ADVERTISEMENT

Marlins situation isn’t good

It was a great wake up call for MLB. I’d be a lot more worried if 5 teams had small outbreaks than 1 team completely screwing up. MLB will stay the course, as they should.

The people being paid millions are ignoring what they’re supposed to do. What do you think college kids will do?

Depends on the program. Norvell seems to be Type A and will be meticulous in knowing where his players are at any given moment while in Tallahassee. I suspect that he will strictly enforce curfews, etc.

But then there are coaches like Taggart...

Depends on the program. Norvell seems to be Type A and will be meticulous in knowing where his players are at any given moment while in Tallahassee. I suspect that he will strictly enforce curfews, etc.

But then there are coaches like Taggart...
Not going to be possible to monitor exactly where 85 kids plus walk ons plus random staff are all nights of the week.

The people being paid millions are ignoring what they’re supposed to do. What do you think college kids will do?
Maybe they will follow the rules, so that they can play, with the hopes of becoming millionaires.

I love the "absolute" answers that so many give about whether there will be or will not be a season.

At this point, no one knows if a season will be played or not...
I'm glad you love them so much.

Maybe they will follow the rules, so that they can play, with the hopes of becoming millionaires.
Not going to happen. College kids are going to go to house parties at a minimum.

Our actual stars probably will hit random walk on ain’t going to likely stay in a bubble.

As much as I hate to see it, I think the Marlins cases serve as a harsh reality that College Football and NFL are doomed to fail this fall.

Not going to happen. College kids are going to go to house parties at a minimum.

Our actual stars probably will hit random walk on ain’t going to likely stay in a bubble.
I understand your point. But the NCAA testing protocols for football players are far more strict than FSU's policy for the general student population. Students are not required to be tested before heading to campus, and regular testing is not required during the semester (unless you have symptoms or known contact with an infected person). How will that be monitored for the general population in comparison to the team? If a house party is a threat to the team getting infected with the known repercussions that it will create, the regular student population will have a more serious issue.

I always pushed back on the notion that if there are no students on campus, then football can't be played. Yes it looks optically weird, and it (further) cheapens the lie of the student athlete, but if we are relying on "science", then there is nothing wrong with football being played without the students being there. To not play football in that environment is a decision based on other factors besides science and safety.

And house parties are not limited to students on campus. The NFL is going to play. Are all the fans going to watch the games alone in their empty man caves? Same for college.

Having said all that, where does that put us?

People are not acting responsibly. Football is attempting to enforce responsibility and it should be encouraged to proceed, at least as an example for others to learn.

I understand your point. But the NCAA testing protocols for football players are far more strict than FSU's policy for the general student population. Students are not required to be tested before heading to campus, and regular testing is not required during the semester (unless you have symptoms or known contact with an infected person). How will that be monitored for the general population in comparison to the team? If a house party is a threat to the team getting infected with the known repercussions that it will create, the regular student population will have a more serious issue.

I always pushed back on the notion that if there are no students on campus, then football can't be played. Yes it looks optically weird, and it (further) cheapens the lie of the student athlete, but if we are relying on "science", then there is nothing wrong with football being played without the students being there. To not play football in that environment is a decision based on other factors besides science and safety.

And house parties are not limited to students on campus. The NFL is going to play. Are all the fans going to watch the games alone in their empty man caves? Same for college.

People are not acting responsibly. Football is attempting to enforce responsibility and it should be encouraged to proceed, at least as an example for others to learn.

It all comes down to the SEC. I think they will play no matter what the covid situation is at the time. unless governors shut them down.

You may be right that we won't have a season, but you do not know definitively at this point.
No one knows definitely but what we are learning from the Marlins is that players must be quarantined to avoid cancellations or suspended games ala the NBA which still is not foolproof. What is the plan for the NCAA or these schools to quarantine these young men? There is none which unfortunately will lead to massive spreading of the virus. Spreading = Suspended games = Cancelations IMO

No one knows definitely but what we are learning from the Marlins is that players must be quarantined to avoid cancellations or suspended games ala the NBA which still is not foolproof. What is the plan for the NCAA or these schools to quarantine these young men? There is none which unfortunately will lead to massive spreading of the virus. Spreading = Suspended games = Cancelations IMO

I agree about the NCAA and think this is just another example of the lack of leadership, forward thinking, and planning from them.

We need a CFB commissioner or better yet a board of directors with 1 appointed member per conference.

As for Marlins, that apparently was due to grown men not caring and not following the MLB protocols.

This is surely a challenge, so I give the NCAA a little leeway, but then again, the NCAA is almost never right on anything.

It is possible, but very difficult. But ok.
Yes it's possible if you have people watching everyone one of the players at all times, which FSU is not capable of doing.. They're going to go out. It's 18 year olds. It's going to happen on every campus once everyone is back and there are going to be positives and players missing games or games potentially being cancelled/moved. Inevitable IMO.

Reactions: pcolanole07

I don't think they're going to cancel the season but I think we are going to see important players missing time and games being cancelled.

That is exactly it! Which make it tough to contract in a normal public setting unless a crowded waiting room or lobby that you sit next to someone or are in someone’s house who is effected. You have to have exposure in an indoors setting around someone who is shedding enough virus. Unless, you have a weak immune system then the amount of virus can be smaller that your body takes in to get over run by the virus.

Also, I have friends who’s entire household did not get the virus and the mom had symptoms and tested positive. Symptoms were cold like and lasted a week. Both kids and husband never got it and lived in the same house lol.

My neighbor gets tested every week and she revived a positive test. No symptoms, went back the following day, received a negative test. Then called for a rapid test so she could go back to work. The Health Department in Tampa told her they won’t do the rapid test bc there is NO such thing as a false positive and it’s a waste of resources. She has to assume infected. She decided to wait a few days to get the blood prick test which shows if virus is active and if you’ve had the virus. She tested negative!!!

This is a huge cluster F! Everything from the idiots testing to the political agendas.

Time to move on and play sports, get our economy and kids back to normal.

I have been on the train for testing for symptoms only. The rest is just a vain attempt at tracing, which unless you have a very small case load becomes impossible to accomplish. Creating tracing for asymptomatic people is an experiment that can go down as a failure.

Reactions: CocoaNoles
Yes it's possible if you have people watching everyone one of the players at all times, which FSU is not capable of doing.. They're going to go out. It's 18 year olds. It's going to happen on every campus once everyone is back and there are going to be positives and players missing games or games potentially being cancelled/moved. Inevitable IMO.

With a tightship program (looks like that is what Norvell prefers), then supervision isn't something that falls to just the coaches / staff, as the players become "leaders" and hold each other accountable as well.

Jimbo had this for a while for us (2011-2013) timeframe where the Joyner's, Telvin's, etc. of the team would be the leaders that the program needed.

But yes, this is very difficult to manage, and surely we will see positive tests moving forward, but will stay out of any discussion about COVID as my viewpoints probably don't align with many others, and want to respect Gene's request to limit or prohibit conversation on it.

I have been on the train for testing for symptoms only. The rest is just a vain attempt at tracing, which unless you have a very small case load becomes impossible to accomplish. Creating tracing for asymptomatic people is an experiment that can go down as a failure.

I think the contract tracing might not be the only reason they are having asymptomatic folks get tested... you can't have a huge spike in cases if you sit back and test only folks who are sick with the disease.

GO NOLES!!!

Reactions: fsufool
It has been fun to see all the schedules and posturing, but seeing what is happening in MLB, there is now no chance college football happens without a medical miracle of a drug to curb deaths.

NFL can still happen if they go the bubble route like the NBA... however that is only for 6 weeks and not 6 months. I think the NFL will shorten the schedule and go to a bubble if they want it to work.

See you all next year with a vaccine in play. I wish we could keep the new conference only schedule for next year.

My wife and I signed up this morning for the clinical trials on the new Modera vaccine. If we're accepted I'll keep everyone updated.
What our leadership did to fast track these are awesome. Hope it works.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT