ADVERTISEMENT

Marinating Chicken Wings

SoProudNole

Contributor
Jan 19, 2004
So these things have been in the refrigerator marinating since Monday. It's now Friday.. Is it still OK to cook them on the grill and chow down later today? Or should they be tossed?

How do they look and smell? I would say that it's most likely OK to grill but you may not want to risk it with chicken (you can always just buy fresh wings and marinade them quickly). Just overcook them if you decide to grill them.

Doesn't marinade help it last longer or is that just a myth? I guess it might depend on the marinade. I know some marinades actually "cook" meat over time.

Didn't really think about that / have never heard that. I suppose salt, vinegar, red wine might have some type of inhibiting process, but its efficacy?
A related question to the OP would be how close to the expiration date was the chicken when he started marinating it.

To me, I'd rather start over than spend my weekend in the outhouse.

Raw chicken in the frig for five days? That would be a crappy way to start the long weekend. Start over. Even the federal government says you're 3 days over the limit.

http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/storagetimes.html

This doesn't make sense to me. Raw chicken sits in the grocery store cooler for days, then you bring it home and put it in your fridge for a few more days. What is the gov't basing the 1-2 day rule on?

Just make them really spicy. That way you won't know the exact reason you spend the weekend on the crapper.

Reactions: 321Nole
I don't think they will hurt you. I just think the marinade has probably rendered the meat into something that won't be enjoyable to eat. I've marinaded them for 24 hour before and wasn't happy with them.

Speaking of aftermath, I used to love the Lawry's marinades for chicken wings but I destroyed the bathroom the next day every time. Dry rub with jerk seasoning is the go-to now.

Another vote for chuck 'em. Less'n you feel like a daredevil; then eat em and keep us posted.

I'm leaning towards cooking them up and letting it ride.....................

1e6.jpg

The only way you'll know if they're good is to eat them.

Truthfully they'd probably be fine especially if cooked through. In Big parts of Europe and Africa the chicken isn't kept refrigerated at least all of the time and is not usually cooked well all the way through like most Americans, including me, like.

But having said that, unlike beef, elk, bison, kangaroo, SOME pork products and a few other red meats, aged chicken is not a flavor most of us outside of Asia and Africa like. So it would probably have off flavors. Plus, depending upon how much acid is in the marinade it might have "cooked" the chicken like ceviche and made it tough anyways.

So...probably not killing you. But probably not good. I'd chuck it.

Doesn't it somewhat depend on the amount of salt in the marinade? I know with the dry rub I use on wings I grill/smoke the salt draws out the moisture ( which makes the skin crispier) but also preserves them.

OK, final report........from the toilet.

Just kidding. The marinade I'd fixed was:

Thai Chili Sauce
Tamari
Garlic
Pure Maple Syrup
Lime Juice
Pepper

The wings didn't make me ill. But they weren't very good. They were kind of mealy when I bit into them. Lesson learned.

Reactions: NoleManDan17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT