ADVERTISEMENT

Moving Back to Tallahassee

bnoles

Contributor
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I lived in Tallahassee back in 1999, moving back again soon. Want to live on the North side of town between Killearn and Golden Eagle. Any recommendations for good neighborhoods to look at? Thank you in advance.

Welcome back. I am no real estate agent, but maybe you need one. Lots of houses in that area. Zillow is a cool app to check.

All depends on your budget. Bull Run is between both and is newer construction. Foxcroft also in between but is older more established neighborhoods.

Also check out Killearn Lakes. Same plantation as Golden Eagle but a little less pricey. Older more established neighborhood.

Only move to Killearn Lakes if you wanna be with a bunch of rich stuck up dick heads who think they're better than everyone. And only live there if you want your kids going to the same schools as the kids who think they're better than everyone cause they get it from their parents.

Only move to Killearn Lakes if you wanna be with a bunch of rich stuck up dick heads who think they're better than everyone. And only live there if you want your kids going to the same schools as the kids who think they're better than everyone cause they get it from their parents.

Sounds like somebody has a massive inferiority complex.

Sounds like somebody has a massive inferiority complex.
He's a poor. Which is fine, as I am as well. The difference is, I'm not butthurt like he is, nor am I love with Casey Anthony like he is.

As for the area, it is a nice area with a lot of different options. I'd recommend using an agent to help.

Wow, you have issues. The vast majority of people live in killearn area. There are houses of all sizes and prices. The school district is top notch. Sorry you see it as you do.

Wow, you have issues. The vast majority of people live in killearn area. There are houses of all sizes and prices. The school district is top notch. Sorry you see it as you do.
I've seen the workings from the inside of the school district there. The reason the schools are good is because the parents work with their kids at home or have the money for tutoring if their kid isn't performing up to standard. I've seen some of the most disturbing things I have ever seen at a school at the elementary school in the area. If I had a kid, I would chose schools such as Bond Elementary, Ruediger Elementary, or any of the other schools in the less successful areas economically than the elementary school that schould remain nameless. Everything that is wrong with America's education system will be seen in that school. Not sure if the principal is the same there as when I was in that school but if so steer clear.

I live in Ox Bottom Manor and love it, quiet, lots of younger families because the elementary school (Hawks Rise) is in the neighborhood.
Bull Run is nice, newer houses, but the lot sizes are too small for my liking.
Killearn Lakes is nice and a wide variety of house prices.

I lived in Tallahassee back in 1999, moving back again soon. Want to live on the North side of town between Killearn and Golden Eagle. Any recommendations for good neighborhoods to look at? Thank you in advance.

All depends on your likes and dislikes. I'm not a fan of suburbs and having to drive everywhere. We've owned four different places in midtown and I would not want to live anywhere else. We can walk to the grocery store, a dozen restaurants, five or six places to get a beer, etc. Last Saturday, we walked to Food Glorious Food for brunch, walked back to the Tallahassee Theatre for a play, and then hit Whole Foods before walking two blocks home. Killearn is fine for many folks but just not my cup of tea.

Depends on your age and kids ages IMO. Northeast is getting a new name for the kids that do the most drugs. East side of town is where most of the younger white collar professionals are living these days. I graduated 2002 and almost all of our friends in the same age have migrated out to the east side. With that said I would look along the whole Bannerman through Chaires between Buck lake all the way to Meridian. Plenty of neighborhoods to pick from in all price ranges, some newer some older, some with acreage some without. All with have pluses and minuses.

I live in Ox Bottom Manor and love it, quiet, lots of younger families because the elementary school (Hawks Rise) is in the neighborhood.
Bull Run is nice, newer houses, but the lot sizes are too small for my liking.
Killearn Lakes is nice and a wide variety of house prices.

I live in Summerbrooke, which is next door to Ox Bottom Manor. Both are very good neighborhoods.

If you move to Killearn Lakes, you can only drink micro-brews and wear those khaki shorts what have designs of lobsters or anchors or skulls/crossbones stitched in.

That's all I could come up with.

I'm laughing out loud at these remarks about Killearn Lakes. I was the original on-site Realtor for KPI (Killearn Properties Inc.) back in the 70's! (what was amazing is the fact that the state gave a ten year old like me a license...seriously I was only about 23) The place was so heavily wooded and at the time maybe 30-35 houses were up, including ours. What a difference 40 years makes.

More deer and definitely more snakes than people at the time. I had the key to the back lakes and Kinhega Lodge and we went fishing sometimes after work in those lakes that were full of bass. We never went without a gun because of the alligators and moccasins. I sold a whole bunch of lots in there to people from up north in places like Cleveland - we won't go into the nasty business of selling land in Florida sight unseen, which I think they've sort of done away with, but regardless those lots were going for anywhere from $3600-$4400 at the time and by the 80's - after I was long gone - they were selling in the teens - no telling how much they would sell for now. The store at the corner of Bannerman (?) and Thomasville Road was as rural as they come - we called it the "Bradfordville Mall". You went there for bait and beer and gossip.

If the place is full of parents who are anxious about how well their kids are doing in school and will - gasp - even have them tutored, I am interested in finding out what is wrong with that? My kids didn't go to school in Tally, but I can assure you in our school district in North Dallas parents made sure their kids did well in school, either by helping them with their subjects or hiring a tutor in subjects they weren't good in themselves. I don't know what my kids would have done if I didn't get them a math tutor in high school I doubt my son would have graduated magna cum laude in finance and economics if I hadn't. Helicopter parenting in the 90's. Who woulda thunk it?

Reactions: squiffynole
I've seen the workings from the inside of the school district there. The reason the schools are good is because the parents work with their kids at home or have the money for tutoring if their kid isn't performing up to standard.

OH, THE HORROR!!! Someone should call DCF on those parents who are so stuck up that they want to help their children succeed in school.

All depends on your likes and dislikes. I'm not a fan of suburbs and having to drive everywhere. We've owned four different places in midtown and I would not want to live anywhere else. We can walk to the grocery store, a dozen restaurants, five or six places to get a beer, etc. Last Saturday, we walked to Food Glorious Food for brunch, walked back to the Tallahassee Theatre for a play, and then hit Whole Foods before walking two blocks home. Killearn is fine for many folks but just not my cup of tea.

This. It will be a while before I want to live anywhere I can't walk to the grocery store, bars, and local restaurants.

OH, THE HORROR!!! Someone should call DCF on those parents who are so stuck up that they want to help their children succeed in school.
The sad thing is, jpablo is a teacher. I hope my kids never have teachers like him.

Reactions: NolaNole9
I'm laughing out loud at these remarks about Killearn Lakes. I was the original on-site Realtor for KPI (Killearn Properties Inc.) back in the 70's! (what was amazing is the fact that the state gave a ten year old like me a license...seriously I was only about 23) The place was so heavily wooded and at the time maybe 30-35 houses were up, including ours. What a difference 40 years makes.

More deer and definitely more snakes than people at the time. I had the key to the back lakes and Kinhega Lodge and we went fishing sometimes after work in those lakes that were full of bass. We never went without a gun because of the alligators and moccasins. I sold a whole bunch of lots in there to people from up north in places like Cleveland - we won't go into the nasty business of selling land in Florida sight unseen, which I think they've sort of done away with, but regardless those lots were going for anywhere from $3600-$4400 at the time and by the 80's - after I was long gone - they were selling in the teens - no telling how much they would sell for now. The store at the corner of Bannerman (?) and Thomasville Road was as rural as they come - we called it the "Bradfordville Mall". You went there for bait and beer and gossip.

If the place is full of parents who are anxious about how well their kids are doing in school and will - gasp - even have them tutored, I am interested in finding out what is wrong with that? My kids didn't go to school in Tally, but I can assure you in our school district in North Dallas parents made sure their kids did well in school, either by helping them with their subjects or hiring a tutor in subjects they weren't good in themselves. I don't know what my kids would have done if I didn't get them a math tutor in high school I doubt my son would have graduated magna cum laude in finance and economics if I hadn't. Helicopter parenting in the 90's. Who woulda thunk it?
It proves that the school sucks. If someone is getting paid to teach your kid then you shouldn't have to pay out of your own pocket to have them taught. KLE is only considered a "good school" because of the population in the area and the gene pool.

LOL I never once said it was a bad thing. It's just stupid that a school gets such good ratings and is given a good name when the teachers and the administration at said school are the laziest and least caring that I have ever seen. The parents/tutors are the ones who really "teach" their kids. All the teachers do at that school is hand out packets of work and have silent reading time. Heck, as an adult in that school I was falling asleep watching what the teachers were doing so I can't imagine what the kids thought.

So teachers in good schools suck and teachers in bad schools are great?
The teachers at KLES are a different breed of teachers than the ones at the worse schools. A good majority of the teachers at KLES hand out worksheets for the students all day while they just sit on their computer and do nothing. It is the epitome of babysitting and not teaching. Also the teachers at KLES are very inappropriate in the things they say regarding students. They talk bad about the students behind their backs predicting which ones will end up in jail and which will be on drugs and which will be pregnant at 16. It's sickening the way that I have seen some of the teachers there act. At other schools such as Bond and Ruediger the teachers are much more caring and interactive with the students. They show the students the love and encouragement that they may not get at home. They care about all the students and don't blame all the low performing students on the parents. It's just an entirely different environment. If you want your kid to have a teacher who just hands out a packet and views your child as walking data then choose KLES. If you want your child in a school where the teacher will actually care for you child as an individual, then look elsewhere.

We moved up to Killearn Lakes 20 years ago for the schools.

My only complaint is the 25 minute drive downtown, that and a neighbor who feeds the deer sometimes there will be 20 of them in his yard.

The teachers at KLES are a different breed of teachers than the ones at the worse schools. A good majority of the teachers at KLES hand out worksheets for the students all day while they just sit on their computer and do nothing. It is the epitome of babysitting and not teaching. Also the teachers at KLES are very inappropriate in the things they say regarding students. They talk bad about the students behind their backs predicting which ones will end up in jail and which will be on drugs and which will be pregnant at 16. It's sickening the way that I have seen some of the teachers there act. At other schools such as Bond and Ruediger the teachers are much more caring and interactive with the students. They show the students the love and encouragement that they may not get at home. They care about all the students and don't blame all the low performing students on the parents. It's just an entirely different environment. If you want your kid to have a teacher who just hands out a packet and views your child as walking data then choose KLES. If you want your child in a school where the teacher will actually care for you child as an individual, then look elsewhere.

My daughter just finished up second grade at KLES. We have not had this experience at all, her K, 1st and 2nd grade teachers worked tirelessly to make sure that the entire class was getting the attention they needed. Sure we help out with encouraging her to do her homework and read and she does some other stuff on her own, but that's called being a parent. All of my daughters past teachers still seek her out to say hi and give her hugs, so they certainly care for her.

Did you get fired from there or something and just have sour grapes?

Did you ever stop to think that if perhaps the parents at the lower performing schools did those things that maybe they would be better performing?

Reactions: goldmom
My daughter just finished up second grade at KLES. We have not had this experience at all, her K, 1st and 2nd grade teachers worked tirelessly to make sure that the entire class was getting the attention they needed. Sure we help out with encouraging her to do her homework and read and she does some other stuff on her own, but that's called being a parent. All of my daughters past teachers still seek her out to say hi and give her hugs, so they certainly care for her.

Did you get fired from there or something and just have sour grapes?
Nope. I wouldn't apply there if my depended on it. I'm sure there are some teachers that are decent at the school but as your child gets into the older grades (4th and 5th) you will definitely begin to see what I'm saying.

Did you ever stop to think that if perhaps the parents at the lower performing schools did those things that maybe they would be better performing?
The reason they are lower performing is because of the demographics. The parents are less educated and work jobs where they most likely aren't able to help the children with homework. During the time I was in Tallahassee working in the education system guess which school had the highest Florida writes scores among 4th graders? Ruediger Elementary. They also had the highest learning gains among students in the county as well. Students at KLES don't get the attention they need unless they are already high performing. By law students who are under performing in reading must get extra time for remediation. Teachers at KLES just completely ignore this and don't comply with the Florida laws to help all students.

We live in Luna Plantation off of Bull Headley road which is on west boundary of Killearn Lakes. We love it out here. Be warned though, only move to this part of Tallahassee if you "wanna "be with a bunch of rich stuck up dick heads like my family. We think we are better than everyone. And if you have kids, make sure they don't mind going to the same schools as my kids who think they're better than everyone else. They get it from my wife and I.

We live in Luna Plantation off of Bull Headley road which is on west boundary of Killearn Lakes. We love it out here. Be warned though, only move to this part of Tallahassee if you "wanna "be with a bunch of rich stuck up dick heads like my family. We think we are better than everyone. And if you have kids, make sure they don't mind going to the same schools as my kids who think they're better than everyone else. They get it from my wife and I.
At least someone is honest.

The reason they are lower performing is because of the demographics. The parents are less educated and work jobs where they most likely aren't able to help the children with homework. During the time I was in Tallahassee working in the education system guess which school had the highest Florida writes scores among 4th graders? Ruediger Elementary. They also had the highest learning gains among students in the county as well. Students at KLES don't get the attention they need unless they are already high performing. By law students who are under performing in reading must get extra time for remediation. Teachers at KLES just completely ignore this and don't comply with the Florida laws to help all students.

I've got SUCH a mental picture of you in my mind, but I admit that is not fair. One day I trust you'll understand "the game". For your own children's sake if or when you have children.

I taught school in an upscale neighborhood (my own) and actually taught at my kid's high school. The demographics were such that over 85% of the parents had a bachelor's degree and just under half had advanced or professional degrees. They knew what it took to get where they were - a decent education. Were they going to make sure the kids learned inside the classroom and outside as well? Of course. Did my kids get tutoring when and if they needed it? Of course. Did they get a private SAT/ACT coach? Of course.

Did it pay off? Of course!

My daughter owns her own business and does consulting and design work. I think she'd tell you the opportunities she had along with the tutoring and coaching she had was worth it. My son graduated magna cum laude and went on to earn two advanced degrees.

Hey, if I was going to move a family to Tallahassee, I think I might move to a school zone not unlike KLES. Sounds like I'd fit in. Except no one in our family wears khakis with fish on them. .

Reactions: Bud Fox
I've seen the workings from the inside of the school district there. The reason the schools are good is because the parents work with their kids at home or have the money for tutoring if their kid isn't performing up to standard. I've seen some of the most disturbing things I have ever seen at a school at the elementary school in the area. If I had a kid, I would chose schools such as Bond Elementary, Ruediger Elementary, or any of the other schools in the less successful areas economically than the elementary school that schould remain nameless. Everything that is wrong with America's education system will be seen in that school. Not sure if the principal is the same there as when I was in that school but if so steer clear.

You finally did it, you went full retard....

Ok so you spent so much time within the Leon School district that you claim that the learning environment at Bond and Ruediger is better than Killearn Lakes, and proceed to back that up with a random stat about writing at one school, of which at least for the 2014 testing period you are wrong. Of the 3 Bond had a 3.6 mean score, while Ruediger and KLES tied with 3.5's. In fact looking back at 2011-2014 Springwood had the highest % passing at 85 and Ruediger never led the category in that period. Additionally when looking at scoring mean for the same period for writing exams there are two schools that tied with 3.7s (Kate Sullivan and Hawks Rise) and one with a 3.8 (Springwood), once again Ruediger did not have the highest mean in any year during that same period.

Come on man, anyone with google and a few minutes can find this stuff you try and make up.

http://fcat.fldoe.org/resultsFCAT2/default.asp

Reactions: Bud Fox

Is it just me, or does this guy have "scorned lover" syndrome written all over him? Give it a rest, buddy. You're making yourself look worse with each post.

You finally did it, you went full retard....

Ok so you spent so much time within the Leon School district that you claim that the learning environment at Bond and Ruediger is better than Killearn Lakes, and proceed to back that up with a random stat about writing at one school, of which at least for the 2014 testing period you are wrong. Of the 3 Bond had a 3.6 mean score, while Ruediger and KLES tied with 3.5's. In fact looking back at 2011-2014 Springwood had the highest % passing at 85 and Ruediger never led the category in that period. Additionally when looking at scoring mean for the same period for writing exams there are two schools that tied with 3.7s (Kate Sullivan and Hawks Rise) and one with a 3.8 (Springwood), once again Ruediger did not have the highest mean in any year during that same period.

Come on man, anyone with google and a few minutes can find this stuff you try and make up.

http://fcat.fldoe.org/resultsFCAT2/default.asp
I wasnt in leon county in 2014. i never stated that was the year i mentioned.

I wasnt in leon county in 2014. i never stated that was the year i mentioned.

You are right you didn't, however my post also addressed the periods of 2011, 2012, and 2013. None of those did Ruediger lead the county in either % passed or mean score. If you are referring to a period older than 2011, then really what is the point?

Just be prepared to spend more than elsewhere in the south. Housing prices are stupid high right now and property taxes are getting higher.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Home prices are higher than we expected, and there is not as much inventory as usual. It is definitely a sellers market right now. Any thoughts on Rosehill, Moore Pond, or Bobbin Brook?

My thoughts are those are some of the nicest places in town. You must be doing ok. You can send your kids to Maclay with mine and jpa's head will explode.

ADVERTISEMENT