ADVERTISEMENT

Need some help picking a place to visit in FL

nolesfaninva4ever

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Dec 24, 2010
Coming to Florida for my birthday week in mid October. We have narrowed it down to 3 places. Would you pick Destin, Navarre Beach or Fort Walton Beach? Pros, and Cons would be helpful. TIA

Last edited:
For a truly one of a kind there is White Oak Conservation (formerly Plantation) on the St. Mary's River in the Yulee area of Nassau County. It has an unbelievable collection of artifacts and historic treasures, a superb ballet facility, an international negotiation center and an assembly of rare endangered animals that will blow your mind, all out in a beautiful wilderness setting. There are cabins but I don't know if it's open to the general public, thought I'd mention it since it is fabulous yet low profile.

Reactions: nolesfaninva4ever
For a truly one of a kind there is White Oak Conservation (formerly Plantation) on the St. Mary's River in the Yulee area of Nassau County. It has an unbelievable collection of artifacts and historic treasures, a superb ballet facility, an international negotiation center and an assembly of rare endangered animals that will blow your mind, all out in a beautiful wilderness setting. There are cabins but I don't know if it's open to the general public, thought I'd mention it since it is fabulous yet low profile.
Thanks, Squiff, for “broadcasting” a hidden treasure. 😀

Ok good stay a couple or three nights in Apalachicola at the historic Gibson Inn. The bar and restaurant there is very good. If the Owl Cafe is still open go there you won't be disappointed. There are a few local spots with brewpubs and dive bars.
Next morning drive across the bridge east, Early though to St. George Island and catch the sunrise over Apalachee bay. chill there on one of the best beaches ever. Then grab some lunch in East Point at any one of the several seafood shacks. Then go back to the hotel and grab a nap. Then get up and drive westward to Cape San Blas at @ an hour and go to the State Park for the Absolute best beach in Florida and watch the glorious sunset. On your way back turn off the main road and make your way to the Indian Pass Raw Bar for some great fresh and local seafood and a heavy dose of Old School Florida Culture.

Everything in Mexico Beach is brand new, uncrowded, and quiet.
Destin is busy but I like it. Great beaches, lots of restaurants, and shopping.
I've stayed several times at an older quiet place right on the main drag, recently remodeled. The Inn on the Harbor. I get a room on the back overlooking the harbor with great sunsets, no street noise, lights twinkling at night. My sister also went with me once and we just got some appetizers and a bottle of wine at the Fresh Market and sat out on the balcony enjoying the sunset and watching the boats.
But then I am not one who likes clubs. Live music is fine if it's decent.
October? It's a nice time of year in Florida. Tourist season in Lower Alabama is over.

I've stayed several times at an older quiet place right on the main drag, recently remodeled. The Inn on the Harbor. I get a room on the back overlooking the harbor with great sunsets, no street noise, lights twinkling at night. My sister also went with me once and we just got some appetizers and a bottle of wine at the Fresh Market and sat out on the balcony enjoying the sunset and watching the boats.
October? It's a nice time of year in Florida. Tourist season in Lower Alabama is over.
We are leaning toward Destin. My wife liked the comment about the shopping. 😂

Reactions: goldmom
I've stayed at the same place, The Inn on the Harbour. Walk up and down the boardwalk and drink a few bushwhackers with prime jet fuel on top. After a few, the fish get bigger and bigger. I've always loved last minute shopping sprees with my sister, too! Tourist season never stops at the FloraBama... "Doin' It on the Line." Go eat at Captain's Marlin's in Destin; moved east since the days of being taped on Jaws 11. P.F. Chang's in Sand Destin a good spot, too.
Across the bay is Nick's, a local place that's been there since 1176 B.C. Great shrimp and oysters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT