ADVERTISEMENT

NHL season 1/2 way point (actually now 2/3 into the season)

Re: NHL season 1/2 way point

99'-that's exactly how I feel. It's not an extra point gained, it's an extra point lost, and if you have a Sidney Crosby on your team, the idea of a 3 on 3 in OT has to be mouth watering.

Originally posted by nolealum99:

I actually like the shootout for the simple reason that I hate leaving the rink without seeing a winner. That is the reason the NHL does it at all. They want a winner and a loser, although they don't really have a complete loser as the team that doesn't win still gets a point. I like the 3 on 3 that the AHL is trying. The stats show that more games end before the shootout. What I would like to see is the losing team, either in regulation or OT getting 0 points. That would make teams play harder in OT. Only if the game goes to a shootout should the losing team get a point.
Please forgive me if I misunderstand: you want losing in OT to get you 0 but going to a shootout guarantees 1? That would only encourage teams to stall the OT, get their guaranteed point, then "go for it" in the shootout.

This is closer to what we used to have: 5-5 OT was a joke back in the day because nobody wanted to lose the point. It was awful.

Make the regulation worth 3-4 points and anything beyond a regulation win holds less value...still worth something, but less. A couple college conferences have switched to this and it's much better.

Originally posted by NoleMoreTears:

I actually like the shootout for the simple reason that I hate leaving the rink without seeing a winner. That is the reason the NHL does it at all. They want a winner and a loser, although they don't really have a complete loser as the team that doesn't win still gets a point. I like the 3 on 3 that the AHL is trying. The stats show that more games end before the shootout. What I would like to see is the losing team, either in regulation or OT getting 0 points. That would make teams play harder in OT. Only if the game goes to a shootout should the losing team get a point.
Please forgive me if I misunderstand: you want losing in OT to get you 0 but going to a shootout guarantees 1? That would only encourage teams to stall the OT, get their guaranteed point, then "go for it" in the shootout.

This is closer to what we used to have: 5-5 OT was a joke back in the day because nobody wanted to lose the point. It was awful.

Make the regulation worth 3-4 points and anything beyond a regulation win holds less value...still worth something, but less. A couple college conferences have switched to this and it's much better.
I guess you and I differ a little in thinking. I just don't agree that both teams are going to half-ass it in OT just to get to the shootout, especially in division/conference games. You would have teams really pushing it in OT to make sure that they get that 2 point game against a foe. I do get what you are saying, but I think both teams would have to be motivated to just stall and let the game go further. I also think that you would have the teams who are genuinely better winning more often in OT if you drop to 4-4 and then 3-3 and also give them something to play for in OT. My thinking about the 1 point to both teams getting to shootout, and winner getting the extra is because once you get to the shootout, anything really can happen. Teams with a TJ Oshie-type player are going to be a big advantage in the SO even if they are not really the better team on the ice. That is the only reason that I do not like the shootout.

Shootout - I agree, anything can happen. Glad they decided the 1998 Olympics this way
frown.r191677.gif

OT - we already tried that and it was not good. Teams did not "go for it." At all. Barely ever. 4-4 won't really change the strategy...you currently see a top line and 1 D for 4-4 (most teams do this). What you'd have instead is a switch to 2 forwards and 2 D to protect a potential loss of a point. The OT would be more stagnant...

There are many classic psychology studies about human behavior in going for a potential gain vs. avoiding a potential loss. Huge differences!

Keep in mind teams already structure rosters and contracts with the shootout in mind. There are guys like Jussi Jokinen who was getting paid way more and had much more security because he was a great shootout guy. It's already valued at a certain level. I guess it's okay if that changes but there's a much easier way to do all this.

I think we can have our cake and eat it too: just make regulation worth more. Right now, you can win 5-0 or 2-1 in a shootout and get the same reward..now that's dumb.

I'd be willing to go this far:
regulation win: 4 pts
OT win: 2 pts
OT loss: 1 pt

Shootouts: do them and use them as tiebreakers in the standings.

I was going to post something about the points, then I saw NMT's. I was gonna suggest something along the lines of soccer, or even the World Juniors.

Originally posted by kooterridesagain:
Well the Pens still have Fleury so they'll once again be the team everyone wants to play in the playoffs. Such is life as a Pens fan and our "all star" fleury haha

Posted from Rivals Mobile
I watched a little of that game in which he got chased yesterday. Pens are a strange team to me. They look like world beaters at times, and like yesterday, look uninspired at times.
I am more so worried about the coach. Something just hasnt sat well with me with coaching for the past 2 months or so

I just realized Rick Peckham does the play by play for the Lightning. Wow that's awesome, he does a great job. I remember him on sports channel doing the whalers back in the day.

http://www.rawcharge.com/2015/2/9/8004875/an-open-letter-to-sticks-of-fire

I can't hear these guys at all from 326. But the article raises some good points though in soccer chants, a simple quick concise goal chant.

I can hear them from 114, but I had no idea what the hell they are saying. To me it always sounded like dumb chants and not related to hockey at all, so I just ignored it. Now that I know what it is, it is even worse!!

As you can see I edited the title slightly since most teams have already or will soon play their game which puts them over the 2/3 done threshold. The West still has a little bit to figure out as there are three teams within 5 points of the wild card spot. Minnesota, LA, and Dallas are all still alive, with Minnesota finally starting to play decent hockey again. On the Eastern side, there is only one team within that same 5 points, with Florida being 4 back of Boston. Barring a Toronto-like collapse from 2014, these are probably the teams vying for playoff spots. It should be an interesting closing stretch as the 8 teams in the East who are currently in playoffs spots are separated by only 9 points top to bottom. West is a little more stretched out as they are 15 points apart 1-8.

The Bolts better ready for a tough next couple of weeks against the West. They have St Louis at home tonight, who are the #3 team in the West, then go on the road against the #6, #10, #2, # 13, #12 teams and then home to face the Blackhawks the #4 team. The Bolts are currently just over .500 on the road and need to beat those lower ranked teams if they are going to keep their eastern lead through this road trip. I will be at the Anaheim game next Wednesday night.

St. Louis a very strong team...did you go to that game?

Have fun seeing one of my old teams, Anaheim. They are pretty good if Getzlaf gets back. #4 Cam Fowler emerging as an elite D man. Their addition of Kesler has helped.

Originally posted by NoleMoreTears:
St. Louis a very strong team...did you go to that game?

Have fun seeing one of my old teams, Anaheim. They are pretty good if Getzlaf gets back. #4 Cam Fowler emerging as an elite D man. Their addition of Kesler has helped.
I did go to that game. Last night was the one thing I worry about with the Lightning, and I guess all teams have these games, but last week they took it to the Ducks and the other not got the OT loss against Nashville. Last night, they came out completely uninspired, and were down 2 before you could blink. The Lightning come out every once in a while and look like the Barry Melrose coached teams of a few years back!! As I said, I know all teams have these games from time to time, but I absolutely hate it. If they played the first 40 minutes like they played the last 20, they win that game. Gotta put the effort forth every night. When they have their games like this, they hesitate with puck and that lets teams have the extra couple seconds to pressure and cause turnovers. When they are on, they are decisive and use their speed to keep other teams on their heels. Oh well, big road trip coming up, I would be extremely happy with a 3-2 stretch.

You may want to see about selling your tickets vs the Blackhawks. 300s are selling for around $120 each. You may get close to $300each for yours.which would make a nice little down payment for next season I'm sure.

I was actually going to sell those as I am out in Anaheim for 8 days and then need to spend some time with my wife and kids so I am not gonna go to the game. Glad to see they r going high.

Watching the Wings and Hawks tonight. I don't understand why they NHL broke this rivalry up, it's a shame.

Originally posted by timbo37059:
Watching the Wings and Hawks tonight. I don't understand why they NHL broke this rivalry up, it's a shame.
Yup, moving Detroit to the east sucks, I always loved the Colorado/Detroit games, as well.

Heck, Boston and Montreal only play 4 times a year and will not see each other again this year until the playoffs.

Malcolm Subban will be making his NHL debut tonight for the Spokes against St. Louis.

Originally posted by Manch.:

Yup, moving Detroit to the east sucks, I always loved the Colorado/Detroit games, as well.

Heck, Boston and Montreal only play 4 times a year and will not see each other again this year until the playoffs.
I don't get what the NHL has done this year scheduling. They played this format last year and played Montreal more I believe.

Avs and Wings was a war. I will always remember Vernon and Roy going to blows. Hopefully they move a team to Vegas to balance the conferences out.

Originally posted by JacksonvilleBlue904:

You may want to see about selling your tickets vs the Blackhawks. 300s are selling for around $120 each. You may get close to $300each for yours.which would make a nice little down payment for next season I'm sure.

I should have asked for more. I put them on yesterday and they sold for $225 each in 2 1/2 hours. Dallas tickets even went for $120 each. These weekend games are starting to be an extremely hot ticket.

Originally posted by Manch.:
Malcolm Subban will be making his NHL debut tonight for the Spokes against St. Louis.
That wasn't the best scenario to put him in, and he flunked the test. With the Bruin limping back to Boston with that unimpressive road trip, it will interesting to see what Chiarelli does before the deadline. Speaking of Subban, he or Spooner might be involved in a trade, or does Chiarelli stay put? He's been drawing fire since the Seguin and Boychuk trades, will this season be his undoing?

can't believe the panty wolverine scored today.

Jagr is really amazing. He is old and slow but still gets out done.

Lightning fans tell me a little about Connolly. Seems like we wasted 2 second round picks for him imo.
No shit, they gave up on Tyler Seguin because Seguin was a spoiled, reckless of the ice, lazy little shit but yet they gave up quite a bit for Connolly. I just saw the trade and my first reaction was to come here and ask the Bolts faithful.

ESPN gave the Bruins "B" on the trade because Connolly still has some upside, he's only 22 and isn't a rent-a-player:

I love the thought process here for the Bruins. Rather than using draft picks for a rental player, they get a guy in Brett Connolly who still has upside, and can be a part of the long-term plan. The strategy is impeccable. The young player they picked is debatable.
i

Connolly was the No. 6 overall pick in the 2010 draft, so his upside is considerable.

The problem is that it was too high a spot to take him in the first place.

"You really liked him as an underage and he was hurt in his draft year," said one NHL scout. "He was taken too high. He was taken on genetics. He's had a hard time finding the backup game. He is a big guy who is not imposing. You need something to go with his skill game."

Internally, the Bruins see a guy who is a mix of ability, size and upside, which made it worth the price. He's still just 22 years old and has a 30-goal season in the AHL on his resume. He has 12 goals in 50 games for the Lightning this season, but that's helped by an inflated 16.2 shooting percentage.

ESPN gave the Bolts a "B+":

Deals like this one are what allowed the Lightning to overpay for Braydon Coburn.

GM Steve Yzerman is smart to take advantage of a seller's market to build up assets to then pay those high prices to help his team. To get a pair of second-round picks for a player who had been passed by others in the system is a strong move.

Still, it's hard to give a team an A for a trade in which they deal a guy who cost them the No. 6 overall pick in a draft to begin with.

This post was edited on 3/2 3:31 PM by Manch.

BTW, on the Coburn trade, the Bolts got a "B-" and Philly got an "A".

To me Connolly is a guy, who like the article said, is a bit of a question mark. He is still only 22 and has had flashes of brilliance, most of those points have come in second part of season so far. But, he also has some times where he just stands around when he could be in better position. I like the kid and was a little surprised Yzerman gave up on him so quickly, but maybe he saw better opportunity with the picks. I am 100% convinced that we were loading up on the picks to do something in a different spot and could never get it done today. Either that or Yzerman was stock piling picks to make some moves after season. Unofficial count has the Bolts with the following picks in this years draft 1,2,3,4,4,5,6,6,7,7. I don't know what you are going to do with those 6's and 7's, except fill up Syracuse's lineup though.

I like the pickup of Coburn, but I just wonder if that was too high a price to pay to get him. Although it seemed as if it was really a sellers market this year. We did need help on D now though, so not a bad take. I really liked Gudas and think he will be perfect for Philly. Those Philly fans will LOVE that guy. He is just a fun guy to watch. I have heard however that the knee surgery may have had complications of some sort, maybe circulation, so may be a bit of a gamble if those are true.

Even though the Bolts needed the D, I honestly didn't expect much out of them today. Once they got started however, I thought they would pull off something else late. I guess we are happy to ride with what we got, with the exception of Coburn. Honestly it may not be a bad play. Lots of other teams at the top made a few moves and you never know how chemistry works out. If it does work out your GM is a genius, but if somebody like the Habs or Rangers GMs trades don't work, they are the goats. I guess we will see.

I like the upside. Maybe he sticks in Boston. I don't understand why you waive Cunningham though.

Cunningham was waived to make room, I thought I heard he was assigned but I am not sure, I'll read more up on it the AM, busy with the kids now.

Looks like they got a late trade moving Carron involving Talbert of the Avs.

Yep, finally unloaded him, now watch him blow up, lol. My biggest disappointment in these moves was no help on defense. Better hope everyone keeps healing up and starts playing better.

Bye Caron

They need to figure of the draft. No one I mean no one has developed by them. Pastrnak is good but has a long way to go. I do like Krug and Miller they are college guys that I felt could come in and play.

I like the pickup of Coburn, but I just wonder if that was too high a price to pay to get him. Although it seemed as if it was really a sellers market this year. We did need help on D now though, so not a bad take. I really liked Gudas and think he will be perfect for Philly. Those Philly fans will LOVE that guy. He is just a fun guy to watch. I have heard however that the knee surgery may have had complications of some sort, maybe circulation, so may be a bit of a gamble if those are true.
Agree I think Coburn is a good pick-up. Costly but he can be a valuable piece if you want to make a run. Certainly an upgrade from Gudas.

Defensive D with an edge and 20+ TOI = good for your playoff team. He's also pretty good at avoiding dumb penalties, another playoff key.

Connolly lasted long. What is he doing blocking shots at practice? #thanksclaude

Islanders traded Chad Johnson (backup goalie) for Michael Neuvirth. Johnson played poorly for all but about 4 starts. He was horrible until right after the all start game and then tanked the last few games he was in.

Halak has already broken the franchise record for goalie wins in a season and is starting to look a little fatigued.

Neuvirth should see significant time leading up to the playoffs if the Isles want to go anywhere...

Big game tonight between the Bolts and Habs. Bolts have had the best of the Habs this season so far, but those games were early in the season. Should be interesting to see how this game works out. If the game is tight and low scoring, I see the advantage to the Bolts. If this is a tight, low scoring game, then I would say advantage Habs. As my buddy, who is a Habs fans says "Habs have speed, but can't put the puck in the net." I am hoping for a big win for the Bolts tonight.

Last Ranger game tonight at the barn (Nassau coliseum) unless they meet in the playoffs.

There is an awful lot of hype around this one - few times since 1972 have both teams been in this position in the standings this late in the season. Coupled with the last regular season game at the coliseum and the overall excitement about both teams it's going to be quite an atmosphere.

GO ISLES!!!

Speaking of a pulse, the Bruins are on a bit of a tear, Rask and Marchand are looking like their old selves. Happy for former Tallahassee Tigers Sharks asst Jack Capuano, done a great job with the Isles. Wonder what happened to Tiger Shark Head Coach Terry Christensen? It's Google time.

Well that islander - ranger game certainly sucked!!!

I would not worry about the Bruins - it seems like they are going to get in and they are the only team in the East that I think the Islanders don't have a shot against....forwards are too big and I don't see any way that they keep a healthy Lucic from running all over them in a series.

Even as the 8 seed I would pick the Bruins to go to the cup over anyone else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT