ADVERTISEMENT

Most hated sports team in America

Who is the most despised team in America?

• New England Patriots

Votes: 51 38.6%
  • Duke Basketball

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Florida State Football

Votes: 25 18.9%
  • New York Yankees

Votes: 47 35.6%

• Total voters

NYCNole

Star Player
Apr 1, 2002
After seeing the public backlash towards Tom Brady & FSU over the past few weeks, I am wondering which team is most despised. Vote & comment.

At the current time, I think FSU is on par with the Pats.

Hmm well sadly right now, it's probably us thanks to the media fabricated sh!tstorm.

I'm okay with that as long as it doesn't impact our recruiting (which, I think we maybe starting to see).

FSU football isn't even in the same conversation as the Yankees, Duke Basketball or Notre Dame Football. All are much more "hated" nationwide than the Noles.

Reactions: pauldNole
I'm okay with that as long as it doesn't impact our recruiting (which, I think we maybe starting to see).

Lost probably the best player that was verbally committed yesterday. I trust Jimbo but the Staff has an uphill battle right now.

Dallas Cowboys are NOT America's team. They belong in that poll before FSU does. So does Notre Dame.

Reactions: Bartdog
FSU football isn't even in the same conversation as the Yankees, Duke Basketball or Notre Dame Football. All are much more "hated" nationwide than the Noles.

This. Though I thought recently I heard the Patriots, Brady & Belicheat are all considered the most hated in the NFL within their respective categories (team, player, coach).

Dallas Cowboys are NOT America's team. They belong in that poll before FSU does. So does Notre Dame.
ND & Cowboys are not in my poll for a reason, neither has been relevant in terms of championships for over 20+ years.

People in their teens, 20's & early 30's look at ND & Cowboys as just another team b/c they've accomplished nothing.

Perhaps true in the early-mid 90s and most of the 80s.
However now, the cowboys are feckless under the comical antics of tony romo and the irish were last seen getting their asses stomped by bama as brent musburger verbally fellated their QBs girlfriend for the better part of 3 hours.

Those teams are punchlines in 2015, not hated. You hate that which you perceive to be evil or unfair, which is why FSU and the Pats prob top that list (my fav college team and NFL team [perhaps 2nd since jaboo is now a buc]).

I don't think we're truly in the conversation of most-hated. Yes, we've gotten some bad press the last few years - but if we go 9-3 this year we'll be completely forgotten in the minds of the average sports fan. To some extent, I feel the same way with the Pats. They are a prime target right now because they've been the NFL's top team for the last 10-15 years - but even with them, they were off the radar when they had a few years of early playoff exits.

If you're going just on current feelings, or that of the younger crowd (20-30 year olds), you could probably make a strong case for the Red Sox being more hated than the yanks - largely because Boston's been more successful over the last decade.

True hatred of a franchise doesn't go away just because the team slips for a few years. It's reserved for teams whose rosters and fanbase is full of dirtbags. It's reserved for teams like the yankmees, cowboys, lakers, 'canes, and goiters.

Reactions: dmm5157
I don't think we're truly in the conversation of most-hated. Yes, we've gotten some bad press the last few years - but if we go 9-3 this year we'll be completely forgotten in the minds of the average sports fan. To some extent, I feel the same way with the Pats. They are a prime target right now because they've been the NFL's top team for the last 10-15 years - but even with them, they were off the radar when they had a few years of early playoff exits.

If you're going just on current feelings, or that of the younger crowd (20-30 year olds), you could probably make a strong case for the Red Sox being more hated than the yanks - largely because Boston's been more successful over the last decade.

True hatred of a franchise doesn't go away just because the team slips for a few years. It's reserved for teams whose rosters and fanbase is full of dirtbags. It's reserved for teams like the yankmees, cowboys, lakers, 'canes, and goiters.
IMO hatred is an immediate feeling - making it possible to have a particular team be the most hated in America one year and totally forgotten the next (see Lebron's Miami Heat).

Historically based on their quality and on/off field antics at that point in time, the goaters and canes have alternated atop my list of most hated rival.

I'll agree that some teams are just historically loathed, you mentioned them pretty well. But if you go to a college football fan today and ask "what team do you hate the most", after filtering out their rivals, I think you'll hear our name come up more than any other.

I could easily be wrong though, obviously I hope I am.

ND & Cowboys are not in my poll for a reason, neither has been relevant in terms of championships for over 20+ years.

People in their teens, 20's & early 30's look at ND & Cowboys as just another team b/c they've accomplished nothing.
This is exactly what makes them more hated by the masses. They are irrelevant in terms of competing for championships yet consistently shoved down everyone's throats based on their storied history. This is especially true with Notre Dame Football and the Yankees.

Similar to what pissed off so many about Timmy Teabag. He did nothing in the NFL but was held in the same regard as Brady/Manning/etc.

Reactions: dmm5157
Year in and out I think it's the Yankees and Duke basketball. Duke basketball is hated more than any other college program and I'm not sure it's that close. ND football would be comparable but they haven't won anything recently and haven't had a polarizing coach like Coach K, who is the most hated coach in college sports.

I dont think Coach K is the most hated coach. At all. He's the most respected by his peers and by all the media. Fans hate him because they are jealous of his success. Calipari to me is the most hated in college basketball.

As far as college football I think the most hated are Meyer, Saban and Jimbo.

Jimbo has every fanbase thinking he is the sleaziest, most corrupt coach and so doesnt the major media including ESPN, CBS and FOX.

Reactions: NYCNole
I dont think Coach K is the most hated coach. At all. He's the most respected by his peers and by all the media. Fans hate him because they are jealous of his success. Calipari to me is the most hated in college basketball.

Jimbo has every fanbase thinking he is the sleaziest, most corrupt coach and so doesnt the major media including ESPN, CBS and FOX.

Agree 100%, Cal is the most hated due to his tactics & rescinded Final Fours. K is disliked due to five national titles, gold medals & a ridiculous amount of FF's. IMO, general public views Jimbo like Cal.

Reactions: Nolebra Kai
cheating is part of their culture. it didn't start with Belicheck.

snowplow-game_nfl_patriots2-dolphins0_dec-1982_foxborough-mass_mark-henderson_d.gif

Reactions: FSUTribe76

Are we not talking about fans? I generally don't think the media hates coaches or teams. People don't like UK bball but they really can't stand Duke and everything Duke stands for.

What exactly does Duke stand for that is bad? Being the most consistent and successful team the last 30 years while doing it with good guys and having no NCAA violations?

The media has been vicious with Jimbo ever since Jameis wasnt suspended or kicked off due to the rape accusation.

Yea, I think that in general most fans dont like Coach K and his peers all have a lot of respect for him. He seems like a good guy and is obviously a great coach. I just cant stand in on the court antics. He complains about every call when Duke it is obvious to every other team that there is a bias in favor of Duke. He can scream, curse and yell at an official and not even a warning. If Leonard even makes a stink eye at an official he gets a warning. My hate is more toward the ACC officiating than Coach K. Your right, Coach Cal is far and away the most hated.

Huh....

Love the Noles......

Lifelong Yankee fan....

After the Noles....love me some Duke Basketball...

Respect the Pats....(always love a winner)...even though i was born in NY.

Does that make me a bad guy......I hope so...
I love it that the Noles are hated....makes it more fun to have them as your team...People only hate a winner...

no one hates the....
Brewers
Rangers
Wizards
Vandy
Iowa State
ect

The common thread linking ALL of these "hated" teams was that they are, or were, perennial winners. Every listed team dominates, or has dominated, their sport.

The Noles were lovable and loved by non-Noles until Bowden turned them into a dynasty, which resulted in our arrogance. Remember the timing of the emergence of the "Beating you 'cause we can" tshirts?

Not a team, but you can easily include Jeff Gordon to that most hated list. No one was hated more on Sunday when he was winning all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT