ADVERTISEMENT

NHL Playoff Thread

Haha hey maybe slight homer. But it's still better than following a BU guy.

I went to UNH and BC would refer to UNH as University of No Hardware!
crying-with-laughter.gif

I went to UNH and BC would refer to UNH as University of No Hardware!
crying-with-laughter.gif
Trust me I know. My grandfather finally settled Bedford and I have many cousins in the Manchester area. One of whom is graduating from UNH this weekend. Due to a uncle who used to hate college hockey until his son when there I enjoyed watching UNH impotence in the frozen four because they would always call and brag how good they are. I grew up watching hockey east on Friday nights on NESN, alone with those late 80's and early 90's Bruins I have some great memories.

I got home from the game last night around midnight and I think I went to bed around 1 a.m. Back up for work at 5. I'm running on fumes now and I'm about to crash for the night.

I was worried that losing Callahan would hurt us but Jonathan Marchessault played a great game. He was one of the last guys sent back to Syracuse after the pre-season because he was playing so well and was simply a victim of numbers.

Awesome stuff tonight, game 7 overtime. Sudden, season-ending death for one team, sudden hero-status for whoever scores the winner.

Rangers win. And the NY fans are chanting "We Want Tampa"....sounds good to me!

Well they are gonna get Tampa! Should be an interesting series. I think the Bolts match up pretty good with the Rangers, but would have like to have home ice. With many connections between these teams it should be fun. You have Brian Boyle, Callahan, and Stralman now with the Bolts and Dan Boyle (although don't know when he will be ready after that hit last night), Dominic Moore (only a couple years with Bolts), and obviously Marty. The biggest things that sucks about this weekend is the freaking times that NBC is putting these games on. 1 pm east on Saturday, I would assume to avoid any conflicts with the Preakness. Sunday's game out west is a 3 pm east start which is ridiculous because that means noon out west. With this time of year an people wanting to be out doing something on the weekend, these times are ridiculous.

Well they are gonna get Tampa! Should be an interesting series. I think the Bolts match up pretty good with the Rangers, but would have like to have home ice. With many connections between these teams it should be fun. You have Brian Boyle, Callahan, and Stralman now with the Bolts and Dan Boyle (although don't know when he will be ready after that hit last night), Dominic Moore (only a couple years with Bolts), and obviously Marty. The biggest things that sucks about this weekend is the freaking times that NBC is putting these games on. 1 pm east on Saturday, I would assume to avoid any conflicts with the Preakness. Sunday's game out west is a 3 pm east start which is ridiculous because that means noon out west. With this time of year an people wanting to be out doing something on the weekend, these times are ridiculous.

Game 1 of the west is in Anaheim so the weather is basically the same any time. Actually in May and June you get the early marine layer that burns off about 10:30 AM or so. It's not a great time but that's hockey, life in the backseat of TV ratings. The players won't care, doubt the fans will either.

I think the Bolts match up pretty well with the Rangers and good luck to you guys as fans. A couple things to watch:
1. NYR had huge success in crashing and pinching D to help their forecheck. Tampa has some guys who can counter-attack much better than Washington so we'll see if Vigneault keeps up the strategy. I expect they'll get burned if they try it.
2. Tampa has had some pretty major consistency issues. While the Rangers aren't particularly explosive (they have speed but are far from volcanic), they can whittle you down into taking advantage of the lapses.
3. Rangers had major problems with getting it out of the zone vs. physical play in the corners. Tampa isn't that type of team except for Killorn and at times his line. That could be a nice offset to the dynamic triplets.
4. Of course goalies. Lundqvist plays deep in net and was actually over-committing on some of the Washington shifts the last 4 games. Uncharacteristic, we'll see if he hems his angles back in a bit. Bishop has been terrific, rebound control will be his key because the Rangers' speed really exploits rebounds.

Agree with all of your points.

I listen to NHL network on XM a lot and there is one thing that has been killing me listening to some of the people on the station. I have mostly heard it from callers and writers/radio guys that they interview, but some of the hosts have also said it. They say that they give the goaltending edge to Lundqvist. I am just not understanding that. Bishop and the Bolts just beat the goaltender who is everyone's consensus to win not only the Vezina, but also the Hart. Yes, in the regular season, NY had more firepower on offense than the Habs, but the Rangers are not exactly setting the world on fire as far as offense goes in the playoffs. I really think the Bolts have the edge in this series. Of course, I would like home ice, so that may play into it, but I honestly believe that Tampa is the better team. Also remember that the Bolts swept the Habs in the regular season. Some people said "The playoff are different, that won't matter." Some said that it absolutely mattered and they were obviously right. The Bolts took all three games they played this season against the Rangers. Should be a good series, I am looking forward to it.

I saw a little bit of the Bolts' game and both goalies had some good moments. Lundqvist seemed a little more like his normal self on aggressiveness.

Not a pretty GWG but that's hockey. The gods giveth and taketh away.

The thing I think the Bolts can take away from this game is that they got outplayed big time and lost this game 2-1. The two goals scored on them were interesting also. First one was definitely a defensive breakdown, but Bishop got his stick knocked out of his hand right before the shot. I think the Bishop was out of the crease and I think contact was coincidental, so I'm not saying there should have been a penalty, but Bishop saw the play and had no stick to play the puck with. The second goal was a fluke goal off a shin pad. Granted, Moore was in the right place at the right time, but it wasn't like he took a good shot to score the goal. All in all, what I am saying is that if the Bolts play like they should, they have a good chance going forward. Cooper has been very vocal the last couple days that he thought the team played poorly and that they would play better.

Those first 2 periods were INTENSE! And then the Lightning totally took control in the 3rd.

Those first 2 periods were INTENSE! And then the Lightning totally took control in the 3rd.
Dominated that game. Which of course means nothing for next game. Nhl playoffs are awesome

I can't believe the Bolts only have 10 forwards. What will happen if they play a team like the Ducks. They are so big and physical, you can't play 3 lines against a team like that IMO.

I can't believe the Bolts only have 10 forwards. What will happen if they play a team like the Ducks. They are so big and physical, you can't play 3 lines against a team like that.

Well, um, they DID play the Ducks this year so why are you asking that question? They played twice and Tampa won them 4-1 and 5-3. Dumbass.

Regular season and Stanley Cup finals are completely different competition. No comparison.

Exactly, look at the Washington Capitals, they have always had more than decent regular season records, and never get far in the playoffs. They haven't been built for the playoffs. Winning twice in the regular season over the same team as zero effect on upcoming playoff games. Calgary had a decent regular season and Anaheim was just too big and strong for them.

I haven't watched much of the Ducks this year only keying in on them playing the Flames and Hawks. But the size the Ducks have is impressive made the Flames look like pee wee's. By the time the finals roll around its about survival and last man standing.

One thing the Lightning have going for them was they didn't play elite in round one but survived and got it rolling specifically Bishop and Stamkos. If they stay hot especially Bishop. Goalie is the ace that can beat anything.

How good did the Atlantic get today? Babcock was a huge hire for the Leafs. Bruins stick with Don Sweeney sliding him up to GM. Hopefully Claude can adjust and they get faster.

The only bit of the playoffs I have seen happened to be the OT of the game last night. Picked a good moment to catch it. Seems like the Rangers' goalie should have stopped that one on a shot coming from the top of the circles. Didn't seem like he was screened by the two defenders. I guess the shot caught him off guard.

As much as Boston has owned Tampa, the Bay has owned the NYR even more. I just saw that the last four times that Lundqvist has given up 5+ goals has been against TB and Bishop is something like 10-1 against the Rangers.

I hate the NYR and am rooting hard for Tampa, plus Tampa has been a fun team to watch this year.

Is there a better moment in sports other than the home team winning in overtime in the playoffs in the NHL?

I listened to NHL Network Radio on the way back home from the game last night. Lundqvist was baffled by that shot. Said he saw it, thought it was right at him, and then next thing he knew it was in the back of the net. Said he will have to look at tape to see what happened. It was a very strange Q&A session with him. I don't want to read too much into this as a Bolts fan, but I starting smiling listening to his comments. He sounded like a goalie who was beat and didn't know how he was going to solve the team he was facing. He sounded defeated. Granted he had just given up game winning goal in OT after his team fought to tie it up at the end, but I haven't heard a goalie who is only down a game sound like that. I am sure he will get over it as he is a great goalie, but after listening to that, I would keep doing what I am doing if I was the Lightning. Keep pressuring. It was such a fun game to be at last night. Place was quieted quickly with the two goals but Stammer put the team on his back and did an awesome job getting the first goal to jump start the team. Say what you will about him early in the playoffs, but what he did last night looked like a leader. Not only did he score that goal, but he had 7 hits last night, and a HUGE one on Hayes in the corner. I am really liking the way the offense is playing right now.

As much as Boston has owned Tampa, the Bay has owned the NYR even more. I just saw that the last four times that Lundqvist has given up 5+ goals has been against TB and Bishop is something like 10-1 against the Rangers.

I hate the NYR and am rooting hard for Tampa, plus Tampa has been a fun team to watch this year.

Is there a better moment in sports other than the home team winning in overtime in the playoffs in the NHL?

I don't think that stat is accurate, but he has given up a lot of goals to the Bolts. The last time he gave up 6 goals in two consecutive games was in October to Toronto and Isles.

I don't think that stat is accurate, but he has given up a lot of goals to the Bolts. The last time he gave up 6 goals in two consecutive games was in October to Toronto and Isles.

I will look into it, the stat ran across the ticker on ESPN, I could have misread it or of course, it could be inaccurate to begin with.

I will look into it, the stat ran across the ticker on ESPN, I could have misread it or of course, it could be inaccurate to begin with.

You are correct with the 6 in back to backs, so I am not sure about what I read, I wish I could go back and reread it.

It might have been playoff games that the stat was referring to.

Lundqvist gave up 4 in a loss last year, but the NYR's gave up 5. The year before he did give up 5 to Boston. Again, I must have misread to ticker and now the ticker has been updated. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

I do think I am correct when I said that Bishop is 10-1 against the Rangers. That is one hell of a stat.

One of the reasons that I am really pissed that the Manchester Monarchs are moving is that I won't be able to see players like Tyler Johnson (what an incredible FA signing that was for Tampa!) and Ben Bishop and back in the day, Brian Boyle (who played for Manchester).

Once Boston missed on the playoffs, it became a contest of "who I don't want to win it all" and Montreal was outed by Tampa, and now the Bolts can get rid of the NYR's, and after that, I really don't care who wins, but I will be rooting for Tampa because they would have knocked out both Montreal and NY. Also, I have been to games in Boston, Hartford and Montreal several times, and years ago, while on vacation to visit my mother, she treated us to tickets to the Lightning and LA Kings (I forget what year) and we sat in the Carquest box and had a great time talking to the locals, who struggled a bit with the game. The locals would get confused with icing, offsides and especially they had trouble understanding "dumping" the puck. We were wearing tee shirts and shorts (it was 85 degrees outside) and many of the locals had jackets, hats and scarfs and the ragged on us a bit for wearing shorts and tees. One older lady felt sorry for us and bought us each a Tampa Bay sweater, so if I did have a 2nd favorite team, it would be the Capitals (loved Bob Carpenter, UNH's Rod Langway, Dino Ciccarelli, Adam Oates, Pete Peters & DALE HUNTER) and of course, Tampa because the fans that we interacted with were great!

I read an article years ago when the NHL was placing teams in the south, in places (places like Dallas and Tampa) where hockey was an event that occurred every fourth year event at the Olympics, that not just southerners, but that people who didn't grow up watching hockey, had a tough time following the puck during the game and that is one of the reasons that Fox decided to go with that puck tracker that they introduced several years ago.

Last edited:
Wild game 3! Both goalies with lots of issues but to be fair there were some snipes, too. To be honest both teams looked pretty disorganized for extended periods. I know that is partly the team speed being brought but there's no excuse for some of the incredible lapses. The quality of the western series is a full notch higher right now, but man the Lightning are entertaining to watch!

The stat was the last 4 games in which Lundquist has given up 5+ goals is all against TB (regular season and playoffs combined).

The stat was the last 4 games in which Lundquist has given up 5+ goals is all against TB (regular season and playoffs combined).

Gotcha. Tampa is a fun place to go see a game. Great arena, good crowd, always some talent walking around to look at ;). There are still a few people who wind up at games who really do not have any idea what is going on. Games, especially on the weekends, are an even to be at not necessarily because they are fans of the team. That being said, there are a lot of people who are true fans and fill the arena. There are a big mix of people at games. Northern transplants who have been in Tampa for years and grew up with hockey, people like myself who grew up in Florida and picked up the Bolts and hockey when it came to Florida, and of course there are always quite a few opposing team fans, especially during the winter. I still have a ton of friends who are shocked when I say I have season tickets to the Bolts.

Youth hockey is pretty decent down in Tampa as well. There have been quite a few youth teams who have won national tournaments out of Tampa. There is also a new rink going in Pasco county, just off I75, that is supposed to be the largest ice facility in the SE.
http://tbo.com/pasco-county/developer-unveils-plans-for-states-largest-ice-rink-in-pasco-20140529/

Thought this was pretty cool. Jameis decided to route for his new home town team.

Apparently he hung out with Michelle Wie too. Cool night glad hockey gain another fan.

Any hockey fan should do him/herself a favor and make it a point to watch some of the western finals. To think those teams played 3OT just under 2 days before last night's game is incredible, not just because they played it but because of the way it was played. Really good stuff.

I think it was the Caps and Rangers, where there was less than 10 minutes to play in game 6, I believe, and they went five or seven minutes of up and down without a whistle. That was crazy, great hockey.

I am glad that Tampa has embraced the Bolts, much like Dallas has accepted the Stars. I think that teams like OKC in the AHL has shown that NHL hockey can be supported in southern, non-NHL cities.

I enjoyed the game that I went to in Tampa and the fans have picked up on the game. I went to see Man United and the Revolution a few years back and the Revs fans needed instruction on the game, they were like the Bolts fans in the early years of hockey in Tampa, they were enthusiastic but still learning the game itself.

I feels asleep last night with the Anaheim/Chicago game on.

Any hockey fan should do him/herself a favor and make it a point to watch some of the western finals. To think those teams played 3OT just under 2 days before last night's game is incredible, not just because they played it but because of the way it was played. Really good stuff.
Amazing but that game Saturday may have topped that triple OT game. What a third period.

What a great win last night by the Bolts in game 5. Bishop and D was spectacular. Even the forwards were doing the dirty work last night. Boyle, Palat, everyone, were blocking shots and keeping the pucks from even getting to Bishop. I think I heard Boyle had 7 blocked shots. I'm sure the guys r feeling some of those this morning, but it lead to a win. Great team win. Stamkos with another tremendous game to continue his hot streak and progression as the leader of this team.

What a turn around game for Bishop! He made a few great saves that I thought for sure were going in, and if it was Game #3 or #4, they might have gone in. I have to applaud Cooper for not crumbling under pressure and replacing Bishop for Game 5.

I think that "tenacious" is the only word that I can describe the way that TB played defense last night!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT