ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Antitrust exemption?

1batman

Star Player
Sep 24, 2002
In layman‘s terms, can anyone explain to me what legally this means for major league baseball?

1915 Supreme Court ruling stated mlb/baseball was not “interstate commerce” and therefore not subject to the Sherman antitrust act.

The antitrust exemption empowers the league and its clubs to conspire in ways that might otherwise run afoul of antitrust law. The current version of the exemption allows caps on minor league players’ salaries (also known as wage fixing), denial of clubs opportunities to move to larger markets, and pooling of intellectual property rights, all without worry of antitrust litigation.

https://www.sportico.com/law/analysis/2021/mlb-antitrust-exemption-1234626810/

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.....Doesn’t make sense to me that baseball is treated differently than other professional sports.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.....Doesn’t make sense to me that baseball is treated differently than other professional sports.
One of the Supreme Court Justices, Justice Black, was in love with baseball. He had a lot to do with the outcome of the decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT