ADVERTISEMENT

MLS Season and City Guide

GwinnettNole

Seminole Insider
Sep 4, 2001
What kind of soccer vibe does each city that has an MLS team have?

Interesting read-- click the link-- after the fold you can see "City Guides" and click on a particular city.
The guide breaks down the Soccer Culture, Where to Play, Soccer Bars, tailgating, etc.... pretty interesting.

Soccer done right most resembles college football fan experiences (tailgating, atmosphere, etc).

Looking forward to Atlanta being there in two years
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/6 4:22 PM by GwinnettNole

MLS Season and City Guide

Good post, the rumor is the Revs are trying to get a stadium built somewhere is Boston hearing Revere or South Boston. It would be a great boost for the city and the team. Much easier access and atmosphere than Gillette.

One match in, and Jozy Altidore has already proven that a) he's still USA's best striker, and B) there's still a pretty big gap of talent between the MLS and the EPL

Looking forward to seeing what Kaka and Orlando City can do tonight. I'm already anti-NYCFC and they haven't even officially played a match yet!

A little know fact (once again, in my best Cliff Clavin voice), this guy, Manch was a finalist in the "name the team" contest back in 1995. I submitted the name the New England Six, as in six states in New England. They wanted New England listed as the team location and not Boston, making the team a regional team, attracting fans from all six NE states. The nickname "Six", I guess, was to close to the NBA's 76'ers.

I have been to Foxborough about 10 times for soccer matches, 6 of them World Cup matches in 1994. Most passionate fans where the Argentinians, but easily the best fans were the Italians. I saw Inter and AC Milan play a summer tour game there in the 2009 World Football Challenge. What an incredible atmosphere!!!

I have been to only one Revs game, and that was against Man United in the summer of 2011, as part of United's summer US tour and it was part of the 2011 World Football Challenge. I would say it was about 80% United fans. We were actually planning on going to see United and Barca play in Landover, but then the Revolution game was scheduled in Foxborough. Former Liverpool player(s) Steve Nicol was managing the Revs and Mikey Owen scored for United.

I spent a good part of the game explaining the way the Europeans play their seasons and the various cups and competitions. I don't follow the MLS or the Revs as much as I'd like, but with every new season, I find that I am following both more and more. What I enjoyed, is that the kids, aged 8-14 were having a blast supporting New England.

The current NE roster only has 4 non-US players on the roster, which is relatively low, IMO. In comparison, the LA Galaxy currently have 10 foreigners on their roster and San Jose has 11 foreigners, so I think the Revolution lack, big time in that area.

Also, I watched a Revolution 2015 preview the other day, and they stated that the Revolution are the only team from the original 10 teams to have every match televised, that is an incredible feat!
Originally posted by fsUTampa:

I'm already anti-NYCFC and they haven't even officially played a match yet!
Me too, a) they're from NY. b) They are owned by the NY Yankees and Manchester City. c) Season tickets holders got screwed when Lampard extended his stay with MCFC d) NYCFC gets Lampard and David Villa as their designated players and the Revolution never get any big Euro name DP's.

Oh well, the Revs open their season tonight on the road against former Rev great Clint Dempsey and 43,000 crazed Sounder fans.

Nice for Orlando City to get the draw today! I never really adopted a team so I am all in with Orlando. Easily the home team for me, Kaka the hero today!

Awesome game in Orlando yesterday. I was there, in the supporters section. I am a member of the Ruckus, orlando city supporters group, and it was such a good time. Great tailgate! Donation only food, including beer at the ruckus tailgate! recommend joining if you are a fan. It's $25 and includes a shirt.

I loved finally watching us on the field. It was a great game to watch although there's a ton of work that needs to take place. Disappointed in Collin continuing to play out of control, the flopping in the penalty box needs to pull back (Although I thought the second yellow was way too picky), and Rivas needs to learn to stay onside.

I don't see how you can say there were no shots, Orlando took 15 (Although I think only 8 were on goal) and Mix's goal for NYCFC was beautiful, although I hated to see it there. He should have saved that one for US action.

ADVERTISEMENT