ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tally Golf courses

NMColtsFan06

Veteran Seminole Insider
Aug 27, 2007
A friends brother wants to meet us one Saturday in Tallahassee for some golf, any decent public course in the area?

Southwood has not been maintained well... but probably the better option if you are looking for value.

I am a member at Seminole Legacy and totally love the new course and redesign. It is public, but not the cheapest. Greens roll perfectly and it is a tough test for golfers. If you don't mind paying a little bit more, I would head to this course. Supports FSU and is a Nicklaus product.

Reactions: NMColtsFan06
Southwood is likely the best in town among publicly available courses. Capital City is good and open to the public too. Hilaman is short and narrow, gets a ton of play. Summerbrooke is a nice track but rarely in good shape.

Went to Summerbrooke last week. Best shape I’ve seen it in in years. Fairways were spot on. Glad to see it. I live a lot closer to Summerbrooke than Southwood. Southwood is still the best public course, always in great shape. Sucks I got priced out of Seminole.

Reactions: NMColtsFan06
Southwood has not been maintained well... but probably the better option if you are looking for value.

I am a member at Seminole Legacy and totally love the new course and redesign. It is public, but not the cheapest. Greens roll perfectly and it is a tough test for golfers. If you don't mind paying a little bit more, I would head to this course. Supports FSU and is a Nicklaus product.

what’s wrong with Southwood? I feel like it’s in good shape. I’m sure Seminole is top notch.

When you say pricey what do you mean? I am spoiled down here in central Florida, can play really good courses for 50 or less.

It is double that... it is meant to really limit play and I can understand local frustration. For Atlanta, it is priced about what you would expect.
I really don’t mind over 100 to play a great track, and I deff want to get up there and play legacy some time but for this trip I will have at least one hacker with me.

Reactions: BriSape23
what’s wrong with Southwood? I feel like it’s in good shape. I’m sure Seminole is top notch.

It is in good shape, but they have not maintained as well as they could have. Once St. Joe sold it off, it was not the same place or course. It is still a good course to play, but just not what it could or should be.

Seminole still has some growing to do, but you can see how that Nicklaus fella has a career in golf.

Last edited:
Reactions: fsu71
I really don’t mind over 100 to play a great track, and I deff want to get up there and play legacy some time but for this trip I will have at least one hacker with me.

I would wait a year at least then... I think it will be great but needs some time. You will be happy at Southwood for sure.

Went to Summerbrooke last week. Best shape I’ve seen it in in years. Fairways were spot on. Glad to see it. I live a lot closer to Summerbrooke than Southwood. Southwood is still the best public course, always in great shape. Sucks I got priced out of Seminole.

Good to hear about Summerbrooke. It's a fun, challenging layout.

I wasn't sure if Seminole Legacy was open to the public. Killearn and Golden Eagle are local private courses, the latter usually kept up very well.

A bum shoulder keeps me from playing as much as I used to.

Southwood is likely the best in town among publicly available courses. Capital City is good and open to the public too. Hilaman is short and narrow, gets a ton of play. Summerbrooke is a nice track but rarely in good shape.
If you hit a bad slice, stay away from Hilaman. The fairways are very close together and you’ll spend lots of time on the wrong fairway.

my kid works the bev cart at Southwood. they appreciate good tips! :D

Didn't know you had a kid here now, pretty cool. Hit me up on facebook if she needs anything.
Yep, Senior already! She graduates in December but is hoping to continue post grad studies at FSU. Aiming to enter PhD in Psychology but may take some time out to intern.

she’s gutted that football has basically been a train wreck her whole time there for one reason or another beginning with the jimbo mess.

Yep, Senior already! She graduates in December but is hoping to continue post grad studies at FSU. Aiming to enter PhD in Psychology but may take some time out to intern.

she’s gutted that football has basically been a train wreck her whole time there for one reason or another beginning with the jimbo mess.

My daughter is a senior as well. The last few years have hurt many a poor Nole.

Reactions: GbrNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT