ADVERTISEMENT

New FUTBOL thread since the pinned one is broken...

Originally posted by kooterridesagain:
Psg the cowardly lions finally find some courage, great effort.

Costa. Wow. I've been watching that for years in Spain so glad EPL fans seeing who that psycho is. Should have had a red and several yellows.
Big mistakes by ivanovic and terry on goals.

Zlatan red was a joke, he actually got spiked worse but Oscar cried better.

Wow is chelsea easy to dislike.

Shocking stuff but highly entertaining finish after a boring first 75.

Posted from Rivals Mobile

Agree with all of this summary except the Thiago Silva handball PK decision in AET. You can't throw your arms up and at the ball while trying to jump and defend your man. I couldn't believe he did that and the look on his face was one of "did I really just go that?!" I only got to see the extra time as I was watching FCB! Heard it was a snoozer, seen all of the earlier controversy etc on highlights! Costa is a complete moron! No idea why Chelsea chose to sit back up a man?! Saw match stats and PSG had 51% of the ball while a man down from around the 30th min?! That's laughable! I must say it isn't a sad thing to see Mourinho's tactics exposed! I've also heard talk that PSG would've lost if Zlatan had remained on the pitch! Not sure I buy that but I do understand where it's coming from. I'd like to see PSG v Real Madrid next round! On to next week! Looking forward to BVB at home and also seeing the effort Arsenal give away to Monaco down 2 goals!

Originally posted by GriffDog1:
Agree with all of this summary except the Thiago Silva handball PK decision in AET. You can't throw your arms up and at the ball while trying to jump and defend your man. I couldn't believe he did that and the look on his face was one of "did I really just go that?!"
Tim, I agree, you are correct and even though the ball skimmed off of his hand, it's still a PK. I have seen shots that were directly off of a player's arm and they ref waived it off because there was no intent, but with his hands up over his head, it was a good call, one of the few that was made with 20 minutes left in regulation.

Very happy w/Arsenal's performance today vs a West Ham.

Can't believe City lost to Burnley?!
confused0024.r191677.gif

Originally posted by LesClaypool:

confused0024.r191677.gif
This is definitely some good news for this Chelsea supporter following the PSG debacle Wednesday. If the Blues get 3 points later this morning vs. Southampton, a double is indeed looking very promising as they'd be eight points clear of Citeh with still one more match to play. Actually, as well as the Arsenal is playing, the Gooners might be more of a threat at this point.

Originally posted by NoleLizards:

confused0024.r191677.gif
This is definitely some good news for this Chelsea supporter following the PSG debacle Wednesday. If the Blues get 3 points later this morning vs. Southampton, a double is indeed looking very promising as they'd be eight points clear of Citeh with still one more match to play. Actually, as well as the Arsenal is playing, the Gooners might be more of a threat at this point.
IMO if Chelsea don't win the league they should fire their entire team and coaching staff. While they don't necessarily have the depth to compete in all these competitions this year, there is no way they should finish below the top spot in EPL, especially since they already have a lead and games in hand.

Originally posted by FSUdawg:

confused0024.r191677.gif
IMO if Chelsea don't win the league they should fire their entire team and coaching staff. While they don't necessarily have the depth to compete in all these competitions this year, there is no way they should finish below the top spot in EPL, especially since they already have a lead and games in hand.
You say that, but this particular Chelsea squad is not ever going to make anything easy for themselves. Once again, the Blues blow a lead on their home pitch. This was something that was extremely rare not too long ago but has now become a regular occurrence. Chelsea completely dominated the 2nd half today but once again are perplexed by the concept of actually placing the ball in the back of the net.

As great as Rooney's celebration was, even better, was Mourinho's press conference!. I couldn't stop laughing!

The knockout was staged, if you watch the video, he got hit with kind of a backhand jab, real soft hit. The video itself cuts off when he lays down. The joke among the players is that in boxing, you don't get a PK in boxing for diving.

Rooney video

Thanks for posting that.

Nothing about that video looks fake to me though.

It wasn't all that soft of a hit and he definitely didn't lay down.

I've seen where Rooney's wife came out and said it was staged, but I don't believe it was, after seeing the video.

Either way, Phil Bardsley's name recognition went through the roof in one 40-second video!

Funny regardless. If you've ever boxed with friends you know a knockout can happen unexpectedly, but no idea if that's real in this case.

Back to epl, everton played their best game in 6 months to finally go 6 points from relegation.

Liverpool has huge games vs mdn United and arsenal if they want to make CL they must win them.

Chelsea I pray keeps dropping points to make it a race in April

Originally posted by FSUdawg:

confused0024.r191677.gif
According to the odds at the start of the season the big 6 were going to finish in the following order;

1. Chelsea
2. City
3. Manure
4. Arsenal
5. LFC
6. Spurs

To this point the predictions are pretty close. Even whilst Chelsea have been boring, City underachieving and Pelligrini to be sacked, Manure ordinary/lucky and Arsenal inconsistent.

I have to say I'm proud of the way The Arsenal played today. They could have mailed it in, as the mountain they were climbing had never been scaled, but they came close. The lads never quit.

Without the TERRIBLE yellow against Sanchez in the box, we may have gone through.

Very proud of how hard they played though. One of the most inspired performances I've seen from the Goons in years.

Over the last few weeks arsenal is playing gorgeous football. What took so long this season it's nearly over?

Chelsea can only dream of playing attractive footbsll but then again that doesn't win trophies in EPL

Over the last few weeks arsenal is playing gorgeous football. What took so long this season it's nearly over?

Chelsea can only dream of playing attractive footbsll but then again that doesn't win trophies in EPL

You know this is something I hear or read about the beautiful style or game of football! I understand the position but to me what's so beautiful about this game is that managers/teams can tactically effect outcomes/results! There is something beautiful to me that a manager and team can collectively implement tactics whether they be resolute and compact defending or all out attacking! And I said this after Chelsea beat Bayern in Munich in the CL Final! Styles of play can vary based upon the quality of the team or the opponent you are facing! I love and respect that part of the game but realize it can be frustrating! :)

Everton embarrassed 5-2 in Ukraine.

Martinez should be fired by morning, only 6 points from relegation after finally getting a win last week. Horrendous season everyone wants out this summer

Originally posted by warriortim:

You know this is something I hear or read about the beautiful style or game of football! I understand the position but to me what's so beautiful about this game is that managers/teams can tactically effect outcomes/results! There is something beautiful to me that a manager and team can collectively implement tactics whether they be resolute and compact defending or all out attacking! And I said this after Chelsea beat Bayern in Munich in the CL Final! Styles of play can vary based upon the quality of the team or the opponent you are facing! I love and respect that part of the game but realize it can be frustrating! :)
I feel compelled to defend my Blues here a bit. Yes, Mourinho will play this unattractive defensive style you speak of at times, but Chelsea is also capable of playing some beautiful football when they put their minds to it. Just this past Sunday against Southampton, for instance, they played a tremendous 2nd half offensively but just couldn't get the ball in the net!
mad.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/19 5:07 PM by NoleLizards

CL Draw
PSG v Barca
Atletico v Real
Porto v Bayern
Juventus v Monaco

PSG play Barca for the 4th straight year! Home first leg sides are listed first! Looking forward to the 1st legs on 14/15 April and especially looking forward to attending the Home leg for FCB!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

The one team that owns Real because Ancelotti plays into their hands. Uggg, maybe he'll finally switch to a 4-4-2 for that matchup and have a chance.

Barcelons Psg should be fun

Munich and juventus easy draws

Real currently have more issues that are impacting them other than tactical formations. Not saying they won't get it right again but they should be out of the CL after the match home to Schalke. They were dominated other than Ronaldo saving them they'd be out. Schalke hit the post and had an open net miss etc. They were fortunate but that can be said for other clubs as well at points of the season. I think on paper the draws appear easier and I agree but I think Monaco and Porto are better than most here credit them for. They each have some quality.

Also, biggest impact of yesterday's matches, The Bundesliga has now passed the Prem in UEFA Coefficient based on Everton going out to Kiev and Wolfsburg advancing in Europa League.
smokin.r191677.gif

Congrats bundesliga! It's been a long time coming.

Modric back should help Real now, if James can return too that'll be huge before quarters. Cr7 has had miserable luck the last two months, he nearly scored 5 goals last game and ended with 0. Two posts and a bale tap in off him and two unreal saves. He's due for an explosion. This is his worst run of form in 5 years in la liga. Will see how classico goes sunday but I never expect to get a call at the nou camp.

it's true they've struggled all over the field and ancelotti hasn't changed anything. Casillas and the center backs have been miserable.

Porto does have a few players, I think Monaco is junk and was the only draw juventus would be big favorites in.

Btw, half quarterfinal CL is on Mondays? What's that about

Qatar November 2022! Just sounds wrong

Wasn't Zlatan sent off vs Chelsea?

Guessing he'll miss the first leg vs Barca then, no?
That is correct. He will miss the home leg of the tie.

Bummer. No Zlatan = no fun to watch PSG. Also no chance to beat Barca w/out him.

Zlatan is like Mike Tyson, both pre- and post- ear biting incident, at the same time...a batshit crazy knockout artist.

All good! I was watching the Draw this AM praying for FCB to be drawn 2nd for each pairing as they were drawn! If they had been drawn first I'd have missed the tie! I will still be stateside during the 1st rounds. Now that they are confirmed as the return leg on 21 Apr I have already have my category 1(best seats!) for that match in addition to the home Buli match on 25 Apr secured! Going to be great to see these in person. Been to the WC in 1994 but the Champions League has been a dream for a long time as has the Bundesliga.

Should be trip of a lifetime!

Psg will need Lavezzi to wake up and Cavani to take his chances, but as we saw they are somewhat formidable defensively without Zlatan, though barcelona is a way better team. The guy on Psg I don't get is the italian Veretti I think his name. He is so weak on the ball and poor at tackling he really stuck out vs chelsea. Curious if they alternate tactics to not expose him as much

At this point of the CL, I will say there is no more "easy" draw, just ask Arsenal.

I can take the soft red on Zlatan when it happened, but now PSG is screwed in the first tie against Barca. I wish UEFA had some type of system where appeals can be heard and actually won, just like Fletcher's phantom red a few years back. PSG got lucky against Chelsea when Chelsea decided to park the bus, Barca won't do that, and all though PSG will be at full strength, they are in trouble, but the first tie is in Paris, correct?

Isn't Veretti out of the first tie for PSG, also?

Tim, your posts get tiresome whenn you use "mancs" all the time (
wink.r191677.gif
), but I hope you enjoy your trip! I don't care if I saw Monaco and Juvi live, what an experience it is going to be! Have fun!

Yeah first leg in Paris.
I agree the appeal should exist and be easy to execute for Ibra.

I am glad they wipe yellows now after quarters. Only 3 yellows in 12 CL games seems ridiculous to suspend for finals.

Your right on Veretti he's out first leg!
The drama queen Dani Alves might be too but I'm not sure can't find the site that used to list foul accumulation. Hate the Uefa site.

Ibra should miss both legs (UCL straight reds are 2 match bans) as it was a violent conduct straight red not a last man back or 2 yellows = red sending off.

Originally posted by Rishi:

Ibra should miss both legs (UCL straight reds are 2 match bans) as it was a violent conduct straight red not a last man back or 2 yellows = red sending off.
It was announced a few days ago he was given a 1 game suspension by UEFA. No way that foul warrants a 2 match ban anyways but that's another story.

Huge matchup today for United against Liverpool. I'd be happy with event a draw here since Liverpool has been playing so well.

No Stevie G in the starting XI in his last match against United. I'm super happy that LVG has kept the same lineup and hopefully the continuity helps today!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT