ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 28 The Open Championship

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • SpiethFirstLook-847-Mike%20Ehrmann.jpg
    Jordan Spieth seeks to join Ben Hogan (1953) as the only men to capture the year’s first three majors. (Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)
• FIELD: Click here to see who's set to tee it up at the Old Course.

• COURSE: St. Andrews (Old Course), 7,297 yards, par 72. The Open Championship returns once again to golf’s ancestral home, where shepherds are said to have started knocking stones into rabbit holes as far back as 800 years ago. The Old Course was formalized in the 1500s with 22 holes – 11 out along the North Sea, 11 back. The layout was reconfigured to 18 holes by the mid-1700s, establishing the standard used today. Most of the course’s 112 bunkers were natural creations, offering little rhyme or reason to the golfer except to avoid them. The Open made its first visit in 1873 and has played 28 editions on the Old Course, crowning such champions as Bobby Jones, Sam Snead, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods.

• FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 600 points.

• CHARITY: The R&A contributes more than $7 million annually to programs designed to enhance the game worldwide. Particular emphasis is given to junior golf programs, along with growth initiatives in emerging golfing nations.

• FIELD WATCH: Jordan Spieth, just the sixth man to win the Masters and U.S. Open in the same year, heads a lineup expected to feature 79 of the top 80 in this week’s world rankings. The missing name, though, is the guy who would be defending – No.1 Rory McIlroy, who sprained his ankle in a pickup soccer mishap last weekend. … Openings remain for the John Deere Classic’s leading top-5 finisher not already in the field, plus three highest top-10 finishers at the Scottish Open still without berths. … Former champions Tom Watson and Nick Faldo will say their goodbyes to the Old Course. For Watson, 2015 marks his final Open. … Among the 12 survivors of local qualifying is Retief Goosen, twice a U.S. Open champion. Colin Montgomerie’s attempt fell short by four.

• 72-HOLE RECORD: 267, Greg Norman (1993 at Royal St. Georges).

• 18-HOLE RECORD: 63, Mark Hayes (2nd round, 1977 at Turnberry), Isao Aoki (3rd round, 1980 at Muirfield), Greg Norman (2nd round, 1986 at Turnberry), Paul Broadhurst (3rd round, 1990 at St. Andrews), Jodie Mudd (4th round, 1991 at Royal Birkdale), Nick Faldo (2nd round, 1993 at Royal St. Georges), Payne Stewart (4th round, 1993 at Royal St. Georges), Rory McIlroy (1st round, 2010 at St. Andrews).

• LAST YEAR: McIlroy became just the third man to win three majors by age 25, holding off Sergio Garcia’s charge on a Sunday that originally appeared set for a coronation lap. McIlroy led by six heading into the final day, but sputtered along the front nine while Garcia mounted pressure. The Spaniard made the turn in 3-under par, then eagled the par-5 10th to trim the lead to two. McIlroy birdied No. 10 to widen the lead, but Garcia’s birdie at the par-5 16th again pulled him within two. McIlroy followed with his own birdie at No.16, essentially sealing the outcome to finish with a 71. Garcia carded a 66, tying for second with Rickie Fowler (67).

• STORYLINES: Spieth, whose gripping U.S. Open win followed a Masters runaway, seeks to join Ben Hogan (1953) as the only men to capture the year’s first three majors. Tiger Woods (2000) is the only other to win three majors in a year. … Woods returns to the site of two of his three Open crowns, hoping to recapture some of the magic from 2000 and ’05. Signs of encouragement were evident in his last outing, with three rounds in the 60s at The Greenbrier Classic. … Emotions figure to run high when Watson crosses the Swilcan Bridge for the final time. The five-time champion will finish with 38 Open appearances, tying Jack Nicklaus and Sandy Hurd for No.2 on the all-time list.

• SHORT CHIPS: The World Golf Hall of Fame welcomes four new members in Monday ceremonies at the University of St. Andrews, enshrining Mark O’Meara, David Graham, Laura Davies and architect A.W. Tillinghast. It’s the first induction ceremony to be moved away from Hall grounds in Florida. … A purse increase moves the Open payout to $9.77 million at current exchange rates, leaving it just shy of the $10 million offered by the U.S. Open, PGA Championship and THE PLAYERS Championship.

• TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 4 a.m.-3 p.m. ET (ESPN). Saturday, 7 a.m.-2:30 p.m. (ESPN). Sunday, 6 a.m.-1:30 p.m. (ESPN).

• RADIO: Thursday-Friday, 7 a.m.-1 p.m. ET (ESPN Radio). Saturday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. (ESPN Radio). Sunday, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. (ESPN Radio).

Leader%20through%20John%20Deere_zpsf795gmoo.png

Good Luck to everyone this week as we watch to see if Jordan can capture third straight major

Ah, my fav golf tournament by far.

With the wind predicted to be what it is Friday and Saturday, this is going to be a crap shoot IMO.

Ricky Fowler
Dustin Johnson
Jordan Spieth
Henrik Stenson

O/U 71.5 on Tiger Woods first round score on the site I use. Prior to the Greenbriar, I was projecting 73.5. Crazy how that weekend swung things some with the oddsmakers.

A fool and his money......
Agreed. No way I'd touch the under in that bet with the winds predicted and his inconsistencies. While he played better 2 weeks ago, there's a big difference between the level of difficulty at The Greenbriar and St. Andrews.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
O/U 71.5 on Tiger Woods first round score on the site I use. Prior to the Greenbriar, I was projecting 73.5. Crazy how that weekend swung things some with the oddsmakers.

Tiger has now bogeyed the first hole in 6 of the last 8 majors. Incl today when he dumped his second shot into Swilken Burn.

Just for some perspective, David Lingmerth played the first nine holes in 11 shots better than Tiger Woods. Ouch.

Good to see Spieth and DJ off to good starts.

If that predicted weather does hit tomorrow, that should make for some "fun" golf ala that year Tiger shot an 81 in the third round.

Will probably jinx him by posting this, but Henrik Stenson is having a good round so far. -4 thru 7 holes. Hope he can post a good, low number today!

If he Stenson does crash over these last six holes (he has already bogeyed 10 and 12), I am going to blame you. :D

I first fell in love with golf back in '82 when I watched Tom Watson out-duel Nicklaus to win the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach. I was a huge Watson fan as a kid, and he always had a special affinity for Scotland as the fans who live there always have had for him after he's lifted the Claret Jug five times. A lot has happened during those 33 years, but here's old Tom still making his way across the links with huge crowds cheering the way.

This has turned out to be one strange Open what with the weather delays.

Surreal 11th with Koepka trying to putt in the wind. Took 30 minutes. Four groups back up on the tee to finish the second round and never did hit a shot when play was suspended due to high winds.

Just announced it will be a Monday finish as they will play the 3rd on Sunday and the 4th the next day.

Yes it looks like they will try and do that. The last group in on the 9th fairway and they can play until just about 10 PM their time.

And the whining from the pampered players has already begun. This is the one thing I don't like about professional golf. These guys don't get a course made out of carpet (see Open, U.S.) and they whine. Forced to play in less than ideal conditions? More whining. Have their precious schedules altered--whine whine whine. How can anyone making millions to fly around the world and play on the best courses, many of which I'd never be allowed on, find something to complain about? It irks me.

End of rant.

In their defense though Ed, when the wind is blowing hard enough that the ball can't stay still on the greens and they are not suspending play, they probably have a legit bitch. I'd bet both of us would wait out those conditions in the 19th hole.

In their defense though Ed, when the wind is blowing hard enough that the ball can't stay still on the greens and they are not suspending play, they probably have a legit bitch. I'd bet both of us would wait out those conditions in the 19th hole.

Just about every other sport in the world played outdoors makes their players perform in all weather conditions except lightning (baseball being the other exception). Plus, golfers are always arrogantly demanding absolute silence when they play. A batter can have someone hurling a hard object at them at 100 mph and the crowd can roar as loud as possible, but lining up a three foot putt? "Silence, I keel you!" That's why I love the Arizona tournament with the rowdy fans throwing beer cups--it humanizes the game for me.
In all fairness, if I could play golf worth a flip I might feel differently.

Incredible leaderboard.
will be interesting to see how Dustin responds to Spieth tying him and all those others within a couple shots.

Just about every other sport in the world played outdoors makes their players perform in all weather conditions except lightning (baseball being the other exception). Plus, golfers are always arrogantly demanding absolute silence when they play. A batter can have someone hurling a hard object at them at 100 mph and the crowd can roar as loud as possible, but lining up a three foot putt? "Silence, I keel you!" That's why I love the Arizona tournament with the rowdy fans throwing beer cups--it humanizes the game for me.
In all fairness, if I could play golf worth a flip I might feel differently.

Not sure if you have played the game or not, but it is not so much the constant noise factor that affects a golfer as it is the sudden sound that gets to a player. It makes you flinch. The club head does not strike the ball as you were intending to. All it takes is a couple of degrees not hitting the ball square you can can have a bad shot.

I guarantee if there was a steady noise going on in the background it would generally not be much of an issue. But of course golfers don't really want that so the pro can fully concentrate on the shot, a shot that requires far more precision that us hacks and on much tougher courses. The proper etiquette is for quiet.

I really like the team ESPN has doing The Open

How about Dunne, amatuer leading the Open

Spieth's in-round ability to make corrections when things aren't going perfectly is uncanny. We saw it in the last few holes of the final round at the John Deere last week, and earlier today the announcers remarked how he was coming up out of his putts on the front nine. JS of course made the necessary corrections and shoots 66.

Next year is the last year ESPN is doing it as it moves to NBC in 2017.

Damn, I hate NBC golf coverage. Their graphics always go off the edge of my tv screen, and I can't tell what players' scores are until they show the overall leaderboard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT