ADVERTISEMENT

Nuisance Muscovy Ducks

Honey Fried Pickens

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2009
We have a Muscovy duck problem in our front bushes.

Anybody ever deal with these?

We have these geese that won't go home for the summer. They come from wherever and just poop everywhere. Or dog does a fairly good job at keeping them off our property, but they sure are some nasty beasts.

They only come at night and I've tried everything from spraying deterrent to chasing them with the leaf blower.

They continue to come back and crap all over the place.

I may invest in a high powered pellet rifle.

Pic of ducks? What do they do different than the mallards that are milling around?
They're big, they're ugly as sin and can be mean as hell. They'll come after you hissing if you get near their chicks or their nest.

A_Muscovy_Duck_-_Creative_Commons_by_gnuckx_(4693286493).jpg

The funniest thing I ever saw was while visiting my mother in Holiday Florida I saw the headline of the local rag: "Ducks are terrorizing our citizens".. On the front page was a women lying face down in the dirt with one of those big things standing on the back of her head. Now at this point I'm crying laughing, my mother and her friend thought I was heartless. But reading it made it worse. Apparently this women went to her mail box to get the mail, the ducks came up to her to extort some grub, she didn't make the payoff so they came a little closer. SHE decided that it would be a good idea to swing at them with her mail. She missed, lost her footing and fell on her face. The duck jumped on her back and she was too weak to get up, she just laid there kicking her feet screaming for help while the duck just sat there.
The other funny part of course is that one of her kind neighbors herd the screams, came out and saw what was happening. He then ran back in, got his camera and took a picture before helping her.

Holiday paid a trapper something like 7500.00 to capture them and release them far away. He did, he put them in Hudson. But, as we all know, ducks can fly, so guess who came right back??

We've tried everything. Its a female duck with 7 adolescents. Ive tried sprays, noise, water hose, leaf blower, firecrackers, etc... they will leave but will return when we are sleeping and crap on everything. Florida Fish and Wildlife will not come get them as they are considered invasive. Trappers need a license to trap Muscovvy which increases the cost. I was quoted $100 per duck. The state also encourages people to euthanize the ducks. I will be feeding them some poison corn.

I have this same problem and am dealing with it today.... I own a small business and I am overrun with them mostly because the property next to me is foreclosed and not maintained. I spoke with two trappers today one wanting $1200.... Spoke with FWC and they said I am allowed to kill all of them as long as I do in a humane manner. The FWC officer suggested a high power pellet gun to the head.

They have ruined my front area to my building... and get in the way of my customers... Bout to lay the smack down. if you read up on them they carry diseases that can spread to native ducks and wipe them out. Not sure on the eating of them but they are huge. Almost the size of a goose

I tried handing one a Ritz cracker and it bit the hell out of my hand. Hell of a bite. Made me see stars. I was about 10 years old at the time and impressed myself by not kicking it in front of smaller children.

We thought another neighborhood kid was a degenerate because he used to "catch" them with his fishing pole and close the bail when they were mid flight. Sounds like he was actually solving the problem while the rest of us were feeding it.

Reactions: Honey Fried Pickens
I tried handing one a Ritz cracker and it bit the hell out of my hand. Hell of a bite. Made me see stars. I was about 10 years old at the time and impressed myself by not kicking it in front of smaller children.

We thought another neighborhood kid was a degenerate because he used to "catch" them with his fishing pole and close the bail when they were mid flight. Sounds like he was actually solving the problem while the rest of us were feeding it.
I was about the same age when I took one out with a wrist rocket. You know how they fly low across the water and I took aim in a lazy "maybe I'll hit it but hope I don't" kind of way. Hit a big duck square in the neck and he dropped right in the water with a huge splash just like the old WWII footage of our ships shooting Japanese Zeros out of the sky. I ran inside, waiting for the man to come, but nobody did. The big ball of feathers floated out there for about an hour, then finally onto a neighbor's beach.

So, OP, between a pellet gun, a wrist rocket and poison corn, you should be all set.

Well, the corn didnt work at all.

May be time to try the pellet gun.

The problem I have is that there is 8 of them.

Im a pretty good shot, but trying head shots on 8 ducks moving around could be very difficult.

I dont want them to suffer.

Get a short 2x4 board or if you have a stump close by that is fine too.

Lay your hatchet next to the 2x4 or stump.

Take a metal clothes hanger and straighten it out except for the curved end (like a cane).

Pretend it is chicken killing day back on the farm. Or Thanksgiving. Whatever makes you more comfortable.

(follow your local laws, of course...just typing on a message board)

8 ducks, one sling blade, 5 minutes of elbow grease and then use the waterhose as needed. The end!

Get a short 2x4 board or if you have a stump close by that is fine too.
Lay your hatchet next to the 2x4 or stump.
Take a metal clothes hanger and straighten it out except for the curved end (like a cane).
Pretend it is chicken killing day back on the farm. Or Thanksgiving. Whatever makes you more comfortable.

My grandfather always raised chickens on his farm.
He had a method whereby he palmed the chicken's head/beak, picked it up, swung his arm once around and then jerked and the head would pop off.
But I supposed that takes a lot of practice...

We've tried everything. Its a female duck with 7 adolescents. Ive tried sprays, noise, water hose, leaf blower, firecrackers, etc... they will leave but will return when we are sleeping and crap on everything. Florida Fish and Wildlife will not come get them as they are considered invasive. Trappers need a license to trap Muscovvy which increases the cost. I was quoted $100 per duck. The state also encourages people to euthanize the ducks. I will be feeding them some poison corn.

I'll take care of your problem for $50/duck.

You need a coyote. We had tons and tons of them in my neighborhood. They were an absolute pain in the ass. Then, a couple of years ago the coyotes rolled in. I haven't seen a Muscovy since.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT