ADVERTISEMENT

New FUTBOL thread since the pinned one is broken...

Originally posted by seminoleed:

Originally posted by warriortim:

Also as an aside, for laughs, follow Ole cdowlar on Twitter! He is a hoot on matchdays! Still the embodiment of all manu fans I have encountered!
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Ah, memories. such memories!
I remember him threatening to ban me for not agreeing with his viewpoint! He's Mr. Anytime/180! No matter what is happening he has some sort of spin to explain things.
smokin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by LikeaG5:

Originally posted by warriortim:

Obviously I do not follow the EPL like many of you here on this board BUT serious question for the group? How in the HELL is manu in the top 4 in the Prem? Is the Prem just that watered down that they are 4th? All I see is how bad Falcao and Di Maria have performed, how awful LvG is etc but yet they pull results from their backsides? What gives?
De Gea has own many many undeserved points and not having any European football helps. They have a real tough run in. LVG 10 more years.
I saw a piece online about their next 5 matches or so. Let's hope they drop many points in that time!
wink.r191677.gif

As much as I detest ManU, poster Manch has proven to be an intelligent and fair fan, showing that not all Red Devils are as bad as most of them. Consequently, they've fallen down my hate list behind the Peasants and Hotpants. I think the absence of Sir Whiskey Nose on the sidelines has something to do with that as well.

As much as I detest ManU, poster Manch has proven to be an intelligent and fair fan, showing that not all Red Devils are as bad as most of them. Consequently, they've fallen down my hate list behind the Peasants and Hotpants. I think the absence of Sir Whiskey Nose on the sidelines has something to do with that as well.
Agree 100% ! Manch is an exception to my rule! LOL! The ones I encounter at Pubs and the like down here in my neck of the woods are an absolute collection of twats! The same feelings for Whiskey Nose! He was the Steve Spurrier of World Football to me! Arrogant, Entitled, Pompous, etc, etc and personified that club for anyone who isn't a supporter of the wancs! Moyes was a joy to watch(and cdowlar sang his praises at the off and was lead lynch man after things soured! Shocker!) and I am fully aware of LvG as he managed Bayern! He will fail just as miserably in the end IMO!

For me the wancs still rank at the top of most disliked clubs! Old habits are hard to break in that respect BUT they are closely followed by Borussia Dortmund and Schalke 04! In Germany when these 2 clubs play it is referred to as the Revierderby! For Bayern fans it is referred to as Pest gegen Cholera(The Plague vs. Cholera!). Of course every Bayern fan is to show dislike for 1859+1 as well but they are at the bottom of 2Liga and why bother with dislike for a club that likely won't return to the Bundesliga any time soon!?

United v Arse on Monday!!!! I think this is bigger for LVG and United than it is for Arse, as I don't think United hits the top 4 unless they can start scoring, which has been dreadful. De Gea might be the player of the year.

Liverpool, also fighting for the top 4, are seeking their first hardware since 2006.

United v Arse on Monday!!!! I think this is bigger for LVG and United than it is for Arse, as I don't think United hits the top 4 unless they can start scoring, which has been dreadful. De Gea might be the player of the year.

Liverpool, also fighting for the top 4, are seeking their first hardware since 2006.

I try to be honest and fair, and stay out of the pissing contests of old, but it's tough when a few people pop in every 6 months and shit on United when their team hasn't done shit since 2006. Oh well, get someone to help Rooney up top and this team is tough, the defense has surprisingly been stingy and having de Gea helps, but the D has improved. Di Maria has sucked and Falcoa is no where close to form and van Pussy, has been...well, the van Pussy we all saw at the end of his Arse days.

Honestly, you know what I miss the most is, Rafael coming down the wing and sending in those crosses that set up so many scoring chances (and Vidic roaming the back like a monster).

Originally posted by Manch.:

I actually think it's bigger for The Arsenal, as a result would go against the trend of their performances against big clubs on the road. A draw forcing a replay at the Emirates would be terrific; an outright win at OT would elevate the atmosphere around the club to unparalled heights!

MInd you, I expect neither of those possibilities to happen Monday. I expect a 3-0 beating or so, and the hounds coming after Wenger's hide within 5 minutes of the final whistle.

