ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Playoffs Thread

Personally I have been very disappointed in the NBA playoffs, for the last 2-3 years I have found the 1st and 2nd rounds to be really great basketball and very competitive. But this year it has been so bad I find myself watching small parts of games here and there.

Pure disgust on the Hawks FB page...rightfully so. Everyone saying they are pulling a typical Atlanta/ GA team by crapping their pants.

Atlanta definitely is loserville -- I don't see this team getting past Washington unless something changes....assuming they beat the nets.

Yeah Hawks didn't look good but I'm sure they'll turn it on rest of series. Wizards don't scare anyone.

Bulls crowd was terrible last night what an odd game. Cavs get bad luck and it's like Bulls were deflated by it. So weird, Bucks can take game 6 if they keep it up!

Hell of a game tonight. Blood pressure was probably through the roof, happy the Spurs came out on top.

Clippers got plenty of calls tonight that went their way, they failed to execute down the stretch and that's on them. Clippers should have won that game, but experience won out.

Blake Griffin is proving he is not clutch and cannot be relied upon in crunch time. Chris Paul, on the other hand, is incredible. Don't get to watch much of him, so this series has been a treat to watch.

Spurs got their usual calls, but it didn't matter with the missed foul shots and jumpers.
They're called choke city for a reason.

Spurs got their usual calls, but it didn't matter with the missed foul shots and jumpers.
They're called choke city for a reason.

Spurs may never shoot as poorly as they have in this playoffs. If the Clippers cannot beat them with a gimpy Parker, a geriatric and mostly worthless Manu, and an ice cold shooting Danny Green, I don't know how they're going to take it to the next level beyond the Spurs. The road only gets tougher after San Antonio, with Houston and likely Golden State still remaining in the West.

The Clipper's bench was non-existent yesterday. Same thing happened with the Heat in the Finals last year. The Clippers starters are talented, but there is a severe drop-off in consistency and reliability beyond that. Doesn't mean that they don't show up on occasion, but that will be a need they'll have to address in the off-season, regardless of how this season concludes for them.

As a side-note, last night was maddening from a Spurs fan:
  • Patty Mills was 4-4 on 3's and only played 15 minutes (don't think he saw the court in the 4th quarter). That made zero sense to me.
  • Tiago Splitter has been worthless this entire series, not sure how/why they are starting him at this point. $9.25 million down the drain. Put into perspective, that's only $1 million a year less than Duncan is making right now.
  • Watching Danny Green struggle this badly reminds me of Manu's horrid season from a couple of years ago when he just could not help the Spurs at all. That season, we kept saying, "It'll come back, he'll find his game" and it never happened for the rest of that playoffs. Not sure what's going on with him, but compare his shooting to his historical performances throughout the playoffs the past 2 years and this one is a shocker. He's a career 42% free throw shooter and so far this playoffs he's had games where he went: 1 for 7 (14%) LOSS, 0 for 6 (0%) LOSS, and last night 1 for 5 (20%). Spurs don't have the depth they've had in the past, so if he cannot find his shot, it's going to be hard to go any further than round 1 for the Spurs.

Hell of a game tonight. Blood pressure was probably through the roof, happy the Spurs came out on top.

Clippers got plenty of calls tonight that went their way, they failed to execute down the stretch and that's on them. Clippers should have won that game, but experience won out.

Blake Griffin is proving he is not clutch and cannot be relied upon in crunch time. Chris Paul, on the other hand, is incredible. Don't get to watch much of him, so this series has been a treat to watch.

I agree that it's on the Clippers for losing their cool. Ignoring bad calls comes with being a championship team. Of course, getting the calls helps you BECOME the championship team. That last quarter the clippers were getting mugged on their shots and there was never a whistle, meanwhile things like Daiw got an "and one" when there was no one within 2 feet of him towards the end. Or Parker getting the call when he grabbed Crawford as he went along the baseline. Garbage.
And what in the world was the technical foul call for? You don't call that in a close game in the 4th. You SHOULD have called the over the back, but not the technical for being pissed about the no call.

I agree that it's on the Clippers for losing their cool. Ignoring bad calls comes with being a championship team. Of course, getting the calls helps you BECOME the championship team. That last quarter the clippers were getting mugged on their shots and there was never a whistle, meanwhile things like Daiw got an "and one" when there was no one within 2 feet of him towards the end. Or Parker getting the call when he grabbed Crawford as he went along the baseline. Garbage.
And what in the world was the technical foul call for? You don't call that in a close game in the 4th. You SHOULD have called the over the back, but not the technical for being pissed about the no call.

The Parker on the baseline foul on Crawford was the right call, although it could have been ignored since both players were making contact. Crawford moved his lower body to block Parker out of bounds. The only two calls for the ref to make would have been out of bounds on Parker or foul on Crawford. Foul was the right call, but a tough call to make given the circumstance.

There were plenty of phantom calls on against the Spurs on Griffin and Paul, but rival Manu/Parker for flopping and creating ghost contact. One was an and-one with Paul driving to the lane untouched. Flailed and threw his had back. Replay showed no contact was made. He was fouled plenty of times, but that one was a complete wiff, yet it comes down to the angle the ref sees. Those calls go both ways many times.

I thought the calls seemed to favor LA early in the game (first half) then pretty even in the 3rd, then the Spurs in the 4th.

Clips are a pretty mentally fragile bunch, as evidence of Paul throwing little fits when things don't go well.

Game could have gone either way last night.

trying to pinpoint one bad call that would have definitively changed the outcome of the game is a moot point, as there's no way to know what would have happened differently after said call. I know Clipper fans are upset about that offensive goal tend call, but in reality that one was correct.

As for the technical on Paul passing the ball to the ref, only the ref knows why he called that one. It's possible that Paul said something just before that, but it's unclear from the replays that I saw. Originally thought maybe he flung it at the ref in anger, but I don't see it. Ref had enough time to catch the ball, so hard to argue that was a good call.

Tough game, but that's basketball.

Goaltending was the right call. Disagree on the Parker call. It was offensive foul. Even Reggie Miller saw that. Crafty play, but bad call.
I'm not a Clipper's fan. I lived in SA and followed the Spurs since before they got Robinson.
The Clippers are definitely a weaker mentally team. But I stand by my claim. If that game was called evenly the Clippers win.

• Patty Mills was 4-4 on 3's and only played 15 minutes (don't think he saw the court in the 4th quarter). That made zero sense to me.

I noticed that too. Coaches go with feel a lot of times as to who they put on the floor. It seemed to work b/c that is when SA made its run to take the lead.

Goaltending was the right call. Disagree on the Parker call. It was offensive foul. Even Reggie Miller saw that. Crafty play, but bad call.
I'm not a Clipper's fan. I lived in SA and followed the Spurs since before they got Robinson.
The Clippers are definitely a weaker mentally team. But I stand by my claim. If that game was called evenly the Clippers win.

Just Googled the call to see what you were seeing. I think you're probably focusing on the arm of Parker from this angle: . If that is the only view you saw, then I understand. I was focusing more on the over view they showed (back side). Still a sneaky play by Parker.

I'll see if I can find the reverse angle, which is what I was contending about Crawford sticking out his knee/lower body to block Parker out of bounds.

Probably should have been a no-call turnover, don't see that as an offensive foul. Contacting/wrapping was pretty prevalent the whole game on both sides.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the one. If they were going to call a foul at all it should have been on Parker as he grabbed Crawford. Aside from that there was no foul. No call - turnover would have been fine too. But this was right in the middle of the stretch when the Clippers were losing their cool. NBA refs seem to eat that up and double-down.

Definitely the best, and most flopping/whining matchup of the playoffs but with these two teams to be expected. I am surprised there haven't been many flagrants though I figured someone would cross a line but west is more polite on fouls.

On Pop taking mills out, I've been noticing lately in those uncomfortable coach in game interviews how many coaches don't pay attention to in game stats. A coach may say so so has hit 2 3's instead of 4, or so so has 12 rebounds when he has 6. I think coaches in playoffs are so overwhelmed and distracted they can miss some details even the best coach in Pop.

Apparently the Mavs' players didn't much care for Rondo either. In dividing up the money for the first round playoff but no advancing, the players decided not to give Rondo a share of that money.

Man, that looked like a good move in Feb. He sure turned out to be a cancer.

Haha that's really funny. I know opposing teams can't stand rondo and I think he got away with a lot when Pierce and Garnett were mouthing off so much to take more of the focus off him. But mavs IMHO don't have those guys so he's front and center and exposed.

Hawks I expected some growing pains with new expectations they just need to advance.

Devastating news for Cavs it's gonna take an epic effort to get past Bulls without love and varejao. Go bucks!

All I can say is what a series. Clippers played with urgency and CP3 turned it on when they needed it. Unreal that he was 0-6 in the first half. Flipped the switch and was phenomenal in the 2nd half. Hats off to them, great gritty game played by their starters.

Only thing that surprised me was the Spurs made it a game at the end. Felt like the Clippers were going to run away with it in the 4th, but Spurs did just enough to make it interesting.

Better and hungrier team won tonight, no question about it. Realistically, Spurs cannot win another series in the West with games like these. Clippers could make it a series with the Rockets and possibly (although not likely) Golden State if they shoot lights out.

I selfishly would love a Spurs run, but honestly I just don't see it.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Game 7 will be a double digit win for the Clippers. Could be wrong, but to see the Clips bounce back after that heart breaking Game 5, they're certainly poised for a last home stand.

After looking unstoppable for the past month, Kawhi looked as lost as Danny Green on offense. Marco Belinelli did his best Patty Mills impression, but can't win it like that.

On the positive side, at least the game was over relatively early this time :D And with that, sleep time.

Had to tape it I can't stay up for these west games.
Surprised clippers won again in San Antonio, but still expect choke city to lose a third home game Saturday.

Spurs did look off attacking which is odd at this stage. I hate hack a shaq, ruins flow of any game

I hate hack a shaq, ruins flow of any game

Isn't that the point? :D

I'm not a fan of it, but I did think Pop would have been wise to use it at-length in the 4th quarter. Spurs were shooting poorly and the Clippers found their range about mid way through the quarter. Not saying it would have worked, as the Spurs still weren't able to score.

Pretty honest and spot-on break-down from Popovich's post-game interview. About as chatty as he gets, really.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2015/05/01/PopovichPostgame43015mp4-3587756

The fact that the Spurs have had to resort to the hack a shaq is the biggest sign that their run has ended. That's just admitting that the other team can beat you on the floor.

Reactions: fmol4
The fact that the Spurs have had to resort to the hack a shaq is the biggest sign that their run has ended. That's just admitting that the other team can beat you on the floor.

That isn't the first time they've used it Belem. Quite the contrary. Pop has always done whatever it takes to exploit weakness. DJ is a horrid FT shooter. That's no different than a football team that exploits a weakness in an opposing defense over and over. Make them stop it. It'd be like running the ball 20 times in a row and the defense not being able to stop it.

If other teams chose not to do that (other teams do it, too, btw), then that's on them.

Spurs teams have never been the most athletic teams. They are the tortoise opposed to most other teams that are the haire. When you have "unathletic" old guys like Boris Diaw and Matt Bonner, you have to get crafty. Heck, the Spurs best player is 39 for crying out loud.

So yes, they are no longer in their prime, but even when they were they still weren't as athletic as the Clippers are. The only other 2 teams I can think of that are as athletic as the Clippers are Houston and Cleveland (and OKC when healthy). Very few other teams in the league can play that high above the rim.

I know it's not the first time they've done it, but they've been relying on it pretty heavily this series. People have been saying for years that the Spurs run is over an that they're too old - I think this time it's finally true.

Really didn't think it'd come down to the final play, this series really seemed to parallel the 2013 Finals down to 7 games and coming down to the final couple of possessions, to be won by the home team.

Tip of the hat to the Clippers. They'll need Paul healthy to have a shot against Rockets, who have home court. Will make for a very interesting 2nd round matchup.

Part of me is disappointed, not because I thought the Spurs had a chance at another title this year (that was never a realistic outcome based on this year's team), but because they let this series slip out from their fingers.

Pretty sure Duncan comes back, but Manu should certainly retire. I really thought he should have retired last year, he is not a player that can really contribute without that physical burst. Always was a flopper, but now that is all he relies on.

There's some talk of Lamarcus Aldridge being interested in coming to the Spurs. They'll need a big signing to stay relevant next year but it can happen if Manu retires.

I think a lot of people thought the Spurs were automatic favorites to repeat because the brought back the same team as last year. Instead of repeating their style of play, they just looked older and slower. It's a testament to their resiliency and determination to do as well as they did, considering their disappointing regular season.

Looking forward to the first break in a few years. The last couple of Spurs playoff runs took some years off my life (especially 2013), no more staying up til 2am watching games.

Pretty good game tonight. SA held in there better than I thought they would. But I still thought the Clippers would win it.

So now I have no teams I have a rooting interest in left in the playoffs.

Pretty good game tonight. SA held in there better than I thought they would. But I still thought the Clippers would win it.

So now I have no teams I have a rooting interest in left in the playoffs.

Ditto Bill. Time to take up a new hobby for the next couple months. Not used to Spurs being out of playoffs before June.

Definitely feel the changing of the guard here, with Dallas and now likely San Antonio in a rebuilding phase. My bracket in the east still looking good, west not so much, but I still have the Warriors surviving. Although this second round is going to feel a bit unusual, still some very good match ups.

It is a shame that those two teams had to play in the first round , but what a series.
Hate to see SA out so early, think my rooting interest will be the Grizzlies to win, although I wouldn't mind seeing Paul get a championship

Stunned Spurs lost.

IMHO playoffs is now about injuries. Conley, love, a limited Chris Paul, huge gifts for all three opponents. Will have to see how that goes, grizz have no offense without Conley. Clippers and cavs get their first sjot tonight, will be interesting to see what lineups Blatt has to use down 2 starters

Through 3 qtrs the Bulls are having their best shooting performance I can recall. 9/13 on 3's, most of which Have been terrible off balance looks with the clock winding down. Cavs are a predictable mess with new lineups but I can't get over these Bulls trick shots from 15-25 ft, unconscious

Well Cavs can't play worse should look better game 2. Blatt needs to evaluate the pick roll defense. LeBron didn't play very well and Kyrie disappeared late but Cavs need a better first qtr down 16 was too much too fast with new lineups.
Bulls shoot like that every game they'll win title easy that was crazy

Hell of a start to the 2nd round. Clippers winning without Chris Paul is bonkers. James Harden looked pedestrian with JJ freaking Reddick guarding him. Definitely not the way I expected the game to go at all. Really thought the Rockets would come out hungry, especially after Curry was officially named awarded MVP. Figured Harden would come out with a vengeance.

Guess Clippers are better than I thought they were.

Someone else here said early in the Mavs series that Houston was an overrated second seed team where Hardin was about all the Rockets had (very much paraphrasing). Clippers I guess figured out how to take him out of the game. Kind of surprising outcome esp with Paul being out.

Someone else here said early in the Mavs series that Houston was an overrated second seed team where Hardin was about all the Rockets had (very much paraphrasing). Clippers I guess figured out how to take him out of the game. Kind of surprising outcome esp with Paul being out.

Very surprising.

When I originally compared the lineups, I'd have given the nod to Houston. Looking back at it, I think I was flat out wrong on that evaluation. Rockets don't have anyone to match up with Griffin and Jamal Crawford scoring off the bench is a killer. Neither team is terribly deep. Harden will have to average 35 a game to beat the Clippers, and even that may not be enough.

I think the Rockets excel when they're running teams out of the gym and breaking their morale with Harden going off and Howard crushing people. When the others have to create their own shots, their offense stagnates.

Then again, you could almost say the same thing about the Clippers. When the shots aren't falling for Reddick and Rivers, that team can go through long scoring droughts. Griffin has improved vastly in his scoring abilities and CP3 is always able to create his own shot, but we've seen them fall into a similar trapping where they can get flustered and frustrated when things aren't going their way.

Interesting series, maybe the most intriguing one of the 2nd round.

And how about that Grizzlies/Warriors game last night? I only got to watch the 1st half, but it was clear that the Griz are an entirely different team with Conley available. Those early 9 pts put the Warriors back on their heels a bit. Great for the Griz to steal one early.

I am not sure you'll see Klay Thompson shoot that poorly again, though. 1 of 6 from 3, with an airball and a missed dunk in the first half, dreadful. No single Warrior player scored over 20 pts, very odd. Kind of exciting to see the Grizzlies might actually be able to frustrate the Warriors enough to knock them off their game and play a different style of basketball. Warriors aren't going to beat anyone shooting 23% from 3 pt land.

Cavs played possessed last night, and though they couldn't shoot second half they held on after hot start. Bulls shooting came back down to earth.
LeBron must have run a marathon, especially on the defensive end. Shumpert injury I thought season was over but hopefully he's ok as he came in late. so far he said he'll try to play friday.
Kyrie wasn't healthy tonight and tentative, he was limping during time outs. He better get aggressive and some rest.

Watched most of ROckets/Clippers, can someone explain to me how Harden/Howard are getting these calls? Lebron has 32 drives in two games, and 11 foul shot attempts. Rose doesn't go to rim much and has 0 attempts in 2 games. the Rockets duo is officiating games it seems. Clippers fought hard but are short handed, and i'm surprised both teams are allowing their centers to jump on every player who enters the lane leaving a lot of layups/dunks behind them for teammates.
Now, clips/rockets have 2 days off and there are no NBA games today, this schedule is ridiculous.
every series 1-1, when does that ever happen

I'm not sure I've ever seen a player that has a "need" to get up for a game like Lebron James does. For some reason, the guy seems to have to rise up to the occasion to show up. He wasn't enough in game 1, so then he decides to go all "Over the Top" with the headband and flip the switch to go King James mode against the Bulls. It was contagious because it seemed the team could not miss in that 1st half. I didn't watch any of the 2nd half at all.

If only Lebron decided to play every game in the playoffs as if it was a must-win, whatever team he plays on might never lose.

As for Harden getting calls, I have no idea. He's supplanted Parker/Manu/CP3 as the touch foul head fake foul calls that he gets. The guy lives at the free throw line more than anyone else in the league right now.

Looking at the stats for the playoffs, thus far, Harden is averaging 10.4 FTA per game, most in the NBA. Howard is second with 10.1 and "Hack a DeAndre" Jordan is 3rd with 10.0. As a side note, that's almost exactly what Harden averaged during the regular season as well (10.2 FTA per game).

Not without coincidence, those are the only 3 players averaging double digit free throw attempts per game in the playoffs and all 3 are listed above. Add to that Harden is shooting 96% from the line, and that is a deadly combination.

Last edited:
Dmm,
Sadly I agree on LeBron he just doesn't like to be super aggressive it's not him, he'd rather be the second or third best player on a dynasty, problem is he's the best player every night and he's not on the old celtics or laker teams. Truly maddening at times but still love watching him. He's gonna need to be aggressive from now on and be more Michael and less magic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT