loved every second. My eyes never got droopy.

Want to feel old? TD came out in 1985. How the hell did 30 years go by so quickly?

Reactions: bigmamanole
Saw it over the weekend and enjoyed it, but it should have been called 'Furiosa and her mute passenger Max.' Hardy made about a million a word for that flick.

Saw it Sunday. Best movie I've seen in the last ten years, hands down.

Everything I wanted it to be, it is. Will see it again next weekend.

Saw it last night. Wow. Great movie with action from start to finish. Definitely worth seeing on the big screen.

As a huge fan of the series, I liked the new one. A few critiques though. Max just either grunted or didn't say anything in the movie for the most part. I get the silent type, but a little more dialogue would've been nice. Secondly, while really entertaining I still kind of thought that it felt a little too much like the Road Warrior and not as original. Third, I liked the storyline but the ending was a little too "clean" for a Mad Max movie. Or at least what I was hoping for. That could just be me though. And finally, *************Spoiler alert**************

Why did the mountain people not come out and attack when they went back through the canyon? And how did they clear the rocks out of the way that quickly? Kind of minor but that bugged me a little.

As a huge fan of the series, I liked the new one. A few critiques though. Max just either grunted or didn't say anything in the movie for the most part. I get the silent type, but a little more dialogue would've been nice..

Max had 16 lines of dialogue in Road Warrior.

Love the Mad Max movies, the original is definitely the best.

I was very excited for this one. And kind of let down. It was good, but the whole move was set on the vehicles, so it kind of lost its coolness. Max grunting all movie, hmm. It was good, not great. I liked him being backseat to Furiosa, but something about the movie just left me wanting more.

I was very excited for this one. And kind of let down. It was good, but the whole move was set on the vehicles, so it kind of lost its coolness. Max grunting all movie, hmm. It was good, not great. I liked him being backseat to Furiosa, but something about the movie just left me wanting more.

I'm sure the studio will be happy to accommodate you in about 3-4 years.

Haha. Meaning they may do a Furiosa movie? Or the next Mad Max movie? Or both?

Her and the gang of women running the show with that pack of ashy inbred children might be interesting.

I watched the original on Netflix, and I didn't enjoy it much at all. Will give it another shot.

Apparently George Miller wanted to release Mad Max Fury Road in black and white (similar to Frank Darabont with The Mist) but Miller wasn't as dead set on it as Darabont. It's going to be on the blu-ray release:

I have no idea who Mad Max is, and never knew there were older movies. I've heard the new one is good, but I'll definitely wait for HBO. And even then, meh.

I thought Fury Road was the best Mad Max movie by far and the original was the worst. The previews do not do it justice. Even my wife enjoyed it and she usually hates action movies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT