ADVERTISEMENT

Mayweather Vs. Paquiao

DanC78

Veteran Seminole Insider
Aug 29, 2003
Who do think will win?
Who do want to win?

I don't know much about boxing, but I was told Manny throws 2x the amount of punches in a fight than Floyd typically will throw.

So, if it comes to points. I guess that would be advantage Manny???

Nonetheless, I'm routing for Manny! My wife is 1/2 Filipino and my son is 1/4 Filipino and Manny is a better human being in general....IMO!

Let's go PacMan!

What time is the fight? I'm driving down to Miami tonight, I wonder if it will be on Sirius.

I never knew much about Manny but after reading up I see he is quite an accomplished man. Its good to see a Filipino on the world stage!

I didn't watch it, but I heard the fight was terrible

It was a typical Mayweather fight. Mayweather running away from the opponent and throwing counter punches that land more often than the opponent who had to run after him.

So yeah, pretty boring. And not unexpected. I would ask for my $20 back but it's my fault for assuming Mayweather would ever be a watchable fighter.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
Watched online. Floyd ran, Manny couldn't hit. Nobody hurt.

tumblr_nnrc1yd2th1r88u00o1_400.gif

CEDsIw6UgAA5CHk.jpg

Reactions: Vizike Is Back!
Give me Hagler/Hearns from the mid 80s. Not an aerobics class. But I guess these events will continue as long as people fork over ridiculous cash to watch it.

Reactions: rhurner
Give me Hagler/Hearns from the mid 80s. Not an aerobics class. But I guess these events will continue as long as people fork over ridiculous cash to watch it.

This will be the last time. There is not another fight that is worth the money. Only thing I'd buy going forward is UFC.

It was a typical Mayweather fight. Mayweather running away from the opponent and throwing counter punches that land more often than the opponent who had to run after him.

So yeah, pretty boring. And not unexpected. I would ask for my $20 back but it's my fault for assuming Mayweather would ever be a watchable fighter.

It's called boxing...not street fighting. If you want to watch fighters not back down and fight with no technique there are plenty of videos on YouTube. If you want to watch BOXING Mayweather is currently the best at it.

Reactions: peezy28
It's called boxing...not street fighting. If you want to watch fighters not back down and fight with no technique there are plenty of videos on YouTube. If you want to watch BOXING Mayweather is currently the best at it.

The only thing I could have guaranteed after this fight, is that a bunch of people would be complaining about a boring fight.

This was more about the stuff surrounding the event, than the actual event. Sort of like the super bowl is more about the parties and build up than the actual game.

Other professional boxers are weighing in with their disapproval of the aerobics workout that was staged last evening. If that is "the best," then the sport is doomed.

If anyone bought the fight thinking Floyd was going turn this into a street brawl, then you have no right to complain.

Styles make fights and Floyd's style is to not get hit.

Alverez-Kirlkland will be a 100X better fight.

As for the "end of boxing" scenarios, MMA isn't getting $400 million for one fight.

Reactions: peezy28
Being technically proficient and boring are not mutually exclusive.

Other professional boxers are weighing in with their disapproval of the aerobics workout that was staged last evening. If that is "the best," then the sport is doomed.

That "aerobics workout" got Floyd a 50 punch advantage over Manny. If boxing wants to put in a "no circular movement" rule they are welcome to.

Until then, I could have sworn movement and hitting your opponent more than he hits you is the objective. Just because we have a society that values streetfighting over the art of boxing now doesn't mean Mayweather was running...it means he fights smart and defensively. "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!"

Just curious, did you ever see Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, Tyson, Holyfield or Riddick Jones box? What we witnessed last night is no where near what boxing once was.

He's a "great" boxer, but so boring to watch I don't even go to bars to see his fights. Not worth the $20 cover.

Some of you are right, it's called boxing. That's why I wish the boxers would stop saying things like "I'm the one who has to fight" or "I won the fight" and people stop calling them fighters. It's not a fight. I see more entertaining fights in the backyard between my little nieces.

Why anyone would want to pay to see 2 guys who are smaller than Justin Bieber "box" is beyond me. Even when they landed punches it didn't really matter. It's a competition of who can dodge the most punches and land the highest % of love taps. People spend more time making fun of it than they do watching it or taking it seriously.

Glad I didn't drop $100 on the pay per view. I thought about it but I figured I would fall asleep half way through.

He's a "great" boxer, but so boring to watch I don't even go to bars to see his fights. Not worth the $20 cover.

That's the problem with sports in general. Football teams who play great defense and run the ball but don't air it all over the field are called boring but win. NBA teams, if any, who could hold teams to 60 and win by 1 consistently would be boring. Baseball teams that could win 2-1 every game would be boring.

Boxing, like any other sport, is not flashy when you rely on defense. But it is an art...and Mayweather has mastered it. I don't like the guy but credit where its due. Great defense, while boring, usually wins.

He is the modern day Sugar Ray Leonard. Dance, throw a flurry at the start and end of the round, dance and run the rest of the time.

It was worth every penny. I enjoyed the pre fight fight talk, the intros (Jimmy kimmel and the burger king, classic) and the fight itself.

No other place than a dying sport can you get away with banning prominent female analyst for speaking out about your capstone being a horrible member of society.

I know I'm in the minority but I like watching Mayweather fight. I'm not a huge boxing fan and I really don't like him as a person but I respect his skill. Knockouts are great but watching him work is amazing. Everyone knows what he is going to do yet no one has been able to stop him.

Casual boxing fans just want to be entertained by brawlers. Reminds me of the baseball fans who get their panties in a wad when people call the sport slow and boring. You have to appreciate Mayweather's skill the same way you would a four hour 1-0 pitchers' duel.

You have to appreciate Mayweather's skill the same way you would a four hour 1-0 pitchers' duel.

So appreciate it by changing the channel. Got it.

There's nothing "purer" about running around and hiding behind your gloves than boxers who actually are trying to score points. In MMA you can't just run around surrendering the ring or else you would actually lose due to the points assigned to ring control. So Mayweather would have lost if there was MMA style scoring assigned to the fight. That's just one reason I like MMA better than boxing.

I will admit there is a similar boring style in MMA that I hate just like I hate Mayweather's "style". It's called lay and pray, but at least it's somewhat offensive in nature rather than surrendering the ring and the flow to your opponent completely. That's where a superior wrestler just manhandles the opponent and keeps him trapped underneath his weight but makes no real attempts to finish the fight through strikes, chokes or other holds. That kind of boring fight is exactly what Mayweather is in boxing. Sure he's displaying superior technique just like the lay and prayers but it makes for a horrifically awful show.

ADVERTISEMENT