I try to be honest and fair, and stay out of the pissing contests of old, but it's tough when a few people pop in every 6 months and shit on United when their team hasn't done shit since 2006. Oh well, get someone to help Rooney up top and this team is tough, the defense has surprisingly been stingy and having de Gea helps, but the D has improved. Di Maria has sucked and Falcoa is no where close to form and van Pussy, has been...well, the van Pussy we all saw at the end of his Arse days.

Honestly, you know what I miss the most is, Rafael coming down the wing and sending in those crosses that set up so many scoring chances (and Vidic roaming the back like a monster).

We really are a striker away from being much improved. Falcao and RvP just look like they're stuck in mud. Wonder if Wilson can get a little more action or maybe even plug Januzaj up there (even though I feel he's taken a big step back this season). Speaking of taking steps back, Di Maria has been dreadful. He had a good 4 weeks to start and has gone downhill progressively. Ashley freaking Young has outplayed him by FAR. To be fair, Young has found great form... Di Maria has just been bad. I'm really worried about the last stretch here since mid-table and lower teams have been giving us all we can handle... I really hope we can find a nice groove and stay top 4.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

To be fair to Liverpool, they did win the Capitol One Cup in 2012.

Originally posted by Rishi:

To be fair to Liverpool, they did win the Capitol One Cup in 2012.
You are correct, I forgot about the League Cup, I had just read a FA Cup quarterfinals preview and they said that Liverpool was looking for it's first trophy since 2006, I misread and it was the first FA Cup since 2006.

Evans is banned 6 games for spitting in the direction of Cisse (I honestly think he spat down and not at Cisse, I've done that before out of instinct to spit and a player thought it was towards him), Evans has always been a class player. With that being said, it was extremely stupid on Evans' part to spit at all with a player 18 inches from him.

United has not lost a game this year with Evans in the lineup.

Could Villa be only the 2nd team in history, and what, 2nd time in 4 years that a teams wins the FA Cup and gets relegated in the same season?

Could Villa be only the 2nd team in history, and what, 2nd time in 4 years that a teams wins the FA Cup and gets relegated in the same season?
Technically you'd be right, but I'd change it to 2nd time in 3 years as Wigan won the FA Cup and were relegated in 2013.
smile.r191677.gif

That being said, I wouldn't put a penny on anyone other than Arsenal/United or Liverpool to win the trophy (as of this writing).

Spurs back in the UCL race as they pass the Saints to move into 6th place with their win over QPR today. Only 3 points behind United for 4th (with Liverpool right only 2 points out of 4th). United has a large gap in GD at this time so that might end up helping them (or could be irrelevant).

I know United has a most formidable schedule of the 3 with fixtures left against City (h), Spurs (h), Liverpool (a), Chelsea (a), Everton (a) and Arsenal (h) remaining with possibilities of an extra game for the FA Cup semifinal (should they beat Arsenal on Monday).

Liverpool still has Chelsea (a), United (h), and Arsenal (a) along with an FA Cup semifinal date (assuming they win on Sunday).

Spurs has United (a), Southampton (a), City (h) and Everton (h) -> no additional fixtures as out of both Europa and FA Cup.

I'll include Arsenal in the discussion here as they're place in the top 4 is by no means all locked up. The Gunners still have Liverpool (h), Chelsea (h), United (a) plus 1 UCL game (would take the performance of the year by the Gunners to get through IMO) and possibilities of a FA Cup semifinal (is they win on Monday).

I'll ask WarriorTim this (since you're a Bundesliga first guy), do you think that BVB can make up the 9 points (10 points if Leverkusan win on Sunday) with 10 games to go to reach the top 4 and at least make the UCL qualifications? Also, do you believe Klopp stays if they don't make UCL for 2015/6? Asking b/c I'm sure Manchester City will come knocking this off season (regardless of BVB's UCL standing).

Rishi, you are right, I thought Wigan won, then City and then Arse, so thought would be the 4th year.

BVB has 29 points, is in 10th place and still can make the UCL? I need to find the watered down comment on the BPL........
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Arte et Labore! Go Riversiders!!!!

Originally posted by Rishi:

Technically you'd be right, but I'd change it to 2nd time in 3 years as Wigan won the FA Cup and were relegated in 2013.
smile.r191677.gif

That being said, I wouldn't put a penny on anyone other than Arsenal/United or Liverpool to win the trophy (as of this writing).

Spurs back in the UCL race as they pass the Saints to move into 6th place with their win over QPR today. Only 3 points behind United for 4th (with Liverpool right only 2 points out of 4th). United has a large gap in GD at this time so that might end up helping them (or could be irrelevant).

I know United has a most formidable schedule of the 3 with fixtures left against City (h), Spurs (h), Liverpool (a), Chelsea (a), Everton (a) and Arsenal (h) remaining with possibilities of an extra game for the FA Cup semifinal (should they beat Arsenal on Monday).

Liverpool still has Chelsea (a), United (h), and Arsenal (a) along with an FA Cup semifinal date (assuming they win on Sunday).

Spurs has United (a), Southampton (a), City (h) and Everton (h) -> no additional fixtures as out of both Europa and FA Cup.

I'll include Arsenal in the discussion here as they're place in the top 4 is by no means all locked up. The Gunners still have Liverpool (h), Chelsea (h), United (a) plus 1 UCL game (would take the performance of the year by the Gunners to get through IMO) and possibilities of a FA Cup semifinal (is they win on Monday).

I'll ask WarriorTim this (since you're a Bundesliga first guy), do you think that BVB can make up the 9 points (10 points if Leverkusan win on Sunday) with 10 games to go to reach the top 4 and at least make the UCL qualifications? Also, do you believe Klopp stays if they don't make UCL for 2015/6? Asking b/c I'm sure Manchester City will come knocking this off season (regardless of BVB's UCL standing).

I would've said yes they can since bvb had turned their form it seemed but a scoreless draw at Hamburg makes me doubt it. They're just too erratic with their defensive lapses and lack of consistent goal scoring. I'd also be shocked if he left Dortmund regardless of who comes after him and with how much $$. We will see what happens but that's my thoughts.

I have to drive this afternoon during the Arsenal/Mancs. Looking forward to listening to it on the radio. It's a fun experience.

That said, my prediction is Mancs 2-1 Arsenal.

A draw would be a spectacular result.

I don't see any chance that Arsenal wins.

Originally posted by LesClaypool:
I have to drive this afternoon during the Arsenal/Mancs. Looking forward to listening to it on the radio. It's a fun experience.

That said, my prediction is Mancs 2-1 Arsenal.

A draw would be a spectacular result.

I don't see any chance that Arsenal wins.
I struggle listening to United/soccer on the radio. They don't give the score often enough, and you almost never know when a goal is scored.

The announcers will get all excited and crazy, and 15 seconds later, we find out that there wasn't a goal, or the announcers will be calm "Scholes, to Giggs, Giggs pushes it in to Cantonaaaaaaaa. What a beautiful effort by Cantona on a great pass from Giggs..........." 38 minutes later it's halftime...."and with Cantona's goal, United it up 1-0"..... WTF, they never said the score nor that Cantona scored, that it was a "great effort"................
laugh.r191677.gif

Not so sure it's a fun experience, but more a frustrating experience! Thank God I have a hot spot box and can bring the tablet along now for most games. The video is about 2 minutes behind the radio, so sometimes I get a heads up that a goal might be coming, if the friggin announcers let is know that a goal was actually scored.

Bleh. Happens every time United wastes their chances.

At least United is showing signs of life and aren't lethargic like they have been. Arse is pretty tough when holding a lead.

And somehow, The Arsenal have punished me for my fickleness. Game winner for a fabulous return to Old Trafford by Welbeck, and De Maria idiotically gets himself tossed after diving, then grabbing the center's shirt to bitch. 2-1 to The Arsenal, and I am ecstatic. Truth be told, this could have been worse--DeGea played lights out, making a save on Cazorla that was brilliant, and Ozil missed an open net in extra time.

Manch, do you think the manager is now in hot water if they don't make the Top 4? Same results Moyes got with less money spent?

And now they get the winner of the Reading/Bradford City replay in the semis. Possibly sets up the Peasants and the Gunners in the finals.

Hoofchester United. What a horrible diving lot they are. Think Warren Barton said if not for De Gea they would be midtable. Finally agree on him with something. All that money and route 1 long ball.

And now they get the winner of the Reading/Bradford City replay in the semis. Possibly sets up the Peasants and the Gunners in the finals.
Let's hope for a Arsenal/Liverpool final. While eg. last year's game was exciting with top v bottom type game, I like seeing two big teams in the finals (at least every couple of years). Plus will help England with their coefficient for European football as having eg. Hull in there does nothing for them.

EDIT: plus would like to see Stevie G. get one more shot at Wembly (I'm talking finals not semis). Would be fun to see if he implodes or rises up in his last (meaningful) game in England. Unless of course he pulls a Lamps.
This post was edited on 3/10 4:46 AM by Rishi

Manch, do you think the manager is now in hot water if they don't make the Top 4? Same results Moyes got with less money spent?
History with LVG is that his team's haven't done well the first year, so if they miss the top 4, I think he sticks around for at least another year. There are a few games that United drew when they should have won, and if I take 3 games (Leicester being one of them) where a goal a game is added, that's 7 points added to the total and they could be right in the mix of things. I just can't believe they can't find the net. Falcoa has missed at least 3 open netters and he is not healthy and Van Persie has been pouting since last year, that or he just doesn't give a shit and his confidence is lost. Not having Rafael making runs on the wing and not getting those crosses has been huge, but it never gets mentioned, heck he was a winger on defense. That's the first thing I would change and that's to get him involved in the offense. Probably makes no sense to anyone else, but he was huge on the overlapping runs.

2015/16 starts their new contract with Adidas that pays $70 million a year (outrageous money, even Nike said no thanks to matching it), just for Adidas, and that doesn't include the insane amount that Chevy is paying, but if United doesn't make the UCL, I think the Adidas contract gets cut by 30%, so losing UCL money and then part of the Adidas contract will have anyone's job on the hot seat.

I don't get it, United has missed more "sitters" than I have seen. Young is playing great, but Januzay looks good but is really indecisive when finishing... passing when he should shoot and shooting when he should be passing. If they can compliment Rooney up top, they will be OK. I am just lost at them not being able to find the net.

Great game yesterday and it doesn't bother me at all that Welbeck scored the winner, heck, after Valencia's assist, anyone could have scored, that was an open net "sitter", it's not like Welbeck was showing us what a talent he is.

I remember de Gea's first year, and it was more shakier than Howard's and the press killed United for signing him. At this moment, he has played the best in the world (I did not say he is the best, I said he has been playing the best) and I think United needs to lock him up long term right now. I wouldn't sell him for $50 million because there is no one out there that will be available who can replace him, and his value has added 15 points or so to the table.

A few years ago, I would have been beside myself with the lack of results they have produced, but life happens and there are more important things going on right now that puts this into life's perspective.

I do find it funny that a few Liverpool fans are never around when Liverpool is tanking, but a few wins and a poor United result and here comes the trolling. They are Gator fans dressed in red.

Wow! Mancs everywhere must be thankful they have De Gea! Without him, I think that'd been 4:1 or so. Shocking defense on the back pass! That's Sunday league stuff there! Moyes was better and did it without spending millions on players that clearly seem to be collecting a huge weekly paycheck for nothing. Top 4 for them in their current form seems like a pipe dream!

well Real is in a horrible slump so not surprised it was a good game, but I am surprised it was the game of the CL season so far. Really amazing game.
Casillas, Bale and many Real players and Ancelotti didn't deserve to advance. I can't stress how horribly Casillas and Bale have been this season. Lots of mistakes to go around the back, but Bale going forward is an attack killer.

With Modric back maybe Real can start to look decent again but I think it's too late this year, injuries and Ancelotti's stubbornness at that awful 4-3-3 has killed them.

Nice effort by Schalke, they played their hearts out.

Ronaldo finally gets a few with his head but continues to get no service to his feet, again hopefully Modric can get healthy and james can get back soon to change that. If not, Real won't get past the Quarters.

Ancelotti hot seat is now must win the Classico i'd say as they've given away La Liga the last month vs poor teams.

I wouldn't call any game where both teams are allergic to D a great game. It was a great game for those that like watching tennis on a 100 yard pitch.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

If it was anyone other than Hoewdes who got that chance there in added time, Schalke likely advance. I would've loved to seen that game if Schalke could've held on to the 2-1 lead going into the half rather than the 2-2 it was after Ronaldo's 2nd.

Going to be very interested to see who Uncle Carlo puts out there when they have a fit squad (at it should be by the next rd of UCL fixtures). Ditto for El Classico on March 22nd.

I'm very nervous for (now) today's game b/w Chelsea and PSG. I think a lot of people forget that Zlatan didn't play when PSG lost at Stamford Bridge last year. He looked like his bullying best in the first leg, luckily he didn't have his finishing boots with him.

Bayern I suspect with bull Shaktar off the pitch (an actual pitch this time not the pasture they had to play in the first leg).

With Ronaldo having tied Messi at the top of the all time UCL scoring list, I suspect City will faced with a very determined Messi in the return leg next week.

As a neutral, I have to say the BVB/Juve tie's 2nd leg is probably the most intriguing one next week although Atletico will definitely have to play better than they did in the 1st leg is they want to get through as well. I've written off both City and Arsenal, stranger things have happened, but not much stranger.

I'll be surprised if PSG does much today after that flat first half at home. Zlatan isn't known for his away scoring record in big CL games. And how about this amazing line after last game.
Reporter: do you feel pressure to score and win in England next leg? Z "no, I already scored a hat trick in England"

Bayern easy win im sure like Barca next week.

I'm intrigued by dortmund juve as you mentioned but don't see either team getting past the big teams so that matchup has lost some appeal. Dortmund fans should want a loss to be fresher for that relegation battle. 6 Pts out now have some breathing room.

I'm more interested in Bayer at Atletico tactics, and to see what Wenger does after knowing he'll need to do what Schalke did which is pretty unrealistic.

Bayern played on a corn field and with 10 men the last 30 min of that match and it ended 0:0. If Bayern can get at them early and get a goal or 2 I think 4:0 FCB. The longer it remains scoreless the nervier it will be. Of course any scoring draw and we are out so we have to outscore them. Lahm is back in the 18 man squad today for the 1st time since last November but I am doubtful Pep would risk him this soon. Hoping Pep returns to the 4-2-3-1.

Great night for football when the plastic rent boys crash out parking the bus a man up. Costa is really made for that side as well.

Psg the cowardly lions finally find some courage, great effort.

Costa. Wow. I've been watching that for years in Spain so glad EPL fans seeing who that psycho is. Should have had a red and several yellows.
Big mistakes by ivanovic and terry on goals.

Zlatan red was a joke, he actually got spiked worse but Oscar cried better.

Wow is chelsea easy to dislike.

Shocking stuff but highly entertaining finish after a boring first 75.

Originally posted by kooterridesagain:
Psg the cowardly lions finally find some courage, great effort.

Costa. Wow. I've been watching that for years in Spain so glad EPL fans seeing who that psycho is. Should have had a red and several yellows.
Big mistakes by ivanovic and terry on goals.

Zlatan red was a joke, he actually got spiked worse but Oscar cried better.

Wow is chelsea easy to dislike.

Shocking stuff but highly entertaining finish after a boring first 75.

The Ibra red was soft, Costa not getting tossed was soft, the Silva handball for a PK was soft..... and ya, Chelsea was soft.

I am going to punch someone if they make me watch another soccer f*cking game with my wife sitting here and me having to fill her in on the away goal concept for 120 f*cking minutes and THEN she asks how come there was no penalty kick shootout. WTF!!!!! Arrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh. I specifically told her 100 f*cking times that if ANYONE scores in the OT, the shootout is null and void and because of the away goals factor........

Manch,
That's hilarious, and familiar with my ex. I admit the aggregate is odd for those not used to it.

I wish Zlatan had a reality show he's just hilarious

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT