ADVERTISEMENT

Mad Max getting great reviews

I thought Fury Road was the best Mad Max movie by far and the original was the worst. The previews do not do it justice. Even my wife enjoyed it and she usually hates action movies.

Yeah, the original Mad Max is horrid.

Fury Road >>>> Road Warrior >>>>>

OG Mad Max

Thunderdome

I saw it over the weekend and it was great. The action never stopped. Walking out of the theater, I felt as though I was "coming down" after all the stimulation.

I love how they stayed consistent with the the overall feel of the Mad Max movies, although the story doesn't seem to relate to any of the other movies. I guess they wanted this to be a stand alone movie.
The flashbacks were similar to what happened in the first movie, but instead of his wife and son getting run over by a motorcycle gang, it's a little girl and a bunch of cars and trucks. His car looks like the last of the V8 Interceptors, which was blown up in the end of Road Warrior, but it is slightly different. Also, the little music box from Road Warrior (which was given to the wild child with the boomerang) makes another appearance, although it seems like more of a nod to the earlier movie and not significant to Fury Road.

I saw it over the weekend and it was great. The action never stopped. Walking out of the theater, I felt as though I was "coming down" after all the stimulation.

I love how they stayed consistent with the the overall feel of the Mad Max movies, although the story doesn't seem to relate to any of the other movies. I guess they wanted this to be a stand alone movie.
The flashbacks were similar to what happened in the first movie, but instead of his wife and son getting run over by a motorcycle gang, it's a little girl and a bunch of cars and trucks. His car looks like the last of the V8 Interceptors, which was blown up in the end of Road Warrior, but it is slightly different. Also, the little music box from Road Warrior (which was given to the wild child with the boomerang) makes another appearance, although it seems like more of a nod to the earlier movie and not significant to Fury Road.

They're all stand alone films to a degree, outside of Mad Max himself.

I mean, there's characters in each film that cross over and play different characters from Road Warrior to Thunderdome. Like you said, the V8 Interceptor is in every film but it's destroyed in every film too. It must be like Christine and resurrects itself each film.

Reactions: NoleManDan17
Yeah, I remember the same actor playing a similar but different character in Road Warrior and Thunderdome. I don't think the Interceptor was in Thunderdome, though. It's pretty cool that they're all stand alone films, now that I think of it. It's not so much a linear story line as it is several recollections from the different tribes about when they were visited by the legend known as Mad Max. The narration is usually done by a member of a tribe too, IIRC.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Yeah, I remember the same actor playing a similar but different character in Road Warrior and Thunderdome. I don't think the Interceptor was in Thunderdome, though. It's pretty cool that they're all stand alone films, now that I think of it. It's not so much a linear story line as it is several recollections from the different tribes about when they were visited by the legend known as Mad Max. The narration is usually done by a member of a tribe too, IIRC.

Fury Road is time wise set in between Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome.

Reactions: Rhino_nole

It's been awhile but I think Mad Max has his Interceptor stolen or his stuff taken to Barter Town and can't leave until he fights in the Thunderdome.

It's been awhile but I think Mad Max has his Interceptor stolen or his stuff taken to Barter Town and can't leave until he fights in the Thunderdome.
In the beginning of Thunderdome, he's driving a horse drawn carriage when he's attacked by a man and his son in a little plane. They steal his carriage and take it to Barter Town.

In the beginning of Thunderdome, he's driving a horse drawn carriage when he's attacked by a man and his son in a little plane. They steal his carriage and take it to Barter Town.

That's right, he was driving some truck thing right? This thing:

mm6.jpg

How did Max have a Interceptor when the one he had was blown up after crashing in Road Warrior? I'm pretty sure that mechanic in the compound in RW called it "the last of the V-8 Interceptors" when they rolled it inside.

Didn't understand the reason for Furioso to bring along that extra cargo when she had to know that would bring everyone after her. How would that help her reach her goal?

zero desire to see this movie, but the reviews are starting to change my mind. I'll watch it one demand I guess.

Does the new guy launch into any antisemetic rants after a few post apocolyptic belts?

zero desire to see this movie, but the reviews are starting to change my mind. I'll watch it one demand I guess.

This is me. I've never seen the earlier ones, and have never wanted to. Nothing about them appeals to me...man card violation or whatever. I've been hearing people talk about those movies since I was a child, and raving about their virtues, and I've yet to hear one thing said that remotely made me want to see them.

This past weekend I was out of town and wanted to take in a movie for lack of anything better to do. However, the grand town of Tuscaloosa had all of one theater, and it wasn't showing Ex Machina, which is what I wanted to see. That 98% Rotten Tomatoes score finally got me. Even worse, I had to see it in 3-D because of the timing of shows.

All I can say is holy crap, one of the more amazing experiences I've had in a movie theater in the last 20 years. I put it up there with Jurassic Park and T2 as far as Holy Sh--! experiences, although for totally different reasons. I assumed I would never have that feeling again, given the state of effects, but never considered that I would run into it again in a mainstream movie. I've experienced it on the small screen since - Let The Right One In, just off the top of my head, but I never expected it in a major release in a theater.

The overall non-stop inventiveness of every aspect...the design, the fight choreography, the costumes, the characters, the script...it just blew my mind. I was captivated throughout...instead of "Holy crap, how did they do that?" it was "Holy crap, how did someone even think of that?". But it all worked...it wasn't just crazy crap thrown at the wall, it functioned perfectly.

Maybe it helped that I hadn't seen the others, but while it might not be the "best film" I've seen in years, it was certainly one of the most impressive experiences that I responded to the most.

This is me. I've never seen the earlier ones, and have never wanted to. Nothing about them appeals to me...man card violation or whatever. I've been hearing people talk about those movies since I was a child, and raving about their virtues, and I've yet to hear one thing said that remotely made me want to see them.

This past weekend I was out of town and wanted to take in a movie for lack of anything better to do. However, the grand town of Tuscaloosa had all of one theater, and it wasn't showing Ex Machina, which is what I wanted to see. That 98% Rotten Tomatoes score finally got me. Even worse, I had to see it in 3-D because of the timing of shows.

All I can say is holy crap, one of the more amazing experiences I've had in a movie theater in the last 20 years. I put it up there with Jurassic Park and T2 as far as Holy Sh--! experiences, although for totally different reasons. I assumed I would never have that feeling again, given the state of effects, but never considered that I would run into it again in a mainstream movie. I've experienced it on the small screen since - Let The Right One In, just off the top of my head, but I never expected it in a major release in a theater.

The overall non-stop inventiveness of every aspect...the design, the fight choreography, the costumes, the characters, the script...it just blew my mind. I was captivated throughout...instead of "Holy crap, how did they do that?" it was "Holy crap, how did someone even think of that?". But it all worked...it wasn't just crazy crap thrown at the wall, it functioned perfectly.

Maybe it helped that I hadn't seen the others, but while it might not be the "best film" I've seen in years, it was certainly one of the most impressive experiences that I responded to the most.

In your case it probably was better that you didn't see the others. I can see how you really didn't need to know all his history to understand what was going on. The visions of his past were probably enough to let you inside his head. To me, this was a lot like the second movie, which also included an armed tanker being attacked trying to get precious cargo from a to b.

If you do go back and watch the others, might want to skip Thunderdome. For me it was a huge disappointment.

Also, @Nole Lou I also saw Ex Machina a couple of weeks ago and I think Fury Road was more entertaining. Ex Machina is definitely worth a watch though.

The new Mad Max Fury Road is exceptional. I actually have seen it more than once. While I enjoyed the first viewing, I picked up a lot more the subsequent time I went to the theater and appreciated a lot of the extra touches that I missed the first time around. Thank you George Miller for creating a big budget Hollywood movie that actually has some creativity and depth to it. They don't make them like this too much anymore.

I posted here that I saw the original Mad Max and was underwhelmed. I just saw the sequel on Sunday, and was again underwhelmed.

I want to be excited to see the new one, but it just ain't happening. Maybe redbox....

I posted here that I saw the original Mad Max and was underwhelmed. I just saw the sequel on Sunday, and was again underwhelmed.

I want to be excited to see the new one, but it just ain't happening. Maybe redbox....

Are you saying you saw the original series and was underwhelmed and that's why you don't want to see Fury Road? Cause that's like saying you saw Batman Returns and Batman & Robin but have no interest in seeing Batman Begins or the Dark Knight.

Are you saying you saw the original series and was underwhelmed and that's why you don't want to see Fury Road? Cause that's like saying you saw Batman Returns and Batman & Robin but have no interest in seeing Batman Begins or the Dark Knight.
I have to agree. I saw some of the final scene of the second movie a few days ago @mjpwooo and I was surprised how corny it is. The new one is WAY more intense.

Never saw the original Mad Max movies (and I think I had mentioned I didn't even know they were movies until a year ago) but went and saw Fury Road recently. Wow, what a movie.

Is there a back story in the old movies that explains things like the war boys, the mothers, Immortan Joex and just all the crazy stuff in general?

Never saw the original Mad Max movies (and I think I had mentioned I didn't even know they were movies until a year ago) but went and saw Fury Road recently. Wow, what a movie.

Is there a back story in the old movies that explains things like the war boys, the mothers, Immortan Joex and just all the crazy stuff in general?

Nope. It's all relatively new material for universe of Mad Max.

Some theories out there that the 4 "Towns" and those that control them - Gunsville, Guzzline Town, the Citadel and (even though it's not mentioned) Barter Town were all directly involved in the nuclear war that destroyed the world. (Immortan Joe has all of his general badges and stars and bars on his outfit, the fat politician looking guy, Bullet Farmer and his doling out of blind justice - all knew ahead of time what was happening and established these areas as safe havens and took control).

Another theory is that Mad Max, Immortan, the fat Politician and Bullet Farmer are all representations of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse.

To me, that was part of the charm...with so many action movies derived from comics now, the "universe" is so established and fleshed out, it's impossible for a movie to exist in a vacuum. Even non comic properties like Star Wars, Star Trek and even the Terminator are being fleshed out that way. For those of us that are not versed in the particular universe, the fan service is at best unappreciated, and at worst confusing. It restricts what the filmmakers can do narratively. For the initiated, everything is a referendum on whether what the film does passes muster in relation to the comic or continuity. You can definitely get a sense of the filmmakers having to "serve two masters."

I wasn't aware until reading that post that the Mad Max universe was NOT fleshed out. But I never got the feeling that the stuff that was happening was not "for me" as a viewer, and the "why the hell are they doing that?" stuff was joyful in it's randomness and weirdness...not frustrating like I was being left out of something.

To hear that there is no highly established continuity/universe makes perfect sense and it's refreshing. I love the freedom it gives them.

To me, that was part of the charm...with so many action movies derived from comics now, the "universe" is so established and fleshed out, it's impossible for a movie to exist in a vacuum. Even non comic properties like Star Wars, Star Trek and even the Terminator are being fleshed out that way. For those of us that are not versed in the particular universe, the fan service is at best unappreciated, and at worst confusing. It restricts what the filmmakers can do narratively. For the initiated, everything is a referendum on whether what the film does passes muster in relation to the comic or continuity. You can definitely get a sense of the filmmakers having to "serve two masters."

I wasn't aware until reading that post that the Mad Max universe was NOT fleshed out. But I never got the feeling that the stuff that was happening was not "for me" as a viewer, and the "why the hell are they doing that?" stuff was joyful in it's randomness and weirdness...not frustrating like I was being left out of something.

To hear that there is no highly established continuity/universe makes perfect sense and it's refreshing. I love the freedom it gives them.

I think the multi decade hiatus b/w Thunderdome and Fury Road was the best thing for the franchise, film, director and the stunt coordinators. A lot of the background stuff (the tattoo blood type for Hi Octane, the blood bank, the war boys, the multiple towns) were all written back in the late 80s but the film took this long to make. Had they made this film back then and we got Fury Road part 2, it would have had that pre established universe you're talking about.

Then again, there's a lot of continuity issues b/w Mad Max, Mad Max 2 Road Warrior and Thunderdome so part of me thinks it's just the nature of this world/universe George Miller created.

I went and saw Mad Max on Saturday and wanted add my thoughts. Like Lou said, I was blown away watching it. The scope and expanse of the scenery really did a good job of making you feel their isolation and despair. I really liked knowing that most of what I saw was actual action and stunts, and not purely CGI. There were truly odd/unique characters that someone had to think up and draw, then create - the person doing that thinking may have some serious issues.

I took the 11 3/4 year old NDallasDaughter to see it. Her thoughts are contained in the below spoiler button (not even sure if they need to be, but better safe than sorry), but overall she enjoyed the movie - although she said it isn't one she'd want to watch over and over again:

The kid enjoyed the movie, but it turns out that a 2-hour seemingly non-stop car chase/battle was a little long for an 11 year old girl. She said she was really into it for the first hour, but after that it started to kind of wear on her.

I feel like some of the weird "mother's milk" providers were a little weird for her to see, as was the "dwarf brother" - as indicated by the weird looks the kid was shooting me during those scenes.

I went and saw Mad Max on Saturday and wanted add my thoughts. Like Lou said, I was blown away watching it. The scope and expanse of the scenery really did a good job of making you feel their isolation and despair. I really liked knowing that most of what I saw was actual action and stunts, and not purely CGI. There were truly odd/unique characters that someone had to think up and draw, then create - the person doing that thinking may have some serious issues.

While watching the movie I thought "there's no effin' way people didn't die making the stunts for this movie".

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Saw it for the third time today; I can't get enough of it. Then I read Tom Hardy has signed up for 2 more!
Thus, my new avatar, which is also now my wallpaper. I love Guitar Boy.

Saw it for the third time today; I can't get enough of it. Then I read Tom Hardy has signed up for 2 more!
Thus, my new avatar, which is also now my wallpaper. I love Guitar Boy.

Guitar boy's name is Coma-Doof Warrior, he's married to or dating the red head from the film who happens to be Elvis Pressley's granddaughter. I think his stage name is iOTA or something, a real heavy metal guitarist.

While watching the movie I thought "there's no effin' way people didn't die making the stunts for this movie".

The funny thing is...even if they DID cgi the stunts, or aspects of the stunts...the fact that they are conceived as plausible accomplishes the same affect...that you are seeing something "real."

Whereas if you blow up the Hoover Dam or Golden Gate Bridge on screen...by default you know it's fake.

I hope that we see more of that trend...not necessarily totally CGI-free action, but using a combination of live action stunts, with CGI to enhance the setting, and make it safer and cheaper. Rather than using CGI to create an entire street of skyscrapers that crumble to dust while a guy jumps from a flagpole to a helicopter while being chased by a dragon.

Reactions: Rhino_nole
Guitar boy's name is Coma-Doof Warrior, he's married to or dating the red head from the film who happens to be Elvis Pressley's granddaughter. I think his stage name is iOTA or something, a real heavy metal guitarist.
Are you sure about him dating a woman? iOTA's Wiki page says that he's openly gay?

And apparently he's an Emmitt Smith fan - I kinda like this guy!

Yeah, that's not accurate. She is married, but to a stuntman who has a few movie parts, one was Fury Road though.

So, I just watched this via Redbox today. Stunts very good. But stunts only don't make a movie for me. I don't appreciate this vision of the world; Max is about as uncaptivating a main character as there can be (assume I have NOT seen the original or 2nd),doesn't talk, but grunts etc.

Just doesn't do it for me. Wish it did, but I probably won't see the next two.

So, I just watched this via Redbox today. Stunts very good. But stunts only don't make a movie for me. I don't appreciate this vision of the world; Max is about as uncaptivating a main character as there can be (assume I have NOT seen the original or 2nd),doesn't talk, but grunts etc.

Just doesn't do it for me. Wish it did, but I probably won't see the next two.

Remember this is set in between Road Warrior where everything left in the world has been taken from him and Thunderdome where he's recovered some sanity. So this is basically Max at his least sane.

Remember this is set in between Road Warrior where everything left in the world has been taken from him and Thunderdome where he's recovered some sanity. So this is basically Max at his least sane.

Max isn't a leading character either. He's a force of nature that radically alters the lives of those around him.

He's not John McLain, he's an earthquake that swallows you whole and even if you're spared, your life is changed.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT