ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Playoffs Thread

On that replay looks like Gibson actually shoved jr smith by his neck/face, which looks worse IMHO than the kick.

I think the shove looks worse in part because Butler came flying in to get Smith off of Gibson.

The fact that Lebron and Thompson were laughing at the replays while the refs reviewed the skirmish to determine ejecting Gibson kinda says it all.

I'm sure the league will over-react and Gibson will be suspended for a game.

Pretty interesting to watch the play from start. So 4 fouls on a play is actually pretty funny. IMHO that equals a 1 game off
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....son-deserved-to-be-ejected-from-game-5-video/

Oddly, I saw that story earlier today, seemed like rubbish. Watching the actual play (video at the bottom), rather than looking at still images, it looks like Dellavedova sells the contact a bit on the initial screen on the perimeter (particularly the head flip when contacting Gibson). Again, it's the playoffs and everyone is doing that so I can understand that (both sides). Ironically, taking still images is doing exactly what the article is trying to argue against: Taking an instance in time as being the end result of the Gibson being ejected. I don't disagree with him being ejected, however, taking still images to narrate a position is not the best way to do so.

You could also say the contact with Gibson running over Delly was due to Delly falling down (selling?), similar to how a player falls when a defender pulls the chair on a player trying to post up. Maybe Gibson flat out ran over Delly. Or maybe Gibson overestimated how much resistance Delly was going to give him on boxing out for that rebound. You can see that around the 57 second mark of that YouTube video.

None of that matters, of course, as the outcome was nothing was called on Delly for his part in provoking the altercation, and Gibson was ejected for the rest of the game and possibly more, jeopardizing the Bulls's chances of advancing in the playoffs.

As an aside, that kind of thing happens all the time, it's the playoffs and the play is physical. You could do that kind of analysis on many plays and see multiple fouls across the game, but that would be pointless. If every foul was called all the time in today's game, there'd be no players left at the end of games.

Not sure how credible the source is (Ken Berger of CBS Sports), but:

According to CBS Sports’ Ken Berger, there’s a “strong belief” that Gibson’s foul will be downgraded upon league office review.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2015/05/report-taj-gibsons-flagrant-2-may-be-downgraded/

Even with Gibson, doubt Chicago has a shot at the point to knock out Cleveland. Without Gibson, series ends in 6. With Gibson, it may go to 7.http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2015/05/report-taj-gibsons-flagrant-2-may-be-downgraded/

Follow-up: NBA Assigns technical on Dellavedova day after game. Sounds like weak sauce to me.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....vedova-technical-foul-for-leg-lock-on-gibson/

This is the right call. It’s what the officials at the game should have done.

We can debate the Flagrant 2 foul and ejection given to Chicago’s Taj Gibson — I thought it should have been a foul plus a Flagrant 1, not an ejection; however Brett from PBT disagrees, as does J.R. Smith — but the fact is the Cavaliers’ Matthew Dellavedova got away with a leg lock that helped escalate what happened.

The NBA didn’t let him get away with it and assessed a technical foul on Wednesday.

This comes well after the fact and doesn’t change the outcome of the game (nor likely would it had it been assessed at the time). Still, it’s good to have the NBA come in and admit that things should have been handled differently. Transparency is a good first step in improving the trust of NBA officiating

Speaking of horrid officiating, the Hawks game tonight was a travesty--for both sides. I pretty much lost interest years ago in the NBA due to the horrible officiating. I've enjoyed watching the Hawks as they're the hometown team, and the emphasis is on TEAM. But it's so frustrating watching obvious fouls, out of bounds, etc. completely blown by the zebras over and over and over. I don't know how the players can stand it. Maybe the players union needs to demand something in the next bargaining session.

It was ugly but it's the East they don't call it the same. Out of bounds stuff I can't explain that's just poor.

Did anyone hear john wall post game? Is there a more unlikeable young star in the NBA? Third person, here were my stats, I might be game time?
Are you kidding me? Wow

Only caught some of the Hawks/Wiz post-game highlights, I don't think I've watched more than a few minutes of live game coverage of any Eastern Conference series not involving the Cavs this year.

At the same time, didn't waste my time watching Warriors and Grizzlies, with Tony Allen out. Grizz have made it a series, but I don't see how they win 2 in a row against the Warriors.

Big games tonight from Clippers and Cavs. Hoping Clips can end the series tonight and prepare for the Warriors.

With 1:38 to play I turned off the Warriors game. Probably should have turned it off before that.

I did catch the last part of the Hawks game. Almost looked like Pierce had another game winner. But very poor defense by Washington on that last Atlanta basket.

With 1:38 to play I turned off the Warriors game. Probably should have turned it off before that.

It's a shame the west coast games start so late. East Coast is missing out on some quality basketball out there, albeit the last 3 games have been blow-outs. Still, much more enjoyable games to watch, and MUCH MUCH MUCH better shooting.

Not looking forward to the late tip tonight. I've gotten 8 hours of sleep combined the last 2 nights, so I'm really going to be dragging tomorrow. And in true Houston sports fashion, I'm expecting a good letdown tonight.

Cavs all heart. I can't believe they blew out the Bulls without Irving and 15 from Lebron. LeBron has shot poorly in most every Bulls series, and he's 4-0 vs Bulls, that's all that matters.

Thibodeau employed the all Lebron D, and it left al the Cavs shooters with no one within 7 feet. Shumpert, then Smith, then the amazing Dellavedova. Wide open and wide open opportunity and they finally hit 3's tonight.
This team of misfits and injured stars is starting to believe, after 92 games, that they can actually compete with anyone. Just a fun season to watch, love this team. They play so hard and really enjoy playing together.

For the bulls, you gotta blow that team up. On paper, Bulls should have won by 25 tonight, opposite happened. They don't have a leader and with cap issues coming i'm guessing Rose is on his way out soon to keep Butler and Noah but who knows. If the keep Rose Bulls will not win anything.

I just hope Wiz/Hawks goes 7, Cavs need a week off, they'll need Irving to have a shot at next round but the more time off the better. I think Irving could have played but didn't need him amazingly.

Clippers i expect to blow Rockets out.

Choke city is back! I didn't stay up but those comeback stats are crazy, and with harden mostly watching! 40-15 away from home geesh in the 4th

I'm getting too old for those kind of games. Didn't see that comeback/choke coming, but I'll take it. Hope Game 7 is good.

Went to bed thinking the Clips had locked it up.

I don't mind the game 6 loss, I don't have a favorite in this series other than wanting the best team to advance (and that looks like the Clippers overall).

Seeing Balmer stupefied made all that worth it.

Still hoping the Clippers find a way to win it in Game 7.

I would love to see a Clippers vs Warriors western conference finals, the games would end in the 130's every game. I'm not a fan of Harden or Howard, but I really don't care if they advance. I really don't see either team being Goldenstate.

Nice choke job by the Clippers. I essentially tuned out at the half when they were down by 10. They came out with little interest in the game. That didn't look like it changed all that much in the second half from what I saw. Yeah, they closed it to 8, but it never seemed like they would overtake Houston.

Thought they would not win that game seven anyway.

I imagine the talk about Chris Paul not stepping up to lead his team will start up again.

I see the story line is the Clippers failed to win rather than Houston was the better team after 7.

Paul is now 4-7 in playoff series. Carmelo is considered the worst playoff winner of this generation at 4-9

The Warriors depth is just incredible. Guys like David Lee and Shaun Livingston might be starters on other teams (not to even mention someone like Andre Iguadola).

Yep, deepest team in the league this year. They just score far too easily, so many offensive weapons.

Tough game last night. Rockets played fairly well for the most part, but still turned the ball over too many times and missed too many FT's. Credit to Golden State as well, they aren't a team that you can get away with defensive lapses and poor execution on the offensive end on. When they get going that offense is a thing of beauty.

As far as Howard's knee is concerned, I have a bad feeling he tore something last night. I know they said a bruised knee after halftime, but I think it's not going to be good news after he gets his MRI today. He couldn't get any lift when he was going for rebounds and was laboring before they took him out. Hopefully I'm wrong, but either way I don't expect him at full strength and he'll be limited in minutes if he tries to play tomorrow night.

Sounds like more than a bruised knee when Dwight says himself he "hopes" to play in game two. Unless he is laying a smoke screen for GS.

Cavs didn't play well but they rebounded well and and guarded the 3 and stole game 1. jR went off on tough 3's, while jones/Della/Shump 0/10 on wide open looks kind of funny.

Kyrie 5 days off still god awful I don't know how this team keeps winning. But I love their heart they just leave it out there.

Blatt just doesn't learn up big in 4th,Cavs keep going to late isolation and wasting possessions letting team back in. They weren't gonna call millsap for a sixth so post up lebron and run an actual play!

Carol, I hate injuries didn't look good but who knows.

Cavs have call to make on who to guard Teague, Irving can't move.

Interesting lineup tactics by both teams tonight will see how game 2 goes. Cavs will need to play better I'm
Sure Hawks will too.

Very close contest for most of the game. Too bad I missed much of the 4th instead having to fix the AC. Priorities. ;)

I think the East series will go 6-7 games. I foresee a Golden State 10+ point win tonight in game 2 of the WCF.

First, that was about as close to a carbon copy of the first half of game one as you can get. Except it was Houston making GS uncomfortable.

But as to the last possession, correct me if I am wrong but why Hardin chose to pass to Howard when he had an opening to shoot is baffling to me. I know they did not need a three but time was running out. Shoot the three and maybe get the put back if he misses. Instead he throws the ball to Howard trailing out at the three point line. You know he isn't going to shoot that ball from there and most likely not put it on the floor. The defense was not that tight on Hardin the first time he had the ball. The second time yes. But IMO he could have taken that shot.

Hardin had Terrance Jones flashing down the middle of the lane for an easy dunk or at least a fairly uncontested layup at the rim. Awful court awareness.

Disappointing finish. Everyone is blistering McHale on sports radio here about no timeout, but honestly I'm fine that he didn't since the Rockets had a 4-3 advantage and that would have let Kerr setup a defense and let the crowd get really loud. Fact is Harden should have shot it before he passed it to Dwight. He played a great game for 47 minutes and 53 seconds, but unfortunately those last seven seconds will be the part everyone remembers the most. Howard didn't play his best, but he did grit it out and seemed to get more comfortable in the second half.

Once again credit to Golden State as they made just a few more plays, but the Rockets let both of those winnable games get away.

Third quarter Cavs at both ends was the best ball I've seen this season. From any team. Didn't like how they played the fourth again but they at least ran some plays.

Guess Kyrie is done for the series Cavs need to get it done at home and not give Hawks hope. Great Cavs win very surprised by the score but they had great bell movement and made Hawks play iso. Impressive stuff this team doesn't care who's in or what anyone thinks

In recent memory, this must have been the easiest path to the finals that I can recall. The Celtics were pushovers, the Cave beat the Bulls without Love, Smith for a couple of games and Irving has been banged up and now they are easily up 2-0 on Atlanta without Love and Irving.

Also, I agree with McHale not calling a TO, the Rockets had a four on three going "downhill" with the ball in Harden's hands and he was having a monster game and I believe that he gets to the line more than any other player in the NBA, his pass to Howard messed with his momentum.

Well, early in this thread I made the comment that the Hawks weren't built for a long playoff run. But, like always, I ignored my better judgment and caught up in the desperate longing of Atlantans that this might be the year for some kind of championship (see Falcons 3 years ago). Now comes the news that Korver is out for the year, and the Hawks are surely toast now. I'll be shocked now if they aren't swept.
The agony of being a sports fan in Atlanta rolls on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT