ADVERTISEMENT

New FUTBOL thread (old one is broken)

I think Walcott is good as gone, which sucks b/c right now he's in exactly the role he should be in (super sub at the 60-75 minute mark). He's absolutely lethal coming on and running at tired defenders.

I can't blame him though. I'd want to play 90 minutes if I could too.

Well, if he is leaving, he's giving the Emirates fans a great going away present. Beautiful hat trick.

And the Peasants---really? Is this a protest about being stuck on the ScyFy Channel? How embarrassing.
They should take Gerrard off at the beginning of the second half to save him further disgrace. This is one of the most disgusting cases of quitting I've ever seen. Is Europa League that bad?

Well, if he is leaving, he's giving the Emirates fans a great going away present. Beautiful hat trick.

And the Peasants---really? Is this a protest about being stuck on the ScyFy Channel? How embarrassing.
They should take Gerrard off at the beginning of the second half to save him further disgrace. This is one of the most disgusting cases of quitting I've ever seen. Is Europa League that bad?

That was the first time in Premier League history that Liverpool gave up five goals in the first half, I am not sure if that is in the history of Liverpool, or just in the past 23 years.

I think that the EPL's top four need to add depth to competes in Europe because they cannot take a match off in the league, like Barca, Real and even perhaps Bayern can, because top to bottom, the EPL is perhaps the toughest league to compete in. The top teams simply just can't rest their starters and walk away with a win.

Norwich makes the quick up-and-down to get promoted again. Gotto admit I was hoping for Boro to go through as Chelsea has a decent relationship with them (Karanka as their manager, Bamford, Kalas and Omeruo on loan there) as likely one of Bamford or Kalas would've probably stayed there and played a decent amount in the PL had they won the promotion.

Yeah on Norwich, going up, down,then up again is the best financial situation a team can have. Let's see if they spend their money more wisely this time as none needs to be spent on the grounds, only player wages. I wanted Boro too but Norwich has unreal fans so hard to not be happy for them

THat is crazy!

So Swiss and U.S. Just arrested a bunch of FIFA reps on corruption charges. Blatter not among them but this is a surprise to me I didn't think anyone cares.

Now what does Wenger do? Walcott was arguably MOTM today (along with Sanchez, Bellerin and Coquelin, lol) and was a presence from the very beginning of the match. Then he gets pulled for Giroud, who promptly shows his skills as well. 4-0 over the Villains, 2 FA Cups in a row, and a record 12 total. Makes for a great Shield match with the Chavs to start next season.

And did anyone else see Messi's opening goal in the Copa del Rey today? Truly sick!

Now what does Wenger do? Walcott was arguably MOTM today (along with Sanchez, Bellerin and Coquelin, lol) and was a presence from the very beginning of the match. Then he gets pulled for Giroud, who promptly shows his skills as well. 4-0 over the Villains, 2 FA Cups in a row, and a record 12 total. Makes for a great Shield match with the Chavs to start next season.

And did anyone else see Messi's opening goal in the Copa del Rey today? Truly sick!

They'd do well to keep Walcott. Plenty of games to go around. They should sign Schnderlin and Cech and have a real go.

Messi's goal was ridiculous.

I would have used all three of my substitutions on those three guys who let Messi walk right through them. That was a no layup play, and as nasty as La Liga can get, someone should have at least tugged on his shirt, not his cape, but his shirt.

Rafa headed to Real?

Sanchez looked like Magic Johnson against Ecuador. What a game he had to open up the Copa. Mexico and their B team play Bolivia tonight. BeIn sports coverage sucks. There's no HD, the cameras are distant and the commentators are sitting in a cubicle in New York somewhere. Who is the British/Irish commentator who does a lot of games for Bein? He is awful, he belongs in Canada broadcasting that grass growing tourney.

How come FIFA allows the women to play on plastic and the men have to play on natural?

BeIn coverage and their lack of HD does royally suck!

I couldn't disagree with you more though about Ray Hudson – the English commentator, (from Newcastle, UK). I absolutely love him. He's one of my favorite people in all of international football.

Sanchez and Vidal were both excellent for Chile last night. How come no Antonio Valencia for Ecuador though?

Too funny, I was just looking to see how come Antonio Valencia did not play last night, and he isn't even on the 23 man squad. He was red carded in Ecuador's last World Cup game, maybe a three match ban kept him off the roster? I will try to find out more. ***Update, Valencia is out due to surgery on his ankle, where he is having screws removed*** I remember the ankle break back in 2010 when he had severe ligament damage and was projected to be out for a year, he was back playing in a competitive match in 6 months. I guess the screws are causing discomfort and Ecuador and United wanted the surgery done ASAP, as Ecuador wants him 100% for October's start to the 2018 World Cup qualifying and of course United wants him ready for the Premier League.

I know kooter is probably watching, but it's nice to have others watching and discussing the Copa here! Like the World Cup, I will DVR every match and even if I don't get around (which I won't) to watching every match, I will at least be able to watch all the goals and be able to go back and watch the controversial plays and great saves. If I am putting around the house, I will leave a game on and check out the TV when I hear Ray Hudson get all excited over a shot that landed past the track and into the 20th row.

This Cup is geared to let Chile make it to the finals. How come the winner of C doesn't get the 2nd place team with the lowest points? Chile will have a path to the finals consisting of Peru/Paraguay then face a runner up team, probably Columbia and then the finals. Brazil might get Uruguay (Suarez is banned for the competition), then Argentina and then probably Chile in the finals. As it appears to me, Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay will all be in one bracket while Chile could get a combination of Peru, Paraguay, Mexico's B team and Columbia. Gotta sell those tickets!

By no means is Ray Hudson the worst, but the guy can't stop ass kissing the players and his metaphors are over done and are on a 3rd grade level. Every play is beautiful or unfortunate. He kills the match for me.

Sanchez was great last night, his passing was incredible and Vidal (long time rumors of transferring to United) looked OK after playing like shit in the World Cup. Was it me, or was Sanchez pissed when Vidal immediately picked up the ball to take the PK?

I am a Ray Hudson apologist. I admit it. He can do no wrong for me.

I thought Sanchez looked a little pissed over the PK too, but surely there's an order, no?

There must be an order and Vidal and Alexis must be 1A and 1B but Arturo just snatched the ball the moment he got off of the floor, maybe he felt entitled because he's the one who took the dive? (It looked like a PK but Vidal went down real, real easy and the defender had his arm around him and the quick movement made it look like Vidal was hooked down)

If the Dutch score holds up, they are in bigging f*cking trouble (currently 0-0). Depay, Blind, van Persie......come on, someone get in!!!!! Huntelaar? Who wants to be a hero!

Wow. Wales knocked off Belgium on a goal from Bale.

I like Belgium, but seeing that Wales will almost never see a World Cup, it's good to see them win. The Dutch finally found the net and beat Latvia. What a tight group that is going to end up being with Iceland and the Czechs playing so well, and that's an Iceland team that lost Aron Johannsson to those damn Yankees.

I was surprised that after the qualifying layoff (I forgot the group standings) that England and Slovakia are the only untied and unbeaten teams left and that 24 teams qualify for Europe and not 13, so the Dutch were in trouble, just not as much trouble as I thought (but are in trouble because they aren't playing well and aren't getting any younger).

I like Manch, am not a fan of Ray Hudson. Every time Messi touches the ball isn't "magisterial".

Where I am BEIN is available in HD (although I don't subscribe to that channel).

I like Belgium, but seeing that Wales will almost never see a World Cup, it's good to see them win. The Dutch finally found the net and beat Latvia. What a tight group that is going to end up being with Iceland and the Czechs playing so well, and that's an Iceland team that lost Aron Johannsson to those damn Yankees.

I was surprised that after the qualifying layoff (I forgot the group standings) that England and Slovakia are the only untied and unbeaten teams left and that 24 teams qualify for Europe and not 13, so the Dutch were in trouble, just not as much trouble as I thought (but are in trouble because they aren't playing well and aren't getting any younger).

As of now, Netherlands would auto qualify as the highest ranked 3rd place team. They wouldn't have to go to the KO stage.

I get why anyone would not like Ray Hudson. For whatever reason the things he says don't annoy me.

Probably goes back to the time that he called the run-up to a goal "smoother than a Newcastle Brown Ale." I'd never heard an announcer drop a Beastie Boysesque analogy like that before.

Probably goes back to the time that he called the run-up to a goal "smoother than a Newcastle Brown Ale." I'd never heard an announcer drop a Beastie Boysesque analogy like that before.

portugal.gif
Jon Champion just referred to Thiago's 2nd yellow as "another misdemeanor", I have never heard that before and I can't wait to use it and pass it off as my own!
red-card-smiley-emoticon.gif

Reactions: LesClaypool
Anyone else ever think about how good Yugoslavia's national team would be if that country hadn't broken apart? Bosnia, Croatia, and Serbia are all very solid...and even tiny Slovenia holds its own against the big boys normally (including today against England).

Super, Super Jack...
Super, Super Jack...
Super, Super Jack...
Super Jackie Wilshere!

Those two shots were incredible and then they decided to cover from 25 yards out. Rooney 48-9 the rest of England's squad. Can anyone else do without Sterling? England needs another striker, Kane perhaps, and a midfield if they are to do anything in France. Where is Ashley Young? Welbeck? Carrick? Kane is with the U-21's.

This Chile/Mexico match has been thrilling! It's 3-3 now. Chile's had two goals called offsides. One was clearly a bad call.

Mexico's B-team playing like champs though against the hosts!

All but official, looks like Arsenal finally has a legit #1 as Petr Cech (and his goalie coach Christophe Lollichon) are headed to the Emirates. Hate it as a Chelsea supporter, but Petr deserves to go where he wanted to go. Sucks b/c he'll get the PL clean sheet record (record is 170 by David James and Cech is currently at 166) as a Gunner as well as make them a legit contender for the league. Was personally hoping he'd go somewhere like PSG (where he was offered ~£150k/wk) rather than stay in the PL then come back as a backup in about 5 years and get the clean sheet record in Chelsea Blue.

All but official, looks like Arsenal finally has a legit #1 as Petr Cech (and his goalie coach Christophe Lollichon) are headed to the Emirates. Hate it as a Chelsea supporter, but Petr deserves to go where he wanted to go. Sucks b/c he'll get the PL clean sheet record (record is 170 by David James and Cech is currently at 166) as a Gunner as well as make them a legit contender for the league. Was personally hoping he'd go somewhere like PSG (where he was offered ~£150k/wk) rather than stay in the PL then come back as a backup in about 5 years and get the clean sheet record in Chelsea Blue.
Cech downplaying it. Not done yet, thats for sure. Hope it happens though. JT saying "Cech will save them 12-15 points a season" is ludicrous though. Ludicrous.

Well, he apparently underwent his "physio", as they like to call it over there, and terms have reputedly been agreed to, so looks like it's a deal. But after watching Ospina last night against Argentina, I wonder if it's the right move.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Well, he apparently underwent his "physio", as they like to call it over there, and terms have reputedly been agreed to, so looks like it's a deal. But after watching Ospina last night against Argentina, I wonder if it's the right move.

I don't mind them bringing in Cech. I just wish they would sell Szczesny instead of Ospina. There is just something about Szczesny that I don't like and I wish the Gunners would get rid of him.

I didn't think of the stupid home grown rule. In that case it makes better sense to keep Szczesny. I just hope next year he either wakes up or another home grown keeper emerges so they can get rid of him. Bottom line is I am not a fan of his.

The latest transfer rumor is Arsenal to pay Juve 21 million Euros for Vidal. Supposedly it is a done deal and it will become official after Copa America. I suppose only time will tell.

I didn't think of the stupid home grown rule. In that case it makes better sense to keep Szczesny. I just hope next year he either wakes up or another home grown keeper emerges so they can get rid of him. Bottom line is I am not a fan of his.

The latest transfer rumor is Arsenal to pay Juve 21 million Euros for Vidal. Supposedly it is a done deal and it will become official after Copa America. I suppose only time will tell.

If true that's a bargain as Vidal should be going for more than double that. Also would mean that Juve missed their window to sell him since they turned down offers of > £35M last summer for him.

Chelsea moves quickly to secure a backup GK. buying Asmir Begovic from Stoke for £8M. Great buy as he's only 28 and at worst the 6th best GK in the PL (as of this posting). Added bonus is that he's homegrown so we pick up an international spot that Cech occupied last campaign.

Sounds more and more likely that Chelsea will (actually) get Falcao on a 1 year loan (have heard £4M loan fee) at £130K/wk -> or just over 1/2 his reported £250K/wk salary.

The more I see of Falcao (ManU and Confederations Cup) the more I'm convinced his time at Atletico was a fluke. He doesn't scare me as a striker at all. Frankly Loic Remy scares me more. Did Chelsea already get rid of him? I know they were rumored to be letting him go. I really wanted Arsenal to grab him when Chelsea signed him last time.

Agreed on falcao.

If barcelona gets pogba i give up. As if the greatest club team in history needs another star. Seriously why woukd Juve help them?

ADVERTISEMENT