ADVERTISEMENT

NFL teams are dumb

TheTruth_

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Sep 30, 2002
How many years will it take for them to learn that MOBILE QB don't win consistently or stay healthy I mean really. You would think they would of learned this lesson by now

This post was edited on 3/4 10:18 PM by TheTruth_

Well technically that's not true. Aaron Rodgers is mobile and so is Russell Wilson. Pocket passers that are mobile do win.

Now "dual threat" QBs that are not pocket passers do not win consistently.

Originally posted by Pox2:

Well technically that's not true. Aaron Rodgers is mobile and so is Russell Wilson. Pocket passers that are mobile do win.

I agree. Pocket passers who are mobile do win. Dual threat equals short careers with little to no success.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by TheTruth_:
How many years will it take for them to learn that MOBILE QB don't win consistently or stay healthy I mean really. You would think they would of learned this lesson by now

It's not being dumb but arrogant. NFL is loaded with QB gurus who always think they can fix or improve any QB.

Just a few years ago we were told the future of the league would be guys like RG3 and Collin K, but right now both look to have major flaws in their game because they are not good passers. It's always good to be able to move in the pocket, but you better be an accurate part and be able to run a NFL offense.

Totally agree and if Chip Kelly mortgages the farm to get MM, he may regret his decision.

It's funny that Colin K was able to leverage 1 game (playoff game against GB) to a huge contract but has been pedestrian since.

Everybody loves Chip Kelly for his innovative offense, but in his history of college and pro coaching, what has he won?

Chris Carter has said it best, there are no old running QB's in the league.

Wasn't Steve Young considered to be a mobile QB? He took his lumps but lasted in the league quite a while. If you are the coach or front office I imagine you don't want to see your QB take chances with contact, but there are some examples where mobile QBs have managed to stay on the field. Farve was a QB that could move around a lot as I recall. Dan Marino too. Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust kidding on that one :)

Originally posted by Pox2:

Yep. The phrase "mobile QB" kind of has to be described in more detail to understand exactly what he is talking about. Young and Elway were certainly mobile QBs who were winners. McNabb and McNair never won a SB, but both were mobile QBs who certainly had a lot of success. And Wilson is obviously mobile, and Rodgers is as well, and even Andrew Luck. Newton hasnt won yet, but I think he has shown that he can play in the NFL, and he is certainly mobile.

Steve McNair was not a mobile QB. He was a pocket passer all the way. I think you're confusing black w/mobile.

Elway was mobile early in his career but not at all at the end.

Steve Young was absolutely a mobile QB though. No disputing that.

Originally posted by LesClaypool:
Steve McNair was not a mobile QB. He was a pocket passer all the way. I think you're confusing black w/mobile.

Elway was mobile early in his career but not at all at the end.

What? I live in Nashville and am Titans fan and McNair was most certainly a mobile QB, and it has nothing to do with his race. He is the 6th all time leading rusher for QBs with over 3500 rushing yards. He ran for 674 yards one season, 559 one season, and over 400 in 3 different seasons. I think you have him confused with someone else. Cunningham, Young, and Vick are the only 3 modern QBs with more rushing yards than McNair. And Elway ran for 218 yards his 2nd to last season, so he was still a guy who could run pretty well late in his career.

This post was edited on 4/6 9:55 PM by Cubs79

Maybe you're right, Cubs.

I certainly don't remember him nor think of him as a mobile QB, but it's hard to argue the stats you've offerd up.

Originally posted by TheTruth_:

You'd think they would'f, yes.

It's simple:

Good to great passers who "can" run when necessary win. Mediocre to weak passers who "have" to run because they can't throw it don't win.

That is what is the difference between Winston and Mariotta for example. Winston "can" tuck it and run and make a play with his feet when he has to but he'd rather stand in the pocket and fling it whereas Mariota has been one read and if not open run. Those QB's don't win and get hurt.

Young only played 3 complete 16 game regular seasons.

He was in the league for a while but was only a starting QB in one of his first 6 years, year 2 in TB. So he had the benefit of sitting the bench and collecting checks rather than concussions.

But I agree w/ the overall subject of the thread. Mobility is great, and in today's NFL unless you're named Brady or Manning, it's almost a necessity, but mobility alone is not enough - you HAVE to be a proficient passer. Guys like Wilson, Rogers, Luck, Roethlisburger are all successful because they can buy time in order to throw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT