ADVERTISEMENT

New FUTBOL thread (old one is broken)

Good to see Ramey come off and prevent injury. He's vital. But Flamini. UGH,, How soon before he's in the book.

How many Brenden Rogers doesn't know how to coach (again) type stories are about to appear in the UK? Wow did Arsenal just rip them. Yes, Liverpool did create some (especially the early chance by Markovic but the pass was horrible to Sterling) but Arsenal seemed very happy to play that type of game knowing that they'd likely convert a couple of their chances even if Liverpool did score. Liverpool made it very easy on Arsenal IMO by playing so open in the middle especially the first 10 mins. Once Arsenal had that confidence, it was their match to lose and with the form they are in, they weren't going to (unless Ospina made a huge error).

Originally posted by seminoleed:
Does beating the Peasants ever get old?

Methinks not.
NO it does not!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Rogers misses Suarez badly. He scored all their goals last season. What Liverpool missed more than anything today, was
Skrtel.

Liverpool has done well against the top 10 league teams (9-not including Liverpool), amassing 28 points out of a possible 48 and they have amassed 13 out of 15 points against the bottom 3 teams, but, here's what's separates them from the other top 5 teams, the have only garnered 4 out of a possible 21 points against the 4 teams ahead of them, which is dreadful.

I just did a quick analysis of the top 5 teams against each other, the top 10 and the bottom 3. A few things that stood out.

City has only 8 out of 15 points against the bottom 3. They have gained 9 out of 21 points against the top 5.

Chelsea only has 1 loss against the 10 earning 28 out of a possible 39 points and have not lost to a top 5 team, with 1 win and 3 draws (6 out of 12 points.

United has done better then the others against the top 5, getting 7 out of 12 points, but United is only 13/18 against the bottom 3.

So, Chelsea is ahead, basically based on their performances against the top 10 teams, and not losing to any other top 5 teams.

I haven't looked it up, but Liverpool does miss Suarez, and I know they had a large number of PK's, probably drawn by Suarez and I am not sure how last year compares to this year. I think that Liverpool thought that Suarez could be replaced by committee, but that hasn't been the case.

I love this morning's result, as United still has to play City, Chelsea and Arsenal.

Just looked it up, and after 31 games last year, Liverpool scored 84 goals compared to 45 this year and gave up 39 goals compared to 36 this year. Their GD has gone from +45 to +11, and that's a minus 34 compared to last year and Suarez scored 33 league goals last year. Suarez has not been replaced.

Originally posted by NoleInBama:
Rogers misses Suarez badly. He scored all their goals last season. What Liverpool missed more than anything today, was
Skrtel.
What Pool missed more than anything today, was heart.

Another Chelsea top 10 win and this must surely just about clinch the Championship for the Russian mob!

A great goal by Charlie Adams, and the goal will create some headlines and clicks on web sites, but that is not the goal of the year. Courtois looked to be out of position and stunned by how far Adams struck the ball, not much skill there on either part, but a great goal, none the less!

Originally posted by Manch.:
Another Chelsea top 10 win and this must surely just about clinch the Championship for the Russian mob!

A great goal by Charlie Adams, and the goal will create some headlines and clicks on web sites, but that is not the goal of the year. Courtois looked to be out of position and stunned by how far Adams struck the ball, not much skill there on either part, but a great goal, none the less!
T'ain't over yet. Costa re-aggravated his hammy, and we still have to weather the next match against QPR without Fabregas or Matic getting a yellow lest either gets a 2-game suspension.

Originally posted by seminoleed:
Originally posted by NoleInBama:
Skrtel.
What Pool missed more than anything today, was heart.
pool lost its heart when they stopped starting Stevie G and then Gerrard felt he need to be thug to earn back Rogers respect.

8 minute hat trick for CR7 today as part of his 5 goal haul. His personally and team rut might be over, but the damage already might be to great as Barca can grab a 4 point lead with a win over Celta Vigo today.

I took a quick look at the chances that Suarez created last year for Liverpool. He recorded 12 assists to go along with his 31 league goals, so that's almost 43 goals that Suarez accounted for that they are lacking this year, because I don't think anyone on Liverpool has come close to replacing him.

Also, Liverpool had 10 successful league PK's last year, compared to 5 this year, and I can bet that last year's total is a result of Suarez creating chances for himself, or by passing. 3 of those PK's last year accounted for late game winners, and none this year.

I remember the Liverpool fans predicting the collapse of United when CR7 left, but that same year, Liverpool lost Xabi Alonso, and United went on to win the league while Liverpool collapsed. This year, Liverpool hasn't dropped off as bad as 2010/11, but I think Suarez is missed more than CR7 and Xabi combined. Maybe you guys can help, but I've never seen a team miss a player so much as Liverpool has has missed Suarez. I think Liverpool was right in selling him, for both the money and as Kenny King said, "he was an embarrassment to the Liverpool kit", but I don't think Liverpool spent their money wisely and they relied too much on the talent that they had, and that talent was brought out by the fact that Suarez was on the pitch.

I've resisted this sentiment until now but after seeing a hat-trick by Messi every other week, and now a 5-goal performance in a 9-1 match, I don't see how anyone can call the Primera anything other than fraudulent (from top to bottom.)

Of course Barcelona and Madrid are legit. As are Atletico, Sevilla, Valencia, and Villareal. If you want to pick three or four more teams, fine, I'll give you those too. But don't tell me there are 20 legitimate professional teams in Spain… Because there absolutely are not.

On their day, Burnley can beat Man City, and Sunderland can draw with Chelsea. Those matches would NEVER happen in La Liga. They ought to contract the number of teams in the first division to something like 14 or 16.

Originally posted by LesClaypool:
I've resisted this sentiment until now but after seeing a hat-trick by Messi every other week, and now a 5-goal performance in a 9-1 match, I don't see how anyone can call the Primera anything other than fraudulent (from top to bottom.)

Of course Barcelona and Madrid are legit. As are Atletico, Sevilla, Valencia, and Villareal. If you want to pick three or four more teams, fine, I'll give you those too. But don't tell me there are 20 legitimate professional teams in Spain… Because there absolutely are not.

On their day, Burnley can beat Man City, and Sunderland can draw with Chelsea. Those matches would NEVER happen in La Liga. They ought to contract the number of teams in the first division to something like 14 or 16.
I'm a big Premier League fan, but I'm not sure you're being completely fair. A big difference in Spain is that the bottom feeders don't "park the bus" like the bottom feeders do in England. Also, the Premier League has had scorelines as bad a 9-1. Barcelona lost to Granada, 1-0, just last year.

I'm not even that big of a Premier League fan. I LOVE Arsenal, yes, but I'm not one of those that proclaim the superiority of the Prem over other leagues. I was just using the Prem's bottom feeders as evidence as to why the league is legitimate.

My contention is that La Liga...the whole damn league...is illegitimate. It's a farce.

What you're describing (the Barca loss to Granada) is a huuuuge anomaly. 4-0, 5-0, 6-0 scorelines happen all the time in La Liga. They should be few and far between, and are in other leagues. In La Liga, they're expected and commonplace when the top sides play the bottom.

All I'm saying is contract a few of the teams at the bottom. They don't have 20 legit sides. They just don't.

My $.02 anyway.

8 minute hat trick for CR7 today as part of his 5 goal haul. His personally and team rut might be over, but the damage already might be to great as Barca can grab a 4 point lead with a win over Celta Vigo today.

I took a quick look at the chances that Suarez created last year for Liverpool. He recorded 12 assists to go along with his 31 league goals, so that's almost 43 goals that Suarez accounted for that they are lacking this year, because I don't think anyone on Liverpool has come close to replacing him.

Also, Liverpool had 10 successful league PK's last year, compared to 5 this year, and I can bet that last year's total is a result of Suarez creating chances for himself, or by passing. 3 of those PK's last year accounted for late game winners, and none this year.

I remember the Liverpool fans predicting the collapse of United when CR7 left, but that same year, Liverpool lost Xabi Alonso, and United went on to win the league while Liverpool collapsed. This year, Liverpool hasn't dropped off as bad as 2010/11, but I think Suarez is missed more than CR7 and Xabi combined. Maybe you guys can help, but I've never seen a team miss a player so much as Liverpool has has missed Suarez. I think Liverpool was right in selling him, for both the money and as Kenny King said, "he was an embarrassment to the Liverpool kit", but I don't think Liverpool spent their money wisely and they relied too much on the talent that they had, and that talent was brought out by the fact that Suarez was on the pitch.
James Rodriquez also returned to the starting lineup for Real today. Coincidence? I think not.

The lower tier spanish clubs don't have the same money as lower british clubs, the revenue split is unfair in la liga.

Outside barcelona and real , 3-20 score fewer goals per game than Epl 3-20.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The Noisy Neighbors lose at Palace 2-1 and are in a tailspin now. They got royally screwed twice--Palace's 1st goal was offside, and a clear hand ball in the box was ignored as well. Which is all good, IMHO.

So now The Arsenal is in 2nd, United is 3rd, and Citeh falls to 4th and is chasing the Peasants and Hotpants to see who can collapse the worst.

Originally posted by Rishi:

James Rodriquez also returned to the starting lineup for Real today. Coincidence? I think not.
So true, what a difference he made out there. When I turned the game on late, I saw the name "James" on the back of the jersey and was trying to figure out who the bleep he was!
laugh.r191677.gif

Has anyone else heard the rumblings of Javier Hernandez going to Orlando to lineup with Kaka'? Wow, I would really have a favorite MLS team now and would add Orlando to Portland/Seattle (home games) as can't miss matches. Kaka' setting up a known poacher would be awesome. For the MLS's sake, and for Orlando to draw the Mexican fan base, this is the most exciting idea that I have seen from the MLS! Can the purple dig deep enough to land Chicharito? I sure as hell hope so!

This would be a WIN-WIN for everyone involved!!! Too bad the Glaziers didn't own Orlando City!!!

Has anyone else heard the rumblings of Javier Hernandez going to Orlando to lineup with Kaka'? Wow, I would really have a favorite MLS team now and would add Orlando to Portland/Seattle (home games) as can't miss matches. Kaka' setting up a known poacher would be awesome. For the MLS's sake, and for Orlando to draw the Mexican fan base, this is the most exciting idea that I have seen from the MLS! Can the purple dig deep enough to land Chicharito? I sure as hell hope so!

This would be a WIN-WIN for everyone involved!!! Too bad the Glaziers didn't own Orlando City!!!
Yeah, b/c then they could do a "loan" the way City did for Lampard.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Rishi, do you miss Lampard at Chelsea? The league table doesn't reflect his loss, but maybe his depth maybe could have helped in the Champs League and maybe the domestic cups?

A little, but the thing about it is, he wasn't willing to accept a super sub role at Chelsea. Also Chelsea has a policy of only offering 1 year deals to players who are 30+ years of age (if they are 29, multi year deals are still a go eg. Felipe Luis got a 3 year deal at age 29 this past summer). He got more money and years when he signed with NYFC. Still craws at me that he accepted a loan in the PL, but not as much as when he was banging in goals in Oct./Nov.

Depth could've helped, but not really sure Lamps is the difference between Chelsea watching and playing in the QFs of UCL this year. PSG beat us on set pieces, yes they played better than they should've in open play, but it was the set pieces that cost us.

Anyone see the latest la liga attempt to suspend cr7 again, this time for a 5th yellow of season after he was run through in the box. Incredibly no pk but a yellow for a "dive". I'm too lazy to link vid.
They'll appeal and lose because he's ronaldo.
Another example of why I think United are a distinct possibility this summer back in CL.
Each week la liga has another hearing to complain about ronaldo, (his celebrations, adjusting himself, he's not on barcelona etc...)the horror really is he's not spanish, not his arrogance. I can't see how he's not fed up by now he's treated differently than anyone in Spain. And madrid fans are miserable to him honestly IMHO

To his demise, CR7 has brought some of this on himself, especially the diving. He does come across as selfish and arrogant, by not celebrating a teammate's goal, but from what I've read, and Tim Howard really drives the point home, is that he is one of the two best in the world because of his God given talent, and he's never had a teammate work so hard in practice to get better. Did I see that Modric, CR7 and Rodriguez will all miss the next Real match? The yellow on CR7 was as soft as they come.

The treatment he gets from the Real fans is mind boggling, he should be treated a lot better and appreciated more, but I guess that comes with his price tag. At the right price, I would like to see him back at Old Trafford. A CR7 for Di Maria and De Gea swap? I absolutely do not want Bale, especially at the price Real is gonna ask for him.

To his demise, CR7 has brought some of this on himself, especially the diving. He does come across as selfish and arrogant, by not celebrating a teammate's goal, but from what I've read, and Tim Howard really drives the point home, is that he is one of the two best in the world because of his God given talent, and he's never had a teammate work so hard in practice to get better. Did I see that Modric, CR7 and Rodriguez will all miss the next Real match? The yellow on CR7 was as soft as they come.

The treatment he gets from the Real fans is mind boggling, he should be treated a lot better and appreciated more, but I guess that comes with his price tag. At the right price, I would like to see him back at Old Trafford. A CR7 for Di Maria and De Gea swap? I absolutely do not want Bale, especially at the price Real is gonna ask for him.

I want Ronnie back just as much as anyone... but I really don't want to lose DeGea for anyone. If we can package DiMaria and loads of cash I'd much prefer that. I agree on Bale too... no way I want him, even for 30 mil, let alone for 60+

Ronaldo's a freak but it does bother me to no end that he doesn't celebrate his teammates' goals. There's really no excuse for that.

re: Bale, it's not the transfer fee that will kill you, it's the wages. He's already on ~£300/w. If he transfers he likely gets a raise on that. I'm not sure if anyone in the PL is on 300/w as it is, so he'd definitely be the highest paid player. At Chelsea (I'm using Chelsea b/c I know the wages fairly well), Hazard is the highest paid player and he just resigned at £200/w and we just signed Courtois, Azpilicueta, Oscar and Matic to extensions during the course of the season. If Bale signed at Chelsea it would blow up our wage structure.

Back to Bale, let's use round numbers here. Let's say his transfer fee is £90M and he gets £17M/year salary on a 5 year deal. That puts his FFP hit at £35M/yr. That's lunacy. I know with the new huge tv deal and more big clubs having new shiny sponsor deals (Chelsea has a new shirt deal from Yokohama starting next campaign) it's much more manageable than even this year, but that's still an absolutely huge number. Would need to either start and end your summer transfers with him or have a huge exodus from your squad to make further moves.

Originally posted by kooterridesagain:
Anyone see the latest la liga attempt to suspend cr7 again, this time for a 5th yellow of season after he was run through in the box. Incredibly no pk but a yellow for a "dive". I'm too lazy to link vid.
They'll appeal and lose because he's ronaldo.
Another example of why I think United are a distinct possibility this summer back in CL.
Each week la liga has another hearing to complain about ronaldo, (his celebrations, adjusting himself, he's not on barcelona etc...)the horror really is he's not spanish, not his arrogance. I can't see how he's not fed up by now he's treated differently than anyone in Spain. And madrid fans are miserable to him honestly IMHO
I'm surprised that it's only 5th yellow for suspension in La Liga. In the PL its 10 at the end of this weekend for a 2 game and the 5 game was end of Jan for a 1 game (before amnesty set in). i.e. if you had 4 at the end of Jan. and got your 5th in Feb, no suspension.

I didn't realize bale was that high s salary, what a crime.

I agree de gea madrid would require plus say falcao( though I don't don't his rights are owned at United) and few best young prospects.

Celebrating teammates, he does it, just not with the same enthusiasm as his self aggrandizing celebrations. It does bother me a bit too.

La liga just overturned that yellow, well done and shocking!!

In Spain u also automatically miss 3 games minimum for a red, and many have been soft this year they've given out.

[/QUOTE] Shocking is correct, but La Liga knows that Ronaldo equals ratings and money, and they don't want him sitting because of an over zealous official who wears a Qatar tee shirt under his fluorescent yellow match day shirt!

I didn't realize bale was that high s salary, what a crime.

I agree de gea madrid would require plus say falcao( though I don't don't his rights are owned at United) and few best young prospects.

Celebrating teammates, he does it, just not with the same enthusiasm as his self aggrandizing celebrations. It does bother me a bit too.

In Spain u also automatically miss 3 games minimum for a red, and many have been soft this year they've given out.
I'm pretty sure that's the same in all major footy leagues (re: 3 games for a straight red). Excluding last man back reds where it's only a 1 game ban.

The Arsenal weren't pretty, but any road game that results in 3 points I'll take. And with Hotpants losing today (to Villa, wtf?), St. Totteringham's Day draws ever closer.

What a difference Ashley Young and Fellaini have been this year.

LVG said it would take some time to get things going, just as they did when he was is charge at Ajax, Barca and Bayern, and the defense has been solid for most of the year and now the midfield is playing great and they are scoring goals.

I would have been happy with 4th place a few weeks back when United still had to face the Bar Codes away, the Spurs at home, Liverpool on the road, a much improved Aston Villa under Tim Sherwood and of course today's Derby. United taking the maximum 15 points was pretty much unthinkable to me about a month ago.

If United and Arse continue to play at this current form, then May 17th is lining up to be one great match to watch, and possibly is going to decide 2nd place. United has 6 games left, 4 of them on the road including back to back road matches coming up with Chelsea and Everton (who has shown better form but still is still only 3W-3L-2D in their last 8).

City has 4 home games left, but travels to the Spurs and Swansea, and finish up at home against So'ton.

Arse still has the FA Cup and 4 home games, including Chelsea (one of the few times that I will ever root for Chelsea) and Swansea, and a trip to Old Trafford.

Chelsea has just about wrapped the title up now.

Did I see this stat correct? Man City has not won an EPL match since 1995 when losing at halftime? If I read that correctly, that has to be one of the most incredible things that I have read in a long time. Just in the 2011 and 2012 seasons, I think United was losing at half just about every other match.

April 17th, 1995 was the last time City won a league match when trailing at the half. Here's the last time their rivals have won when trailing at the half:

United: 10/5/13 at Sunderland, down 1-0 and won 2-1.
Liverpool: 3/31/13 at AV, down 1-0 and won 2-1.
Arsenal: 10/29/11 at Chelsea, down 2-1 and won 5-3.
Chelsea: 5/11/14 at Cardiff, down 1-0 and won 2-1.
Tottenham: 11/23/14 at Hull, down 1-0 and won 2-1.

So now City has lost 87 straight when trailing at the half, and not only have their rivals just recently have come from behind to win while losing at the half, they all have had their come from behind wins on the road!

Cl is back!
Ancelotti has been embarrassed most of the 6 games vs Atletico this year as his 3 man midfield has been dominated by 5 man Simeone midfield and Ronsldo starved of touches. Will he finally go 4-4-2 today away and bench Bale or lose yet again?

Cl is back!
Ancelotti has been embarrassed most of the 6 games vs Atletico this year as his 3 man midfield has been dominated by 5 man Simeone midfield and Ronsldo starved of touches. Will he finally go 4-4-2 today away and bench Bale or lose yet again?

CL returning....glad it is that time again. Ancelotti won't change tactics IMO. Damn the torpedos time I think.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT