ADVERTISEMENT

New rock music suggestions

nolesincebirth

Contributor
Apr 15, 2003
Looking to add some new music to my playlists. Typically I like the following (this is what I have, a general type I'm looking for):

Halestorm (I dig Lzzy Hale)
Drop kick Murphys
Volbeat
Seether
Shinedown
Foo fighters
AIC

Etc. I think that gives a general idea of the genre

Posted from Rivals Mobile

Devin Townsend Project if you like the heavy stuff. Find some of the stuff he's done with Anneke Van Giersbergen. She adds a really cool dimension that's uncommon in this genre.

Animals as Leaders if you dig heavy with a good bit of prog metal.

Scale the Summit if you're in to prog at all.

If you're in to hardcore you have to check out Sick of it All.

Porcupine Tree is a great blend of some heavy stuff with a strong Pink Floyd influence.

Arch/Matheos is probably my favorite right now, along with DTP.

I guess I'm on much more of a prog streak than I thought!

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Good suggestions so far. Rob, I'll check out some of what you suggested but I think it may be a bit harder than what I typically prefer. But, I'm always open to new stuff. Generally, about as heavy as I go is something like avenged sevenfold.

Originally posted by nolesincebirth:
Good suggestions so far. Rob, I'll check out some of what you suggested but I think it may be a bit harder than what I typically prefer. But, I'm always open to new stuff. Generally, about as heavy as I go is something like avenged sevenfold.
All those I think would be comparable if you like Avenged Sevenfold. It's all quite melodic, but has a nice aggressive streak to it.

Here is Devin Townsend

Tosin Abasi from Animals as Leaders (very heady stuff. You may have to be a bit of guitar geek like me to appreciate it.)

Scale the Summit (more guitar geekdom)

Arch / Matheos - Drummer is Bobby Jarzombek - UNREAL drummer.

BTW if you're in to Dropkick Murphys checkout Flogging Molly. Lots of good celt-type bands in that genre.

Love these guys - Sick of it All

And for purposes of reaching back in to the way-back machine, Suicidal is never a bad choice.

Can't forget Porcupine Tree

This post was edited on 4/17 11:12 AM by NoleRob

There's a festival coming up at a little place near where I live; on their website they have various compilations - some of acts that have played there in prior years, one that consists of bands that are playing at the upcoming festival. Pretty good listening. If the link doesn't work you can go to orangeblossomjamboree.com and link from there.

Orange Blossom Radio

Another one that's really good, but COMPLETELY different than what I listed above is Blackberry Smoke.

They've got a little Hank Williams, a little Allman Brothers, and a little Lynyrd Skynyrd. Really good music. Really good.

This post was edited on 4/17 11:43 AM by NoleRob

Originally posted by NoleRob:
Another one that's really good, but COMPLETELY different than what I listed above is Blackberry Smoke.

They've got a little Hank Williams, a little Allman Brothers, and a little Lynyrd Skynyrd. Really good music. Really good.

They are very, very good. Had a friend send me a recording of their show from Wanee a couple of years ago that is top notch stuff.

In this moment I can't decide if I am completely turned on or more scared by the singer but I am hooked.

Mastodon's newest album is both great and more accessible than some of their old stuff
The Motherload

I second Ronnie's DBT suggestion, I'd start with "The Big To-do"

The Lawrence Arms deserve a mention if you're into Chicago punk.

If you like Tool, I would suggest Soen. Tool meets Opeth.
https://youtu.be/TknvKdgt5Tc

For some really great live funky hard rock, I'd suggest Electric Mary
https://youtu.be/qvmdZScEVKA

For some Janes Addiction/Korn/Smashing Pumpkins vibe, I'd suggest David Silveria's (Korn's ex-drummer) new band Infinika.
https://youtu.be/CeNj8SancMc

Arch Matheos has been one of my favs since they came out. Jarzombek is my favorite drummer since about 1998. Saw him live with Fates Warning (without John Arch) and he did not disappoint. Here's a cut of him playing an incredible piece by Zierler, which is yet to be released.
https://youtu.be/WJY_iCIPkYo

Originally posted by SeaPA:

Another one that's really good, but COMPLETELY different than what I listed above is
Blackberry Smoke.

They are very, very good. Had a friend send me a recording of their show from Wanee a couple of years ago that is top notch stuff.
I second this. Saw these guys with ZBB a couple of years ago, very good live. I think you will like them if you are in to southern rock like I am.

Devin Townsend Project if you like the heavy stuff. Find some of the stuff he's done with Anneke Van Giersbergen. She adds a really cool dimension that's uncommon in this genre.

Animals as Leaders if you dig heavy with a good bit of prog metal.

Scale the Summit if you're in to prog at all.

If you're in to hardcore you have to check out Sick of it All.

Porcupine Tree is a great blend of some heavy stuff with a strong Pink Floyd influence.

Arch/Matheos is probably my favorite right now, along with DTP.

I guess I'm on much more of a prog streak than I thought!

Dang. Heavy Prog here. Love it. Matheos has been making great great music for awhile now.
Animals As Leaders is awesome too. Crap. All you mentioned is top notch to me.

Reactions: NoleRob
Pop Evil..Im a huge Shinedown fan and these guys are unreal..Especially the latest album Onyx..Listen to the song Flawed. Wow.

Others I have are Alice in Chains, Chevelle, Three Days Grace (old stuff), and Breaking Benjamin.

Originally posted by nolesincebirth:
Originally posted by Manch.:
Winery Dogs.

I've never heard of these guys but I really like what I've heard so far.

Good suggestions here everyone, I appreciate it. I'm now updating my playlist.
Winery Dogs is a three man band consisting of old timers Mike Portnoy on drums (one of the world's best drummers), Billy Sheehan (Mr. Big and David Lee Roth's first band he put together, which was pretty solid) on bass and Richie Kotzen on lead vocals and guitar (Kotzen was formally with Poison and Mr. Big).

Dang. Heavy Prog here. Love it. Matheos has been making great great music for awhile now.
Animals As Leaders is awesome too. Crap. All you mentioned is top notch to me.

I'm a fan of Matheos, just never got used to, or cared much for Fates Warning without Arch. IMO it was a completely different band.

I'm a fan of Matheos, just never got used to, or cared much for Fates Warning without Arch. IMO it was a completely different band.

They are definitely a different band! I actually prefer their style on APSOG and disconnected to their earlier work. Funny, when they very first came out and Soldier Boy was on one of those Metal Massacre compilations, my friends and I thought that Arch sounded like Bruce Dickinson, and that they were just trying to copy Iron Maiden. They really developed their own style through the years. One of my favorite bands.

Black Keys
The War on Drugs (new favorite band)
Hozier (Outside of Take me to Church, his album has a blues/folk feel)

@NoleRob - Have you ever checked out Matheos solo work? Quite different. More organic but still complex. Here's one of my favs off his solo work.

Reactions: NoleRob
ADVERTISEMENT