ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Playoffs Thread

I was only able to catch the second half of the Cavs/Hawks game last night. Seemed like a real snoozer.

Hate to see Korver out for playoffs..dont think they had much of a chance , but without Korver this is a sweep

What a waste of time that was if you watched the game last night. I happened to have the Houston radio broadcast on. Even they were ripping their team's effort (or lack thereof). I got home and didn't even bother to watch the end when GS was up by 25.

And there, in a nutshell, is why I rarely watch the NBA anymore. Officiating in this league is worse than English soccer, and no one steps up their game for the playoffs. That was perhaps the most egregious call I've seen in a long time; if I were a conspiracy buff, I'd say the NBA was making sure their precious was playing in the finals for ratings.
Years ago, when I was coaching rec ball, there was a pair of zebras who would've made tonights clowns look good. They were hosing my team pretty good, and I finally lost my temper to the point that I called them over to the scorer's table, told them I wasn't going to risk injury to any of my kids since they were only going to enforce the rules on one team, and we were forfeiting. We walked out, and as a result, those two never worked another game in our league.
Kind of wish Coach Bud could do the same thing, but the stakes are higher here. Maybe he'll put in Antic and tell him to break Belladonna's nose or something.

Yeah, brought back memories of Dusty Rhodes and his "bionic elbow" lol

A blast from the past.

Didn't understand myself why that was a flagrant two. That is the sort of thing that gives cred to those who believe in the Jordan Rules kind of conspiracies.

Credit Atl for hanging in there being so short handed. But they are done.

If Lebron had the Jordan rules he'd have way more titles.

I just can't see any defense of an elbow drop it was absurd

I'll preface this with admitting I"m a lifelong Cavs fan...

Dellavedova is getting a bum rap on this. The Taj Gibson incident was maybe the most questionable. Having said that, I got down on the floor on my stomach, and when I push myself up, my feet come together. I think it was probably just poor timing that Gibson still had his leg between Dellavedova's.

Korver just came out on the short end of two players hustling for the ball.

Horford pulled Delly down, and while he may not have connected square with the elbow, he did throw his full body weight onto Delly's shoulder and arm. Dell is lucky not to have had a dislocated shoulder or broken collar bone.

The best thing about last night's game was the Steve Kerr interview after that stellar first quarter by GS. Other than that, that game was not worth watching save for the 45 pts by Harden. But then the question is where was that in game three?

Giving up 128 in a playoff game is impressive, Warriors allergic to defense last night.

So jr smith gets ejection and 2 games, Howard gets nothing for identical play?

On Delly, the Gibson play was silly and not dirty but unnecessary, same crap a Bowen or ginobili does.

Korver play, unfortunate but I've seen it s hundred times now and when a player goes belly first and one doesn't in any sport it ends badly.

Horford play he did nothing. But media needs their evil player to create a trending storyline so you can be sure if dellavadova breathes tonight we'll have a Twitter poll on if he didn't brush in order to distract Hawks.
Hope everyone keeps their head tonight seriously

Well, good news for the Hawks is that there's no further suspension for Horford. Bad news is there's no way they win 4 in a row from the Cavs, either.
Personally, Belladonna reminds me of a short version of Laimbeer. His job is to hurt people, and I wouldn't mind seeing it returned in his direction.

Incredible run by the cavs continues I never expected a sweep they are just playing defense and rebounding at a championship level. Offense was even fun to watch through much of this series.

Surprised Irving played at all but he's got a week off now to get better for curry, they'll need him much improved.

Hawks have a big offseason ahead. They have some nice pieces but need a star, Horford is not one.

Turns out Carroll was playing with turf toe as well. Agree they need a star. NBA doesn't want real teams, it's all about star power for tv ratings.
Cavs really played out of their minds this series. Be interesting to see how they do in the finals, given all the "The West is superior to the East" posts on here in this thread.

Spurs would disagree with your assessment, they've been running the NBA with a different star every night.

I agree many in this thread and across the country have killed the east all year so chance for cavs to show they belong. With love and kyrie I like cavs a lot vs warriors but may depend on kyrie and how well cavs continue to defend the 3. So far they've been incredible vs 3 pt shooting 28% in playoffs (41% overall).

Also interesting to me is that Hawks and cavs, when lebron played, we're both exceptional vs west. They'll need to win early in Golden state for sure.

Rockets most expect to quit tonight wonder if they look interested early

This just in, Harden turned the ball over again.

As for the Cavs last night, that spin move by LeBron against two defenders was worth watching the game right there.

Hideous game last night. Harden looked so disinterested after the first quarter, as did Howard.

So a week off now, if it helps kyrie I'm glad.

I'll be curious who cavs have on Thompson if shumpert starts on curry. And conversely what Kerr does with lebron, double every play like Bulls or try more straight up like Celtics and Hawks.

Not surprised by the Rockets outcome vs Golden State. They went 1-8 against them this year, so they had the Rockets number and were the better team all year long. Still it was a good season considering the low expectations from the media, all the injuries the team encountered and the fact that they managed to make the Western Conference Finals with Jason Terry and Pablo Prigioni as the PG's down the stretch.

Well my two picks for the finals are correct, I got the east right, butchered the west a little, but still had Golden State in the end. Now I hope and pray my final prognostication of GS in seven is correct, leaving LeHype and his sycophants in a state of morose.

24 seconds left tied game after timeout no play call. Really blatt? 8 seconds throw it to lebron come on. On to overtime

:Lebron scored 44 points so his chances of hitting the game winner were good. Although Iguodala did a pretty decent job in defending him in the 4th qtr. Clearly Kerr's plan was to play James one on one and not let anyone else beat his team. If James could do it mostly by himself more power to him.

On a side note, the two titles James did win in Miami, the team lost game one both times. With it looking like Kyrie being out for game two and maybe the series, that would make that a lot tougher.

Oddly, the Warriors packed the paint and lebron had almost no points at the rim. He's hot to post up deeper and get some easier buckets, that was a tough 44.

I hate to say it because that game last night was some of the best NBA i've seen in a long time, but this series is over. Cleveland needs a fully healthy, or at least very close to full healthy, Kyrie Irving. I would be suprised if he played again in this series and if he does he won't be close to full strength. This Cleveland team has already lost Kevin Love and Anderson Varejao to injury, Kyrie will be the nail in the coffin. LeBron can only do so much.

And that last play in regulation was pathetic. It has nothing to do with Blatt. That's 100% on LeBron to go to the rim right there, not jack up a fade away three pointer. If he goes to the rim chances are he gets fouled or kicks it out to Kyrie or JR Smith for a wide open three to win the game.

Will be a very interesting offseason to see if they hold onto Love and what other pieces they put around LeBron and Kyrie. Their bench is really really pathetic.

Personally I had no problem with the last 24 seconds and not calling a timeout. That is the shot clock length as we all know and is plenty of time to break down a defense for the last shot. The shot selection was the questionable aspect IMO as it had been for both teams particularly in the first quarter and much of the second.

I don't see Cleveland overcoming Kyrie's injury if it is as severe as it looked last night. It was a very good game to watch, one of the better ones of these playoffs. A lot of other Cavs in particular Dellavedova are going to have to step up to keep this a competitive series.

Last edited:
I don't blame anyone for saying it's over but the cavs play their best when they're left for dead.

Supporting cast of cavs was scared last night and didn't have their usual swagger I expect that to change.
Dellavedova is a much better defender than kyrie but it's the Marion or miller or jones that need to get going now.

On the last shot, if you're gonna let Lebron decide the play have him start with the ball not give it to him with 10 seconds left that made no sense so far from the basket IMHO

Btw I'm still trying to understand the mozgov travel near the end that was a huge blown call against cavs. Only a few media I've heard mention that today

Got in late to a hotel that night and turned it on in the fourth, James promptly hits a three, switch channels in disgust, but switched back in a couple minutes, boom, he hits yet another three. Switch channels, but finally tuned back in and stuck with it in the last minute or so of reg, certainly happy with the result. Don't count the Cavs out though, despite the injuries.

Unbelievable effort by cavs, overcoming outrageous calls and no calls late. Calls Jordan and Kobe and Duncan get 100% of the time. Would have been unfair if they gave warriors that game, really soured a tremendous battle. You know it's bad when even Van Gundy is acknowledging it.

Love the cavs heart they just need to improve on offense in the last 5 minutes. The defense was staggering, Dellavedova was tremendous on Curry sure he missed some shots but he was tired at the end from how hard he had to work to get open. JR was god awful so many dumb plays late but still a great win. Cavs can play better and they'll need to, to win at home.

Warriors looked stunned leaving the court i don't think they expected a series after game 1.

That was definitely an ugly game, but I'm sure that's what Cleveland wants. Muck it up, slow it down, and try to win close. They showed a lot of heart. I really really wish LeBron would stop trying to go full Kobe. He was brutal offensively down the stretch. Nothing but ISOs resulting in him shooting horrible off balance shots or going to the rim where there are 2 guys waiting. That's never been LeBrons game. He's always passed it when his teammate has a better look. I really hope they make some adjustments to their end of game strategy.

Cavs moved a bit more off the ball but need to do that even more. 11 assists could become 15 if they cut a few more times instead of watching.

That was definitely an ugly game, but I'm sure that's what Cleveland wants. Muck it up, slow it down, and try to win close. They showed a lot of heart. I really really wish LeBron would stop trying to go full Kobe. He was brutal offensively down the stretch. Nothing but ISOs resulting in him shooting horrible off balance shots or going to the rim where there are 2 guys waiting. That's never been LeBrons game. He's always passed it when his teammate has a better look. I really hope they make some adjustments to their end of game strategy.

It's next to impossible for him to play his game when there's 2 bigs inside clogging the lane. Every time he slams into the paint, there's 3 big bodies on defense waiting for him plus his 2 bigs. It's still difficult w/ Maz or Triston in there by themselves b/c both lack any outside shooting game so they never leak out for mid range jumpers, they stay in the paint and look for offensive rebounds (which is something that has helped the Cavs in this series).

I hate hate hate how he fades away on all his jumpers now, he's bigger/taller than 99% of the guys he's shooting over in that scenario and he's always fading away. Jump. Over. Them.

Thompson is an abysmal offensive scorer but I actually think mozgov can hit 15 footers if they ran regular plays. I thought they'd have done that more when Thompson is in clogging the paint.

Thompson is an abysmal offensive scorer but I actually think mozgov can hit 15 footers if they ran regular plays. I thought they'd have done that more when Thompson is in clogging the paint.

Mozgov is capable but it's not inherent in his offensive game yet. His first instinct when someone drives the lane is to get into position for an offensive rebound or get position for a drive and dish for an easy layup (or moving screen to clear a path). Go back to Kevin Love and Chris Bosh, they'd leak out for a 15-18 footer on the baseline.

I understand Cavs fans now feel they have a chance to win it. I am not so sure about that. Cleveland giving up that 11 pt lead late in the game would concern me when coupled with the OT loss in game one when they had a chance to win it. Delladova's performance aside and obviously James is doing everything out there, I think Cleveland got lucky in some ways in game two. I think Kerr adjusts to the defensive adjustments Cleveland made by spreading the offense out more to create space for cutters to the basket. Once Cleveland adjusts and stops overplaying the passing lanes I think that will allow Curry to do his thing.

Cleveland just put themselves in the driver's seat last night. With the two key players out the series looked to be in the Warriors' favor. James has really embraced GS's challenge of taking away his teammates and forcing him to beat them pretty much by himself. Dellavedova has stepped in very well for Kyrie and done a heck of a defensive job on Curry.

I was somewhat surprised GS didn't appear to make much in the way of adjustments and at times looked like they were just making it up as they went offensively.

Kerr actually went more to his bench and Lee and iguodala were sensational. He's definitely trying to wear out cavs.

Blatt needs to re watch the 4th he was badly out maneuvered on tactics late but he can learn from it.

Cavs really have some momentum I expect them to be even better in game 4. And memo to cavs, in the 4th, curry will shoot every time he touches the ball! Crazy at end

Cleveland just put themselves in the driver's seat last night. With the two key players out the series looked to be in the Warriors' favor. James has really embraced GS's challenge of taking away his teammates and forcing him to beat them pretty much by himself. Dellavedova has stepped in very well for Kyrie and done a heck of a defensive job on Curry.

I was somewhat surprised GS didn't appear to make much in the way of adjustments and at times looked like they were just making it up as they went offensively.

It's been quite a spectacle watching James handle the playoffs and personnel issues. I've really warmed to him since his letter discussing the move back to Cleveland.

I stopped by to see if there was a thread here. You guys should know there's a much more active thread over in the locker room forum.

ADVERTISEMENT