ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 24 The US Open

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • Mickelson-847-Condon.jpg
    Phil Mickelson has six runner-up finishes at the U.S. Open. (Chris Condon/PGA TOUR)
• FIELD: Click here to see who's teeing it up at Chambers Bay

• FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 600 points.

MORE: The mystery of Chambers Bay | Memorable moments | Sectional qualifying | Hammer, 15, qualifies | Full Rd. 1 and 2 tee times

• COURSE: Chambers Bay, 7,742 yards, par 70. The Open’s first venue in the Pacific Northwest has existed less than eight years, constructed over an abandoned mining site along Puget Sound. Designer Robert Trent Jones Jr. was tasked with building a course that could host an Open, moving 1.5 million cubic yards of sand to create a links layout in the Scottish/Irish mold. That includes fescue turf throughout, making this Open the first to be played on all-fescue terrain seen at many a British Open. The U.S. Golf Association fast-tracked Chambers Bay within a year of its 2007 debut, awarding the course the 2010 U.S. Amateur (won by Peter Uihlein) and 2015 Open. This will be the first Open played on such a freshly minted site since 1970 at Hazeltine.

• CHARITY: The USGA distributes more than $5 million a year through its “For the Good of the Game” grants, helping create opportunities for underprivileged youth and people with disabilities. Among the recipients are The First Tee, LPGA-USGA Girls Golf, National Alliance for Youth Sports and National Alliance for Accessible Golf.

• FIELD WATCH: World No.1 Rory McIlroy, the 2011 champion, and Masters winner Jordan Spieth join defending champion Martin Kaymer to head a roster expected to include all of the top 60 in the world rankings. … Six slots remain unfilled for players who move into the world top 60 by Monday and haven’t already qualified. Kevin Kisner, runner-up at THE PLAYERS and currently No.57, is likely to get one. … A total of 17 amateurs are in the field, most since 1981. Fourteen of them punched their tickets via 36-hole sectional qualifying, including 15-year-old Cole Hammer.

• 72-HOLE RECORD: 268, Rory McIlroy (2011 at Congressional CC).

• 18-HOLE RECORD: 63, Johnny Miller (4th round, 1973 at Oakmont), Tom Weiskopf (1st round, 1980 at Baltusrol), Jack Nicklaus (1st round, 1980 at Baltusrol), Vijay Singh (2nd round, 2003 at Olympia Fields).

• LAST YEAR: Kaymer became just the seventh wire-to-wire winner in Open history, using a record 65-65 start as a springboard to an eight-shot romp at Pinehurst No.2. Only a late bogey kept the German from joining McIlroy and Tiger Woods as the only players to finish an Open in double digits under par. Even so, Kaymer’s final 1-under-par 69 was only par-buster from the final eight groups, and no one got closer than four shots over the final 48 holes. Rickie Fowler and Erik Compton shared second after closing 72s, though neither could mount a charge on the back nine. Kaymer – who also won the 2010 PGA Championship – joined Woods, McIlroy, Ernie Els and Seve Ballesteros as the only men to in the rankings era to win two majors and reach No.1 in the world before age 30.

• STORYLINES: Anxiety hangs over Chambers Bay, where newness and its quirky nature have fostered expectations ranging from curiosity to trepidation. It easily will be the most variable Open layout ever, capable of playing over 7,900 yards and with tees that can make a hole play uphill one day and downhill the next. … Par is even adjustable at Nos. 1 and 18, where one will play as a par-4 and the other as a par-5. Conditions will dictate which is which. … Spieth seeks to become the first man to sweep the Masters and U.S. Open since Tiger Woods in 2002. The Texan will have a local advantage in caddie Michael Greller, a part-time looper at Chambers Bay shortly after its opening. … Phil Mickelson, six times an Open runner-up, sets out once again in quest of the final piece to complete the career Grand Slam.

• SHORT CHIPS: Europeans now have captured four Opens in the past five editions, a reversal from the 40-year drought between Tony Jacklin’s victory in 1970 and Graeme McDowell in 2010. … Rose’s share of 12th last year made him just the fourth Open winner since 1991 to place higher than 30th in his title defense. Woods did it three times, with a best of sixth at Bethpage in 2009, joined by Retief Goosen (11th, 2005) and McDowell (14th, 2011). … A noticeable absence from Chambers Bay will be the massive hole-by-hole manual scoreboard that has graced every site since 1980. A gigantic video screen will take its place, as the USGA goes all-digital.

• TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, noon-8 p.m. ET (FOX Sports 1), 8-11 p.m. (FOX). Saturday, 2-10 p.m. (FOX). Sunday, 2-10:30 p.m. (FOX).

• RADIO: Thursday-Friday, 1-11 p.m. ET; Saturday, 2-10 p.m.; Sunday, 2-11 p.m. (SiriusXM).

Love this time of year and love watching the US Open. As a fan of a particular golfer there is no tournament I would like to see him win more than the US Open. . Chambers Bay offers Robert Trent Jones Jr his first US Open course , as a fan of the trail in Alabama ,watching the pros work around Jr's work this should make for an exciting week in the Pacific NW

DFS still holding the top spot
Overall%20after%20St%20Jude_zpsjjjx0x1o.png

IMO, this tournament is a real crap shoot b/c that course is so absolutely wild. There is no telling how anyone will perform on it. So here goes nothing.

Jason Day
Rory McIlroy
Justin Rose
Jordan Spieth

Interesting comment on ESPN front page..SeaPA and I both have Stenson...hope he can still carry that bag

Caddies%20Injured_zpsc8unad1y.png

Last edited:
If I didn't know this was the US Open, I'd swear they were playing in Scotland by the looks of the course.

You mean they aren't???? :D:D:D

Tiger off to a roaring start with a plus 2 in his first two holes.

Those of you who picked DJ look really smart right now. I couldn't pick him not after he withdrew after nine holes last week. Didn't know what kind of golfer was going to show up in Washington.

So what do y'all think of the Fox coverage so far? Even though they're not the voices I'm used to, the announcing is alright. I see that Fox can't resist using graphics following the path of the ball a lot.

Spieth on in two. On a 614 yard par five and he is on in two. And just 7 feet from the cup.

That is just sick.

So what do y'all think of the Fox coverage so far? Even though they're not the voices I'm used to, the announcing is alright. I see that Fox can't resist using graphics following the path of the ball a lot.

Its ok. Just will take a little getting used to for me. I think Pavin and Norman are doing well. I could do without Weiskopf.

Personally I like the tracer on the ball. Gives me a far better idea of where the ball is going.

Tiger +10 after a triple bogey on 14. This could top his 85 at Memorial.

Last edited:
Is it just tv, or are these the most horrible looking greens I've ever seen at the pro level? They look like what I used to play on at the old Rogers Park muni in Tampa.

Tiger looks just lost, and Fox is sticking right with every swing. They had to be hoping he would make some type of run today.

coverage is ok, always been a Norman fan

Is it just tv, or are these the most horrible looking greens I've ever seen at the pro level? They look like what I used to play on at the old Rogers Park muni in Tampa.

That's poa annua for you. It looks terrible and putts even worse.

The greens are a lot better at Rogers these days.

Fox coverage is absolutely horrendous. Listening to these announcers make me want to jump off a bridge. I like them all as people, but Norman, Faxon, Joe Buck, Corey Pavin all great people but horrible golf announcers.

Tiger is going to shoot 60 today. Of course, he'll still have 5 or 6 holes to go when he shoots it.

That was scary with Jason Day collapsing while walking up to the 18th green. Amazing he was able to get up and finish the hole. Vertigo is a terrible affliction.

The man could barely walk. I was surprised he could even hit the ball out of the bunker. Very surreal scene.

If Rory could've putted at all this week, he might be leading the tourney. Never seen a player have as many opportunities for birdies just to burn the edge.

Sentimentally speaking, wouldn't it be awesome if Day rips a 63 today? The crowd would be Arnie-esque tomorrow if that happened!

Sentimentally speaking, wouldn't it be awesome if Day rips a 63 today? The crowd would be Arnie-esque tomorrow if that happened!
Would be nice, but I'm just hoping he can make it through his round...Have already seen him kind of stumble around a couple of times here during the early holes. This is almost difficult to watch.

This isn't 1965, it's 2015. Day has plenty of money obviously, and isn't playing for a check to put food on the table. To continue to put himself through this suggests a level of intestinal fortitude that I can only imagine.

On a lighter note, did Spieth & Reed call each other before today's round to see what the other was wearing?

Last edited:
Wow...A couple of hours ago I thought Spieth was going to lap the field. A few loose drives and missed short putts later, he might not be even playing in the final group tomorrow.

DJ's simply just overpowering this course. I didn't pick him because when I do, he shoots snowmen. No snowmen this weekend.

Jason Day is freaking awesome! He's my new favorite golfer.

That was a hell of a gutsy round by Day. Forget that he is on my team, I hope he can play the 4th round b/c that would just not be right to have played that well not feeling well and not be able to complete the tournament.

Ben Hogan (in general, following his car accident)...Won several major championships.
Willis Reed (1970 NBA Final game 7)...His start inspired Knicks to the title.
Jack Youngblood playing in Super Bowl XIV with broken leg in January 1980.
Isiah Thomas (1988 NBA Final game 6) Scored 43 points on severely sprained ankle.
Michael Chang (17-year old fighting severe cramps defeats #1 Ivan Lendl in 1989 French Open 4th Round.) Chang goes on to win title.
Michael Jordan scoring 38 points in NBA Finals game 5 with 103-degree flu en route to NBA title.
BLAIR VARNES: Gives up only 3 runs in seven innings on a torn ACL as Noles were out of starting pitchers after battling out of the losers bracket in national championship game vs. UM in 1999.
Tiger Woods: Won 2008 U.S. Open on torn ACL.
Jason Day?? Perhaps tied for lead heading into final round of 2015 U.S. Open despite battling vertigo episodes.

Agree with BFT--I'm definitely rooting for Day tomorrow.

And one thing I really like about Fox's coverage is that their mikes are picking up the repartee and conversation between the golfers; the other networks don't do that much. Usually, they just have the chatter between player and caddie.

I notice Fox is prepared to bleep out some expletives as well. Several times the open mics have gone silent for a couple of seconds. Only once did part of a word get out. But yeah, I like the ability to hear some of the conversation between the golfer and his caddie.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT